Page 64 of 96 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Surprised by the Marvel 1000 page.

It was nice for nostalgia, but I kinda feel like seeing them together like that just highlighted how they've moved past the name, like Eli (of all people) said.

Equally, absence clearly does make the heart grow fonder as I didnt mind seeing Eli again
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

The YA page on Marvel Comics #1000 was a delight! I really hope we get a one-shot or something by Heinberg/Cheung to continue this story. Do we know if they are involved in the Marvel Comics #1001 issue?

spoilers:
    I was really hoping Eli would be established back in NY and as a hero, so I'm glad we got both. It felt so fitting that Heinberg and Cheung were the ones to officially bring him back after they were also the ones who wrote him off last time around. Hopefully Marvel has big plans for him in the near future.

The fact that he mentioned that he was going to law school also got me thinking... what about the education of the other Young Avengers? I would love to see what plans they have (or don't have) when it comes to this.
    end of spoilers

That homage to Justin Ponsor was also really sweet. Which also made me realize just how different Cheung's Young Avengers look when colored by someone else. Justin's work was really unique and is going to be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Good news!
    Attachment 86282
    I like what I see so far.

And some bad news. The YA page in Marvel Comics #1000 was altered from what was originally previewed to the media. Apparently, they changed Eli saying the Young Avengers were back together, to instead saying it was a one-time thing. In other words, the planned YA revival has been cancelled!
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...-and-hulkling/
    I wouldn't say a revival is cancelled, 'cause we don't even know if there was going to be an ongoing revival in the first place. I just think they were trying to make that ending ambiguous so it would leave things open for a follow-up without feeling too much like a confirmation. Eli says it's a one-time thing, but then immediately says it's an ''until the next time thing'', so there was definitely teasing there.

I think it was just keep people happy writing rather than tease something to come writing.

With Marvel moving forward with Kate, I can't see them wanting to put her in a team called Young Avengers. Putting 'Young' anything just wouldn't work as a wider reaching team name for an MCU savvy audience, which is what they seem to want to do with things these days.

I still think we're going to see the team mashed with the Champions and that will be what the MCU gets going forward - and thus what we'll get in the comics - probably with the Champions name continuing over YA just for the sake of marketing and wider reaching potential without making it sound like something that is for kids.

Whether that means Eli comes back...who is to say at this point. There is another Patriot running around who already has a wider audience knowledge - maybe Eli will get a name change to try and avoid some legal issues (if there are any)...

Yeah, what I think probably happened is that they originally intended to bring back YA alongside Champions. But low sales for the Champs mean they're now cancelled, and unless the current incarnation gets a reprieve thanks to trade sales like Wasp's solo book did, it'll end up relaunched, with Kate at least added to the roster (she knows Miles now, after Journey Into Mystery). With Wiccan on Strikeforce and Hulkling in that "he will unite them" event in December, they'd be excluded. But Cassie (Nadia's new best pal after the birthday party), Eli (renamed to Battlestar?), Tommy (the team doesn't have a speedster), and America Chavez (probably replacing Zub's OC Pinpoint as the team's teleporter) would all be candidates to move over to the merged team too.

Of course, in movie sequels, the Young Avengers wouldn't be so young. The Champions name doesn't have the same problem.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-28-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Surprised by the Marvel 1000 page.

It was nice for nostalgia, but I kinda feel like seeing them together like that just highlighted how they've moved past the name, like Eli (of all people) said.

Equally, absence clearly does make the heart grow fonder as I didnt mind seeing Eli again
    Felt great to see Eli again! Definitely hope to see more of him!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

Yeah, what I think probably happened is that they originally intended to bring back YA alongside Champions. But low sales for the Champs mean they're now cancelled, and unless the current incarnation gets a reprieve thanks to trade sales like Wasp's solo book did, it'll end up relaunched, with Kate at least added to the roster (she knows Miles now, after Journey Into Mystery). With Wiccan on Strikeforce and Hulkling in that "he will unite them" event in December, they'd be excluded. But Cassie (Nadia's new best pal after the birthday party), Eli (renamed to Battlestar?), Tommy (the team doesn't have a speedster), and America Chavez (probably replacing Zub's OC Pinpoint as the team's teleporter) would all be candidates to move over to the merged team too.

Of course, in movie sequels, the Young Avengers wouldn't be so young. The Champions name doesn't have the same problem.
    That name belongs to somebody already.

I wouldn't say a revival is cancelled, 'cause we don't even know if there was going to be an ongoing revival in the first place. I just think they were trying to make that ending ambiguous so it would leave things open for a follow-up without feeling too much like a confirmation. Eli says it's a one-time thing, but then immediately says it's an ''until the next time thing'', so there was definitely teasing there.
    Why wouldn't you do a book when you pretty much OWN the teen market. Because your competition doesn't care for teens (unless they are done by Bendis).

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That name belongs to somebody already.
    That rarely seems to be much of a roadblock.

Especially when that other character has been in limbo for years. Thing is, the Champions already have a Patriot, and you can't call a black guy Bucky (that's why the existing Battlestar is called that in the first place).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I think it was just keep people happy writing rather than tease something to come writing.

With Marvel moving forward with Kate, I can't see them wanting to put her in a team called Young Avengers. Putting 'Young' anything just wouldn't work as a wider reaching team name for an MCU savvy audience, which is what they seem to want to do with things these days.

