Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's a bizarre interpretation of the story...

Palpatine didn't give a damn about family, having children, or a legacy. He cared only about the Sith and the eradication of the Jedi. For him his own granddaughter outright undoing his entire legacy is a lasting humiliation.

I don't see how Rey Palpatine calling herself Rey Skywalker is so bad. I mean Leia Skywalker was raised as Leia Organa and still identified as Organa even after Luke told her the truth.

Is Leia calling herself Leia Organa and raising her son as Ben Solo an insult to the Skywalker name too?

Basically there were just three people with the Skywalker Name. Shmi Skywalker, Anakin Skywalker, Luke Skywalker. That's it. Luke didn't have children.

It's intended to be a bittersweet ending.

Like so many things in the ST, it resembles discussed and discarded ideas in the OT. Originally ROTJ was supposed to end with Han dying, Leia going to politics, and Luke walking off into the sunset to be some wandering Jedi because Lawrence Kasdan thought it should be a bittersweet ending. But Lucas felt that went against the tone of the OT and the spirit of the friendship of Han, Leia, and Luke.

TROS is a bittersweet ending. Rey defeats the dark side but she loses the man she loves. Despite everything, her adventures have created a sense of distance between her, Finn, and Poe. And in the finale, she walks off into the sunset to be some wandering Jedi.
    Bittersweet isn't enough of a word to describe it.
    Depressing, dreary and unfulfilling.
    I'm sorry, I know many will love it, but it has destroyed my own love for this franchise. All the hatred for The he Last Jedi should have been directed at this.
    Someone here pointed out that I'm disappointed because it didn't end the way I wanted. But just why do we pay to see movies. - so they fail in their expectations?
    I will never be able to accept the message this film has given me - that an abandoned child who wants a family must end up alone? That a broken abused man must die redeeming himself? That an iconic legacy family have to be wiped out?
    Nope. Sorry guys, but nothing anyone can say will ever make me accept what Disney have done - especially as the current comic book series is painting Ben Solo as 100% sympathetic. It only makes his journey's end all the more tragic.
    Disney haven't done this to put across a message, they've done it for financial reasons. They are more interested in theme parks and spin offs where they can milk Lucasfilm for all it's worth without being 'burdened' by the Skywalkers, who essentially ARE Star Wars.

Think I'll bow out of this thread for a while.
    Merry Christmas guys. Have fun.

Ultimate Member

I’m also still confused about the Rey as a Mary Sue character here.

Luke Skywalker as at Return of the Jedi pretty much had all the answers to everything (except the Rancor pit deception) and literally cut down everything (including Darth Vader) that stood against. He only got fried by the Emperor because he’d thrown away his light saber at that point. I’m not saying he could have defeated the Emperor but he literally left himself open as part of his plan to redeem Vader.

Rey on the other hand stumbled around A LOT in TROS and almost got herself and others killed a number of times. It’s like the film makers tried to go out of their way to show her struggling. I honestly don’t know what else she should do or not do because beyond a certain point, you don’t want to make your protagonist too weak.

Ultimate Member

The one thing Star Wars movies always do...is divide opinion. Consensus on them is normally formed years later.

The prequels were so hated and Lucas received so much flack that he sold Star Wars off entirely. Only for folks to come around and start appreciating the prequels (funny enough, I never understood the “violent” hatred of the prequels, I didn’t like the Phamtom Menace but a lot of the reaction to them seemed overboard). I’m pretty sure Lucas will feel pretty odd now.

Which is why I say film makers shouldn’t always dance to the audience tune. Sometimes, course correction is needed but at times, it’s best to stay the course a film maker/producers have plotted out. Marvel gets a some flack for their style but they’ve stuck to it and it’s made them one of the most successful film franchises of all time (regardless of how one feels about it). As much as I hate BvS, I still feel WB should have allowed Zack Snyder finish his JL. It couldn’t have been worse than the mess that Joss Whedon produced.

Disney/Lucasfilm shouldn’t have gone as far as they did to correct the issues with TLJ. Bringing back the Emperor wasn’t a good idea (why not just resurrect Snoke instead) although Rey being related to him isn’t as far fetched as people made becsuse some posters (myself included) had suggested this possibility before. All in all, I think TLJ put Abrams in a very tough spot because that movie had taken out some of the pillars of the Star Wars story.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I will never be able to accept the message this film has given me - that an abandoned child who wants a family must end up alone?
    What movie where you watching? Did not happen. In fact, the ending shows Rey celebrating with the people who are literally called her family earlier and BB-8 accompanies her to Tatooine for her burrying the sabers.

That a broken abused man must die redeeming himself?
    How would you have ended it, then?

That an iconic legacy family have to be wiped out?
    The last scene of the movie is literally showing that legacy living on.

Seriously, where are you getting these ideas. Fair enough if you didn't like the movie, but why complain about stuff that never happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Luke Skywalker as at Return of the Jedi pretty much had all the answers to everything (except the Rancor pit deception) and literally cut down everything (including Darth Vader) that stood against. He only got fried by the Emperor because he’d thrown away his light saber at that point. I’m not saying he could have defeated the Emperor but he literally left himself open as part of his plan to redeem Vader.

Rey on the other hand stumbled around A LOT in TROS and almost got herself and others killed a number of times. It’s like the film makers tried to go out of their way to show her struggling. I honestly don’t know what else she should do or not do because beyond a certain point, you don’t want to make your protagonist too weak.
    I'm guessing that saying "Mary Sue" sounds better then the real reason.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Rose did seem to come across in Last Jedi like a beard for Finn. I thought the treatment of her in ROS was probably a tad unfair, even though I am not a big fan of the character.

