Page 80 of 182 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2721
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Who are some characters or some areas of the MU that you would like Namor to interact with in future (hypothetical) stories?
    Fuse and Alloy from the recent WCA, because it was hinted that their dad was probably Atlantean

Those are cool ideas. A part of me always wonders what happened to the little girl from Namor's crossover with Rom and Dire Wraiths.

If I recall (and I'm probably not doing a great job), the little girl (10 or so?) was a land breather who was precog or similar. I don't believe they called her a mutant but there were often characters in the '70s, a little into the '80s that had psychic or precog powers but were not always labeled as mutants.

At any rate she somehow was aware of Dire Wraiths impersonating people. Somehow the action goes to Atlantis where the Dire Wraiths, Aliens, have infiltrated and impersonated being Atlanteans.

The plot ends up her almost drowning and Namor must use that device (that he almost used on Sue in a What-If) to turn the girl into a water breather.

Story ends with the girl becoming or being seen as a heroine to Atlantis; the Dire Wraiths were rooted out, etc.

So whatever happened to Her? Since there have been umpteen invasions and destructions of Atlantis, realistically she probably didn't survive - but one would think that Namor and others would have continued to be grateful . . . .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    OMG!!!! They even have a fan message board!!! This is stunning! I swear Namor needs his own site like this! I will have to chat with you later about your site, do you have a link to it? I'm still thinking about making one but I'm holding off a bit until I know I will have more free time to work on it, since I don't want to start the project without at least knowing that I have a 80% shot at completing it.
    If you guys setup this website you can count on me too. I'd like to offer my Namor Read-a-thon material as well as my 3D Namor work. I do plan to continue posting both projects here in CBR but it would be nice if they could also be part of a Namor centric fansite.

Comic Geek in General

Is Namor still unhinged?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Those are cool ideas. A part of me always wonders what happened to the little girl from Namor's crossover with Rom and Dire Wraiths.

If I recall (and I'm probably not doing a great job), the little girl (10 or so?) was a land breather who was precog or similar. I don't believe they called her a mutant but there were often characters in the '70s, a little into the '80s that had psychic or precog powers but were not always labeled as mutants.

At any rate she somehow was aware of Dire Wraiths impersonating people. Somehow the action goes to Atlantis where the Dire Wraiths, Aliens, have infiltrated and impersonated being Atlanteans.

The plot ends up her almost drowning and Namor must use that device (that he almost used on Sue in a What-If) to turn the girl into a water breather.

Story ends with the girl becoming or being seen as a heroine to Atlantis; the Dire Wraiths were rooted out, etc.

So whatever happened to Her? Since there have been umpteen invasions and destructions of Atlantis, realistically she probably didn't survive - but one would think that Namor and others would have continued to be grateful . . . .
    I don't know what happened to her but her being the Oracle of Atlantis was something that should have stuck or maybe having another oracle who was atlantean? I wish we could get more world building and more insight into how atlantean magic works, or like more about their culture, etc. This could have been great to have if she was a permanent cast character, we desperately need Namor's cast to be rebuilt and I am always in favor of bringing back older members rather than creating someone new who fits the same role. BRING BACK VASHTI!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    If you guys setup this website you can count on me too. I'd like to offer my Namor Read-a-thon material as well as my 3D Namor work. I do plan to continue posting both projects here in CBR but it would be nice if they could also be part of a Namor centric fansite.
    Will totally keep you and everyone updated and collecting Namor content when/if this ever gets off the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    Is Namor still unhinged?
    He is still being influenced by Machan/Tommy in the last issue, so I would say yes.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I was re-reading New Avengers: The Illuminati this week and, while I enjoyed Namor in the series, it made me think about how Namor is depicted while in larger mini-series or as a guest-star in other books. He's mostly a pompous hard-ass with a hairtrigger temper and no subtlety to his character whatsoever.

What do you feel are Namor's defining character traits? What makes Namor, Namor, besides a stereotypical rage?

What moments, in his own books or others, do you feel truly shine as examples of who Namor is as a character?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I was re-reading New Avengers: The Illuminati this week and, while I enjoyed Namor in the series, it made me think about how Namor is depicted while in larger mini-series or as a guest-star in other books. He's mostly a pompous hard-ass with a hairtrigger temper and no subtlety to his character whatsoever.

What do you feel are Namor's defining character traits? What makes Namor, Namor, besides a stereotypical rage?

What moments, in his own books or others, do you feel truly shine as examples of who Namor is as a character?
    I'm always a big fan of the classic silver age submariner, like I enjoy the modern age and parts of the golden age but silver age Namor is timeless espically tales to astonish and his 1968 series and of course any time he spent with the Invaders or Defenders.

To me the most important core characteristic of Namor is that he is and sees himself, first and foremost as a protector. He is Honest, like honest to the point where he doesn't sweeten his words to spare anothers feelings, he will be upfront and in your face about it. He is loyal, and lonely, and angry. He is kind, but its not often he shows it, and he has a big heart that has been crushed a thousand times over, he has seen so much of his home and family destroyed. I always feel Namor does better with animals than he does people, because animals haven't betrayed him like people have. He is very sarcastic and snarky, but its not like he sets out to do it, it usually stems from his honesty, like he is the one who points out how stupid the illuminati was to shoot hulk off into space. Most people see Namor as a tyrant but he isn't, he has given his enemies so many second chances, he doesn't kill just to kill and he doesn't find pleasure in harming others, he only does it if its the only option he has left. Most importantly Namor is often isolated or alone from others, he tries so hard to find connections, with love, with family, on teams. He doesn't have to be on a team but if being on a team makes him feel useful he would rather be that than alone. He was raised to be everything Atlantis needed to survive and the burden of crown and being an outsider with both his mothers and fathers people have left their mark on him so its not easy for him to make friends. Especially considering the abuse he had as child, often taunted and called a half breed, a freak etc.

