Page 261 of 667 FirstFirst ... 161211251257258259260261262263264265271311361 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,915 of 10005
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Mets, just to clear up the primary issue at hand, I'm certain that the majority of posters here have no problem with conservatism as a concept and likely are conservative on issues such as fiscal spending and traditional (yet non-homophobic) family values.

The main problem is that while conservativism itself is not inherently problematic, the corruption, bigotry, and outright dishonesty of the Republican party is a direct threat to our democracy, and you continue to support this by posting fearmongering rhetoric instead of focusing on the actual problems at hand within said party.

This post is no different -- fearmongering rhetoric rather than holding your party accountable for it's actions.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 07-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'll readily admit I'm not an expert in these matters, but, I don't suppose that Trump's threat to cut off aid to South American countries (thus resulting in more poverty) because they can't stem the tide of poor, desperate immigrants headed north to his satisfaction has nothing to do with those aforementioned waves, right?
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 07-05-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Also from the Seattle Times:
    There were 46 cases of family fraud in fiscal year 2017 versus 600 cases in fiscal year 2018, which ended in September 2018, Department of Homeland Security data show.

Those cases make up less than 1% of the total families apprehended at the border. Embajadores pastor, Banda, said the trend was born out of unimaginable suffering and stems from recent changes in immigration policy that he called “inhumane U.S. border policies.”

“Whether they are bad people or not, I don’t know, but they are looking for ways to cross the border and end their suffering,” he said.
    Less than 1% isn't worth the horror these kids are suffering, and have been for far longer than the story suggests in your quote too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    Trump said it himself. He doesn't stand by anything.
    Now they are reporting hes considering an executive Order to force the citizenship question and go around SCOTUS. This is why character matters when we vote people. He doesn't give a **** about a check and Balance. Congress says no wall, he steals money from other programs and tries to go around the check.

Scotus says we see what you are doing with the census question so no. And the ONLY reason they had to say no was the sheer clear evidence from the dead GOP strategists notes and recordings his daughter made public. It was too obvious where the question came from and what the purpose was.

But, still he doesn't care.

He and the administration violate ethics constantly, no consequence. They lie and omit so much information half of them shouldn't have security clearance and he doesn't care.
    It is non stop.

I don't care what anyone says but voting for complicit GOP candidates is ridiculous. We don't have dictators here no one should want the executive branch to flat out do what they want.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Now they are reporting hes considering an executive Order to force the citizenship question and go around SCOTUS. This is why character matters when we vote people. He doesn't give a **** about a check and Balance. Congress says no wall, he steals money from other programs and tries to go around the check.

Scotus says we see what you are doing with the census question so no. And the ONLY reason they had to say no was the sheer clear evidence from the dead GOP strategists notes and recordings his daughter made public. It was too obvious where the question came from and what the purpose was.

He and the administration violate ethics constantly, no consequence. They lie and omit so much information half of them shouldn't have security clearance and he doesn't care.
    It is non stop.

I don't care what anyone says but voting for complicit GOP candidates is ridiculous. We don't have dictators here no one should want the executive branch to flat out do what they want.
    This is all about the ego and arrogance of a man who hates being told "no", a man who hates losing and is using the power of the Presidency to get his way, even if it's at the cost of our democracy as we know it, and that's NOT hyperbole. Republicans either don't give a **** what Trump is doing or are all in with his schemes and won't stand in his way, Turtle Boy McConnell damn sure doesn't care, all that matters to him is stacking the courts with right wing ideologues, the census or the wall isn't even on his radar. Come next year, it won't be enough to vote Trump out of office, we have to get rid of McConnell and all those complicit Republicans as well.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 07-05-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Less than 1% isn't worth the horror these kids are suffering, and have been for far longer than the story suggests in your quote too.
    "Time brings truth into focus. This period of fear, hate, lies and complicity will be studied by generations to come."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post

It is non stop.

Meh. He threaten to do the same thing with his wall in Jan or so. IMO, it's just him trying to save face with his constituents when he doesn't get his way.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Mets, just to clear up the primary issue at hand, I'm certain that the majority of posters here have no problem with conservatism as a concept and likely are conservative on issues such as fiscal spending and traditional (yet non-homophobic) family values.

The main problem is that while conservativism itself is not inherently problematic, the corruption, bigotry, and outright dishonesty of the Republican party is a direct threat to our democracy, and you continue to support this by posting fearmongering rhetoric instead of focusing on the actual problems at hand within said party.

This post is no different -- fearmongering rhetoric rather than holding your party accountable for it's actions.
    I don't think I need to convince most of the people here of the problems within the Republican party. You guys are certainly willing to discuss that. But it's an incomplete argument about American politics if you're insisting on primarily focusing on the problems with one party, rather than what's going on in the country outside of partisan politics, to say nothing of the potential mistakes the other parties heading into the election.

The shortcomings of the Republican party have noting to do with the comments by a former Obama cabinet official regarding the border.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'll readily admit I'm not an expert in these matters, but, I don't suppose that Trump's threat to cut off aid to South American countries (thus resulting in more poverty) because they can't stem the tide of poor, desperate immigrants headed north to his satisfaction has nothing to do with those aforementioned waves, right?
    I don't think anyone's made that argument.

It requires migrants recognizing the value of foreign aid, being familiar with recent news in another country and making a decision based on a potential change in future circumstances rather than the current status.

Also from the Seattle Times:

The 1% is only the confirmed cases.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The 1% is only the confirmed cases.
    Less than 1% actually, and even if it were more than 500% increased that would be 5% of cases.

Are you arguing that if the cases are more than 1% it's worth the tortuous conditions these children are subjected to? Or are you arguing there's a realistic percentage that's worth subjecting more than 90% of these children to?

