Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post

Can't lie, I still kinda 'ship it.
    ...ah, if things were different this could be fun...

yea, me too

...things could be fun

Kurt and Logan and their first trip together to Canada is one of my favorite classic adventures.
    So many important panels in those two comics.

This whole 'thing' here, Aurora and Kurt, this hasn't aged a bit...if anything, no lie, no nostalgia really, it's just that this potential is even more poignant for me now.

And also, there's something about Nightcrawler and Northstar that I kinda wish...

"fun" is heroic...when adults flirt like kids...in uniforms...well...especially when we know stuff about them...as a way to get to know one another...fighting on the edge of for real...too fast and uncatchable...heroic.

oui & ja & yes - 'ship and set sail
    Last edited by sungila; 09-16-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Can't lie, I still kinda 'ship it.
    I presume this was never followed up on . oh well. I'd give them an alternate future family. flying superspeed teleporter kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I presume this was never followed up on . oh well. I'd give them an alternate future family. flying superspeed teleporter kids.
    Alas, no. Which is a shame, because Kurt could be so good for Jeanne Marie. Also, family drama...

I miss X-Men Gold. This HOX and POX I’m really disliking. So OOC.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I miss X-Men Gold. This HOX and POX I’m really disliking. So OOC.
    I miss rosenberg's uncanny.

So so so weird.

Bill Sienkiewicz

& the art of Nightcrawler

tumblr_n90tze4w451qi4em3o1_1280.jpg

"...and yet these things have had a greater impact on an entire generation's collective psyche and emotional frames of reference much more so than work hanging in museums have, because it was in our lives on a daily basis. Hmm, disposable… Yet had more of an impact than one might suspect -- sound like comics?"

dc43ba076985c2d9976b4285cfa1c0cb.jpg

"It was something that felt bigger than life. It was not bound by the conventions of light or shadow... or physics. It was an emotional element. I think that it was really liberating."

Do any of you ever wish, like I do, that there could be a Nightcrawler solo or one-shot with no words?

If so, who would you like to 'draw' it?

Imagine, for instance, Nightcrawler as graffiti art.
    Or installation art...the acts of teleportation...the artifacts of...how to frame a jaunt...etc.

Art. Pop art. the 80's.
    Hommage and cut ups...Kurt piecing together a look and image and yet, sticking with his circus outfit...from something tailored with fabrics sewn by hand...to unstable molecules...to his nudes, near nudes and various...deisrobings...his careful attention to detail and fashion and precision and yet, this stubborn reliance to hold on to a childhood...before...always somehow clinging to hopeful period of promise...to an ideal...that never really was as real as Kurt would have it...and if it ever was...would he/

All this and smoke and mirrors of course and the truth and the fantasy...

Trapeze art.

Nomadism.

Escape.

Art and resistance, rebellion

Beauty as a brief and then BAMF and the death in every BAMF arrival.

Kurt as a collector and fan and image inducer carrying...shadow absorbing...son of shapeshifting...all very...
    Even the color palate of black and red and blue and brimstone purple...with white gloves and shoes...or socks

all so very interesting to me

and you?
    Last edited by sungila; 09-17-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Bill Sienkiewicz

& the art of Nightcrawler

tumblr_n90tze4w451qi4em3o1_1280.jpg

"...and yet these things have had a greater impact on an entire generation's collective psyche and emotional frames of reference much more so than work hanging in museums have, because it was in our lives on a daily basis. Hmm, disposable… Yet had more of an impact than one might suspect -- sound like comics?"

dc43ba076985c2d9976b4285cfa1c0cb.jpg

"It was something that felt bigger than life. It was not bound by the conventions of light or shadow... or physics. It was an emotional element. I think that it was really liberating."

Do any of you ever wish, like I do, that there could be a Nightcrawler solo or one-shot with no words?

If so, who would you like to 'draw' it?

Imagine, for instance, Nightcrawler as graffiti art.
    Or installation art...the acts of teleportation...the artifacts of...how to frame a jaunt...etc.

