Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Big time - I had that thought earlier today, actually. And then I had another thought: first, they reacted to all the crap Superman's trunks get, and "New Coke'd" his trunks so now (most) people are fine that they're back. Now, it would seem they're doing the same thing to his need of a secret identity. That may or may not be the intention, but I have a feeling that's what the effect will be.
    I dunno if the secret identity gets enough crap for DC to try something like this. Do that many people really bitch about it? This is going to be pretty polarizing and hard to pull off, would they really do this just because a small handful of people don't get the secret identity? And honestly, I dont give DC enough credit to believe they'd do something this complex. They don't really do "long term" anymore. They just react to whatever knee-jerk idiocy comes out of fans' mouths. Planning moves three steps ahead seems beyond them.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Now that you mention it, yeah, you're totally right.
    Right?

That feels like a positive thing to me. Like DC is actually invested in telling this story and letting things play out. The big stories that always stick and become staples of the mythology, the stuff that transcends continuity, often get this kind of treatment.

I dont know if that's what is happening here. Depends on how well Bendis executes the story, and whether he can convince fans it's a viable "next step" in Clark's life.

But.....in a lot of "future stories" Clark *does* leave the secret ID behind. And Bendis has been trying to build the mythos towards that "next step" life. I think, if they actually do this thing well, we might all be surprised, and this could end up being a staple, like marrying Lois and dying have become.

Looking forward to seeing who the villain is that changes their ways. So far I'm guessing it's out off Toyman, Livewire, and Red Cloud. Livewire or Red Cloud would be kind of easy, imo, so I'd actually be really down for it to be Toyman. It'd be kind of wild if he kind of become the new Prof Hamilton/reverse Lex.
    Toyman's not a bad guess. That talk way back in Bendis' first issues about "how great I could be if only I was great" could take on a new light. But I'm not sure why this reveal would make him change his ways? He didn't seem mentally stable enough for this to work....but it would indeed be a fun twist and a fun new role for Toyman. And it wouldn't even be the first time *a* Toyman served as Clark's tech guy.

My guess is Red Cloud. She knows Clark Kent, and has seen first hand the kind of crap he puts up with just so he can be Superman and still have a life. She's seen a god get yelled at by his boss. That might be what makes her realize that she's wasting her potential chasing selfish gains as a villain. And since she recently got powered up by Lex, this gives us the chance to see her reject his gift as a manifestation of her changing her ways.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Clark's integrity wouldn't really matter. He will no longer be a reporter. He is going to be president. Isn't he?
    Holy sh!t hahaha Not sure if you intended for it, but this made me laugh in the context of current events haha
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Big time - I had that thought earlier today, actually. And then I had another thought: first, they reacted to all the crap Superman's trunks get, and "New Coke'd" his trunks so now (most) people are fine that they're back. Now, it would seem they're doing the same thing to his need of a secret identity. That may or may not be the intention, but I have a feeling that's what the effect will be.
    Nope! (most) People weren't fine with his trunks. They accepted it because one it was the 1000th issue two we are stuck with bendis. Because its meaningless piece of outdated accessory . Reborn was the best suit. I have no. Issue with trunks. It had a meaning. Now, it doesn't. When was the last time clark acted like a strong man of any kind. The answer is a long time. If they are going to bring that back bring it with meaning not like this. And one top of that those cufflinks on hand.the current costume is nothing to write home about.

Holy sh!t hahaha Not sure if you intended for it, but this made me laugh in the context of current events haha
    It was kind of a poking fun. But, i wouldn't call it a joke. Glad you got a laugh out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno if the secret identity gets enough crap for DC to try something like this. Do that many people really bitch about it? This is going to be pretty polarizing and hard to pull off, would they really do this just because a small handful of people don't get the secret identity? And honestly, I dont give DC enough credit to believe they'd do something this complex. They don't really do "long term" anymore. They just react to whatever knee-jerk idiocy comes out of fans' mouths. Planning moves three steps ahead seems beyond them.
    Oh, I'm with you that they aren't doing this intentionally. And that they can't think three steps ahead (what am I saying, not even two steps..lol) They certainly didn't "New Coke" the classic suit intentionally. I'm just thinking that there's a chance it's going to have the same effect.