I still think we're going to see the team mashed with the Champions and that will be what the MCU gets going forward - and thus what we'll get in the comics - probably with the Champions name continuing over YA just for the sake of marketing and wider reaching potential without making it sound like something that is for kids.
    If they're looking for a wider audicence, then Young Avengers IS the most marketable name, because it actually has the advantage of milking an established successful franchise name. As a matter of fact, THE MOST successful cinematic franchise of all time. Which is why it doesn't surprise me that every rumor pointing to a teen team in the MCU out there suggests they are thinking of the Young Avengers. At this point it's the name with the most chance of going mainstream even outside of the comic book audience. There is a reason why so many casuals were saying things like ''Peter Parker and Shuri could lead the Young Avengers in the MCU''; that's because people know of the name, even if they have no idea what their comics are about. And from a business standpoint, that's a gold mine for Disney/Marvel, because they can do pretty much anything they want with that franchise just based on the name alone. I mean, you don't need to look further to see another example that worked: Young Justice. Plus, the comics JUST cancelled the Champions because of poor sales. If they are thinking of a new teen/young group anytime soon, it also makes sense from a business standpoint to try a different title to see if it sticks. And the Young Avengers have just been waiting for a relaunch now, having previous books with great to decent sales numbers to back them up. It's a no-brainer, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    That rarely seems to be much of a roadblock.
    Specially with minor characters like Battlestar. But a name I was thinking for Eli is... Truth. And yeah, I was thinking of it as a meta reference to the Truth series in which the Bradley family debuted on. Maybe in-story they could say that Eli's mission as a hero is to spread the TRUTH about the Captain America legacy and how it was whitewashed over the years to hide his grandfather. I think it could be a powerful name that works as both a statement and as a way to possibly keep ''Truth'' a Marvel IP.

I actually want the YA to adopt the Ultimates name. It still has a tangential connection to Avengers lore, but allows them to be their own team.
    The mission statement of "Ultimate problems, Ultimate solutions" would also fit a team of younger faces really well.

I do hope Marvel haven't given up on the Champions. I think there's more than enough room for both.

COUNTERPOINT: Young Justice sounds cool and Young Avengers sux.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    COUNTERPOINT: Young Justice sounds cool and Young Avengers sux.
    As names, I agree.

Young Justice is a legacy team that has their own identity starting right from the name. Young Avengers is a legacy team with too much baggage given the success of the parent franchise.

I can't see the MCU wanting to have anything to do with Young, Dark or Secret Avengers - and with the MCU being the driving force behind so much rn, I think we'll see much more name variety over franchise off shots so as to both a) establish a new franchise that you can generate money from and b) try to avoid comparisons to the parent franchise. You want a link to spin off, not a name to chain you down.

And some bad news. The YA page in Marvel Comics #1000 was altered from what was originally previewed to the media. Apparently, they changed Eli saying the Young Avengers were back together, to instead saying it was a one-time thing. In other words, the planned YA revival has been cancelled!
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/08...-and-hulkling/
    It's really nice seeing the team together again, especially Eli and Tommy.

And hey, Cassie as Stature .
    Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    The YA page on Marvel Comics #1000 was a delight! I really hope we get a one-shot or something by Heinberg/Cheung to continue this story. Do we know if they are involved in the Marvel Comics #1001 issue?

spoilers:
    I was really hoping Eli would be established back in NY and as a hero, so I'm glad we got both. It felt so fitting that Heinberg and Cheung were the ones to officially bring him back after they were also the ones who wrote him off last time around. Hopefully Marvel has big plans for him in the near future.

The fact that he mentioned that he was going to law school also got me thinking... what about the education of the other Young Avengers? I would love to see what plans they have (or don't have) when it comes to this.
    end of spoilers
    Cassie's still in high school.

I don't think Kate ever went to college. I don't remember Billy or Teddy ever mentioning school either.

Young Justice is a legacy team that has their own identity starting right from the name. Young Avengers is a legacy team with too much baggage given the success of the parent franchise.
    I fail to see how calling the derivative team of the Justice League ''Young Justice'' is more creative than calling the derivative team of the Avengers ''Young Avengers''. Name wise, it's quite literally the same premise. I can't argue about story/context because I'm not familiar with the YJ, though.

I can't see the MCU wanting to have anything to do with Young, Dark or Secret Avengers - and with the MCU being the driving force behind so much rn, I think we'll see much more name variety over franchise off shots so as to both a) establish a new franchise that you can generate money from and b) try to avoid comparisons to the parent franchise. You want a link to spin off, not a name to chain you down.
    I honestly don't know where you're getting this idea about Marvel Studios. They will bet on new names, sure, but look at some of their recent announcements: Jane Foster as Thor, Yelena Belova as Black Widow, Kate Bishop as Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk. Does that really sound like a company that's stepping away from derivative names to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Cassie's still in high school.

I don't think Kate ever went to college. I don't remember Billy or Teddy ever mentioning school either.
    I could see Kate and Tommy skipping college. I could totally see Billy and Cassie (once she graduates) attending, though. Teddy... is a mystery to me. Hopefully the upcoming cosmic event will give him a bigger purpose in life.

Billy was said to be in class during that one shot where the Watcher was killed cant remember the event. Just remember Teddy for some reason thought it was socially acceptable to hang out with the would be homewrecking Krakoa reject David. Who only exist due to the Demiurge's divine mercy. And they went to pick up Noh Var who was depressed or some **** at the time. It was after Volume 2 had ended so might have been college but I can neither confirm or deny. I only vaguely remember this one shot.
    Last edited by Journey; 08-29-2019 at 03:21 PM.