View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
889. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.29%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.51%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.51%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.29%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

77 8.66%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.17%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.07%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.76%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

25 2.81%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.29%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.74%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.81%
Page 996 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 4968969469869929939949959969979989991000100610461096 ... LastLast
Results 14,926 to 14,940 of 16966
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/...98778449108994

So, apparently, Leah has plans for a story that touches on gender identity and what are the protocols for trans mutants who die and are brought back in a new body. This has A LOT of potential. And I hope we get a prominent trans character out of this instead of just background representation.
    And cancelled in 10.

People wont buy books with an agenda, even positive ones. We've seen that time and again. She does herself no favours trying to pitch the book as 'look at my progressive story idea' because sadly the majority who buy comics wont buy in to it with her even if it's done in an amazing way.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/...98778449108994

So, apparently, Leah has plans for a story that touches on gender identity and what are the protocols for trans mutants who die and are brought back in a new body. This has A LOT of potential. And I hope we get a prominent trans character out of this instead of just background representation.
    Colour me intrigued. I’m here for it.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    And cancelled in 10.

People wont buy books with an agenda, even positive ones. We've seen that time and again. She does herself no favours trying to pitch the book as 'look at my progressive story idea' because sadly the majority who buy comics wont buy in to it with her even if it's done in an amazing way.
    Jeez, calm down. It's not even like we had a trans character on the team, this is just a subplot that will happen.

If this is gonna get cancelled early it would most likely be cause of the artist and the fact that, while they're beloved by CBR boards and twitter, none of those characters are A-Listers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Jeez, calm down. It's not even like we had a trans character on the team, this is just a subplot that will happen.

If this is gonna get cancelled early it would most likely be cause of the artist and the fact that, while they're beloved by CBR boards and twitter, none of those characters are A-Listers.
    Daken is probably the most high profile, he's had a couple of solos

And cancelled in 10.

That argument hardly works when every X-Men book s built on an agenda: "accept minorities, or these are the struggles they can face". That's literally the premise of the entire franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    That argument hardly works when every X-Men book s built on an agenda: "accept minorities, or these are the struggles they can face". That's literally the premise of the entire franchise.
    To be fair, there seems to be quite a few people that just don't realize that. Or actively refuse to accept it and rant against it.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    To be fair, there seems to be quite a few people that just don't realize that. Or actively refuse to accept it and rant against it.
    I just find it to be a silly argument. At the end of the day, not every Marvel comic carries the same kinda agenda. However, X-Men always has. It's based, at its core, on an agenda. An agenda that's been really well received. Putting characters that aren't just cis-white straight male (such as Cyclops and Wolverine) at the forefront doesn't make it any more of an agenda. That element was always there. This is just different.

True, none of these characters are the "A List". However, each have their fans. Polaris is really popular with fans, as is Daken. Northstar carries his own fans because of the role he fills in the LGBTQ+ community. Rachel has plenty of fans (I'm not personally one of them, but she would never turn me off a book). Prodigy was one of the more prominenty NXAX characters, even being one of the few that survived in other teen titles. Even Eye-Boy has fans.

A writer will always make the most of the cast if they get to choose them. Any writer that doesn't means that they didn't try hard enough. I stand by my original comment: any character can be made interesting.

The team is mish-mash to me but I'm here for the message. If they're gonna work with the X-Men, push that agenda that differences don't make someone lesser. Our trans brothers and sisters don't have representation as much as they should, we should support this (simple subplot or not) because that might give them a chance to have a character they can look at and see themselves. Most of the rest of us have one: they currently get thrown into Limbo (Sera) if they even exist.

I just find it to be a silly argument. At the end of the day, not every Marvel comic carries the same kinda agenda. However, X-Men always has. It's based, at its core, on an agenda. An agenda that's been really well received. Putting characters that aren't just cis-white straight male (such as Cyclops and Wolverine) at the forefront doesn't make it any more of an agenda. That element was always there. This is just different.

