Page 26 of 208 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    And I finally saw The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and while the visuals were breathtaking and the casting was ingenious I felt there was too much action and not enough story. Good fun flick to pass the time though but not to get too deep.
    League of Extraordinary is probably the Alan Moore book that was the most filmable, but they took the least interesting path they could possibly take.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE

The movie is indeed the best Spider-Man movie out there, but it's a Miles Morales story and that character never checked as someone I'm interested in, although his story and personality are great and well realized. I guess I'm a stickler for not being a fan of Spider-People besides Peter Parker with Miguel O'Hara being the only exception, maybe cause he's from a distant future that used to be next century back at the time, and being the brainchild of Peter David.
    I'm curious; what makes it better than any of the live-action iterations from the past two decades? I loved Spider-Verse, but not being a Spider-Fan per se, I enjoyed the Maguire and Garfield movies a heck of a lot too.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I'm curious; what makes it better than any of the live-action iterations from the past two decades? I loved Spider-Verse, but not being a Spider-Fan per se, I enjoyed the Maguire and Garfield movies a heck of a lot too.
    1. It is a competently told story through and through.
    2. None of the villains has a split personality made up for this movie specifically that turns a nice person into a cold hearted killer just for chatting with it (Norman and Otto in the first trilogy, *snicker*).
    3. Threat from a villain comes because the villain(s) is/are threatening and done right.
    4. There is no "Hero that is very competent in previous film is suddenly made useless in his solo movie after establishing what he can do".
    5. No awkward romance.
    6. No "Don't make promises you can't keep" "But these are the best kind" exchange (although he did not break the promise he made).
    7. Rookie who needs help is a rookie who needs help and really improves.
    8. There is no "Hero of the movie places civilians in danger through ineptitude".
    9. Actions come with consequences, or as Mordo puts it "The bill always comes due".
    10. None of the story beats break rules established earlier.
    11. Doc Ock is a threat by keeping the super strong, fast, and agile opponent at bay instead of receiving a barrage of punches in his (her) face regardless of not being powerful in any significant way.
    12. And most importantly; characters and story are established properly, none of the set pieces is one dimensional and/or useless and/or uber powered for some weird reason.

I enjoy all the live action entries, but none of them cover all these points properly.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Is Mahershala Ali bad in it? Because I've seen tons of reviews talking about how this is the first film they didnt like him in. Even if the story is cliche' or the characters one dimensional I mean I feel like people arent managing expectations. Your seeing a movie based on an Anime if the action is amazing and beautiful I thinks that's a win and everything else is just icing on the cake. Especially compared to most anime adaptions we get. I'm still waiting for redbox or Netflix though, never read the anime and the trailers didnt interest me at all. But seems like most people on here who are into geekdom like me loved it so definetly gonna watch it just not paying 16 bucks a person
    His performance was ok. The way this film was, I don't feel like he had a lot of flexibility to break out and make the role his own. And his role was to be a distant, unemotional puppet for the real bad guy. Maybe the people who didn't like it didn't like the role itself?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    His performance was ok. The way this film was, I don't feel like he had a lot of flexibility to break out and make the role his own. And his role was to be a distant, unemotional puppet for the real bad guy. Maybe the people who didn't like it didn't like the role itself?
    Well yea the reviews dont seem to be an attack on Ali but more the story and characters. The word one dimensional gets used alot when I read through reviews.

Astonishing Member

Horror movie with Thomas Jane. Mediocre, but Thomas Jane plays the Farmer dude very well...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post

Horror movie with Thomas Jane. Mediocre, but Thomas Jane plays the Farmer dude very well...
    Just the trailer looked boring af. Couldn't bring myself to watch it

Didn't get to finish it before, but I went back and finished watching Back to the Future III on Netflix.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Infinity war but cut it off before the snap. Feel like that overshadows a movie with alot of great moments. This movie made me excited for another Dr Strange movie(Thought the first was ok but real low on my MCU list) really want another Thor movie(prior to Ragnarok I could care less about the character. Just hope they take the Infinity war tone. Thor is still GOTG style comedy but they let the drama breathe. Better balance imo). And I'm hoping the Eternals movie is tied to Titan. Wanna see if they make Thanos a freak among eternals or if titan was a race of people who looked like Thanos(hope not). Also curious if the directors ever stated if the stone were augmenting his strength and durability when he wasnt using them. Cause he takes some damage that do nothing to him and was atleast as strong as the hulk in pure strength. Just curious if he loses the gauntlet is he still that powerful. Guess we will find out.

Bumblebee at a friend's house. The opening sequences looks like an animated movie, as it didn't seem to have the same polish and texture as the rest of the film. However, the movie was really well done and I can fully get behind more movies like this one. The first Bayformer movie is still my favourite of all the live action ones, but this one is a very, very close second.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

Watching MIRACLE MILE (1988) was like being in a car with a driver that you're not all that confident knows what he's doing and you're worried that you'll end up somewhere you don't want to be before the trip is over. That he does get you there in the end is so amazing that you almost don't mind the chaotic route to arrive there.

After watching it, I saw a Siskel & Ebert review where Roger said that the set decoration was too perfect. But Roger, that's the beauty of the movie now--looking back at the 1980s in all their neon garishness--Mare Winningham's haircut alone is enough to make one think the 1980s were a failed experiment, begging for a mercy killing. And seeing that entire world destroyed throughout the movie as it all goes to hell, that's its crowning achievement. If the set decoration had been less Hollywood and kitsch, there wouldn't have been as far to fall.

Apparently Steve De Jarnatt used the money he made from writing STRANGE BREW (1983) to direct this magnum opus. His script for MIRACLE MILE had been floating around Hollywood for years, but De Jarnatt didn't want other hands to corrupt his work and held out on having it made until he could do it his way. And he made it in the nick of time, before the Cold War had ended. Another victory for STRANGE BREW, the movie that keeps on giving.

Spider-Verse was back in theaters last weekend so saw that on the big screen a second time.

Ragnarok. Holds up, though there are still parts where is just plain went too far into goofy territory. It was very interesting to watch again because it leads right into Infinity War. Made me appreciate the whole saving of the Asgardians a little less knowing that they all got killed five minutes later anyway.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Ragnarok. Holds up, though there are still parts where is just plain went too far into goofy territory. It was very interesting to watch again because it leads right into Infinity War. Made me appreciate the whole saving of the Asgardians a little less knowing that they all got killed five minutes later anyway.
    Only half of them, Thor says Thanos killed half of his people. Valkyrie and Korg were apparently in that half the was spared. I assume they were in the other half the ship we see floating across from them main part
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 03-05-2019 at 10:31 PM.

I watched Instant Family last night.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.