Page 203 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1031531931992002012022032042052062072132533037031203 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Not bad. Did about like ant-man. Doing good in china.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4501&p=.htm
    That’s great to hear! If it can do Antman-like numbers it should definitely be considered a success. Especially with it’s relatively small budget. hopefully that assures a sequel.

Extraordinary Member

Box Office for Shazam Opening Weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46csa44M2dw

Here some more views about the dceu films in this thread.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...52#post4294452

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Box Office for Shazam Opening Weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46csa44M2dw

Here some more views about the dceu films in this thread.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...52#post4294452
    I agree and disagree with Grace. Totally agreed that putting this movie in between Captain Marvel and Endgame was incredibly stupid. Endgame is absolutely dominating the comic book movie conversation leaving Shazam as an afterthought. WB is just very lucky that Shazam had a relatively low budget.

I disagree that this possibly reveals that Shazam isn’t good or popular enough to be a movie franchise. A lot of the Marvel films didn’t break records with the first movie of a franchise. They won the audience over with the initial film and word of mouth created excitement for the sequel. Shazam 2 could/should have the Shazam Family face off against Black Adam. Or at least deal with him in some way. If the Black Adam movie is successful than that will build up excitement for their inevitable clash.

Retired

I agree with Grace about the mistake in releasing this movie in advance to all the privileged people who then talked about it on social, two weeks ahead of when the movie actually came out and us plebeians had the chance to see it. All that hype that they had was wasted and other hype--for ENDGAME, for JOKER--became the talk.

Been to two showings and both times the audience reaction was tepid.

However, it's probably enough of a success for DC--in that it changes the conversation about DC movies being so dark and it didn't cost much to make. They should try to get Black Adam in some sort of movie soon. I think if the box office for SHAZAM! had been higher that would have convinced the Rock to do his movie sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I agree with Grace about the mistake in releasing this movie in advance to all the privileged people who then talked about it on social, two weeks ahead of when the movie actually came out and us plebeians had the chance to see it. All that hype that they had was wasted and other hype--for ENDGAME, for JOKER--became the talk.

Been to two showings and both times the audience reaction was tepid.

However, it's probably enough of a success for DC--in that it changes the conversation about DC movies being so dark and it didn't cost much to make. They should try to get Black Adam in some sort of movie soon. I think if the box office for SHAZAM! had been higher that would have convinced the Rock to do his movie sooner.
    Having a free account with Fandango makes me privileged? :P
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I can see what DC was going for with the preview screenings. Though Wonder Woman and Aquaman (and now Shazam) have started to change the narrative, the unfortunate fact is that the DCEU still has a lingering reputation for putting out movies that aren't very good. Releasing Shazam early to select viewers and ending the critic embargo weeks out was likely meant to reassure audiences that no, this one was actually good, and show that the studio was confident people would like it.

It's just that, as someone above pointed out, they released it in between two huge juggernauts that effectively drowned out the conversation, making the attempted good publicity moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I disagree that this possibly reveals that Shazam isn’t good or popular enough to be a movie franchise. A lot of the Marvel films didn’t break records with the first movie of a franchise. They won the audience over with the initial film and word of mouth created excitement for the sequel. Shazam 2 could/should have the Shazam Family face off against Black Adam. Or at least deal with him in some way. If the Black Adam movie is successful than that will build up excitement for their inevitable clash.
    Right. Same thing happened with the Nolan Batman movies. Batman Begin got really good reviews but only did okay at the box office. The positive word of mouth led to it getting a new audience on home video and more hype for the sequel, which ended up smashing records.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Even the original Iron Man, considered to this day to be the best MCU film, was completely overshadowed by TDK.
    I don't think it was completely overshadowed or overshadowed.
    Folks still talk about it today.
    Most critics think black panther is the best mcu movie so far by the way if you look at the RT score and average critic rating.

