Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yes, and those events have a whole new meaning now that we know the relationship between Hal and his ring.

There was also the moment when Hal got his ring back during the Crisis that originally felt odd, but makes perfect sense now.

Morrison has really done his research
    I would love to hear your take on the difference between a power ring and a lantern.

Can a Lantern entern his personal lantern. Should a lantern have its own AI or just serve as a conduit.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I would love to hear your take on the difference between a power ring and a lantern.

Can a Lantern entern his personal lantern. Should a lantern have its own AI or just serve as a conduit.
    I believe the lantern is just a conduit to the Central Power Battery on Oa, whereas the rings contain the AI.

In more relatable terms, the ring is your phone, while the lantern is simply the charger that connects to the electricity of the Central Power Battery on Oa.

Of course, we know that the Central Power Battery once contained both the living entities of Ion and Parallax. Parallax could not affect Hal until he entered the Central Power Battery itself.

Spectacular Member

The Green Lantern is the best selling non-Batman non-event book of DC, beating Superman, Action Comics and Wonder Woman.:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...in-april-2019/

Is GL going back to the Johns era of being DC's second biggest franchise?!?! We can only hope...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    The Green Lantern is the best selling non-Batman non-event book of DC, beating Superman, Action Comics and Wonder Woman.:

Is GL going back to the Johns era of being DC's second biggest franchise?!?! We can only hope...
    Cool. Hopenit does well every month. And does even better on trades.

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post

that's nice to hear. if i'm going to hope, i'm hoping that it becomes dc's biggest franchise then.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm surprised The Green Lantern is doing as well as it has in single issues. Morrison's stuff tends to do much better in TPBs and digitally. Great to hear though.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, & Green Lantern have always been the five great pillars of the DCU to me. For a while it seemed like GL had ceded that position to Aquaman, but maybe I was wrong.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I had a bit of catching up to do with this title so I have avoided this thread for the last few months but I've now caught up to issue 6 and wow, what a book. Morrison is probably my favourite superhero comics writer and he has more than lived up to his reputation with this book.

That it has loads of wild ideas is to be expected but it works on so many levels. I love how each issue is a fully formed thing unto itself even as it is part of an ongoing narrative. I love the snappy dialogue and the way he gives different dialogue styles to different species of alien. I freaking love his take on Hal after being fairly lukewarm about the character pretty much since Johns brought him back all those years ago. Morrison talked about how different Hal is from him (he admits that writing Kyle, however, fits like a glove) and he really leaned into Hal's alpha nature but without letting that become obnoxious or, worse, fall into the "toxic-male" trap. And after years of the Rainbow Corps being done to death, it's such a pleasure to read a take on GL that emphasizes both the cop aspects of the character and just how mad it must be to be a space-cop in the first place.

As for the art, I thought that Liam Sharpe was totally overshadowed by both Nicola Scott and Bilques Evely (apologies if the spelling is as wrong as I think it is on both) on Wonder Woman but in just these six issues, he has easily established himself as one of the definitive Green Lantern artists ever. Borrowing heavily from Neal Adams (THE definitive Hal artist) but filling up each panel with tons of detail and imagination that somehow actually matches Morrison, he is just perfect for this book. Plus, the rich, vibrant colours by Steve Oliff enhances Sharpe's work beautifully and makes it a particular pleasure to read the Green Lantern on DC's terrific new paperstock.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

What about that issue #8? Taking the classic story, flipping it over and adding some Morrison weirdness.

I read Kirby's Green Arrow run a few years back and really enjoyed it for his art and Dave Wood's surprisingly deft for the early Silver Age scrips, so i got a huge kick out of the Xeen Arrow subplot. Fun stuff all around!

Nothing more fun than using a giant bow to shoot an arrow at someone on the moon while you're trippin' balls.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Nothing more fun than using a giant bow to shoot an arrow at someone on the moon while you're trippin' balls.
    And from a different dimension nonetheless.

judging from the solicits, morrisson seems to be revisiting his multiversity lanterns.

bring it on.

While I'm sure this run will be remembered for years to come, one thing it's really missing is any sense that the events here will in any way shape Hal or the GLC or have any kind of impact. They're fun stories that mostly mine the past, but they're not really building anything of lasting relevance once these guys leave the book. (at least not that I can see so far)

I think that's more than likely true, but I view that as a strength. I've enjoyed the hell out of the Green Lantern franchise since 2004's Rebirth, but it's kind of nice to have (mostly) everything stripped away in order to tell good Hal Jordan space cop stories. Whoever follows Morrison on whatever relaunched GL title DC decides to publish will undoubtedly bring back the Rainbow corps and everything that made the Johns-era so popular, but I find Morrison to be a welcomed breath of fresh air.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I love that the book has kept it's 2000AD vibe.
    And this is IMO, the best work Liam Sharp was done on a monthly title. He is KILLING IT.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.