E:
    Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    "Time brings truth into focus. This period of fear, hate, lies and complicity will be studied by generations to come."
    You're not just whistling Dixie.
    Last edited by Dalak; 07-05-2019 at 12:36 PM.

In both 2015, as well as 2016, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" published profiles of Brian Kurcaba, a member of the West Virginia House of Delegates who weeks into his first term in office, made headlines for arguing against exceptions for rape and incest on a proposed 20-week abortion ban in a less than brilliant way when he said, "For somebody to take advantage of somebody else in such a horrible and terrifying and brutal way is absolutely disgusting. But what is beautiful is the child that could come as a production of this." Well, finding anything about that situation as “beautiful” caused a stir, and Kurcaba forced reporters to reset the calendars of “number of days since Republicans talked about rape” to zero. That incident was a sign Kurcaba was an anti-abortion fanatic, and he further demonstrated it by voting for West Virginia's SB 10, to prevent "dismemberment" abortions. He also had supported removing the requirement for both licensing people to use concealed carry of firearms so that everyone could just do so, and his support of repealing the public school requirement that children be vaccinated before being put into classes (y’know, so they don’t all get each other sick and die of things like whooping cough). So he’s a pro-life guy who doesn’t care if there’s an increased risk of children getting shot or dying of a preventable disease, because that makes sense. Kurcaba opted to not try for a second term in office, probably because of his more… uncomfortable thoughts about rape.

In both 2017, as well as 2018, "Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day" profiled Cindy Frich, a member of the West Virginia House of Delegates for District 51 who served in office originally from 2003-2007, and then after a three-year hiatus from the state legislature, failed in a bid for a West Virginia State Senate seat in 2010, then returned to office in 2012. Frich became noteworthy not long after an entire community’s drinking water became contaminated in her district, and after years of opposing the sorts of regulations that would have prevented the tragedy… once the community were all hopping made about it, Frich suddenly supposedly reversed course and became more open to the idea of regulations on the chemical industry, which made Jordan Klepper of the Daily Show notice her and head out to interview her. Which… Klepper’s job was way too easy. Frich related how she drank water that made her “feel lightheaded” and “burned her throat”, but she continued to repeatedly ingest the water from the tap in spite of every taste being clearly abnormal. And she didn’t just tell a story that made her look that dumb… she actually starred in her own re-enactment where she wore a mask and tutu that also featured her stubborn sips, glass after glass after glass, before she opted to get a drink of not bottled water… but soup.

Klepper asked her, in response:

As a child, did you ever put your hand in fire, realize it hurt, and then think to myself, I’m going to do this two more times and then put my hand in soup fire?”
    Of course, Klepper also ended the interview by pointing out that while Frich was supporting a bill to limit the one chemical contaminant from the water in this instance... she was still voting to loosen restrictions on keeping selenium levels in the water down. At that point, Frich, in her infinite wisdom, finally caught on and realized that she was going to look like an idiot on TV… too late. As much as we’d like to just let her Daily Show appearance and her failed attempts to claim she was selectively edited to look like a boob (seriously, you put on masks and danced around pretending to be addled in the brain by chemicals in the drinking water, Cindy), her voting record is hardly indicative of a fully functioning brain, from a policy standpoint. She’s voted against raising the minimum wage during the greatest period of income inequality our nation has seen in almost a century, voted to try and repeal to the hourly wage laws for workers on public improvement projects, voted for West Virginia Republicans’ attempt to pass a “religious freedom” bill, and voted for the West Virginia GOP’s attempt to place a ban on “dismemberment” abortions, as if that’s a thing.

As much as West Virginia is supposedly “Trump Country” these days, where Republicans are considered relatively unstoppable at the polls… Cindy Frich was sent packing in 2018 after her whole district got flipped.

With any luck, she can find the time to stay at home and enjoy the fruits of her anti-regulation efforts and drink from the tap from now on.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Less than 1% actually, and even if it were more than 500% increased that would be 5% of cases.

Are you arguing that if the cases are more than 1% it's worth the tortuous conditions these children are subjected to? Or are you arguing there's a realistic percentage that's worth subjecting more than 90% of these children to?
    The question should be, "What should the number be to make it okay to lock children in cages, Mets?" Because 1% isn't statistically significant, anyway.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The question should be, "What should the number be to make it okay to lock children in cages, Mets?" Because 1% isn't statistically significant, anyway.
    I knew I didn't quite word that right, but was in the middle of getting the roof inspected and it's hard to concentrate when you half expect someone to plunge through the ceiling.

This is all about the ego and arrogance of a man who hates being told "no", a man who hates losing and is using the power of the Presidency to get his way, even if it's at the cost of our democracy as we know it, and that's NOT hyperbole. Republicans either don't give a **** what Trump is doing or are all in with his schemes and won't stand in his way, Turtle Boy McConnell damn sure doesn't care, all that matters to him is stacking the courts with right wing ideologues, the census or the wall isn't even on his radar. Come next year, it won't be enough to vote Trump out of office, we have to get rid of McConnell and all those complicit Republicans as well.
    That's exactly it, they just don't give a ****. Republicans repeatedly say they don't care about a lot of things that you or I do, we should take them at their word. I've heard Republicans being openly resentful that we keep trying to make them care, I wonder what we sound like to them. Children? Buzzing flies? It just feels like such a waste of time to keep trying to make them care about this.

The first Lady wore a jacket with "I really don't care" written on it while she went to visit detained children at the border, the GOP is a lost cause.

The GOP NEEDS those immigrants, the fear they drum up from this drives their base to vote. There is no incentive to fix anything when you can profit of making things worse.

Even it was 100%, you'd still be punishing the children for getting kidnapped. That's backwards, unless the cruelty is the point.