Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Yesssss. I wish DC had an editor who had a clear vision for their cosmic titles. I’d love to see them utilize books like LEGION, LoSH, Darkstars, Omega Men, a Hawkworld title, an Adam Strange book, and the Green Lantern books. Build some Annihilation type events around them. Keep it to one or two writers, to keep it from getting too convoluted.
    Yeah, remember Trinity where L.E.G.I.O.N., Darkstars, and Green Lantern all crossed over with each other?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    This was my favorite series for quite a bit I still just call it L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 and ignore the other years titles. Although I read the whole thing originally you only need the first 50. Comixology finally added all of the series and I happily gobbled up two issues a week until issue 50 then dead stop. Waid on DC books is poison to me.

I picked up the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern book in the $5 sale late last year. REBELS issue one was by Pyer and it was Terrible as well. Talk about getting Vril Dox completely wrong, wow. Stealth felt completely wrong as well.

I have never read the run by Bedard but I did read the first issue and it felt like the run would be more decompressed written for trade story telling I dislike.

I'd recommend the first 50 to anyone.
    I have only read issue 50 and the arc following that landmark, and I have to say that the brief issues that I had encountered that were post issue 50 were quite good.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yeah, remember Trinity where L.E.G.I.O.N., Darkstars, and Green Lantern all crossed over with each other?

Loved this crossover! I just found all 8 parts in the bargain bin not too long ago... picked them up just because.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Yessss! It’s on my current re-read schedule.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Loved this crossover! I just found all 8 parts in the bargain bin not too long ago... picked them up just because.
    I may be wrong but I think this was the last storyline that Barry Kitson drew on the book. I know he didn't draw every issue - and even took a 7 or 8 issue break during it's run. But his artwork was so identifiable with this book. So glad he stayed with it as long as he did.

I may be wrong but I think this was the last storyline that Barry Kitson drew on the book. I know he didn't draw every issue - and even took a 7 or 8 issue break during it's run. But his artwork was so identifiable with this book. So glad he stayed with it as long as he did.
    I think you're right.

After Trinity (or shortly after) the guy who would eventually draw R.E.B.E.L.S. took over and closed out the series. I wanna say Aucoin or Jorgensen...? Or maybe both.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Extraordinary Member

I think you're right.

After Trinity (or shortly after) the guy who would eventually draw R.E.B.E.L.S. took over and closed out the series. I wanna say Aucoin or Jorgensen...? Or maybe both.
    According to the cover of the final issue of L.E.G.I.O.N., it was both. Glad Kitson at least did the covers up until the end.

I think you're right.

If I recall correctly, Jorgensen closed up the L.E.G.I.O.N. series and launched R.E.B.E.L.S. (and I have to say I was not a fan), and then, shortly after, Aucion took over the book and stuck with it until the end (and I have to say, though not Kitson's level, his art was much more to my liking).

Peace

Unfortunately, DC hasn't digitized the first 47 issues of the GL run that ties into it, yet. Wouldn't mind checking it out.
    Think I stopped reading Legion '89 after a few issues. Not because I didn't like it, but because I was focusing more on JLA and JLE at the time.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

According to the cover of the final issue of L.E.G.I.O.N., it was both. Glad Kitson at least did the covers up until the end.

Ah ha! Close enough.

I haven't re-read those late issues in years, but I don't recall hating them...? In fact, I know I was really looking forward to R.E.B.E.L.S., so they must not have been that bad.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Extraordinary Member

Ah ha! Close enough.

I haven't re-read those late issues in years, but I don't recall hating them...? In fact, I know I was really looking forward to R.E.B.E.L.S., so they must not have been that bad.
    It's been awhile for me too. I just remember Dox and Stealth's kid taking over LEGION and the old gang went on the run in REBELS.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Think I stopped reading Legion '89 after a few issues. Not because I didn't like it, but because I was focusing more on JLA and JLE at the time.
    I have a special name for LEGION '89 issues #1-12 - I call them 'Comic Book Writing 101'. Giffen took 12 issues to lay down a perfect foundation of stories and relationships that would last at least through issue #50.

While I didn't always agree with the direction Alan Grant took it (especially one critical death of a favorite character), he was a great writer until he stepped down for health reasons. But Kitson did a good job with writing the book from that point on. I admit I wasn't a big fan of REBELS the first go-around.

Extraordinary Member

For any who are interested, it looks like the website Legion Of Super Bloggers will be covering L.E.G.I.O.N '89

https://legionofsuperbloggers.blogsp...roduction.html

I enjoyed this series, but I'm gonna be honest here... I mainly read it for the Lobo content.
    "Don't leave home without your sword - your intellect."
    —Alan Moore

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #1

https://legionofsuperbloggers.blogsp...gion-89-1.html

Last edited by caj; 08-13-2019 at 12:01 PM.