Page 8 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Truly stunning, the equal of anything that Hot Toys or Bandai could create. In terms of a pure aesthetic at least, I can only assume this sculpture doesn't have much in the way of articulation. I wonder how much it cost to get commissioned?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

What an amazing piece! Thanks for posting this Reviresco! It looks like at least the right hand is different in the middle image. That one has a closed fist and the other two pieces don't. Going through all the photos, there are a lot of different features, like a removable mask so that you can see his face. I also saw how a commenter pointed out how the artists embedded the letter V in many places on the armor. There is an overhead shot of what looks like a grimoire or something. I can't make out the inscription on it. The detail is just mind-blowing.

He really put a lot of thought into this...truly a masterpiece in this field!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-17-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Truly stunning, the equal of anything that Hot Toys or Bandai could create. In terms of a pure aesthetic at least, I can only assume this sculpture doesn't have much in the way of articulation. I wonder how much it cost to get commissioned?

Not really articulation, since it is a statue ... resin, I think. But there's an unboxing video that shows this thing is almost like a puzzle. The throne especially comes in pieces.

Here's another video, but I haven't had a chance to watch it.

https://youtu.be/IYw199O10e8

I'm not sure, but the ones on eBay were 3000 to 2000 USD. There was one for 1000 but it was from China and I think a bootleg recast, and poorer quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    What an amazing piece! Thanks for posting this Reviresco! It looks like at least the right hand is different in the middle image. That one has a closed fist and the other two pieces don't. Going through all the photos, there are a lot of different features, like a removable mask so that you can see his face. I also saw how a commenter pointed out how the artists embedded the letter V in many places on the armor. There is an overhead shot of what looks like a grimoire or something. I can't make out the inscription on it. The detail is just mind-blowing.

He really put a lot of thought into this...truly a masterpiece in this field!
    Happy to share this awesomeness. I love the details and the different faces! A nice touch. And the book reminded me of that page you posted recently with the vulture.

More information from this forum

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/fo...d.php?t=193965

... the piece is apparently by a group / artists called Royal Custom Brotherhood and is 1/4 size. O_O
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Thanks for the links. I was just watching that video with the two British (I think) guys reviewing it. The paint job really brings it out, in spite of the few flaws they pointed out. I like that it is a mixed media piece, with some of it being fabric and that some pieces are magnetized and can be taken on and off. Too rich for my blood though!

And update on my quest for a Funko Fantastic Four Mini Mystery Doctor Doom. I went to the BoxLunch store in the mall yesterday and was disappointed to find out they had sold out their shipment and everything was gone in less than a week! But the store did order them for me with the sale price of buy 2 get 1 free. I will get notified when they arrive and I am saving on shipping my having a store pick up. Don't know how long it will take though.

Then I went to the mall's GameStop store and I think I may have been beaten to the punch there too! They had a section of Marvel Legends and one rack only a Human Torch was left but two of the pegs were marked for Fantastic Four Marvel Legends. So it looks like those got snapped up too! The quest for Marvel Legends Doom goes on!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-17-2020 at 11:52 AM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    It's a very nice piece, I'm pretty sure I've seen it before but thanks for sharing again. I don't think I want it though, for a couple reasons. One, it's not officially licensed piece from Marvel. Not that I don't have some non Marvel pieces, but I've decided I'm not spending big bucks on something that was essentially made by an unknown. It's not about resale value because I don't buy them to sell them, it's more of a matter of quality control and what protection does the buyer have if it turns out to be crap when you get it (I've already been burned by Sideshow, so even licensed pieces can be risky). I think it's dismissive calling it a "fan art" piece, and certainly the creator is very skilled. But weighing available funds (and space) I'm being more critical.

Second, I think it's too busy overall, and as art I think the artist is trying too hard here. I appreciate the skill and attention to detail, but the overall impact is overdone. Just because you can cram every little bit of symbolism into your piece, doesn't mean you should. I think some of the clutter takes away from the central character. Unlike the two english blokes who reviewed it on youtube, one of them was saying how he wanted paint on some of the sculptural details on the throne to bring them out, I think that would make it worse. I don't really like the textural changes on the armor either. Again, it's a little too busy.

And there are other similar works on ebay now that I'm going to pass on as well.
    ds
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    It's a very nice piece, I'm pretty sure I've seen it before but thanks for sharing again. I don't think I want it though, for a couple reasons. One, it's not officially licensed piece from Marvel. Not that I don't have some non Marvel pieces, but I've decided I'm not spending big bucks on something that was essentially made by an unknown. It's not about resale value because I don't buy them to sell them, it's more of a matter of quality control and what protection does the buyer have if it turns out to be crap when you get it (I've already been burned by Sideshow, so even licensed pieces can be risky). I think it's dismissive calling it a "fan art" piece, and certainly the creator is very skilled. But weighing available funds (and space) I'm being more critical.