Art. Pop art. the 80's.
    Hommage and cut ups...Kurt piecing together a look and image and yet, sticking with his circus outfit...from something tailored with fabrics sewn by hand...to unstable molecules...to his nudes, near nudes and various...deisrobings...his careful attention to detail and fashion and precision and yet, this stubborn reliance to hold on to a childhood...before...always somehow clinging to hopeful period of promise...to an ideal...that never really was as real as Kurt would have it...and if it ever was...would he/

All this and smoke and mirrors of course and the truth and the fantasy...

Trapeze art.

Nomadism.

Escape.

Art and resistance, rebellion

Beauty as a brief and then BAMF and the death in every BAMF arrival.

Kurt as a collector and fan and image inducer carrying...shadow absorbing...son of shapeshifting...all very...
    Even the color palate of black and red and blue and brimstone purple...with white gloves and shoes...or socks

all so very interesting to me

and you?
    As an artist, the art in a comic is always incredibly important to me.
    I’ve only just started re-reading them, I pretty much stopped in the 90s.
    It’s fascinating how the technology of both the art, the colours and, just as importantly, the printing has come on since the four colour printing process which dominated the medium for decades. The medium influences the art, for example, the Phoenix costume was designed to be white and gold, but the paper was so poor and the printing so crude, that they had to make it green and gold because of the bleed through from the pages.

To answer your question, a good artist with a good writer could most certainly do an entire issue without dialogue and Kurt, who is so visually interesting would be an ideal candidate. Artists love drawing him.

I have a long, long love affair with Alan Davis’ art, way back in the days of Warrior and 2000AD. Part of what I love is that he has more than one body type for men, women, non combatants, children. And the same for faces. So many comics artists fall back on just one or two similar ones. So he’d be my first choice, but I am sure there are more recent artists who would give it a good crack.

My main criteria for drawing Kurt well is to remember that he’s built like a dancer or an athlete, not a weight lifter. And always graceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whist View Post
    As an artist, the art in a comic is always incredibly important to me.
    I’ve only just started re-reading them, I pretty much stopped in the 90s.
    It’s fascinating how the technology of both the art, the colours and, just as importantly, the printing has come on since the four colour printing process which dominated the medium for decades. The medium influences the art, for example, the Phoenix costume was designed to be white and gold, but the paper was so poor and the printing so crude, that they had to make it green and gold because of the bleed through from the pages.

To answer your question, a good artist with a good writer could most certainly do an entire issue without dialogue and Kurt, who is so visually interesting would be an ideal candidate. Artists love drawing him.

I have a long, long love affair with Alan Davis’ art, way back in the days of Warrior and 2000AD. Part of what I love is that he has more than one body type for men, women, non combatants, children. And the same for faces. So many comics artists fall back on just one or two similar ones. So he’d be my first choice, but I am sure there are more recent artists who would give it a good crack.

My main criteria for drawing Kurt well is to remember that he’s built like a dancer or an athlete, not a weight lifter. And always graceful.
    I sometimes wonder how and if Nightcrawler's role in storylines, panels and in the produced comics is influenced by how the creators are able to 'see' and hear him 'speak'.

Or more importantly, how or if they, themselves are able to speak through his voice/body/accent/cadence and gait.

Historically, Alan Davis is a favorite of mine as well, and yet, over the years I've found myself increasing at odds with his characterization of Kurt as a kind of romanic ideal of Byron-esque misogyny. It can be jarring when witnessing how his core prejudices work to ensure his place by enforcing the place of others. That he be the the rescue, the refuge, and the (all too buff) blue velvety chest that the maiden clings to, sword in hand, helpless to the distress of "a lady." For me, this actually is a cause for distress. This causes distress. This polarizes a situation. It's aggressive and predatory. When anybody is told "Come to me" that command is never a safe place to go.

Anyway, I see that Kurt as Jonathan Carter or Kurt as Indiana Jones or Kurt as 90's Kurt Wagner the Nightcrawler : I see those versions of Kurt as contradictory and by not resolving this characterization in both form and substance, Nightcrawler is justifiably always vulnerable to being deservedly fixed into being representative of that guy and also a victim to the 'that guy'...(the complicated but cute one...but not really). Psst, I know you don't feel cute. But you must perform!

Age of X-Man gave me the creeps primarily because it didn't resolve this or even get into it really, but actually fueled it. It's 'that guy' again that guy is unsettling in his self occupied lack of self worth....his machismo an act, and so much so that he openly and valiantly (so ironic) hits women, his mother and lover in this case, that he also abandons children, doesn't see or even fully appreciate the emotional complexity and agency of others, that he attaches himself (in an odd sacrificial way) to a corrupt state of falsehood, oppression and totalitarian oppression. And does it as self sacrifice! That's relatable yes, but it's also the same old stuff.

To be contained. To be validated. To be free of accountability, growth and the true discomfort of standing in very ideal light he himself casts upon others in judgment born of inward indictment, to take that stand.

Kurt's power is most potent in its still vital potential to change...to actually...bravely, do ordinary things...a job, rent, groceries.

So, of course, at best, seeing Nightcrawler in the first runs of Excalibur was amazing and still is! When he pins Captian Britain to the wall...wow...but also, uh...it's an island, he's a victim...he fights the bully. He doesn't lose...he doesn't win. He sermonizes. Sympathy...for the devil? Or is it angel? Or do some men believe they have to be one or the other or worse yet, both?

There are moments of conflict in Exacilbur and the arcs of UXM leading into it where Kurt does seem conflicted about being a super powered guy (how he looks matters to Nightcrawler) but Claremont often sadly abandons this conflict sometimes jarringly so it's erratic and never sustained. But its Claremont and his best co-creators who 'draw' the best Kurt.

It is important how he is drawn. It's the primary voice and language. The joy and exuberance of his swashbuckling motion...the disappearing into shadows of his despair and brooding...that tail...when it's expressive.

To me how Kurt looks really resonates most and circles back to Kurt destroyed (by the sequence of his own destruction, so it's earned and powerful and true) on the cover of UXM #210.

If I could choose an artist to do a wordless comic of Kurt that spoke with both the his grace and stuttering flaws it'd have to be somebody who actually feels what it means to lose momentum on the trapeze...to come to a dead stopping point (that could be funny looking) above the audience, exposed, not able to teleport or escape...and to actually materialize...even for a moment...even for a missed moment...so, I don't know if it could be an artist who sees themselves at all really...but an artist who creates in order to possibly see...from the shadows...not into the light, necessarily - but to that very edge where the trigger to teleport, to actually perform a miraculous act...to actually be mutant...which is also to be blue and in all ways different than everybody else and yet, no different in being a body set apart from bodies...you know...how to ignite that possibility by creating its cusp of potential...how to reach that edge and leap or let go of that bar (cage or trapeze) and not die or disappear.

So maybe it'd be Mikhail Baryshnikov, taken in stills from a black and white film of two separate performances of a solo from 'La Bayadere' given by Mikhail Baryshnikov at the Moscow International Ballet Competition in 1969...but that'd just the first few pages...

Then the splash is Kurt...2019...dancing alone...in a studio somewhere...and turning off the light as he leaves the mirrored room...the room in darkness for a panel...(no messages on his cell phone)...looking at a few selfies...losing interest...

Then cut right into a messy fight with the X-Men (why not in the tunnels just before he's spun into a coma) then instead of Logan being the lone wolf featured in BWS and Claremont's #212... how about a version of Kurt waking from that coma alone and disorientated...hunted...wounded...etc...how graceful would Kurt be in his white gloves...sewer drenched and frightened...in flight...to where, to whose arms?

Yea, I'm horrible at social media platforms. Sorry. I don't know. This screen does light right? So words like uncast shadows. With the depth of anything dark, not deep.

All this, simply lit into the overall illumination.
    To cut and paste and virtually share.

Anywhere, anytime, anyplace...

He did win the gold for that performance. Or performances. Those two on youtube.
    Last edited by sungila; 09-24-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Some nice comments about the iconic original NC costume here.
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...30-x-costumes/
    It’s not just the beautiful (and clearly timeless) design it’s how well it suits Kurt’s personality.

There are also spoilers floating about regarding his future in the franchise.

spoilers:
    The island nation is to have a ruling council, The Quiet Council. The spoilers are regarding who is to be on said council, three of whom are Jean, Ororo and Kurt.
    Of course, this doesn’t explain why Jean and Ororo are on other books but Kurt isn’t.
    But it promises to be interesting, for certain values of the word (as in ‘may you live in interesting times’) given that some members of the council are likely to be troublesome. Particularly his darling mother.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 09-30-2019 at 10:52 AM.

I also did my first NC fan art in about thirty years but when I try to upload it it’s upside down!
    Even if I invert it before uploading, it comes out upside down, so I have no clue how to fix it, sorry.

A28B9396-EC8C-44BB-9310-E27634B11E5A.jpg

P.s. While I’m doing the self promotion, I’m also writing fanfic, if anyone is interested, it’s slash.

Nice art! I really like that willow-y look for Kurt.

As for the 'fic, no reason you can't post a link to your AO3 when it's done.

Nice art! I really like that willow-y look for Kurt.

As for the 'fic, no reason you can't post a link to your AO3 when it's done.
    Thanks. He’s only 160lbs, that’s 11st 4lbs in English money and, for a guy, that’s quite light. Muscles are heavy, so he’s going to be lean, which fits with the athlete aesthetic. I have a couple of books of ballet dancers on my shelf, which date back to when I was drawing him 30 years ago, dancers are very well muscled. No internet in them days.

All my stories are, mercifully, short. And slash, As I’ve been throwing that poor lad into bed since 1980, not really going to stop now.
    https://archiveofourown.org/users/Su...terfield/works

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whist View Post
    I also did my first NC fan art in about thirty years but when I try to upload it it’s upside down!
    Even if I invert it before uploading, it comes out upside down, so I have no clue how to fix it, sorry.

A28B9396-EC8C-44BB-9310-E27634B11E5A.jpg

P.s. While I’m doing the self promotion, I’m also writing fanfic, if anyone is interested, it’s slash.
    Yay! So great Su-Whist. Thanks for sharing.
    Looking forward to reading your work soon.

Been having a kinda jaunt over it sorta Nightcrawler moment lately.
    Why not be amazing you know?

"Every goddamn Marvel weird-looking person (is brooding), so why not have one who doesn’t?” ~ Dave Cockrum

Here's one I did last night:
    0.jpg

I abide by an after midnight 7min sketch rule...to ward my demons from thinking about it...

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Yay! So great Su-Whist. Thanks for sharing.
    Looking forward to reading your work soon.

Been having a kinda jaunt over it sorta Nightcrawler moment lately.
    Why not be amazing you know?

"Every goddamn Marvel weird-looking person (is brooding), so why not have one who doesn’t?” ~ Dave Cockrum

Here's one I did last night:
    0.jpg

I abide by an after midnight 7min sketch rule...to ward my demons from thinking about it...
    That’s so cute!

Still somewhat conflicted by this weeks House of X, I think the island community with a distinct mutant culture is a fabulous idea and could lead to fascinating new plots but the set up still seems too cult like for me to be really comfortable with it.
    We’ll see.

I’m also not comfortable with Kurt spouting scripture this week, that feels more like a US born again Christian, rather than a European Catholic. Make More Mutants, does that mean the island is banning birth control, because I have issues with that.
    I would have hoped he would have been the one to suggest the no killing law.

Fanfic is Su Whisterfield on A3 (which is down for maintenance at the mo).