Iron man's RT score is higher then the avengers but the avengers average critic rating is higher then iron man's.
    Most of the audience think the avengers and black panther are the best mcu movies if you look at cinemascore.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Having a free account with Fandango makes me privileged? :P
    Yup, you're American--the most privileged people in the world. I tried to find a Fandango showing in Canada and couldn't--and my best bet would have been to fly to an American city just to see the movie (which I seriously considered, but that seemed ridiculous after a few minutes thought). But also, were there Fandango showings in every part of the United States? Could you realistically see the movie anywhere in the country or was it in major cities and only at select cinemas? Seems impossible that they could have had SHAZAM! in as many theatres as it got when it went into wide release.

I agree and disagree with Grace. Totally agreed that putting this movie in between Captain Marvel and Endgame was incredibly stupid. Endgame is absolutely dominating the comic book movie conversation leaving Shazam as an afterthought. WB is just very lucky that Shazam had a relatively low budget.

Not even Aquaman is popular enough to be successful movie franchise on its own, Ok the first movie did beyond expectations, on the sequel we have no guarantees, most depends on the plot, if Wan will be director etc The first one was an origin movie, the second movie must now excel expectations of the first. Same for Shazam, with the problem of being even lesser known character than Aquaman. Despite coming out 4 months after AM, it did not capitalize on that DC movie success, and earned less on the opening weekend. Depends on character popularity. Had it been a Batman movie it would have earned twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    Not even Aquaman is popular enough to be successful movie franchise on its own, Ok the first movie did beyond expectations, on the sequel we have no guarantees, most depends on the plot, if Wan will be director etc The first one was an origin movie, the second movie must now excel expectations of the first. Same for Shazam, with the problem of being even lesser known character than Aquaman. Despite coming out 4 months after AM, it did not capitalize on that DC movie success, and earned less on the opening weekend. Depends on character popularity. Had it been a Batman movie it would have earned twice as much.
    Batman Begins only made $48 million on its opening weekend. Word of mouth (and Ledger’s performance) made the sequel a mega hit.

If the Black Adam movie is a success and they have him face the Shazam Family in the next film it could be a highly anticipated showdown.

Batman Begins only made $48 million on its opening weekend. Word of mouth (and Ledger’s performance) made the sequel a mega hit.

If the Black Adam movie is a success and they have him face the Shazam Family in the next film it could be a highly anticipated showdown.
    could be, but don't make comparisons with shazam and batman. Nowadays even a mediocre batman film will always do better than shazam. He's so more popular than 80% of all the DC characters. Dc depends mostly on Batman, while shazam worldwide is an obscure character to non comic readers.
    Even Aquaman despite its success can't be sure of repeating such success. After all, domestically Aquaman did not do well compared to WW, while internationally it was viceversa. There are many factors, character popularity, budget, promotion etc

And Black Adam is likely gonna be a much bigger deal alone because of Dwayne Johnson's popularity. That'll boost the Shazam franchise.

I think Shazam is doing well so far for an unknown character to general audiences and the lower budget. If it gets strong legs it will be fine. Most people love it. I think the trailers probably focused too much on the comedy and some people thought it looked like a cheap parody on superheroes.

"Box office: #ShazamMovie over-performs to make $53 million on opening weekend, nabbing an A Cinemascore while doing so. Nearly 1/3 of audience was under 17.."

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status...17271615365121

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I think Shazam is doing well so far for an unknown character to general audiences and the lower budget. If it gets strong legs it will be fine. Most people love it. I think the trailers probably focused too much on the comedy and some people thought it looked like a cheap parody on superheroes.

"Box office: #ShazamMovie over-performs to make $53 million on opening weekend, nabbing an A Cinemascore while doing so. Nearly 1/3 of audience was under 17.."

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status...17271615365121
    I wouldn't call Captain Marvel an unknown character. The word Shazam is pretty ingrained in pop culture.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I agree with Grace. Two weeks ahead of the movie was too early and putting it between two big Marvel events (which were close together) was sapping its interest and headlines. However this monday reports sound good for it.