Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

DC's Cyborg is in no position to turn away some of Coates stature. I'd be thrilled to have what Black Panther has right now over the treatment Vic has had. Stealth writing and all.

Like it or not, T'Challa's world is still being built up. Characters from film are being elevated and acknowledged. I'll take that for Vic over the nothing they've allowed so far.

The only great thing that's happened to Cyborg is the Ivan Reis design.

BANNED

Ta-Naheisi Coates is terrible -___-

But I will say this. If you're looking for a story about black people being black, he will definitely give you that!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post

But I will say this. If you're looking for a story about black people being black, he will definitely give you that!
    Thank you, Cyborg needs a more sci fi approach, Coates is a non fictional social political novelist. The reason a lot of black characters don’t work is because the racial/social aspect always takes over and they disregard that it’s supposed be to a sci fi adventure not a commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yes that is him. He's behind both Cyborg series, Static, Katanna & Black Lightning's mini.

Going by how badly and trope infested the BL mini was-Cyborg's handling of a black man might have been worst under Richards.

NO NO NO We do not need a Cyborg book being a stealth book for whatever pets Coates would bring to DC like we saw with Black Panther.
    We have had too many projects be stealth books or shows for everybody BUT who the lead is suppose to be.

It does not matter who you get if you have Richards as the editor. Funny the only black lead book that he did not edit actually sold and got good reviews-Batman & The Signal.

Before you choose a writer whose the editor?
    Coates isn't writing Captain America like that so maybe he won't do that to Victor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HardKnocks View Post
    Thank you, Cyborg needs a more sci fi approach, Coates is a non fictional social political novelist. The reason a lot of black characters don’t work is because the racial/social aspect always takes over and they disregard that it’s supposed be to a sci fi adventure not a commentary.
    We've had people on this very site slamming Cyborg and other DC non-white characters because of a perceived lack of acknowledgement of their race and ethnicity in their stories.

Yeah I agree. If it weren't for the race baiting he wouldn't have much going for him. At least from what I read.

Would be happy to be proven wrong.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Coates isn't writing Captain America like that so maybe he won't do that to Victor.

We've had people on this very site slamming Cyborg and other DC non-white characters because of a perceived lack of acknowledgement of their race and ethnicity in their stories.
    What I meant is that making their race a central part of every story is not a good idea. There’s nothing wrong with acknowledging the race of a character but when the racial or social aspect fully takes over, which is likely for a black character, it can turn a lot of people away. Cyborg needs stories sci fi oriented because that’s the only thing that’s gonna make him sale not his race but good stories that explore all aspects of his character and good supporting cast. There’s reasons why characters like Black Lightning never truly gain an audience, it’s because it’s not about sci fi adventure but social commentary, see the tv show.

What I meant is that making their race a central part of every story is not a good idea. There’s nothing wrong with acknowledging the race of a character but when the racial or social aspect fully takes over, which is likely for a black character, it can turn a lot of people away. Cyborg needs stories sci fi oriented because that’s the only thing that’s gonna make him sale not his race but good stories that explore all aspects of his character and good supporting cast. There’s reasons why characters like Black Lightning never truly gain an audience, it’s because it’s not about sci fi adventure but social commentary, see the tv show.
    This ain't hardly true.

Black Lightning doesn't have the audience he should have because he was taken off the board many, many years ago.

Through some shenanigans (money) with Hanna-Barbera, Black Vulcan came to be. Imagine the difference if Black Lightning were rightfully in Superfriends. He'd have that built-in nostalgia support that would have carried him all the way to now.

Then there's the creator rights that also shelved the character that finally came to a resolution in the past few years.

Black Lightning is DC's first original black character to have their own solo series. That would have meant something and still should...but this is DC.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    NO NO NO We do not need a Cyborg book being a stealth book for whatever pets Coates would bring to DC like we saw with Black Panther.
    We have had too many projects be stealth books or shows for everybody BUT who the lead is suppose to be.
    Shame on you for perpetuating that lie/exaggeration. Like seriously, shame, man! I'm legit upset to see this.

I would love Coates to get the chance to do a DC book, and having him on Cyborg (or Superman for a bit) would be fun! That man is an awesome and nuanced writer.

It would still fall down to what would the higher-ups allow; he'd need to be given free-enough reign and not have what happened to Walker and Semper happen to him. (I still stand by Semper having done right by Cyborg during his time. He was just hampered and put on more of a leash than Walker was.)
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 04-29-2019 at 10:07 AM.

I don't know if that's the best example since the BL tv show does have an audience.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    This ain't hardly true.

Black Lightning doesn't have the audience he should have because he was taken off the board many, many years ago.

Through some shenanigans (money) with Hanna-Barbera, Black Vulcan came to be. Imagine the difference if Black Lightning were rightfully in Superfriends. He'd have that built-in nostalgia support that would have carried him all the way to now.

Then there's the creator rights that also shelved the character that finally came to a resolution in the past few years.

