Page 126 of 222 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 3319

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    It's interesting, in the time between ET and Rebirth, Martin Jordan wasn't really portrayed as being a role model for Hal; quite the opposite, in fact. I think it was really New Frontier that made Martin such a significant part of Hal's backstory (and portrayed him as someone Hal looked up to).
    I think the same could probably be said for Aquaman and Flash. I don't think Tom Curry or Nora Allen were ever as relevant to the characters as they were Johns took over.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    More pics of the new action figure.

Unless he's going upside Mongul's head, any armor/padding on Hal just looks wrong to me.

That design is too busy. Form some reason, Hal looks kinda like Burt Ward to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    It's interesting, in the time between ET and Rebirth, Martin Jordan wasn't really portrayed as being a role model for Hal; quite the opposite, in fact. I think it was really New Frontier that made Martin such a significant part of Hal's backstory (and portrayed him as someone Hal looked up to).
    i've somehow assumed that hal's motivation came from his dad. funny. i just realized that the silver age stories (the few that i've read) never did mention hal's family.

so grateful for darwyn cooke's new frontier.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i've somehow assumed that hal's motivation came from his dad. funny. i just realized that the silver age stories (the few that i've read) never did mention hal's family.

so grateful for darwyn cooke's new frontier.
    Actually Hals family was very prelevant in the silver age. One of my favorite parts of it. But it focused mostly on Hal's brothers and uncle rather than his parents.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the same could probably be said for Aquaman and Flash. I don't think Tom Curry or Nora Allen were ever as relevant to the characters as they were Johns took over.
    Quite true. Before Johns came along, the only parents of superheroes DC readers were familiar with (at least I was) were Thomas and Martha Wayne, Jonathan and Martha Kent and Hippolyta. It was good that Johns gave substance and relevance to other parents.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Actually Hals family was very prelevant in the silver age. One of my favorite parts of it. But it focused mostly on Hal's brothers and uncle rather than his parents.
    did not know that.

who was hal's uncle? does he have a modern age appearance?

Mighty Member

did not know that.

I think we saw one uncle who was a rich judge? And once the younger Hal Jordan appeared we learned Larry Jordan, the first Air Wave, was his uncle too.

Incredible Member

did not know that.

I remember he had two uncles. Jeremiah and Titus Thomas Jordan. Jeremiah was a Judge and Titus was a millionaire. Also, The first Air Wave was considered to be one of his uncles. None of them shows up in modern age.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I wonder if Morrison would ever bring up the death of Hal's father. The series emphasizes on a lot of aspects that showcase what makes Hal who he is and why he always manages to triumph in the face of adversity, and his father's memory usually plays a big part in that.
    I remember Liam Sharp said something like "Hal probably already got over his daddy issue" in a podcast interview. So Morrison probably won't touch on that.

Quote Originally Posted by vartox View Post
    I think we saw one uncle who was a rich judge? And once the younger Hal Jordan appeared we learned Larry Jordan, the first Air Wave, was his uncle too.
    i've always wondered about air wave. wasn't he in suicide squad? i'm guessing it was retconed that air wave and hal were related?

Spectacular Member

With all the recent Martin talk how do you guys like Hal's relationship with his dad? Was it better when there was some angst between the two (which I think we first saw in Emerald Twilight) or do you prefer the two having that bond (shown in Geoff John's GL)?

While I do like what I saw in ET, I have to admit that I like the two getting along better. Hopefully sometime soon we get to see Hal's brothers (yes I know one is dead but this is comics) and maybe something more with his Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops1983 View Post
    With all the recent Martin talk how do you guys like Hal's relationship with his dad? Was it better when there was some angst between the two (which I think we first saw in Emerald Twilight) or do you prefer the two having that bond (shown in Geoff John's GL)?

While I do like what I saw in ET, I have to admit that I like the two getting along better. Hopefully sometime soon we get to see Hal's brothers (yes I know one is dead but this is comics) and maybe something more with his Mom.
    I prefer a positive relationship, if only to emphasize how much his death effected Hal.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops1983 View Post

This story in DC Comics Presents: Green Lantern from 2004, written by Martin Pasko, portrays Martin as downright abusive.

Personally, I thought Hal looking up to his dad was only done well in New Frontier and that was particularly because of the story being set in the 50s/60s. But I don't much care for abusive alcoholic Martin either. Perhaps a balance between role model Martin and Martin as we saw him in Hal's recollection of him in ET would be best. I don't necessarily think they have to be two separate characters either. Maybe the trauma of witnessing the plane crash made Hal block out the less heroic aspects of Martin and idealize him to a certain extent.

Extraordinary Member

I like Hal being his own man, and not beholden to anything from his dad, or anyone.

I think having any daddy issues work for Guy (who functions with an exaggerated sense of masculinity if brain damage is not the issue), but never Hal.

Hal is a mellow, but kinda weird by human standards, hero who is not afraid to stand up against evildoers.

Hal is a simple man capable of successfully undertaking complex endeavors.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I like Hal being his own man, and not beholden to anything from his dad, or anyone.

I think having any daddy issues work for Guy (who functions with an exaggerated sense of masculinity if brain damage is not the issue), but never Hal.

Hal is a mellow, but kinda weird by human standards, hero who is not afraid to stand up against evildoers.

Hal is a simple man capable of successfully undertaking complex endeavors.
    I like this and think I prefer this too. Heroes having their entire identity based around their parents has become such a cliche at this point.