He doesn't like people touching him or being so familiar with him, I feel because it has to do with respect, Namor had to earn his people's respect time and time again and when he goes to the surface and they degrade him by not calling him a king or touching him without permission then I feel Namor sees it as them mocking him. For who in Atlantis would dare touch a descendant of Neptune without his permission? Namor faces racism alot, and he and his people are often mocked or ignored until they are needed and his home is constantly treated like trash. He is angry with the world alot.

So I guess to me Namor is: A Protector, Loyal, Honest, Royal, Arrogant, Snarky, Kind, Lonely, and Tired, I feel he has been fighting so long that he doesn't know that life isn't a constant battle.

My favorite moments comes from New Warriors (1990) #44 where Namor goes after Nita and convinces her she is still loved by her friends and to reach out to them, and that she is still loved by her family. Another moment that always gets me is in Paying Respects from Marvel Comics Presents (2007) #7, where Namor is grieving the death of Nita, and I know that these two moments have Nita in common, but the thing is that Namor doesn't often show his emotions so easily unless they are rage or despair, but here we have kindness and grief both for the same person, Nita was a way for us the audience to see the softer side of Namor as he cared for his little cousin, which is why isolating him him all his cast and not having anyone from the old crew around is hurting how others see Namor. Look at how Namor is written before Stanford and after, I feel the change began there, and only moved to push him away from the classic Submariner into a more modern one.

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Interesting, I haven't read either of those issues.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Another moment that always gets me is in Paying Respects from Marvel Comics Presents (2007) #7, where Namor is grieving the death of Nita, and I know that these two moments have Nita in common, but the thing is that Namor doesn't often show his emotions so easily unless they are rage or despair, but here we have kindness and grief both for the same person, Nita was a way for us the audience to see the softer side of Namor as he cared for his little cousin, which is why isolating him him all his cast and not having anyone from the old crew around is hurting how others see Namor. Look at how Namor is written before Stanford and after, I feel the change began there, and only moved to push him away from the classic Submariner into a more modern one.

That Marvel Comics Presents has some of the best Namor artwork I've seen in a long time. and that costume even makes homage to something Namor wore in Marvel Mystery Comics from the golden age.

That Marvel Comics Presents has some of the best Namor artwork I've seen in a long time. and that costume even makes homage to something Namor wore in Marvel Mystery Comics from the golden age.
    Yes! I was thinking the costume was from back then, although I don't remember the hues being so bright. It has been so long since I had seen those golden age looks, I wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly, lol!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes! I was thinking the costume was from back then, although I don't remember the hues being so bright. It has been so long since I had seen those golden age looks, I wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly, lol!
    Yes, the colors were bright, the artist modifies it a little bit but its from Marvel Mystery Comics 13 & 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    One of the much lamented, and sadly too often occurring, dropped story lines -- if you can believe. That had to be one of the all time greatest cliffhangers, and Marvel did no real follow up. There's two mini-series that aren't really so much about 616 Namor. He's in AVENGERS INVADERS as both an Invader and 616 Namor. The other mini-series is a great psychological horror story, but despite the title, that particular Namor doesn't actually have much panel time. It's call SUB-MARINER THE DEPTHS.

Have you read New Avengers: The Illuminati? It retcons alot of stuff, and will be important in the future, but Namor is the star of that series, I

Let's see, it's pretty scattered after that post Civil War mini-series. IIRC, Namor's next appearance is in:

Order 6 and 7.

There's a bunch of Dark Reign / Cabal appearances that I need to look up that follow. While they don't have anything to do with that I recommend these three arcs.

Incredible Hercules 121- 123 (which is hilarious, so a bit different from the Namor you've probably been reading.)

Winter Soldier Winter Kills, and Captain America 46-48

The Marvels Project 1-8
    Thanks for the recommendations. I really appreciate it.
    The ones I mentioned in my previous comment are the only Namor comics I've read thus far.

I think that once characters stop having their solo series they start to become weaker and undefined as they go thru too many different interpretations. Some people like to just read modern comics but to me if you really want to know Namor as the character the way he was originally intended by his creator you need to go to the golden age and then the silver age. Marvel Mystery Comics and his first two solo series from the 40's and then the 70s are a must read.
    Ooh you're right, but I want to read the "newer" stuff first.
    I'm a fan of Aquaman (I've only read N52 and Rebirth thus far) and I would like to see the differences /similarities between Atlantis/Atlanteans. Pretty interesting imo.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Ooh you're right, but I want to read the "newer" stuff first.
    I'm a fan of Aquaman (I've only read N52 and Rebirth thus far) and I would like to see the differences /similarities between Atlantis/Atlanteans. Pretty interesting imo.
    Well, if you ever change your mind and want to start with the Sub-mariner since the beginning, we have a Read-a-thon thread here in the forum that starts with his first appearance in 1939 before the World War 2.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...iner-Readathon

For newer stuff, you cannot go wrong if you pick up the new Invaders series that started this year.

Well, if you ever change your mind and want to start with the Sub-mariner since the beginning, we have a Read-a-thon thread here in the forum that starts with his first appearance in 1939 before the World War 2.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...iner-Readathon

For newer stuff, you cannot go wrong if you pick up the new Invaders series that started this year.

Aah yes, thank you. I'll check it out!
    My bad, by newer stuff I meant his comics in the last 10-20 years. I know, I should have been more clear.
    Anyways, I'll read it regardles, because this is current Namor and since this is written by Zdarsky, I have no doubt he'll deliver!