Second, I think it's too busy overall, and as art I think the artist is trying too hard here. I appreciate the skill and attention to detail, but the overall impact is overdone. Just because you can cram every little bit of symbolism into your piece, doesn't mean you should. I think some of the clutter takes away from the central character. Unlike the two english blokes who reviewed it on youtube, one of them was saying how he wanted paint on some of the sculptural details on the throne to bring them out, I think that would make it worse. I don't really like the textural changes on the armor either. Again, it's a little too busy.

And there are other similar works on ebay now that I'm going to pass on as well.
    ds
    Do you think sometimes they are getting too ambitious with these sculpts. I know it sound weird but to produce these in a quantity that would make them profitable must be a problem... quality control as you say. I still think its a very attrractive piece though and I even like it better without the paint.

On another note, Doctor Doom #4 is also getting a second printing on February 19th. No cover available yet but looks like it will be done by Larocca. I imagine they just might use an image from the comic itself, like the did with that awesome Hell armor for issue #3. If it were me I would use the full page of Doom confronting M.O.D.O.K.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Another 2nd printing is great news! I'm hoping for a long Doom solo run! That sculpture is nice but I would rather the throne be simpler if I was to get something like that.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Yeah I guess the throne is a little busy but I appreciate the symbolism that is attached to it, the figures representing Mistress Death (that was a lucky stroke for them) the grimoire, the two Mephistos, etc.

The second printing thing is an interesting situation. I am assuming this is because the comic book shops are finding that they are underestimating interest in the title and enough of their customers are requesting more copies. I also assume that Marvel wouldn't do this for just 10 or 20. There must be a number at which they find it worth the effort to make another print run with a new variant cover. This is certainly encouraging and I hope it leads to a long run too! I really love Cantwell's choice of guest characters he is using too, some expected and some not. I hope we see more of Blue Marvel because I've not really read much about him and of course Namor had to show up!

Things to do on a cold January day......

Yesterday I ran a few errands in the bitter cold and checked out another GameStop store. They didn't have any Marvel Legends figures and the young lady at the register said they only got their shipment of Pre-Orders. Why didn't I think of that??? But I did notice that they had a small section of the Funko Fantastic Four Mystery Minis. The one thing I did notice is the box says on it that they are GameStop exclusives. Hmmmm... the other boxes I got from Box Lunch didn't have that.

While in the Wal-Mart I checked out the toy section and Eureka! They had Marvel Legends Fantastic Four set, at least part of one. Only Ben and Reed were there along with..... Doctor Doom!

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-19-2020 at 01:09 PM.

BANNED

So there's a discussion here about ideas for a Marvel video game.

I made a pitch for a Doctor Doom video game.

First one, is Doom's origin as a revolutionary in Latveria. It's an open world game set in latveria and you get to conquer it. You can do Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor style siege campaigns since the entire mechanic of targeting, manipulating enemies and factions and so on is totally suited to Doom's MO.

The second one is Doom 2099, where Doom travels to the future dystopia and becomes a hero, and your campaign is using the Doombots and all of his gadgets to...take over USA.

With Doom you can do a Dishonored style game, I mean the guy on the box-cover looks like Victor's mask already. And the game mixes and matches magic and technology. You can use all of Doom's powers and abilities and play your way, either stealthily and non-lethally or lethally.

Attachment 91868

What do you guys think?

So the first mystery mini of the day is............................

Another Ben Grimm! Oh well, there goes the theory about any "exclusive" figure at GameStop since this is my third one of the Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    So there's a discussion here about ideas for a Marvel video game.

I made a pitch for a Doctor Doom video game.

First one, is Doom's origin as a revolutionary in Latveria. It's an open world game set in latveria and you get to conquer it. You can do Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor style siege campaigns since the entire mechanic of targeting, manipulating enemies and factions and so on is totally suited to Doom's MO.

The second one is Doom 2099, where Doom travels to the future dystopia and becomes a hero, and your campaign is using the Doombots and all of his gadgets to...take over USA.

With Doom you can do a Dishonored style game, I mean the guy on the box-cover looks like Victor's mask already. And the game mixes and matches magic and technology. You can use all of Doom's powers and abilities and play your way, either stealthily and non-lethally or lethally.

Attachment 91868

What do you guys think?
    I did put a brief reply on the thread itself. I am sure that there a lot of fans that would be interested in that. I really don't play games much these past few years. I really liked Marvel Ultimate Alliance, which you could load on your PC and wasn't dependent any game platform. I did buy a PS3 but didn't use it much. I hate messing around with all the connections, etc so I don't have much patience with that!

