Page 117 of 667 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167217617 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 10005

In 2015, as well as 2016, and 2017, that "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of Mark Reed, who on three occasions has failed to get elected to U.S. Congress to represent California’s 30th Congressional District, having gone down in defeat to Rep. Mark Sherman all three times. And we don’t mean he lost, as much as got crushed. Reed, for whatever reason in his debate against Sherman, tried attacking him and DNC Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz of not being supportive enough of Israel, which is amazing in that both not only have records that show they are supportive of Israel, but they’re also both coincidentally Jewish, to boot. Reed has a website loaded with misleading information about the Affordable Care Act, his opposition to same-sex marriage, as well as climate change denial. Perhaps the best reason to not elect him to office is his long police record featuring two arrests for narcotics possession. His 2016 campaign website featured an inspirational quote from Founding Father John Adams regarding debt, that is not, in fact, something that Adams has ever actually been recorded saying. And while Reed failed in his fourth attempt at getting elected to Congress in 2018. We don’t know when he’s finally going to take a hint.

It was one year ago today that “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day” profiled Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, who prior to winning that office in the 2014 elections, was a member of the Texas state legislature for over a decade. And while there’s no shortage of Texas Republicans for CSGOPOTD to have profiled through the past few years, Ken Paxton earned our notice not just for the usual Fundamentalism you see from members of the Lone Star State GOP, but for the fact that while he was tasked with enforcing the law in Texas, he was simultaneously fighting an extended legal battle while being accused of committing securities fraud. But that’s really not all, as Paxton’s alleged illegal activity and all his chicanery to avoid ever going to go to trial for it until after the 2018 elections, if at all, (the indictments for white collar crime are almost three years old now) have cost a small fortune in legal fees. Legal fees which were paid for by campaign donors of Paxton, so he’s had to report “gifts” he’s received totaling over $84,000 to keep himself out of court. Again, this is the guy responsible with the law being enforced in Texas. Although, his interest in what the law actually is seems hyper-focused on partisan politics, as Paxton has encouraged state officials to ignore the Supreme Court’s Obergefell v. Hodges ruling, chastised school districts for respecting the gender identity of students trying to use the bathroom, and Paxton sent a “cease and desist” letter to Texas public schools for busing students eligible to vote to the polls, which has been encouraged previously in Texas since the Civil Rights movement passed over half a century ago. It seems Paxton is terrified of the thought of young people having access to our democracy.

But Paxton is threatened by a great many things, and will flat out make things up to feign outrage over, like the time he accused a Texas school district of creating a “Muslim-only prayer room, which was in no way a part of reality. Or it could be just that Ken doesn’t see that well out of his droopy eye, or something.

Maybe none of this should come as much of a surprise, because when you look at Paxton’s career in the Texas state legislature, there were signs he was a fanatic, like when he co-sponsored HB 3678, a bill aimed at allowing students greater expression of their religious beliefs in public schools, like say, when a teacher dared to mention that evolution is a thing. He also co-sponsored SB 14, a bill to suppress the vote in Texas via stricter Voter ID laws, voted for bills that attempted to nullify federal firearm regulations, co-sponsored legislation that would enact the failure of a conservative policy of drug testing welfare recipients, voted against HB 950, which would have guaranteed equal pay for women in Texas, and was a co-sponsor ofTexas’ HB 2 law, which was aimed at closing down all the abortion clinics in the state by creating stricter requirements for them.

In spite of all the indictments that have held against him for years now, as well as his long track record of extremist lunacy, Ken Paxton decided not to bow out of the 2018 elections, and only narrowly won re-election, barely cracking the 50% threshhold. His trial for securities fraud has yet to begin, and his wife, Angela Paxton, is now a Texas State Senator trying to draft legislation that would exempt her husband from facing jail time for the crimes he’s committed (really). He has taken his second term in office to do such effective things such as launch an investigation into the city of San Antonio for refusing to open a Chik-Fil-A in their airport because of the company’s history of anti-LGBTQ activities, because Paxton feels they may have rejected the chicken franchise due to “religious discrimination. (Remember Texas, he’s spending taxpayer dollars on that investigation.)
    Last edited by worstblogever; 05-20-2019 at 02:19 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'd say it's a liability only to Sanders if he continues supporting the NRA which is a serious nonstarter to Democrat voters.

I'm surprised Trump is being quiet about his wanting to veer SCOTUS hard right since being subtle isn't his strong suit.

====================

Trump Threatens ‘Official End Of Iran’ If It Wants To Fight

The president’s warning comes amid escalating tensions between the two nations. The Leader of the Free World openly threatened another nation, and cowardly Republicans in Congress looked the other way. Fucking shameful!

Trump Says Fox News Is Moving To ‘Losing’ Side By Covering Democrats

The president claimed the outlet was making the wrong move by giving airtime to his opponents. To be honest, I wonder why Faux News did that too. I mean, it's not like they're "fair and balanced', that much is common knowledge.

Chick-fil-A Executive Calls Supporting Anti-LGBTQ Organizations A ‘Higher Calling’

The fast-food company has continued to donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to anti-LGBTQ groups despite backlash. I used to enjoy dining at Chick-fil-a, but not anymore. Their homophobic policies are nothing short of repugnant.