Black Lightning is DC's first original black character to have their own solo series. That would have meant something and still should...but this is DC.
    Honestly I agree with him. I understand the importance of social commentary but not every black character needs to take up a political stand, especially in substitution of grand adventures. Black characters rarely get grand adventures stories and I would lile to see more of those.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Honestly I agree with him. I understand the importance of social commentary but not every black character needs to take up a political stand, especially in substitution of grand adventures. Black characters rarely get grand adventures stories and I would lile to see more of those.
    Thank you, almost every comic that Features a black hero has main focus on social commentary rather than any sci fi adventure focus. They often times feature things related to race and police brutality, there’s nothing wrong with discussing those things but it’s the only thing explored when it comes to black characters. The recent comics Black Lighting Cold Dead Hands, Falcon, Black Panther and the Crew, and Luke Cage all featured stories related to the police and those comics came out in the last 3-5 years. Only time black characters escape those types of stories is if they are part of a team (Cyborg), accompanied by a white superhero (Falcon, War Machine) or a legacy hero of a white superhero (Miles Morales, RiRi Williams). Some people just want to see things out of this world not down the down street.

BANNED

It's a trap. When a black character moves away from being an outlet for social commentary, there will be a segment of people who try to put them back in that box, saying, "We need to explore their experience as a black person, because ignoring it isn't genuine." I'm really going out on a limb here, but I think this is kind of endemic of a WAY deeper issue, and that is a thought among many black people that there is only one way to be black.

For instance, in their minds, if you're black, you need to talk a certain way, wear your hair a certain way, have certain views, have certain experiences, listen to certain music, and if a black person deviates from that path even a bit, these types of people will be quick to criticize them, sometimes even viciously. For some people (the worst) this type of thought process is front and center. For others, it's a subversive thing that may be lingering somewhat in the back of their minds.

The thing is, not all black people experience the same things, have the same views, or want to see the same things. Therefore, not using the characters as soap boxes isn't necessarily a flaw, because not everyone wants to see that from every black character...even black people!

Some people think that a black character is automatically going to reflect views they want to see expressed because they're black (and remember, there's only one black view), but what if, when they get their wish and Cyborg is going into social issues and politics, Cyborg is a hardcore Donald Trump supporting MAGA? Then you'll see some of these people complaining because he's likely not reflecting their views that they imposed on him because he's black (and remember, there's only one black view and black experience).

I've started David Walkers run. Im liking it so far.

Spectacular Member

It's a trap. When a black character moves away from being an outlet for social commentary, there will be a segment of people who try to put them back in that box, saying, "We need to explore their experience as a black person, because ignoring it isn't genuine." I'm really going out on a limb here, but I think this is kind of endemic of a WAY deeper issue, and that is a thought among many black people that there is only one way to be black.

For instance, in their minds, if you're black, you need to talk a certain way, wear your hair a certain way, have certain views, have certain experiences, listen to certain music, and if a black person deviates from that path even a bit, these types of people will be quick to criticize them, sometimes even viciously. For some people (the worst) this type of thought process is front and center. For others, it's a subversive thing that may be lingering somewhat in the back of their minds.

The thing is, not all black people experience the same things, have the same views, or want to see the same things. Therefore, not using the characters as soap boxes isn't necessarily a flaw, because not everyone wants to see that from every black character...even black people!

Some people think that a black character is automatically going to reflect views they want to see expressed because they're black (and remember, there's only one black view), but what if, when they get their wish and Cyborg is going into social issues and politics, Cyborg is a hardcore Donald Trump supporting MAGA? Then you'll see some of these people complaining because he's likely not reflecting their views that they imposed on him because he's black (and remember, there's only one black view and black experience).
    Yes, this is a problem amongst black people and I’ve seen arguments first hand. Black Panther, Luke Cage and Black Lightning feature social commentary in them and I wonder would they have gotten the same reaction from black People if there wasn’t race involved. A lot of people bring up Blade who doesn’t feature any references to him being black but he’s mostly surrounded by a white cast or usurped by his white cast (Trinity, TV Series). When the JL film was coming up Cyborg wasn’t really acknowledged as being a black superhero, some brought up disabilities, he was just there. Was that because there wasn’t any real promotion to generate hype, he got lost in the films failure or was it because he didn’t represent an “ideal” black superhero.

BANNED

Yes, this is a problem amongst black people and I’ve seen arguments first hand. Black Panther, Luke Cage and Black Lightning feature social commentary in them and I wonder would they have gotten the same reaction from black People if there wasn’t race involved. A lot of people bring up Blade who doesn’t feature any references to him being black but he’s mostly surrounded by a white cast or usurped by his white cast (Trinity, TV Series). When the JL film was coming up Cyborg wasn’t really acknowledged as being a black superhero, some brought up disabilities, he was just there. Was that because there wasn’t any real promotion to generate hype, he got lost in the films failure or was it because he didn’t represent an “ideal” black superhero.
    Honestly, I don't think many black people are used to seeing stories starring black people that don't feature some kind of social commentary or allusions to race. That may be why, when it's not featured, some bring it up as a complaint. Because they're just not used to seeing something like that, and something they're expecting just isn't there. Kinda' like it's an elephant in the room to them that's just not being addressed. For example, blaxploitation, slave movies, Jordan Peele movies, gangster movies, Spike Lee movies...those things all star black people frequently, and feature allusions to race in one way or another.

Regarding Cyborg and Justice League, I think he was overshadowed by all the other heroes there, so he was kind of a non-issue. Plus the movie was a critical and commercial failure, so people just don't really consider it too much.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-29-2019 at 04:00 PM.