Page 38 of 44 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I didn't say he his opinion was wrong, I just explained the book probably simply isn't for him. every review I've read or opinion from people who have enjoyed her run isn't because of the action, it was because of the character work. so if you aren't enjoying the character work then maybe this book isn't for you. I even used my own experience as an example of sometimes some books aren't for you and even suggested he trade-wait. I dropped KSD run on the first issue because I thought it was boring but when I reread it later down the run, I enjoyed it significantly more than I thought I would. the difference between you and this guy is instead of just dropping the book, we wants to argue that I don't know how comics work because HE THINKS character work doesn't doesn't progress the plot. that's not being testy, that's kinda just being a dick.
    Well they already said the book was (probably) not for them, and why, so no explanation was needed. I don't think it was a fair reply that they made, but I also don't think it should be surprising lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Well they already said the book was (probably) not for them, and why, so no explanation was needed. I don't think it was a fair reply that they made, but I also don't think it should be surprising lol.
    Exactly. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I'm not surprised he had a decenting opinion, i'm surprised at the lack of decency. he provided a perspective, I provided a counterpoint because is perspective had things I didn't agree with, namely that character work isn't progression and it doesn't keep attention. it's a discussion forum, where people discuss things in a forum, if you don't want your thoughts discussed don't post. if you are going to post, don't be a dick. it's super easy. thinking that a stance counter to your own means you need to be a dick is childish. if I had attacked him or insulted him in some way then sure, let the dickishness fly but I chose my words carefully because there is this thing called "respectfully disagreeing" where you exchange contrasting opinions and ideas without insulting being dick for no other ground than "my view is the only view, and anyone else who disagree is a so and so". for example, me and you are more or less respectfully disagreeing; you haven't insulted me, I haven't insulted you, and the world hasn't imploded from the pressure of all the pent up snark, condescension, and narcissism that's not uncontrollably spewing from our brains into the internet. obvious hyperbole aside you see my point, right?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Yeah yeah keep calling me a dick and childish. Just move on and prove you're mature about it.

Incredible Member

I fell off Aquaman during the Corum Rath storyline,
    Funny, that's the storyline that got me deeply invested in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier
    I've always been against trying to match comic Aquaman to movie Aquaman too much.
    I agree. It's a terrible and harmful thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Funny, that's the storyline that got me deeply invested in the series.
    I eventually went back and finished it, it was a good story but at some point it wasn't keeping my interest issue to issue; it just started to feel too long. funnily enough, when I went back to read it, I dropped off not too far from the ending LOL if I had stuck it out like a couple more issues I'd have been fine. it did have some of the best art I've seen in an Aquaman book tho. when he pulled up on Corum with the Trident blazing and his eye all glowy? sheeesh that was some stellar work! I think that was from Federici (maybe Sejic, I'm not shore), their style is a must grab

I agree. It's a terrible and harmful thing to do.
    ah, I can't necessarily say I agree that all movie synergy is bad or particularly harmful. sometimes it's the best incentive for the comics to do interesting things and update these characters in way they normally wouldn't. I mean, not EVERY change is productive or well thought out but i don't think the concept is inherently problematic for the characters.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-23-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    You dont have to have a fight in every issue but the least she can do is move the plot foward a bit. Good character moments alone won't get people to stick with this book. After this issue , I'm debating if I should drop it.
    I feel that often fights are the opposite of moving the plot forward. They can seriously slow things down and feel shoehorned in. Here the plot flows really well and I feel it is moving the story forward at a perfect pace. Each issue feels incredibly satisfying.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

ah, I can't necessarily say I agree that all movie synergy is bad or particularly harmful. sometimes it's the best incentive for the comics to do interesting things and update these characters in way they normally wouldn't. I mean, not EVERY change is productive or well thought out but i don't think the concept is inherently problematic for the characters.
    I think the problem is that changing characters to try and match with a movie depiction or other version that does it's own thing can sometimes feel inorganic and forced. It doesn't really strike me as "interesting" or an "update" since it's just trying to jump on or take from another depiction.

But I'm far from biased on the subject since I prefer comic Aquaman to Momoa's version. And I liked Momoa.

Ironically if they were really chasing for synergy then Arthur would be wearing the orange scalemail by now.