So what would be the preferred platform for this

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Do you think sometimes they are getting too ambitious with these sculpts. I know it sound weird but to produce these in a quantity that would make them profitable must be a problem... quality control as you say. I still think its a very attractive piece though and I even like it better without the paint.

On another note, Doctor Doom #4 is also getting a second printing on February 19th. No cover available yet but looks like it will be done by Larocca. I imagine they just might use an image from the comic itself, like the did with that awesome Hell armor for issue #3. If it were me I would use the full page of Doom confronting M.O.D.O.K.
    I don't know how much quality control plays into how whoever sculpts them. I think they do have to eventually think about the logistics of production. For instance apparently on this sculpt a lot of the little pieces of the throne are added on - assembled by the user. That makes it easier for the manufacturer. Think about a very detailed throne piece with a lot of small bits sticking out. If one of those bits gets damaged in the mold, then the whole throne is toast. But if they do a simpler mold and the manufacturer then adds the little pieces separately, they have an easier time and less waste to worry about, better profits. I don't see much information on limits of production runs. Low production runs are good for the collector because it adds value later on. But unlimited production runs are good for the manufacturer. Realistically, these don't cost $2k to make, the market has paid that much because the collector is gambling that they will become rare enough to drive up the value. To me, this piece is worth about $500 - because if there are thousands of them made they won't hold onto that high value price forever. This is what happened to the Bowen Doom, the original price was really high, but then they kept cranking out additional "versions".

Also, I see a lot of similarities in this piece with other pieces too. For instance, the Sideshow deluxe Doom on the throne had both demons and death type imagery on it ...

Dr Doom Sideshow qtr scale Throne.jpg

I do think that the artists are trying to do something unique that will excite the collector. I mean, there's a bunch of Doom sitting on the throne type of figures out there, so making something that is impressive has to be hard. I love the Sideshow Deluxe figure for it's size and detail, but my favorite will probably always be the Art Asylum model.
    Art Asylum Doom.jpg

And good news about another second printing for Doctor Doom#4! I think that maybe the comic shops were underestimating demand for this book. I know it's sold out at my LCS. Hopefully the book will continue to shine and sales will be robust. I'm really enjoying it so far.

On a side note, I just went over some of my FF/Fantastic Four from late 2013 to 2014, to catalog and put away as they'd been in a dusty pile in a corner of the den. They were really horrible depictions of Doctor Doom, no thanks to Fraction and Allred. I mean Ant Man, defeating Doom? Doom allying with Kid Immortus and Annihilus? I shudder to think of the kids who read these and now think that is who Doom is. Thank Lee for Hickman is all I can say.
    ds
    Last edited by DoomScribe; 01-19-2020 at 01:58 PM.
    "Because ... I am Doom

Thanks for the insights on the various Doom statues and sculpts. I don't recall seeing the Art Asylum one. That is a great piece. You know what I wish they would do is maybe come up with some high end figures that are made much like the Hasbro Marvel Legends are but higher quality and larger sizes. I guess I am looking for a happy medium between an action figure and a high end statue. The Marvel Gallery stuff is something along those lines but I don't think they've had a Doom one yet. I saw the one for Medusa and I should have bought that when I saw it at the LCS. I was going to get it for a niece but then of course, when I went back it was gone. They are very affordable but I have yet to see one out of the box, in person. The trouble with some of Marvel's products lately are they mostly concentrate of characters who have appeared in the movies. But this FF stuff with Funko and the Marvel Legends is a sign that is (hopefully) no longer true. It was kind of surprising that Sideshow got that Doom statue out before Perlmutter was aware of it.

Oh, yeah. Thank Lee that bad era of Doom appearances is behind us....but not quite. I still am ticked off with Slott's Doom arc in his Fantastic Four.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-19-2020 at 02:48 PM.

The Art Asylum Doom was pretty affordable, back in the day, as I recall. The Bowen Doom's weren't that expensive either. Things went all apesh-t when Sideshow started to put out these enormous pieces with a run of 500 or less. The deluxe Doom on the throne was a run of 1000 for the regular version, and 500 for the version with the chalice and stand. The regular version is now for sale on Amazon for $5000. Originally I think the price was around $1000 ... ? Hard to find data on that now. I kick myself now for not getting the deluxe with Chalice when I saw it at SDCC, but I was able to get the other on ebay for not too much over list price shortly thereafter.

The latest Premium version of Dr Doom smaller than the legendary scale (standing) was sold for around $400, which is pretty reasonable. I don't know the run numbers off hand.

Overall, the cost for producing these polystyrene statues isn't so much that they couldn't mass produce (most manufactured in Asia) some desk sized models for around $100 to $300 for the fans. As it stands now, all of my action figures are unboxed and in a display right along with the statues.
    "Because ... I am Doom