Page 101 of 106 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1583

Isn't Thor supposed to have some scars on his face, under the beard? My guess is that we'll see him undegoing some sort of healing process in which his old scars are healed and his missing body parts are regenerated. (Which would make KingThor an alternate future that win't come to be in 616 universe).

I don't think he has scars, the scars were from an earlier time he was rocking the bearded look, I think the beard this time is just.... 'cus.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Well, the new solicits are out, and he's guest starring in Jane Foster's book with his new look on the cover.
    Still waiting to see on that regard, I did say 'or other form of body separation' and that could still be the case if this form is present in the world. But in any case, a new direction is still not undoing what came before, It's not like this is resetting him to how he was before Aaron's run started, the costume is way different from that too. And judging by the preview pages, it at least starts with him doing All-Father stuff, and with Huginn and Muninn apparently having large roles, that will likely continue. All the Aaron stuff still happened, it's not being swept under the rug with a new look, by all appearances will continue to influence events in some way, since he's still all-father.

Is he? Maybe in title, but he seems to have de facto abdicated, if not de jure.
    I don't see anything indicating abdication, I didn't see Frosti as him permanently placing the throne in his hands, just while he was away, it's just that it never got followed up on properly. He still has the Jotunheim symbol on his crown in the preview pages. He doesn't seem to like the job much, and takes trips to Midgard, but so does Thor, T'Challa does Avengers things in addition to his royal duties as well, so does Doom. I don't see why they can do things outside of their realm/country and that's fine, but when Loki does the same it's abdication.

BTW, I have updated the playlist finally, I had a lot of fun with this issue because it got me out of my usual stuff and I found some really cool stuff, I think i will have to look for more from Blues Saraceno in particular, it was hard to narrow it down to just one so this issue got several bluegrass, blues, country'ish stuff. (not really mainstream country, sorry, but this is for my personal enjoyment mostly, and I just really hate modern mainstream country. ok with some of the older stuff like Dolly Parton and stuff, but the modern stuff is blech) and just one metal song this time, for once, the Disciples of Verity song, cus duh. But an American friend of mine informs me that the Dead South video is not available outside of Canada, so it may be short that one for a lot of people, which is a shame, cus it is probably the best fit of all of them, if you have a VPN maybe set it to Canada for a bit to see that one. anyway, this issue is Snake Man thru Worthy, but I've also done some general additions (some from the playlist Kibblesmith made) and reshuffling to get things in line for Cates run, then it's kinda guesses, or leftovers from earlier in the list, so may change. the way I see it this playlist covers the very end of WotR (since it signaled new beginnings, it seemed to fit better here) and includes Loki, before shifting into Cates' run. Which will probably end up being more of the metal stuff again, judging by things he's said. Oh and still searching for something to represent the Children of Eternity, that's a tough one, digging into some really proggy stuff, but that's like, listening to a bunch of 15 minute songs, so it takes a while.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...l6bNYuxpaJ68vx
    Last edited by Raye; 11-21-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Well, the new solicits are out, and he's guest starring in Jane Foster's book with his new look on the cover.

Is he? Maybe in title, but he seems to have de facto abdicated, if not de jure.
    This link doesn't work for me.

I got an idea about Kibbles getting an Avengers book with Loki to wrap stuff up, but Marvel would cry at the prospect of publishing too much of those now, I guess.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

the DM that first said it was canceled did say he had something else lined up, so you never know. I kinda want him on the main avengers team, just cus prestige, but I would accept a spinoff team. (even tho he's done that before, sort of) But i still think a Magic Avengers would be a lot of fun, i want more of him and Strange snarking at each other.

Thank goodness, I don't want another Hastings or Whitley where Marvel lets a clear winner slink away from their clutches

Anyway, excited for whatever bonko-insanity King Thor's ending with. Thor & Loki: Into the Necro-Verse.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I'm sad we haven't seen more from Hastings. I liked Vote Loki, but Gwenpool was flat out brilliant.

And yeah, suspect we will see the birth of a new universe in next King Thor, with his granddaughters taking over the reins once it's all done, most likely.

edit - well this is kinda cryptic, but intriguing. kinda suggests it really may not have been cancelled just cus sales https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/stat...70136330383360
    Last edited by Raye; 11-21-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Here's an excerpt from Cates' interview regarding his Thor run. This part is on Loki

What can you tell us about your plans for the other Asgardians?

My run on Doctor Strange had Loki all over it. He was one of the first characters I wrote at Marvel and he's incredibly hard to write because every word that comes out of his mouth has to be able to be taken four different ways. Is he telling the truth? What games is he playing?

So I definitely wanted to do something with this new dynamic of these two brothers who have warred forever and are now both kings. What does that look like? You'll begin to see what that looks like in Issue 1.

So it seems at least in the beginning of his series, Loki is still considered King of Jotunheim and will be treated as such.