As for complaints.. I'd say just as many people complained as much about "glasses aren't a real disguise" as they do/did about "red panties" so I could totally see that being a thing.

Nope! (most) People weren't fine with his trunks. They accepted it because one it was the 1000th issue two we are stuck with bendis. Because its meaningless piece of outdated accessory . Reborn was the best suit. I have no. Issue with trunks. It had a meaning. Now, it doesn't. When was the last time clark acted like a strong man of any kind. The answer is a long time. If they are going to bring that back bring it with meaning not like this. And one top of that those cufflinks on hand.the current costume is nothing to write home about.
    Yep! Most people in media aren't really complaining with the same fervor they used to when Superman comes up. In fact, some of the personalities I used to see harp on it seemed almost excited to get them back - which shocked me. Heck, Batman's got his back, too!

I will say, I liked the Reborn suit a lot, too. It's a great "modern" take on a suit. But nothing will beat the classic suit. It's just iconic. Which is why, loooong after any sense of the strongman era is forgotten, Superman will still be wearing them most of the time (at least, in "the grand scheme of things").
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

They just react to whatever knee-jerk idiocy comes out of fans' mouths. Planning moves three steps ahead seems beyond them.
    I think they do plenty of knee-jerk idiocy that never came out of a fan's mouth.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Oh wow, I was only half joking about the Toyman going good thing, but having listened to some of the new Bendis' tapes, it seems like that's a legit possiblity given that Bendis' singles him out pretty hard and says that Clark's choices changes something with him. Nice.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Oh wow, I was only half joking about the Toyman going good thing, but having listened to some of the new Bendis' tapes, it seems like that's a legit possiblity given that Bendis' singles him out pretty hard and says that Clark's choices changes something with him. Nice.
    Toyman getting any kind of focus is welcome even if it’s not personally what I want done with him. If he’s going good I hope we get something like Riddler becoming a detective with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I don't think the Daily Planet will be sidelined. I'm sure it'll become a recurring target for Superman's enemies after his identity will be public.
    Which reminds me that loosing secret identity is not a good idea. In MCU the villains die in one movie. But in comics the villains aren't killed off in one issue. This thing happened in Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow. The Daily Planet was attacked. And Superman had to move into the Fortress with his close friends to make the last stand.

Hopefully, Superman does not start a campaign to register all superheroes and reveal their secret identities, leading to a war between two factions of heroes with one side lead by Batman which ends with Lois Lane dying and to save her he sells his marriage to the devil...But the devil turns out to be the Joker who blows up Metropolis and Superman goes crazy. He kills the Joker, takes over the world to stop any future injustice.

That wasn't a good joke. I wonder what will happen to his life as Clark Kent. Can he go back to be a reporter in Daily Planet? Or should he? I feel like he would. That was his choice. Then shall he remain just a reporter? He can become the Editor. Or start his own newspaper. Why is he doing this? If he wants to speak his mind to the people, he can take to hosting a news show. Or any show. Say he hosts his own show where he goes to a far off planet and make a documentary style show which is informative but ultimately tries to show that we aren't so different even if we are from different plantets. And we need to be united to solve our problems.

Or say he becomes a consulting detective for crime scenes which is quite useful due to his heightened senses. Which leads to cosing down drug cartels or human trafficking dens. Or say he starts his new Fortress outside of Metropolis which is primarily for scientific research where he collaborates with the STAR Labs. There is no need to say he needs to stick to one job either.