I don’t think it’s essential to make Finn and Poe an item mind. Bromances in fiction don’t especially seem to be understood by parts of fandom these days. TFA implies that Poe might have a bit of a crush on Finn but not the other way around.

I know the parallels to ROTJ were inevitable but did anyone else think that they were gonna reveal out the blue that Finn and Jannah were siblings?
    They did Rose dirty. If she was not that good of a character in last jedi, why can't they just improve on the character than cut her out.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Palpatine took a Skywalker (Anakin) and corrupted him into a Sith.

The Skywalkers (Luke and Leia) took a Palpatine (Rey) and showed her the path of the Jedi.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    This is true on paper but the story telling of how this came to fruition is terrible for Luke and Leia and Rey.

There is not one scene in rise of skywalker, that showed this type of redemption.

For Vader to have a faceless mask that gives him no expression or emotion in his face but still managed to channel the sadness he felt watching Luke die just shows how bad the story of redemption in Rise of Skywalker is.

People were laughing when Ben Solo died. thank the fan fic kiss or generic final battle that felt more like a superhero movie than a star wars film. When Vader died, people actually felt bad for him and sad for Luke.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Luke called himself Luke Skywalker even as a child, though. It's his identity. He didn't abandon it after Vader because he never questioned who he was. He honored the man, Anakin Skywalker, who was his father and whose name he had carried as long he had lived. It was never a question of calling himself anything else.

Rey was just Rey. Hell, even earlier in TROS she specifically notes that she has no family name. She's just Rey. The entire trilogy the focus of her character has been on having a family to belong to.

And she finally gets it. Her parents are, in every meaningful and lasting way, Luke and Leia. Assuming the Palpatine name because of her blood lineage doesn't make any real sense. The moment at the conclusion is her acknowledgement that she has finally found the family she's been searching for for so long. That Luke and Leia knew her blood history and chose to accept her anyway. To have that faith in her. She's not "reclaiming" anything, and she's not being afraid of who she is by not using Palpatine. Because she isn't Rey Palpatine and never has been, which is the entire message of the film.

She was effectively raised by Skywalkers. So much of who she has become is the product of that family. Luke, Leia, even Ben have made her who she is.
    I know what the writers wanted to achieve when Rey claimed the Skywalker name. And it's not bad on paper, even if the execution may leave a lot to be desired. It's just that I personally think ackowledging she's a Palpatine sends an even more powerful message, even if I'm aware it's the equivalent of calling oneself after Hitler.

I find it funny how Leia is the one who tells Rey not to be afraid of who she is, while in the now non-canon EU she was the one who had big trouble forgiving his father and accepting his redemption (hence she still saw herself as Organa).

Leia did eventually get over it in Legends-after all, she names her second son Anakin.

The novel "Tatooine Ghost", although released much later, has her coming to terms with her father after learning about his past on Tatooine (The novel is set between Courtship of Princess Leia and the Thrawn trilogy).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Re watching Phantom Menace and the first 10 mins is already better and feels more Star Warsy than this entire film...
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Re watching Phantom Menace and the first 10 mins is already better and feels more Star Warsy than this entire film...
    Respectfully, i couldn't disagree more. I would say the new trilogy was as nostalgia-focused as it was to lure back fans (like me) who were utterly turned off by the prequels. But to each his own.

To elaborate, i would say that while star wars shouldn't be "grim and gritty", the prequels moved to far in a cutesy direction, at the cost of having any tension or sense of danger whatsoever. Replacing stormtroopers who were intimidating and scary (especially in ANH) by "roger roger" goofy droids. Jar-Jar slapsticking his way to victory in battle. Ditto for kid Anakin successfully blowing up the ship. Replacing James Earl Jones voiced Darth Vader with a silent villain, then two barely there, throwaway villains in the sequel via Dooku and Grievous (wasting Christopher Lee in the process!). Deciding to forgo alien languages and instead make aliens into ethnic stereotypes. And forgoing practical effects for weightless CGI, although i can at least understand why they went in that direction.

But it seems like there is a generation gap when it comes to how one sees the prequels, and that's fine. Not gonna fault anyone who grew up liking the prequels, as someone who grew up watching the OT in theaters the prequels just felt too tonally different for me to really get into them.

TPM does have a pretty decent opening with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan showing off their skills with Williams using the main and force themes. Once they get to Naboo that's where things start to go downhill I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    And that's exactly why I think the message would have been more powerful if she had kept the Palpatine name: "look, this is who I am, this is literally where I come from, and I'm not afraid of it, as Leia told me".
    Exactly, plus it wouldn't have felt like she co-opted the Skywalker name without earning it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Rise of Skywalker canonizes one of the Sith Lords from the Knights of the Old Republic game
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/12...th-revan-canon

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

TPM has "Duel of the Fates" going for it. That's pretty much it.

Both the prequels and sequels are overall bad trilogies with wasted potential. The former at least has an overarching basic storyline that makes sense even if the execution is horribly botched. The latter has better acting and dialogue (at least in comparison) but doesn't seem to have been planned for ****, and this latest installment is the most corporate driven reactionary film I've ever seen, and actively shits on the OT in some ways. Pick your poison i guess.

Star Wars only has two truly great films and an overall pretty good third one. Everything else that is good to come out of it came from outside the film side.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Not really. Luke needed help to make the Jabba plan work, he comes close to falling multiple times, and Lucas wasn't dumb enough to have him beat Sheev singlehandedly. Rye, beats Kylo ever step up the way, her "struggles" aren't convincing at all, all of those old Jedi show up to literally tell her that she's the Ultimate Jedi/Space Messiah, that's how on the nose it was, then she kills Sheev by herself with ease, and ends the film inheriting everything that was once the Skywalker's.

Luke actually felt like a real character, Rey is Reddit bait.