The full interview is here: https://www.cbr.com/donny-cates-marvel-thor-interview/
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

cool interview. But I find it interesting and maybe a bit telling that he seems to want to explore the same themes with Thor as Kibblesmith wanted to tell with Loki. That may have been a contributing factor to the cancellation, you can't really have a story with Thor being dissatisfied with his 'happily ever after' and unsure about what that means for his future, and thinking he's not cut out to be king, while at the same time telling Loki he should be happy with his lot and lecturing him about what it means to be a good king in Loki's book. The two depictions conflict on a fundamental level. Cates apparently wanted to explore the same themes, but with Thor as the dissatisfied one, and when it's a competition between Thor and Loki, Thor wins. I think you probably could do both stories at the same time, technically, but Thor's part in Loki's book would have to change a lot, and it would also depend on what Cates wanted to do with Loki interms of that dynamic, which may conflict with what Kibblesmith wanted to do. Still, I hope some of the stray threads from Loki's book can be picked up, even if he wants to do the uncertainty about the future themes with Thor rather than Loki.
    Last edited by Raye; 11-21-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    cool interview. But I find it interesting and maybe a bit telling that he seems to want to explore the same themes with Thor as Kibblesmith wanted to tell with Loki. That may have been a contributing factor to the cancellation, you can't really have a story with Thor being dissatisfied with his 'happily ever after' and unsure about what that means for his future, and thinking he's not cut out to be king, while at the same time telling Loki he should be happy with his lot and lecturing him about what it means to be a good king in Loki's book. The two depictions conflict on a fundamental level. Cates apparently wanted to explore the same themes, but with Thor as the dissatisfied one, and when it's a competition between Thor and Loki, Thor wins. I think you probably could do both stories at the same time, technically, but Thor's part in Loki's book would have to change a lot, and it would also depend on what Cates wanted to do with Loki interms of that dynamic, which may conflict with what Kibblesmith wanted to do. Still, I hope some of the stray threads from Loki's book can be picked up, even if he wants to do the uncertainty about the future themes with Thor rather than Loki.
    Raye, I caught that same connection. When Cates was talking about his overall theme of Thor, my thought was Kibblesmith's Loki story of Loki being King but not wanting that and wanting more, etc. You are correct, with similar story themes between them, Thor gets the go-ahead. Plus Cates is a growing name within Marvel, Kibblesmith was just getting started, so that give Cates more pull as well. Two things going against the Loki series. It's a shame they couldn't shift Loki's story instead of cancelling it, if this was one of the reasons. But yeah, I do hope they pick up on some of the storylines. Then again, it depends on what Cates has in mind for Loki within in series.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    Raye, I caught that same connection. When Cates was talking about his overall theme of Thor, my thought was Kibblesmith's Loki story of Loki being King but not wanting that and wanting more, etc. You are correct, with similar story themes between them, Thor gets the go-ahead. Plus Cates is a growing name within Marvel, Kibblesmith was just getting started, so that give Cates more pull as well. Two things going against the Loki series. It's a shame they couldn't shift Loki's story instead of cancelling it, if this was one of the reasons. But yeah, I do hope they pick up on some of the storylines. Then again, it depends on what Cates has in mind for Loki within in series.
    Really, if that's why Loki was cancelled... you'd think they'd have thought of that before they greenlit it. I very much doubt Cates has only come up with this concept within the past few months.

Plus, Loki #4 came in at 19k. That's not the most catastrophic of figures, but Superior Spider-Man was less than 1k behind (for the last issue, #12, yet rather than a #4) and that's cancelled too.

I don't think it's intentional, but this happened before with Cates, his Thanos Wins story, which I loved, btw, caused Starlin to quit in a huff because, by coincidence, he wanted to use the same themes/story beats in one of his Thanos stories (tho, I think it was pretty broad similarities, and Starlin did eventually come back) so that's weird that it involved Cates both times, but shows that Marvel has missed the fact that they had stories with the same characters that would conflict or be too similar before, even though you'd think the editors would have caught it sooner, considering how long Cates has apparently been penciled in as the new Thor writer. Surely he had to have submitted his outline soon enough for it to be caught before publication of Loki. In this case in particular, i can easily see how it happened that they both came up with similar plots, because it does actually make sense for both of them, but still.

But, for both Loki and Thor, i can totally see them being made king out of the blue, and it kind of makes sense for both of them to realize it wasn't actually what they wanted. In Thor's case, it kinda comes down to the same sort of themes and motivations as his movie counterpart went down, just in a different way, where he had all these expectations that he had always been led to believe he was destined to fulfill, and while the part that involved superheroing worked out alright, since it aligned with his own wants, for the most part. But king is kind of a whole different thing, and he may find that what's expected of him and what he actually wants for himself are different things in this case, and that he may want to live for himself rather than do what everyone expects him to do. In Loki's case, we already saw in Loki's series, where he doesn't like stasis, and being told 'this is your life now. forever.' is boring to him. he wants something to do with his life that's not repetitive and dull. Also, he's tried for so long to get power, but it was usually during his villainous period, where he was more about exploiting it to further his goals, get an army, or just so Thor doesn't have it, whatever. I don't think he ever really wanted it except as something to exploit, and now it's handed to him when he doesn't want to exploit it for anything, so he's getting it handed to him at a point in time when it's no longer something he actually wants. So yeah, I think it actually makes sense for both of them.

now, as for what Cates is going to do with Loki, I hope he doesn't just disregard Kibblesmith's run. Sure, it may have conflicted if it had continued, but 5 issues came out, they are canon, and I don't want to see them disregarded and have Loki be all happy about his position suddenly because he wanted to make Thor grumpy about being king. I could see it lining up with Loki's depiction of Thor being him in the first like, week or so, and it hadn't yet hit him how it would affect his life, and then later he becomes dissatisfied. And Loki could be all like 'i told you so, this sucks.' Loki may be the one person who is best able to understand what Thor is going through, because he's going through kind of the same thing, if Cates uses the events in Loki's book.
    Last edited by Raye; 11-21-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Pity if that was the reason for cancelling Loki. It would have been interesting seeing Thor and Loki in their shared dislike of their new responsibilities. If anything, it could have been something for them to agree and bond over. For once, they can understand each other.

To be fair, we might still get that, just in Thor's book rather than in Loki's.

But if that is the reason, I would have liked for them to give Kibblesmith the chance to rework the book rather than cancel it because it became redundant.