Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Are you still reading Age of X-Man?

Hi guys,
    JaffyJayne here with another report on the latest x-books.

Are you still reading Age of X-Man?
    We’ve now been told by Marvel that the current run is just a placeholder for Hickman and was never intended to be anything but.
    Does this affect your reading of the event? Are you still reading and enjoying it at all?
    There’s still around 10 books left, are you exhausted by it?

I'm still enjoying Amazing Nightcrawler and Prisoner X.

Quote Originally Posted by JaffyJayne View Post
    Hi guys,
    We’ve now been told by Marvel that the current run is just a placeholder for Hickman and was never intended to be anything but.
    I don't think we were ever told that.

Both Uncanny and AoXman are leading up to Hickman's run as I recall.

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

I'm mostly just reading Nextgen - easily the best IMO.

I always knew it was "a placeholder"(why bring beloved X-men back from the dead but don't use them together?), House of X and Powers of 10 are "placeholders" too fyi. No my enjoyment of the event isn't affected besides an alternate reality story was never going to have any deep effect on X-universe other than some ripples.The story was always disposable to bigger scheme of the X-men. And that why story can take bigger risk with characters(up to the point of death) which is the fun part of the stories .

I am enjoying Age of X-man especially now that is part of story where things are actually happening,It has been a slow build up which has been a bit rough but now the pay of for the event is about to happen so the best part of the event is going to happen in these books.

Prisoner X- They about to riot and hell is about to break lose
    The Extremists- They are about realize that Nate has been making them "the bad guys"
    Next Gen, Marvelous X-men, and Apocalypse and the Xtracts- multiple people "are waking up"and start fighting back against the world

If writers do their job people who weren't interested in the event are going to get interested when they see the payoff and they will go back and read the books. Plus since Hickman stuff is coming right after how it is going to tie in to transition is also interesting. I mean they aren't going to put X-men back in 616 at the end business as usual right?

HOX/POX aren’t placeholders. These are the prologues to the story Hickman is writing. I think these two series would be essential reading before the new relaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by JaffyJayne View Post
    HOX/POX aren’t placeholders. These are the prologues to the story Hickman is writing. I think these two series would be essential reading before the new relaunch.
    It is set up the new status quo but ultimately, We don't care about those books we really care about what comes after. We want to read about "the main team" who is going to carry the mantle of "The X-men" and how that team grows and once you realize that this story before you get that it is just a placeholder as well. Whatever HoX/PoX is,it is not going to be what people want to see however good it is going to be. People want to see the main team and where their favorites are going to show up. Frankly HoX/PoX is 12 issue delay before we get read "the real X-men book" It is Hickman so it is going to be good but Uncanny Disassemble/Age of X-man or HoX/PoX are all delays before giving us what we want to see.

Go ahead ask people if they don't just want to skip past this story and just find out who is going to be "Main team" and if their favorites made the first wave of X-men books. Sorry they are just speed bumps like Age of X-man/Uncanny but with HoX/PoX we should at least enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-21-2019 at 03:50 AM.

I’m not reading them, but mainly because I got bored.

I personally don’t care for the idea of not reading something because it “doesn’t matter.” All I care about is- do I enjoy it? It doesn’t matter to me if it’s AU, a retelling, a retcon, setup issue, filler, exposition, whatever.

I don’t deny that knowing a book is going to have repercussions adds to the excitement. I’m just saying I don’t think people should consider it a pre requisite. There are so many good stories out there that didn’t really result in anything afterwards.

But yea, back on topic- I stopped reading AOX after 2 issues. I didn’t find it enjoyable.
    Last edited by Grey; 05-21-2019 at 04:10 AM.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is set up the new status quo but ultimately, We don't care about those books we really care about what comes after. We want to read about "the main team" who is going to carry the mantle of "The X-men" and how that team grows and once you realize that this story before you get that it is just a placeholder as well. Whatever HoX/PoX is,it is not going to be what people want to see however good it is going to be. People want to see the main team and where their favorites are going to show up. Frankly HoX/PoX is 12 issue delay before we get read "the real X-men book" It is Hickman so it is going to be good but Uncanny Disassemble/Age of X-man or HoX/PoX are all delays before giving us what we want to see.

Go ahead ask people if they don't just want to skip past this story and just find out who is going to be "Main team" and if their favorites made the first wave of X-men books. Sorry they are just speed bumps like Age of X-man/Uncanny but with HoX/PoX we should at least enjoy the ride.
    Please STOP talking absolute nonsense immediately, I beg you.
    Last edited by JaffyJayne; 05-21-2019 at 04:10 AM.

I'm still reading it. some titles are better than others, and as a whole it's been underwhelming

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Only marvelous x-men but only because jean is there. What i have read of age of x-man has been very boring

BANNED

Yawning through everything that isn't Nightcrawler or Prisoner X, sure, but I'm still reading it. So far, Marvelous X-Men and Apocalypse and the X-Tracts have been the worst offenders of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

From Hickman's interview yesterday it sounds like there isn't going to be a "main team" in the traditional sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    So far, Marvelous X-Men and Apocalypse and the X-Tracts have been the worst offenders of the bunch.
    Those have been the two weakest ones for me too. I don't think either of them are bad, but I've been much more interested in the other four books.

The initial pitch of that X-Man mused that love and attachment cause feelings of un-attachment and lack of love is a great theme to explore, but it has gotten lost a lot as the writers haven't made it all that obvious within the stories so far.

I'm still reading NextGen and Nightcrawler and I've dipped in and out of Marvelous, Prisoner and Extremists

I'm liking the event much more than I thought I would

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Man With The Stick View Post
    Those have been the two weakest ones for me too. I don't think either of them are bad, but I've been much more interested in the other four books.
    Honestly, being boring is a bigger sin than being straight up bad, sometimes. Marvelous is a slugfest where only Colossus and Nate feel like actual characters instead of window dressing.