Page 55 of 222 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    This show hasn't done Hal TOO dirty, he didn't shove her into that locker like I was expecting!
    I'm still not sure how I feel about the "jock" thing. Feels kind of lazy to give him that approach, especially given the tragic aspect of Hal's early years with his father dying and all of that. Why would you make a character like this a football jock just because he's known to be cocky and sometimes too confident.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-15-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I actually liked Sinestro in the film as well. He was probably the only good thing about the film.
    It's a shame we never got see Mark Strong as villain Sinestro leading the Sinestro Corps. in a live-action movie.
    This show hasn't done Hal TOO dirty, he didn't shove her into that locker like I was expecting!
    I'll be honest, I was kind of worried about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's a shame we never got see Mark Strong as villain Sinestro leading the Sinestro Corps. in a live-action movie.
    At least he would likely redeem himself with Shazam. Sinestro needs to be done right so maybe they should hold off on him for a while. Have Atrocitus and the Red Lanterns be the villains in the reboot if it ever happens.

It's so nice to see them back together!

Looks like Roy has been recast though.
    i blame heroes in crisis.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Rikdad has a new entry on his blog about issues 2-5 and its great stuff as usual.

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2019/03/g...ntern-2-5.html

Back in the day, during the build up to Blackest Night, I remember lots of Hal haters complaining that Johns' run could just as well take place with some other earth Lantern in place of Hal. But I think as far as Morrison's run is concerned, so far, it couldn't have worked with any other hero or earth Lantern but Hal. Walking through the horrors of Vor with that kind of steely calm, facing its grim trials, taking on its hordes of monstrosities while chit-chatting with the cosmic vampire's daughter is a feat only Hal could have pulled off.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    Rikdad has a new entry on his blog about issues 2-5 and its great stuff as usual.

Back in the day, during the build up to Blackest Night, I remember lots of Hal haters complaining that Johns' run could just as well take place with some other earth Lantern in place of Hal. But I think as far as Morrison's run is concerned, so far, it couldn't have worked with any other hero or earth Lantern but Hal. Walking through the horrors of Vor with that kind of steely calm, facing its grim trials, taking on its hordes of monstrosities while chit-chatting with the cosmic vampire's daughter is a feat only Hal could have pulled off.
    I agree with that. Because of the number of Earth Lanterns and the revolving door that is the Justice League membership, there's always this notion that Hal Jordan is completely interchangeable when that's rarely ever been the case.

I really don't get that.

Hal's personal relationships and rivalries were so integral to what was going on back then that I don't see how you could just up and plop in another Earth Lantern to carry on those plots and it would be the exact same.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really don't get that.

Hal's personal relationships and rivalries were so integral to what was going on back then that I don't see how you could just up and plop in another Earth Lantern to carry on those plots and it would be the exact same.
    I'd agree but their argument would be along the lines that with some minor changes here and there, the story would largely remain the same with any other Earth Lantern. And I think to an extent, there would be some truth to this as far as Johns' run post-Blackest Night is concerned where Hal often felt like a secondary character in his own book who was merely reacting to things going on around him and hardly had any agency of his own.

I'd agree but their argument would be along the lines that with some minor changes here and there, the story would largely remain the same with any other Earth Lantern. And I think to an extent, there would be some truth to this as far as Johns' run post-Blackest Night is concerned where Hal often felt like a secondary character in his own book who was merely reacting to things going on around him and hardly had any agency of his own.
    It definitely felt like the main drive of that half of the run was finding the Entities for the other Corps. and exploring the representatives of each one, and Hal was kind of just there to play the hero role and keep the other Lanterns in check, but there was also that sub-plot of how much he was focusing on his GL life at the expense of his life as Hal Jordan.

Mighty Member

Yeah, I feel like the "you could tell the exact same story with any GL but Hal" is ignoring how unique they ALL are, not just Hal. They're ignoring a lot of Hal's personal history why certain stories in particular wouldn't work with other lanterns. They're not just interchangeable.

Incredible Member

Sigh.

We are all talking about how different and unique each GL is, and then the solicitation for The Green Lantern #8 reads: "Green Lantern teams up with Green Arrow to stop a cosmic drug cartel that’s using Earth as its main distribution base!” which is way too close to the Black Circle: Urban Knights storyline from 2003, in which Green Lantern (Kyle) and Green Arrow (Ollie) worked together to "save Earth from a evil alien Crim Syndicate bent on taking over."

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Sigh.

We are all talking about how different and unique each GL is, and then the solicitation for The Green Lantern #8 reads: "Green Lantern teams up with Green Arrow to stop a cosmic drug cartel that’s using Earth as its main distribution base!” which is way too close to the Black Circle: Urban Knights storyline from 2003, in which Green Lantern (Kyle) and Green Arrow (Ollie) worked together to "save Earth from a evil alien Crim Syndicate bent on taking over."
    Not sure I understand this point. Hal would not handle the bad guy in the story the same way Kyle would, regardless if there's similarities on a conceptual level. There's little amount of uniqueness and originality in comics anymore and similar stories are being done all the time, it doesn't mean the story would transpire the exact same way no matter what representatives of a legacy mantle happen to participate in it. For instance, A Death in the Family would not be the same had Dick been the featured Robin instead of Jason.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Sigh.

The basic premises for both stories sound pretty generic and can be executed any number of ways with the characters involved.

And Hal was teaming up with Ollie looooong before Kyle was. This is first and foremost a homage to those stories, not the Black Circle.

Sounds like the Kyle story was an homage to Hal's stories anyway. Why else would ollie be there?