True, none of these characters are the "A List". However, each have their fans. Polaris is really popular with fans, as is Daken. Northstar carries his own fans because of the role he fills in the LGBTQ+ community. Rachel has plenty of fans (I'm not personally one of them, but she would never turn me off a book). Prodigy was one of the more prominenty NXAX characters, even being one of the few that survived in other teen titles. Even Eye-Boy has fans.

A writer will always make the most of the cast if they get to choose them. Any writer that doesn't means that they didn't try hard enough. I stand by my original comment: any character can be made interesting.

The team is mish-mash to me but I'm here for the message. If they're gonna work with the X-Men, push that agenda that differences don't make someone lesser. Our trans brothers and sisters don't have representation as much as they should, we should support this (simple subplot or not) because that might give them a chance to have a character they can look at and see themselves. Most of the rest of us have one: they currently get thrown into Limbo (Sera) if they even exist.
    Oh I don't disagree at all. Its just what I've seen some people among the X-fandom saying. That they refuse to see or reject the in-built agenda.

I've encountered an astounding number of professed fans of the X-Men who espouse racist or homophobic views or are part of certain online movements with those views. It's the Gundam meme; just replace "War is bad" and "Wow, cool robot!" with "Discrimination is bad" and "Wow, cool superpowers!"

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Oh I don't disagree at all. Its just what I've seen some people among the X-fandom saying. That they refuse to see or reject the in-built agenda.
    Agreed. It only takes looking at the text to see their arguments are incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I've encountered an astounding number of professed fans of the X-Men who espouse racist or homophobic views or are part of certain online movements with those views. It's the Gundam meme; just replace "War is bad" and "Wow, cool robot!" with "Discrimination is bad" and "Wow, cool superpowers!"

This sums up the dichotomy of being a Gundam fan so well .

And cancelled in 10.

Do you know what an agenda is? Every piece of content to ever exist has an agenda.

Kyle is only dull because he's never been utilised. Any character can be interesting, boring characters are a reflection of a writer who shouldn't be using them.
    Pretty much. Get three writers in a row who think going "damsel in distress" with half of a gay couple is progressive and it gives you an idea of how much thought they've actually put into what each member of their cast brings to the table. But I've got more faith in Williams.

Anyway, couldn't be happier with the creative team, and there's some intriguing stuff in the works for the cast it sounds like. Definitely on board for this.

Astonishing Member

Wow, a book that may actually trump MARAUDERS for gayest X-Men title! With Northstar, Daken and Prodigy we've got three confirmed LGBT characters in the main cast, plus Kyle as a supporting player and Rachel is implied/'word of god' by Claremont.

Actually, the whole "Dawn of X" relaunch has been pretty darn inclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Pretty much. Get three writers in a row who think going "damsel in distress" with half of a gay couple is progressive and it gives you an idea of how much thought they've actually put into what each member of their cast brings to the table. But I've got more faith in Williams.
    To be fair, Marjorie Liu was trying to make Kyle a more involved part of the book during her run, with storylines around the wedding and then citizenship, etc. If her run had gone longer, Kyle might have made a bit more of an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    To be fair, Marjorie Liu was trying to make Kyle a more involved part of the book during her run, with storylines around the wedding and then citizenship, etc. If her run had gone longer, Kyle might have made a bit more of an impact.
    I get that. And, for the most part, I really enjoyed Liu's run. But her idea of getting Kyle more involved lead with doing what Van Lente and Pak had done twice before in one series - put Kyle in peril to motivate Northstar - after which he and Northstar got a lot less page time, and then during her run, Gage (another writer who's work I generally like) gave us a slightly different riff on the same song. And I can't help but think, had this been a case of a baseline human female love interest, there would have been more attention paid to how often she got tied to the railroad tracks. But since it was two dudes in love, there was a lot less thought put into why it might be a generally bad take.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 01-13-2020 at 11:06 PM.