Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The reliance on Jon, Rose, and Damien in the first few issues makes a strong showing from the traditional cast seem less likely. Plus the Aquaman trident and New Gotham plots scream 21st century focus.
    Yeah, I'm getting the same feeling as I got in Legion of Three Worlds, which, from the title, seemed like it would be a great thing for *the Legion,* but turned into the Conner Kent and Bart Allen show, by the end, and was kind of a stealth way to resurrect those two characters.

(Don't get me wrong, I love Conner and Bart, and am happy to get them back, but feel a bit bait-and-switched by that book, since it was billed as a Legion book, and mostly used the Legion and their setting as a vehicle to advance some other 21st century character's stories. And that seems to be happening here, with Jon, Damien, and Rose getting the lion's share of the development here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting the same feeling as I got in Legion of Three Worlds, which, from the title, seemed like it would be a great thing for *the Legion,* but turned into the Conner Kent and Bart Allen show, by the end, and was kind of a stealth way to resurrect those two characters.

(Don't get me wrong, I love Conner and Bart, and am happy to get them back, but feel a bit bait-and-switched by that book, since it was billed as a Legion book, and mostly used the Legion and their setting as a vehicle to advance some other 21st century character's stories. And that seems to be happening here, with Jon, Damien, and Rose getting the lion's share of the development here.)
    I never thought of it that way before, and I liked Legion of Three Worlds.

Join Brian and John at 1:06:20 to talk about handling a large cast and dad tags.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I get why it would come off that way but I still felt there were plenty of character moments between the actual Legion to where it was appropriately a Legion story.

Extraordinary Member

Those were the days. Wolfman/Perez were coming off a stellar run on the Teen Titans, and the Legion team (Levitz and some combination of Giffen, Laroque and Lightle, IIRC) was at the top of their game. Some innovative new characters were introduced, like Sensor Girl and Tellus, and some I was less thrilled with, like Quislet (but then again, not every character has to be *my* favorite, and the little guy has his fans!).

I feel like neither title or team has really ever fully recaptured the magic of those runs, although there've been some good stories along the way.
    Both teams suffered after Crisis On Infinite Earths. They were never able to recover from major decisions made in the re-introduction of important characters (Superboy wiped out of Legion history, Wonder Girl was never an amazon).

But before Crisis, both of these books were head and shoulders above any other DC books for sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I googled Legion images trying to find what a classic lineup looks like. I’m pretty clueless. The one I’ve attached came up quite a bit. Not knocking it at all but this wouldn’t grab my interest at all. I like that Bendis has tried to make characters more diverse. Maybe he should’ve focused on a new set of Legion heroes though rather than alter the old ones.

Attachment 88464

That is definitely my Legion.

The lack of diversity was never an issue with me -- and there was some diversity in skin color. But my love for the Legion was more about character design, artwork, story -- and, I guess, optimism. The only reason, however, that the Legion wasn't more diverse back then was editorial. They were afraid of change. Dave Cockrum had created a couple of new black characters -- Trio and Power Boy -- who were to be part of another group -- but could have been potential Legionnaires. Unfortunately, he left DC before they could be introduced. Nightcrawler of the X-Men was also part of that group -- and I believe Dave intended for him to be a new Legionnaire eventually.

I do think it's important to show more diverse characters these days, but I also agree that adding new ones would be preferential to altering existing characters. I would prefer adding XS and Invisible Kid II to seeing Lighting Lad and Lightning Lass altered.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    That is definitely my Legion.

The lack of diversity was never an issue with me -- and there was some diversity in skin color. But my love for the Legion was more about character design, artwork, story -- and, I guess, optimism. The only reason, however, that the Legion wasn't more diverse back then was editorial. They were afraid of change. Dave Cockrum had created a couple of new black characters -- Trio and Power Boy -- who were to be part of another group -- but could have been potential Legionnaires. Unfortunately, he left DC before they could be introduced. Nightcrawler of the X-Men was also part of that group -- and I believe Dave intended for him to be a new Legionnaire eventually.

I do think it's important to show more diverse characters these days, but I also agree that adding new ones would be preferential to altering existing characters. I would prefer adding XS and Invisible Kid II to seeing Lighting Lad and Lightning Lass altered.
    The diversity doesn't bother me, I'm all for it. Im just apprehensive about Bendis writing 30+ characters. He's not good at balancing different personalities. Sure he's found his stride at DC, but knowing him, it won't last. Still don't like Dawny's new look though, it's borderline offensive.

Incredible Member

Holy crap, this is Bendis hitting his stride? I'm ready for him to be reigned in because his stories have not been good. I'm afraid what he'll do to the Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Holy crap, this is Bendis hitting his stride? I'm ready for him to be reigned in because his stories have not been good. I'm afraid what he'll do to the Legion.
    I've come to accept that DC has decided that nothing can top the Levitz run, so they just throw out these temporary radical novelty takes to keep the trademark visible.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The diversity doesn't bother me, I'm all for it. Im just apprehensive about Bendis writing 30+ characters. He's not good at balancing different personalities. Sure he's found his stride at DC, but knowing him, it won't last. Still don't like Dawny's new look though, it's borderline offensive.
    Dawnstar's original costume was a little more than borderline offensive -- it was both offensive and exploitative. The new one is better.

Incredible Member

How was it offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    Dawnstar's original costume was a little more than borderline offensive -- it was both offensive and exploitative. The new one is better.
    Her new outfit is just less offensive than her original one, but she still looks like an 80's stereotype of a native american.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    Disagreed. The new one is sooooo offensive. At least the original look didn't put her in freaking glowing warpaint!! Also, they've erased her beautiful wings. Like, what the hell are they thinking??

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    How was it offensive?
    Buckskin and braids barely makes any sense today, in the 31st century ? Insane

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I've come to accept that DC has decided that nothing can top the Levitz run, so they just throw out these temporary radical novelty takes to keep the trademark visible.
    Agree with this.

It still amazes me how much I disliked Levitz's last go-round with LSH. It just didn't have the magic of his 80s run.