Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Box office does not matter when you are discussing the quality or film making aspect of a movie. JJ Abrams best film is still star trek 2009. Star Wars TFA being the highest grossing movie of all time USA does not matter to JJ Abrams body of work.
    I agree, except that I actually enjoyed Super 8 more than Star Trek. Both Empire and Jedi made less money than A New Hope yet many people call one of them their favorite. I think that the only reason that ROTS made more than AOTC is that most believed that it was going to be the last Star Was movie ever but TPM made more than both of them and that was the Jar Jar Binks show. The top 10 highest grossing movies of all time in the USA (with the exception of Titanic and Avatar) have been released in the past 10 years but I don't believe that the greatest movies of all time have been made in the last 10 years.

(though if you Adjust for ticket price inflation only one movie (Titanic) in the top ten highest grossing movies in the USA was made after 1982)
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 01-09-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Hold on everyone, I said it may struggle to reach a billion but I went further to say if the American legs is strong , it should. it is still a big disappointment overall for box office.
    I don't know where Disney thought this film would finally end with at the box office, but there's no way anybody can seriously consider it a huge disappointment. A minor disappointment? Maybe, but only a very small one.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Hold on everyone, I said it may struggle to reach a billion but I went further to say if the American legs is strong , it should. it is still a big disappointment overall for box office.
    If you're reduced to arguing that something is a disappointment because it could've made more money then it did, and what it did turned a profit, you don't really have a credible position.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

I did enjoy ROS but do think the box office is disappointing for the finale of this trilogy. One movie columnist wrote that Christmas saved ROS from a box office disaster, which I actually agree. https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#d840553a2f4a

Who knows how low ROS would have finished if it opened in the summer. I think the final receipts will definitely have Disney execs ponder about the future of the franchise. The next one will probably finish below ROS and that's really not a good outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I did enjoy ROS but do think the box office is disappointing for the finale of this trilogy. One movie columnist wrote that Christmas saved ROS from a box office disaster, which I actually agree. https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#d840553a2f4a

Who knows how low ROS would have finished if it opened in the summer. I think the final receipts will definitely have Disney execs ponder about the future of the franchise. The next one will probably finish below ROS and that's really not a good outlook.
    Depends. I mean, we all know Mandalorean is getting a 2nd season, but if Disney announced they were continuing that story as a film instead, i think it would make a ton of money. aside from that, i think a fresh start with NO characters from previous movies would be the way to go. I think there is room for smaller films that don't involve the fate of the galaxy, set within the Star Wars universe (past or present). For more epic films, maybe jump forward in time a bit to get away from the events and characters in TROS. Honestly i think Kennedy should have a different role, put Favreau and/or Filoni in a position similar to Kevin Feige. Above all, disney shouldn't try and rush out more films, more important to get good movies than to have one come out every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post

Star Wars seems to always start off hot then cool down.

A new movie after a break will pop and slowly trickle down.

I think the biggest disservice to the ST was the Solo and Rogue One movies. Those could've been saved for TV or streaming.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Star Wars seems to always start off hot then cool down.
    Was this the case for the original and prequel movies, or only for the movies of the Disney era?

I also wonder about the effect of the originals and prequels being first released during a time when "I'll catch it later on streaming" wasn't a readily available option.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Was this the case for the original and prequel movies, or only for the movies of the Disney era?

I also wonder about the effect of the originals and prequels being first released during a time when "I'll catch it later on streaming" wasn't a readily available option.

The originals and prequels, did come out in a time where.. "I'll rent it when it comes out or catch it on TV when it comes out there."

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    The originals and prequels, did come out in a time where.. "I'll rent it when it comes out or catch it on TV when it comes out there."
    I suppose. ANH's first VHS release was in 1982 and it first aired on tv in 1984 so it was at least a five year wait to see it outside of a movie theatre... altho it could have aired on HBO or something before then, i guess. Obviously for the remaining films the wait was much shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I suppose. ANH's first VHS release was in 1982 and it first aired on tv in 1984 so it was at least a five year wait to see it outside of a movie theatre... altho it could have aired on HBO or something before then, i guess. Obviously for the remaining films the wait was much shorter.
    I remember there being a huge lag time between when the movies were available to rent and then to buy. The rental copies cost video stores a lot of money so I think they had such a huge time in-between so that the rental stores could make profit. I know that 1982 was when ANH went on sell but I forgot when it was available to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

All 3 trilogies had the first movie doing the best, then diminishing returns after each sequel.

(adjusted)
    IV: ~$775M
    V: ~$547M
    VI: ~$475M

I: ~$1B
    II: ~$656M
    III: ~$848M

VII: ~$2B
    VIII: ~$1.3B
    IX: currently at ~$949

RotS bucked the trend of the third being the worst earner but it had the promised birth of Vader and being the first PG-13 Star Wars going for it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Well, ROS is poised to be Disney's 7th billion dollar film of 2019.

How is that a disappointment?
    a star wars movie not in the top 3 highest grossing film of the year? top 5 sounds almost unthinkable.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    In the early years of home video, the majority of cinematic releases did not make it to home video, and if and when they did, it was anywhere from a full calendar year to several years after the end of the cinematic run. Even during the run of the STAR WARS prequels in the early 2000s, the video release usually did not occur until at least six months after the conclusion of the initial cinema run. Therefore, for those who were on the fence about whether or not they actually wanted to see the movie, there was a greater sense of urgency to actually see it at the theater because the wait to see it was not only longer, but also required the effort of going out, finding the video, and purchasing it. In today's streaming culture, there is far less of this sense of urgency to see a film that one isn't sure about because the wait for streaming release is much shorter (usually three months) and far more convenient. Certainly, the availability of streaming video has altered my habits in terms of whether I go to the cinema to see a film I'm not certain I want to see.

Last edited by Buried Alien; 01-10-2020 at 01:44 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

a star wars movie not in the top 3 highest grossing film of the year? top 5 sounds almost unthinkable.
    I get that you very much want Disney to have failed with the franchise, but it's time to let it go.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Well, ROS is poised to be Disney's 7th billion dollar film of 2019.

How is that a disappointment?
    Currently ROS Box Office is just slightly ahead of Rogue One (and it might still fall behind that), and significantly behind TLJ, I don't think that was what Disney wanted for their final movie in the Star Wars Saga.