Incredible Member

I eventually went back and finished it, it was a good story but at some point it wasn't keeping my interest issue to issue; it just started to feel too long. funnily enough, when I went back to read it, I dropped off not too far from the ending LOL if I had stuck it out like a couple more issues I'd have been fine. it did have some of the best art I've seen in an Aquaman book tho. when he pulled up on Corum with the Trident blazing and his eye all glowy? sheeesh that was some stellar work! I think that was from Federici (maybe Sejic, I'm not shore), their style is a must grab.
    Yeah, the artwork was amazing.

I eventually ah, I can't necessarily say I agree that all movie synergy is bad or particularly harmful. sometimes it's the best incentive for the comics to do interesting things and update these characters in way they normally wouldn't. I mean, not EVERY change is productive or well thought out but i don't think the concept is inherently problematic for the characters.
    You're entitled to your opinion of course but personally I see it as a problem. This video here explains it very eloquently-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijdwfyUBN6E

Basically the problem is that it hurts the character's iconic nature. I actually liked the "Aquaman" movie but let's be real, that's not Aquaman from the comics. Trying to turn him into Aqua-mamoa gives people the wrong idea of who and what Aquaman is.

Also that point about "updating these characters." That's the problem, they don't need to be "updated." Superheroes are mythic figures. They are not meant to be "trendy" or "hip." They're meant to be iconic and timeless. Now obviously "some" changes are necessary as society changes (for example Sherlock Homes in this day and age should not be helping track down a runaway slave), but you need to be true to the core of what that character represents.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier
    I think the problem is that changing characters to try and match with a movie depiction or other version that does it's own thing can sometimes feel inorganic and forced. It doesn't really strike me as "interesting" or an "update" since it's just trying to jump on or take from another depiction.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 08-23-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Yeah, the artwork was amazing.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but personally I see it as a problem. This video here explains it very eloquently-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijdwfyUBN6E

Basically the problem is that it hurts the character's iconic nature. I actually liked the "Aquaman" movie but let's be real, that's not Aquaman from the comics. Trying to turn him into Aqua-mamoa gives people the wrong idea of who and what Aquaman is.

Also that point about "updating these characters." That's the problem, they don't need to be "updated." Superheroes are mythic figures. They are not meant to be "trendy" or "hip." They're meant to be iconic and timeless. Now obviously "some" changes are necessary as society changes (for example Sherlock Homes in this day and age should not be helping track down a runaway slave), but you need to be true to the core of what that character represents.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Exactly.

We're gonna have the agree to disagree, I really want to unpack this divide but I just wrote a life-size brick of text breaking down what I found un-agreeable with that guy's video and I didn't even get to my points about intertextual relationships between adaptations being a good thing, at which point i realized it's just too much to unpack and define and articulate. however I will say this, I believe this problem will always exist, intertextuality vs adaptation exclusivity, simply due to the nature of american superhero fiction being endlessly serialized with no set author and thus no real direction; only ever the illusion of direction.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-25-2019 at 04:10 PM.

currently following:

That's not to say there isn't anything I would like to see adapted from the movie, like the aesthetic for Atlantis or the Atlantean armor. Everything else was pretty much lifted from the comics anyways.

They can totally keep their Murk design though .

Mighty Member

I don't think there has to be one interpretation though. For example, I think both Adam West Batman and Kevin Conroy Batman are valid interpretations of the character and they couldn't be more different. And sometimes, adapting elements of versions of characters in other media strengthens the characters in the comics as well. Mr. Freeze being one of the best examples. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking pieces of Momoa's performance and incorporating that into the larger character (as long as it works well). And personally, I see more personality in Kelly Sue's Arthur than I've seen in either previous runs or the Momoa version. I think the is a good balance between the carefree dude nature of Momoa and the powerful quiet stoicism of the Aquaman in past runs.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I keep rereading Aquaman from Kingslayer to now and there is one thing i'm still confused about, when did Mera kill Aquaman? I know he went missing in Drowned Earth, and that's when Mera joined the Justice League, and after that, he appeared in the Village of the Old Gods with no memory. Then he had his adventure over there, he met with Mother Shark to get his memory back where we learn he met with Mera, she told him she was pregnant, it went sideways and he got killed. After getting that memory he left the Village and returned to Amnesty Bay. when could she have met with Aquaman to kill him?

currently following:

I think after Drowned Earth, he returned to Atlantis, but was "killed" by Mera there.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I think after Drowned Earth, he returned to Atlantis, but was "killed" by Mera there.
    I was thinking that, but then it made me wonder how would he get to the Old God's village? I guess it's possible she blew his body far enough away that it got swepted out to sea, picked up by Mother Shark, and dropped off at the Old God village. thanks!

currently following: