Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Cyclops Wins. He may get a bloody nose and maybe a shiner, but he still wins.

Hal has military training and saw his share of h2h fights, but Scott is on another level. He's an expert in several forms of martial arts (I'll say B Tier of best h2h fighters in the X-Men) and has several feats to prove it.

Some Feats I remember:
    - Fighting multiple opponents with his eyes closed
    - Easily defeating several thugs in jail
    - Hacked a monster to pieces using a sword blindfolded

Uh, didn't Hal also slap up a Polar Bear ?

I feel like he should just flat overpower Scott ?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Uh, didn't Hal also slap up a Polar Bear ?
    Wut.

I mean...

... wut.

BANNED

Forget the grizzly he beat the stuffing out of Guy, the vuldarian Powerhouse! His hth must be legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Wut.

I mean...

... wut.
    Yea, he fought him for control of an iceberg ... and it looked like he was out of power at the time, because he just threw hands with him. Though he's still got the ring so ... no idea ?

Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I'm slightly more impressed that Hal can outswim a polar bear in freezing water.

BANNED

He knocked the bear out with that power dive.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

This kind of smacks as "not really at all consistent with his presentation."

That, or the writer has no idea at all what a polar bear is or what it's capable of.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

So the thing is Hal actually has a lot of stuff like that. But I'll note that that might have been Precrisis, as are a lot of his hand to hand feats. Post crisis, he's still taken down mobs of people, put Batman on his ass, and thrown down with super strong aliens. He does that kind of stuff rather a lot... The issue is that there's no real reason WHY he should be able to land a hit on Batman for example, or take on whole mobs of people. He doesn't have some insane history of training in the martial arts or whatever. He's just supposed to be a tough sinuva gun. So I don't tend to take it too seriously.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 10-15-2019 at 06:22 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    So the thing is Hal actually has a lot of stuff like that. But I'll note that that might have been Precrisis, as are a lot of his hand to hand feats. Post crisis, he's still taken down mons of people, put Batman on his ass, and thrown down with super strong aliens. He does that kind of stuff rather a lot... The issue is that there's no real reason WHY he should be able to land a hit on Batman for example, or take on whole mobs of people. He doesn't have some insane history of training in the martial arts or whatever. He's just supposed to be a tough sinuva gun. So I don't tend to take it too seriously.
    It's a pretty standard trope in some fiction that 'tough brawler' can throw down against 'hyperskilled martial artist who is billed as one of the best fighters in the world'. Because...unpredictability? Doesn't follow 'rules'? Diiiirrrrrteeee Fighting? Or other garbage reasons that don't stand up to the least examination.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    It's a pretty standard trope in some fiction that 'tough brawler' can throw down against 'hyperskilled martial artist who is billed as one of the best fighters in the world'. Because...unpredictability? Doesn't follow 'rules'? Diiiirrrrrteeee Fighting? Or other garbage reasons that don't stand up to the least examination.
    That's true. I'm not 100% sure what to do it from a rumbles perspective though. I'm reminded of Vargas or Karate Kid having pretty hilariously bad explanations for their fighting capacity, and we tend to use them as written.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    That's true. I'm not 100% sure what to do it from a rumbles perspective though. I'm reminded of Vargas or Karate Kid having pretty hilariously bad explanations for their fighting capacity, and we tend to use them as written.
    Feats are feats, as long as they make some sense with the characters' presentation. Just commenting on the silliness of the trope.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I mean, the "It's not hard getting him off balance, the trick is keeping him there!" line... Adult polar bears weigh 700kg or so. An, I dunno, 85kg dude without mystical martial arts kablooey is going to have a REALLY hard time putting that thing off-balance with a kick.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

BANNED

Those little blue guys sure don't let poozers out till they can handle grizzly bears singlehandedly.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I mean, the "It's not hard getting him off balance, the trick is keeping him there!" line... Adult polar bears weigh 700kg or so. An, I dunno, 85kg dude without mystical martial arts kablooey is going to have a REALLY hard time putting that thing off-balance with a kick.
    Did it with a shoulder tackle which is...throwing a tiny body into a huge quadruped.

Basically serving himself up for dinner.
    Why are we here?