Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
    For me Andy Diggle's run is the most unfortunate thing to happen to Daredevil as far as modern writing goes. He had a great premise to work with where Brubaker ended but Diggle's run and Shadowland almost character assassinated Matt. Waid's run was great especially in response to Diggle's. Soule's run is overall good, it's the most inconsistent run for DD in a long time to me and he does make some choices (like the method of putting Matt's identity back in a box from everyone) that were messy, but there were highlights that I thought were cool. The current Zdarsky run is off to a great start.

+1 to this. I wish that first story arc was released as it's own collected edition honestly just because it deserves more attention/spotlight like that.

The Miller stuff is the best place to start honestly. If the dated-ness of it is too much you can maybe start with Daredevil Vol. 2 (1998, with how Marvel Unlimited lists it's comics) and read from Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil through Bendis and Brubaker's runs, then maybe skip Diggle's stuff and go right to Vol. 3 and beyond where you can pretty much just read straight through.
    Pretty much would agree with all of this!

Shadowland was terrible and I felt Waid's take was especially needed given where Matt was following Shadowland. And while people criticize it for not being dark enough I thought Waid did have some darker elements like giving Foggy cancer or revealing the truth of why Maggie left (which was an amazing arc). Soule's run was solid for the most part and loving Zdarsky has done so far!

As for where to start, agreed the Miller stuff is a good place to start; otherwise, you can start with Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil (not the biggest fan of it honestly though it it is a good starting point). I would also add that I think Parts of Hole, Daredevil: Yellow and Daredevil: Redemption (to me the most underrated Daredevil story) are all worth reading as well and were all released around the Smith/Bendis/Brubaker time period.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    Pretty much would agree with all of this!

Shadowland was terrible and I felt Waid's take was especially needed given where Matt was following Shadowland. And while people criticize it for not being dark enough I thought Waid did have some darker elements like giving Foggy cancer or revealing the truth of why Maggie left (which was an amazing arc). Soule's run was solid for the most part and loving Zdarsky has done so far!

As for where to start, agreed the Miller stuff is a good place to start; otherwise, you can start with Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil (not the biggest fan of it honestly though it it is a good starting point). I would also add that I think Parts of Hole, Daredevil: Yellow and Daredevil: Redemption (to me the most underrated Daredevil story) are all worth reading as well and were all released around the Smith/Bendis/Brubaker time period.
    For me, Waid saved Daredevil. Diggle almost killed the franchise after his abysmal Shadowland. A big departure was needed to start anew. But I'm not a fan of what Charles Soules did: it was one of the most inconsistent arc of Daredevil, it was at best "ok" but there was nothing gripping, visceral, like the best writers of Daredevil showed us. But Zdarsky is up to a very good start ! my only problem: every great period of Daredevil has a great artist who defined him along the writer: Sienkiewicz, Romita, Lark, Quesada, Samnee... but for the moment, the stories are good but lack "soul".
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    For me, Waid saved Daredevil. Diggle almost killed the franchise after his abysmal Shadowland. A big departure was needed to start anew. But I'm not a fan of what Charles Soules did: it was one of the most inconsistent arc of Daredevil, it was at best "ok" but there was nothing gripping, visceral, like the best writers of Daredevil showed us. But Zdarsky is up to a very good start ! my only problem: every great period of Daredevil has a great artist who defined him along the writer: Sienkiewicz, Romita, Lark, Quesada, Samnee... but for the moment, the stories are good but lack "soul".
    I would agree. While Soule is not in my top tier of Daredevil writers like Miller, Bendis, Brubaker or Waid he certainly was not as bad as Diggle (as we've discussed) or some of what we got say in the 90's with DG Chichester and the like. And I would absolutely agree that in addition to the writing being a bit inconsistent, he was hurt by not having a consistent artist to help define his run. However, I did quite enjoy the arc with the Purple Man and the panels with all the different "iterations" of Daredevil. Within that arc (issue #19 I believe) I also like that when the Purple Man asked Matt to do the worst thing he could think of and for Matt the worst thing was to have the power to stop evil from happening, but to do nothing. I thought that was pretty powerful; however, aside from that there was a lot of inconsistency.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    DAREDEVIL BY BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 (2ND PRINTING)
    Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    Penciled by ALEX MALEEV
    Cover by DAVID MACK
    ON SALE JANUARY 2020
    An epic of ambition, betrayal, and comeuppance culminates with the world learning the devil’s mask hides a pair of blind eyes! The hero of Hell’s Kitchen is assailed as both civilian and super hero by a wave of his worst enemies - including the Owl, Mister Hyde, Bullseye, Typhoid, and the Kingpin of Crime! But it’s the heart of the Man Without Fear that gets the real workout with not only the introduction of Milla Donovan - but also the Black Widow, Elektra, and Echo! Who? Echo! Plus: the mystery of Leap-Frog and the trial of the White Tiger! Also featuring Luke Cage and Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, and enough other guest-stars to fill a jury box! Collects Daredevil #16-19, #26-60.
    PGS./RATED T+ … $100.00

Yes, yes, yes! The only missing Omnibus in my collection. I have these issues in various OHCs/TPBs.
    Good for you man! I actually just ordered the Brubaker Omnibus 1 & 2. I planned on getting the Ultimate TPBs (I have the Maleev ones) but I've just been sitting on it for too long and stuff are becoming harder to find.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Daredevil commission by Tyler Boss:

BANNED

Daredevil #267 Jun 1989
    "Cremains"
    Daredevil saves Lance from some bullies and then faces off against his dad;

Lost after the recent bouts with Typhoid Mary and Mephisto and beating himself up over his betrayal of Karen,

Matt burns all of his belongings and leaves town; Saving a drug runner from a downed plane,

Matt is offered a job by the man on his daughter's chicken farm.

Script by Ann Nocenti, pencils by John Romita, Jr., inks by Al Williamson

Daredevil by Rafael T. Pimentel:

Daredevil commission by Tom Reilly:

90's Daredevil Commission by Tom Reilly:

Eh, lets not bring back that suit
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I loved this suit! Let’s bring it back!

HOLY BLEEP THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!! With the ending to Spider-Man:Far From Home, Daredevil would be a perfect addition to help Peter.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    HOLY BLEEP THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!! With the ending to Spider-Man:Far From Home, Daredevil would be a perfect addition to help Peter.
    Agreed. Would love to see them together.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Daredevil #267 Jun 1989
    "Cremains"
    Daredevil saves Lance from some bullies and then faces off against his dad;

Lost after the recent bouts with Typhoid Mary and Mephisto and beating himself up over his betrayal of Karen,

Matt burns all of his belongings and leaves town; Saving a drug runner from a downed plane,

Matt is offered a job by the man on his daughter's chicken farm.

Script by Ann Nocenti, pencils by John Romita, Jr., inks by Al Williamson
    Re-reading this era now. My favorite run for the character.