Page 27 of 92 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    I'll read it today
    The depiction does deserve credit where credit is due in one major area. The overall portrayal of when and how Lorna uses violence in Prisoner of X was the best I have seen in the comics since Austen. Yost's Lorna and PAD's second run Lorna had moments where they got it right and wrong. In the case of PAD's Lorna it often veered into a kind of uncontrolled unthinking instability. In Magneto Last Days and X-Men Blue Lorna simply lacked her edge when it came to using force and had too much a conventional super hero take on the character and her views.

However, due to the nature of the events in question we don't know if her depiction here will have any impact going forward. I will only say it is good to see a writer get it right in terms of Lorna's willingness to bring down the hammer. I know full well it can only happen on occasion and its easier with what are later reveled to be mental constructs then with say Purifiers. But, writers have gotten it so far off in the comics for so long (between veering into green haired Jean land or blind mentally unstable girl land) its positive to see a series that managed to come pretty close to the bullseye in that area for the character.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-16-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    Reiterating that although this cover itself is excellent, it's being used on a godawful compilation that's all about promoting Havok while Lorna's torn down in that process. It's sad that Marvel is wasting such talent on their bait-and-switch garbage efforts to continue excessively promoting a male character at the expense of a female character that has never received a single shred of fair opportunity out of the company.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

A quick thought that feels worth throwing on here (vs other places).

It's been talked about before on here about how Lorna's powers should have more use than simply manipulating metal. There are a lot of other uses. So I feel it bears repeating in blunt terms.

Lorna's and Magneto's power is supposed to be magnetokinesis. Not metalkinesis.

In the ways of super powers, you don't need the ability to influence magnetic fields in order to control metal, just as you don't need the ability to control the size of your muscles to have super strength. Magnetic field manipulation is an indirect means of controlling metal, much like blowing on a piece of paper to move it rather than picking it up with your finger.

Their power isn't simply controlling metal though. It's controlling magnetism. They're two very different things, with different possibilities and applications. Marvel should be using their actual powers.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Reiterating that although this cover itself is excellent, it's being used on a godawful compilation that's all about promoting Havok while Lorna's torn down in that process. It's sad that Marvel is wasting such talent on their bait-and-switch garbage efforts to continue excessively promoting a male character at the expense of a female character that has never received a single shred of fair opportunity out of the company.
    i agree, after lorna having so many new fans thanks to the gifted, marvel is not taking the chance to make her a star on the universe, she could sell a lot

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

Polaris kicked ass this issue.
    Absolutely fantastic! Enjoyed Prisoner X and interested to see what happens next.

Also missing Emma Dumont!
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

To conclude a fantastic series, the final splash page in Prisoner X #5 was so, so good from Peralta. Reminded me of some of the classic X-Factor pinups featuring Lorna from the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    Also missing Emma Dumont!
    This morning, I was really missing Gifted and Emma as Lorna - as they were before Dreamer's death, and the potential they had at the time. It could've led to such amazing things, and it's sad how it went so badly off the rails and squandered so much of what it could and should have been.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Polaris appears with the rest of the X-Men at the end of Uncanny #22 today. Nothing of worth to really talk about in regards to Lorna. Her costume wasn't drawn well at all, and looked a hot mess. Spoilers below for people who don't know what happened yet.

spoilers:
    Havok dies in today's issue of Uncanny, and Lorna asks where he is at the end. I don't think anyone really answers Lorna's question though.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Polaris appears with the rest of the X-Men at the end of Uncanny #22 today. Nothing of worth to really talk about in regards to Lorna. Her costume wasn't drawn well at all, and looked a hot mess. Spoilers below for people who don't know what happened yet.

spoilers:
    Havok dies in today's issue of Uncanny, and Lorna asks where he is at the end. I don't think anyone really answers Lorna's question though.
    end of spoilers
    UGH! I hated how her mind immediately went to him as if she has no other purpose. I dont recall her even thinking about him in AoX when her memories came back

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    UGH! I hated how her mind immediately went to him as if she has no other purpose. I dont recall her even thinking about him in AoX when her memories came back
    Yeah, it was lame. I think Rosenberg was trying to go for some emotional moment or something, but it didn't really land.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Yeah, it was lame. I think Rosenberg was trying to go for some emotional moment or something, but it didn't really land.
    wow, I just hope what happened to him doesnt cause her to have another mental breakdown. The one from the 90s was cringeworthy enough to watch

Ultimate Member

Well he won't be gone long either way anyway as he was in that group shot about Hickman's run, and we've already seen that Banshee is back from the previews so...