Wave Of Protests Planned For Tuesday Over State Abortion Bans

The Women’s March, Planned Parenthood and other groups are staging nationwide actions against the new “heartbeat” laws and Alabama’s abortion ban.

Navy Submarine Sailors Kept ‘Rape’ Lists Of Female Colleagues, Military Probe Finds

One woman told investigators the lists made “her question all males on the boat.” As a Navy veteran (1976-1996), this disgusts me no end.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-20-2019 at 01:42 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Conspiracy theory: The GOP thinks he'll back Roe when the multiple challenges come before the Court, they have to get him out and replace him with another hack to ensure the vote goes their way.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Conspiracy theory: The GOP thinks he'll back Roe when the multiple challenges come before the Court, they have to get him out and replace him with another hack to ensure the vote goes their way.
    Short of Kennedy suddenly croaking in the middle of the night like Antonin Scalia, or some scandal popping up from out of left field that forces him to step down, I seriously doubt the GOP would have time to replace him.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Short of Kennedy suddenly croaking in the middle of the night like Antonin Scalia, or some scandal popping up from out of left field that forces him to step down, I seriously doubt the GOP would have time to replace him.
    The article is an year old. It's about a political effort that worked (Trump & company convincing Kennedy to retire so they could put in Kavanaugh.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The article is an year old. It's about a political effort that worked (Trump & company convincing Kennedy to retire so they could put in Kavanaugh.)
    Well I feel like a dork, I got Kennedy mixed up with Roberts. Oops.

Ultimate Member

He's ahead now because of name recognition, but what's he got to offer middle of the road voters who care about the issues? He's been almost dismissive of people who ask him about policy.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    He's ahead now because of name recognition, but what's he got to offer middle of the road voters who care about the issues? He's been almost dismissive of people who ask him about policy.
    I saw it said best on twitter: Biden is running the campaign that people accused Hillary of running.

That said, do not underestimate the general fondness people have for Biden. It's a really potent weapon.

There are a lot of Dem voters whose #1 priority is beating Trump. All the other issues are secondary. If they think Biden has the best chance in the General, especially in the States that were stolen from Hillary like WI and MI, they will vote for Biden in the primaries.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There are a lot of Dem voters whose #1 priority is beating Trump. All the other issues are secondary. If they think Biden has the best chance in the General, especially in the States that were stolen from Hillary like WI and MI, they will vote for Biden in the primaries.
    But those people already hate Trump and have from the start. What's Biden going to say to the people who are looking at the employment numbers and how Trump is "getting tough" with China and support the trade wars? How's he going to beat Trump if won't offer those people some sort of alternative that's going to improve their lives?

But those people already hate Trump and have from the start. What's Biden going to say to the people who are looking at the employment numbers and how Trump is "getting tough" with China and support the trade wars? How's he going to beat Trump if won't offer those people some sort of alternative that's going to improve their lives?
    We have politicians who have concrete plans to do all of that and remind me again what they're polling at both in general and in the primary? Policy matters to a lot of us, definitely, but it's rarely what matters en masse unfortuantely.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Today in terrible leader news , Trump pardoned Conrad Black not for any real legal reasons. But because he supported him back in 2015 on National Review. They basically can't even cite why he legally should get the pardon beyond he was a great business man. Yet this guy was convicted back in 2007 as you can read.

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/16/186276...2cddSQU1P4M3nA
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That is my viewpoint as well. To me, what makes a human being a human being begins with awareness of self, NOT the heartbeat.
    To be fair, that seems to be backed up by our analogous situations in our own lives. I mean, we even see it in medical television shows. When Laverne died on Scrubs, it was because her brain stopped working--but her body didn't give out until well after they turned off life support. At the point of being "brain dead", you cease to have an actual life--your body is just following behind your brain.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Well I feel like a dork, I got Kennedy mixed up with Roberts. Oops.
    It is worth noting that Roberts is probably going to be playing it a bit safer with his vote now that it actually can swing the court to overriding precedent. I think that he is going to be pretty cautious about it. Still, I'd brace for a Supreme Court that is willing to allow states to pair back abortion laws. For example, while I don't think they'll ultimately condone the ability of states to punish women who get abortions out of state (the full faith and credit clause seems to be the main driver against such a policy) or even the punishments for getting an abortion that early, I think the Supreme Court will ultimately say that states have the ability to limit abortions to the level that they deem appropriate so long as it is still technically available. So, heart beat bills will probably be what we will get and they'll allow for that. I expect that we'll have a shattered national system of abortion rights for the next couple years until we can get a Congress that is willing to make it a federal legislative issue themselves. Similar to how the outlook is for marijuana legalization.

EDIT: In other Supreme Court news, they have ruled in favor of an Oklahoma tribe in favor of their hunting rights. It was a 5-4 decision--with Gorsuch providing the tie-breaking vote with the liberal wing of the court.
    Last edited by TheDarman; 05-20-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I am not supporting Biden. I am trying to explain why he is ahead with the Dem rank and file. It's all about beating Trump. "Those people" you talk about, whho voted for Trump in 2016 over those issues, obviously don't have the mental capacity to understand real solutions to those problems. So a they might think a Centrist like Biden, who does talk to blue collar voters, might be what is needed.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!