Page 447 of 613 FirstFirst ... 347397437443444445446447448449450451457497547 ... LastLast
Results 6,691 to 6,705 of 9194
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I enjoyed Superman: Rebirth a lot myself, but it was mostly a continuation of Tomasi’s also excellent B&R New 52 series which was also about a father and son superhero team-up where the dad tries to teach the son and the son tries to connect with his father. Lois was pretty ancillary for most of the run, not to say that she didn’t have some good moments but it was mostly a Superman & Son team-up. What makes me excited about “President Superman of Earth” is that it’s a Superman story in a way that it could never be a Batman story or another hero story. It’s a story that only Superman could star in. Now obviously Bendis could totally botch the job and for many he already has, but the idea gets me excited in a way that “yeah we’re going back to Superman living on a farm” just doesn’t right now.
    That's fair. And one of the my frustrations about this new direction for Jon is that I don't think enough was done with Jon and Lois as a duo when he was a kid. That dynamic was pretty unexplored.

Personally, this President Superman of Earth immediately falls flat for me, because another hero did exactly that in the last few years. The Doctor on Doctor Who. Bendis could make it very different, but my initial thought was "seen it." Additionally, this will likely tie back to the conversation with J'onn in issue one, and given how bad that was, I'm not optimistic.

And Superman frankly can’t survive another blank slate reboot. If you as a writer are unhappy with Superman’s current status quo write a story that organically changes it. Don’t say “I hate that Superman is at Status A so we’re going to shift him to Status B and wipe away Status A and pretend Status A never happened”. Because once you’ve let one writer do that, EVERY writer is going to see it as an option and nothing gets built on. Morrison is drawing on the fact that Hal’s history has never gotten rebooted to tell his TGL run. Williamson has used New 52 Flash stuff in his Flash run. KSD is respecting the New 52 and Rebirth Aquaman runs to tell her story. Ewing took Hulk, a character who has been in really bad stories for pretty much all of the 2010s and is using that history to launch Hulk to unseen heights of popularity. There’s ways to clear out the stuff that’s unpopular without rebooting the franchise AGAIN.
    Just checking, but you did read my full post, right? Because I was basically agreeing with this. I was not advocating for a reboot.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    That's fair. And one of the my frustrations about this new direction for Jon is that I don't think enough was done with Jon and Lois as a duo when he was a kid. That dynamic was pretty unexplored.

Personally, this President Superman of Earth immediately falls flat for me, because another hero did exactly that in the last few years. The Doctor on Doctor Who. Bendis could make it very different, but my initial thought was "seen it." Additionally, this will likely tie back to the conversation with J'onn in issue one, and given how bad that was, I'm not optimistic.

Just checking, but you did read my full post, right? Because I was basically agreeing with this. I was not advocating for a reboot.
    Second part wasn’t addressed to you, just the people who want them to do another reboot to get rid of the Bendis run. I was agreeing with you and adding my own opinions on why that would be a bad idea.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-18-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Mighty Member

Second part wasn’t addressed to you, just the people who want them to do another reboot to get rid of the Bendis run. I was agreeing with you and adding my own opinions on why that would be a bad idea.
    Cool. Just wanted to check. It's hard to tell after a quote how much is responding to you specifically and how much is general.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally I'm not really sure about re-framing the Legion as that much of an official organization or as a "job" for Jon, personally.
    If I remember right, didn't the Legion used to have what amounted to shifts and leave/vacation days back in the Bronze age? They were also sanctioned by the UP and held elections for leadership where they had campaigns and debates, if I'm not mistaken.

This could be taking some inspiration from that and a step further as per the Ultimate model. I mean, it's all there already, right? perspective members have to interview, can be turned away to a subsection group, and they can be fired.

If Bendis is highlighting these aspects of the Legion more, then I'd say "job" may be the right choice of words. This would essentially be Jon's first job.

It doesn't really jive with some of the covers or art we've seen of it either.
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean, Jon's being given a uniform (that has similar design sensibilities as Cos, Saturn, and Lightning Lad) to join this team even though he has a perfectly fine super suit on hand already. Clark never had to be given a uniform. This feels like work clothes.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    If I remember right, didn't the Legion used to have what amounted to shifts and leave/vacation days back in the Bronze age? They were also sanctioned by the UP and held elections for leadership where they had campaigns and debates, if I'm not mistaken.

