Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    To me, Roger Awesome Stern did a commendable job in succeeding of making the character a favourite (by far) among marvel comics readers.
    Yeah, Roger Stern did an amazing job on Monica (and with the Avengers as a whole during his run). And I think that's what C list characters often need... a writer that is willing to absolutely push that character as far as they can possibly go. Yeah, you get accused of being a "pet" character or whatever, but for non established characters that's what is needed to really establish them. She was absolutely great in Avengers during Sterns run. Shame it ended the way it did.

BANNED

https://screenrant.com/captain-marve...rs-friendship/
    Good to read about some push for the very first Captain Marvel woman's mom!

Monica definitely should have been pushed but i prefer her as Spectrum. That way her legacy is all her own plus the name fits the powerset.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Monica definitely should have been pushed but i prefer her as Spectrum. That way her legacy is all her own plus the name fits the powerset.
    Exactly. She's a great character that deserves more spotlight, but there's no particular reason she needs to be associted with the Mar-Vell legacy since she basically has nothing to do with it. And Marvel is such a generic name anyways. Losing it quite honestly is no big loss.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

We're just a couple of weeks away from her new Avengers book. Just have to make the most of it and enjoy.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

it's still way past time to put her into video games and animation. Somebody needs to advocate for her. It hasn't happened yet and it's shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Agreed. SPECTRUM gives her a way to make her own legacy.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

so in the 80s era, did any male heroes attempt to court Monica at all? Based on my memory, it doesn't seem so...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so in the 80s era, did any male heroes attempt to court Monica at all? Based on my memory, it doesn't seem so...
    Rhondney attempted to make a play for Monica in Secret Wars. He was shot down.

And at times I always felt there was SOMETHING between Starfox and Monica. I'm not quite sure I'd call it courting, but they had a lot of interacton between them.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Rhondney attempted to make a play for Monica in Secret Wars. He was shot down.

And at times I always felt there was SOMETHING between Starfox and Monica. I'm not quite sure I'd call it courting, but they had a lot of interacton between them.
    Starfox pretty much hit on everyone. And he wasn't above using his powers to seduce a woman, who otherwise would have turned him down flatly. The man is a walking date rape drug. That said, I doubt anything happened between him and Monica. Can't say the same for some of the other Avenger women.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Truth be told I always preferred Monica as Captain Marvel. That said Carol was more interesting to me as Binary.
    She should have never went back.

BANNED

When the comicbook character Carol Danvers evolved from Ms. Marvel into Binary..

..said comicbook character obtained a unique look and for the first time, gave herself a unique code-name!
    "Ms. Marvel" wasn't originally just a code-name but an actual personality seperate from Carol Danvers. So Carol Danvers wasn't her 'own woman' at all.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Truth be told I always preferred Monica as Captain Marvel. That said Carol was more interesting to me as Binary.
    She should have never went back.
    i guess the Binary era totally escaped me back then- her appearances must have been just before I began regularly buying comics; Rogue was well into her Carol-powers era, and the Starjammers were rarely dealt with anymore. And if any appearances were in comics that were comic-shop exclusive (I was a pharmacy buyer), I didn't have access. Didn't have regular access to comics at all during the early Ms. Marvel era, pre-Rogue.

Carol's "return" as the soon to be renamed Warbird, as part of Kurt Busiek's Avengers team, was my first ongoing introduction to the character.

There are just a whole lot of "gap years" when it comes to the published history of Carol, fan following notwithstanding. For a lot of years, she just wasn't there. Monica was.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 02-22-2019 at 12:25 PM.

BANNED

Thumbs up

deleted by self moderation
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 03-06-2019 at 01:36 AM. Reason: My resentment that this post where I comment about comicbook characters (read COMICBOOK CHARACTERS) was deleted. Nothing to do with something or someones that are put in a negative light.

I remember the issue that preceded this- I never got to read the follow-up. wow-- nice.