So, while writing this post i think it might not be that bad an idea. Unless its executed like this: Superman does not need a secret identity or a job of newspaperman. So, forget it. Now he is a space politician-cum-superhero 24/7. That would mean i shall drop Superman till a certain Mr Mxy comes and brings back the dual identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Which reminds me that loosing secret identity is not a good idea. In MCU the villains die in one movie. But in comics the villains aren't killed off in one issue. This thing happened in Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow. The Daily Planet was attacked. And Superman had to move into the Fortress with his close friends to make the last stand.
    In universe, why would villains attack the Daily Planet knowing that not only are Superman's well known best friends there, but potentially Superman himself? Really, the trope that heroes need their secret identity to protect people only works if they aren't publicly known to be best friends Jimmy Olsen and so close to Lois Lane that the public and villains already thought that they were dating.

Yep! Most people in media aren't really complaining with the same fervor they used to when Superman comes up. In fact, some of the personalities I used to see harp on it seemed almost excited to get them back - which shocked me. Heck, Batman's got his back, too!

I will say, I liked the Reborn suit a lot, too. It's a great "modern" take on a suit. But nothing will beat the classic suit. It's just iconic. Which is why, loooong after any sense of the strongman era is forgotten, Superman will still be wearing them most of the time (at least, in "the grand scheme of things").
    I am just saying, It's iconic because it had a meaning. It can have that meaning again. People still complain about. Go to YouTube or twitter. They made fuss about Superman's cw kingdom come costume. If clark is back in the trunks. I want it to have a meaning. They are currently not providing me that. Otherwise his trunks or cape or anything is just a piece of clothing that can be changed with time.
    Nobody complains about goku wearing his gi. Because he is a martial artist. Nobody complains about sherlock holmes wearing his hat. Because its his gear as detective. People don't generally know why clark wears the trunks. They don't find any connections to the clothing and Clark's characterisation . So they can't connect to it or understand it. So, they feel it should be gotten rid of. It is perfectly understable feeling.

How much of a reporter can he be when he’s battling villains all the time? I like the idea of getting rid of the reporter career.

I can’t believe there are discussions about the trunks. I honestly can’t believe they came back.

He’s not battling villains all the time though, same way Spidey isn’t battling villains all the time. And getting rid of the reporter career is bad if you don’t have something to replace it. You’re cutting out a lot of his supporting cast and you’re cutting down on ways to show Superman’s humanity. I’m only willing to not immediately write this off because being President will let Supes keep the divide between the hero and the civilian side of who he is and it offers a new dynamic that’s potentially interesting. But if the sales for this are soft, and Bendis hasn’t lit up the sales charts so far, I fully expect they’ll undo this just like they did at the end of the New 52.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-21-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    How much of a reporter can he be when he’s battling villains all the time? I like the idea of getting rid of the reporter career.

I can’t believe there are discussions about the trunks. I honestly can’t believe they came back.
    His tagline is truth and justice. If he isn't asking questions then what's the point? . Would you Ask batman to not be a detective or wolverine to stop being the best at what he does and be nice, cute and cuddly forever?

I am just saying, It's iconic because it had a meaning. It can have that meaning again. People still complain about. Go to YouTube or twitter. They made fuss about Superman's cw kingdom come costume. If clark is back in the trunks. I want it to have a meaning. They are currently not providing me that. Otherwise his trunks or cape or anything is just a piece of clothing that can be changed with time.
    Nobody complains about goku wearing his gi. Because he is a martial artist. Nobody complains about sherlock holmes wearing his hat. Because its his gear as detective. People don't generally know why clark wears the trunks. They don't find any connections to the clothing and Clark's characterisation . So they can't connect to it or understand it. So, they feel it should be gotten rid of. It is perfectly understable feeling.
    I can absolutely get where you're coming from, but I think it's transcended that at this point. It's like Jughead and his hat from Archie Comics. That hat style evolved from something that I didn't even know existed before looking it up. But the hat now belongs to Jughead. And while people still do understand where Superman's trunks come from (or they're at least aware of it), it's now gotten to a point that the trunks "belong" to Superman. They're as much a part of people's association with his costume as the cape, etc. That's not to say the like it better or that it has to be there - just that when they think of Superman in general, it's there.
    Last edited by JAK; 10-21-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/