This could be taking some inspiration from that and a step further as per the Ultimate model. I mean, it's all there already, right? perspective members have to interview, can be turned away to a subsection group, and they can be fired.

If Bendis is highlighting these aspects of the Legion more, then I'd say "job" may be the right choice of words. This would essentially be Jon's first job.
    I guess you could spin it that way, but it always felt more like a club that only teenagers could get into that had some official standing but was mostly independent.

I'm just not sure emphasizing the bureaucracy aspect is the right move. It just seems to take the fun out of it. But that's just going into a title that might barely even be used in the actual comics.
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean, Jon's being given a uniform (that has similar design sensibilities as Cos, Saturn, and Lightning Lad) to join this team even though he has a perfectly fine super suit on hand already. Clark never had to be given a uniform. This feels like work clothes.
    Man, I hope the Legion costumes aren't treated like work clothes. I'd rather it be more meaningful then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm just not sure emphasizing the bureaucracy aspect is the right move.
    I'd say it depends on how it's played.

It just seems to take the fun out of it.
    I don't think it has to be the clubhouse vibe to be fun. I'm actually greatly enjoying the cool absurdity that Superman's 17 year old son is going to commute to the future for an interview in hopes of landing a job with the Legion.

In any case, I desperately, desperately, DESPERATELY need a new version of Superboy's tryout in whatever the updated context is. That always really sparked my imagination.

Man, I hope the Legion costumes aren't treated like work clothes. I'd rather it be more meaningful then that.
    Well, they seem to have a option to greatly customize their suits (or not even wear them).
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Here we go again?

Oh wait - President of earth, not the USA. Well that's completely different. Never mind.

It just occurred to me that super early on (I think even before a single issue came out) Bendis once said that he thinks of the Superman Family as "DC's First Family."

*insert The office Jim face here*

Looks like Bendis didn’t go to SDCC so unfortunately I don’t think we’ll get much info on what his plans for the next year of Superman are. He is going on the Late Night with Seth Mayer show next week, maybe we’ll get more info there?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

It just occurred to me that super early on (I think even before a single issue came out) Bendis once said that he thinks of the Superman Family as "DC's First Family."

*insert The office Jim face here*
    Yeah! Well i haven't felt like that since bendis took over. They don't even have good moments together.
    Edit-someone from reddit had said that didio says "doomsday clock will have major repercussions on the main continuity throughout 2020" . Is that true and is that going to tie into Bendis's run?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-19-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! Well i haven't felt like that since bendis took over. They don't even have good moments together.
    You appear to either be missing the point of the post/the point of Bendis' words in light of recent findings, or you didn't read the spoiler tags last page, or you don't understand the significance of the term "First Family" in American culture.

Whatever the case, that's not at all what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-19-2019 at 10:41 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

You appear to either be missing the point of the post/the point of Bendis' words in light of recent finds, or you didn't read the spoiler tags last page, or you don't understand the significance of the term "First Family" in American culture.

Whatever the case, that's not at all what I'm talking about.
    Oh! You mean like the president's family. Yeah! I didn't quite get that.i thought it was like the fantastic 4 being the first family of marvel
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-19-2019 at 10:41 PM.

No worries. I assumed that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Edit-someone from reddit had said that didio says "doomsday clock will have major repercussions on the main continuity throughout 2020" . Is that true and is that going to tie into Bendis's run?
    That’s what he said. Will it happen? Who knows but there’s always hope. Also keep in mind that Jon has successfully shown up in outside media with his Young Justice appearance. Once characters start showing up outside of comics it means they’re basically sticking around long term. Jon will hopefully be getting lots of other media appearances besides the comics in coming years, so even if the current status quo isn’t to your liking, there will be alternatives. If Young Justice gets a Season 4 I am positive Jon and Damian will be on the Team.

I'm completely off the Bendis bandwagon.

Still buying the issues because there IS some interesting stuff. None of it pertaining to Clark, Lois, or Jon (and I hope Old Jor-El not only dies, but gets completely erased from existence).

Really, all I can do is wait. And wonder:

What's the earliest possible eventual EXIT point for Bendis from the Superverse?

SUPERMAN #25? #50? #100?

Can't see him sticking around here through 100 issues. #25 seems too good to be true.

Issue #50 is probably the most ikely endpoint scenario.

The sooner this Bendis Superverse Era ends, the better, IMO.