Page 15 of 111 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    and why did Bendis bother to introduce that woman with the eye patch?

^lame!
    I was bothered by that too, since her character and backstory with Tony was very similar to Sunset Bain's backstory with Tony. We already had a "first love of Tony's when he was a teen who used him and who grew up to be a crime boss". What need was there to introduce a new one? Sunset was already there.

I guess the silver lining to it is that he didn't end up messing up Sunset in any way since he left her alone. When Bendis is on his game he can do some really good work -- but when he's off, he can really screw up a character's voice, personality, etc.

i'm still really unclear as to why Amanda Armstrong was recruited by SHIELD in the first place. there's nothing in her background justifying it. i would imagine that a lot of their recruits are through submitted applications. as detailed in the irredeemable ant-man series, a lot of SHIELD agents start out doing menial work like accounting, security, or surveillance. they then have to test in to higher ranking positions. i can also see them recruiting for active law enforcement and/or military. but a pop rock star?? she won't stick out in a crowd, i'm sure. :eye roll:
    Her being a pop star was part of the appeal, as I recall. It gave her a legitimate excuse to do all sorts of world travelling, and as a celebrity she would potentially have access to other "important people", etc. Basically a 'hide in plain sight' situation, exploiting her celebrity status.
    Last edited by Dermie; 01-24-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Her being a pop star was part of the appeal, as I recall. It gave her a legitimate excuse to do all sorts of world travelling, and as a celebrity she would potentially have access to other "important people", etc. Basically a 'hide in plain sight' situation, exploiting her celebrity status.
    sure. and maybe this is the way that SHIELD used to do things. but i haven't seen any of that in the present day Marvel Universe. they don't need to headhunt celebrities. it seems like the training of Amanda would take more time and resources than simply having an agent use an assumed identity (like Natasha). SHIELD agents are expected to travel. they have access to important people because they work for an intelligence organization. Fury used to be in a position to just walk into the White House. it's not a big deal. but i found it to be a little overly convenient. :shrugs:

I think with the storyline's current questions/concerns regarding Tony Stark's identity as either a living person or an A.I., his biological parents may end up being important in some way to re-establishing Tony's identity as a "real" person.

Also the subject of "identity" is something of a theme running through the whole run thus far, so dealing with the biological parents as well as the recently restored versions of his adoptive parents, fits with that theme and may be significant in terms of resolving some of these issues for Tony.

I can understand why fans who dislike the whole adoption reveal would be disappointed to be dealing with them again -- but I think with Tony's identity crisis subplot that has been running through the series lately, it was inevitable that they'd have to be dealt with again.
    But that’s just the thing, if that’s the purpose of bringing then in, they’re seriously some of the worst options to use. These are people who have had nothing to do with Tony’s life throughout the entire thing. It was Howard and Maria who raised him and shaped him into the man that he is today, and it was his friends who have stood by him through high and low. As far as what makes him a real person, these people are much more important than something as shallow as that his birth parents being important just because they’re blood. As far as everything that actually matters, his birth parents are nobody.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    But that’s just the thing, if that’s the purpose of bringing then in, they’re seriously some of the worst options to use. These are people who have had nothing to do with Tony’s life throughout the entire thing. It was Howard and Maria who raised him and shaped him into the man that he is today, and it was his friends who have stood by him through high and low. As far as what makes him a real person, these people are much more important than something as shallow as that his birth parents being important just because they’re blood. As far as everything that actually matters, his birth parents are nobody.
    That's why BOTH sets of parents are involved in the story though - for both aspects of his identity. His birth parents cannot be dismissed because they didn't raise him. Nature vs nurture isn't an either/or proposition -- both environment and genetics play an important role in how an individual develops. There are plenty of cases of people who have never met their birth parents, but wind up with some of the same mannerisms, personality traits, etc, because of aspects of their identity that were passed down through their genes.

That's why BOTH sets of parents are involved in the story though - for both aspects of his identity. His birth parents cannot be dismissed because they didn't raise him. Nature vs nurture isn't an either/or proposition -- both environment and genetics play an important role in how an individual develops. There are plenty of cases of people who have never met their birth parents, but wind up with some of the same mannerisms, personality traits, etc, because of aspects of their identity that were passed down through their genes.
    Funny how Tony’s mannerisms and genetics are so identical to Höward. He also admitted that in universe and said that all good in him came from Maria. This retcon makes no sense whatsoever.
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Funny how Tony’s mannerisms and genetics are so identical to Höward. He also admitted that in universe and said that all good in him came from Maria. This retcon makes no sense whatsoever.
    It’s baffling that this story idea made it past editors. Iron Man is/was an A-list character. There was great emphasis on his connection to Howard in the cinematic universe, even. Why would they go in the complete opposite direction? It didn’t make Tony or his original parents more interesting. I can’t think of any highlights of Amanda and Tony’s new relationship. She was just hanging around in the background. Doesn’t make any sense now that he’s an adult. Then again, it made as much sense as Mary Jane more or less replacing Pepper. Bendis must have had some serious pull.

Also...why does Morgan look so much like Tony?

It’s baffling that this story idea made it past editors. Iron Man is/was an A-list character. There was great emphasis on his connection to Howard in the cinematic universe, even. Why would they go in the complete opposite direction? It didn’t make Tony or his original parents more interesting. I can’t think of any highlights of Amanda and Tony’s new relationship. She was just hanging around in the background. Doesn’t make any sense now that he’s an adult. Then again, it made as much sense as Mary Jane more or less replacing Pepper. Bendis must have had some serious pull.

Fo‘ realz. Amanda left her son just because motherboard stated some facts. Clearly she ain’t no mother, I mean if my birthmom showed up and wanted to build relations with me, I won’t entertain her or even speak to her. She made her decision giving me away whether it was with good intent or not.

Wasn’t Arno Morgan’s son in the original 2020 event? The whole family look alike and yet Tony is adopted.

I remember when Gillen said he planned for the storyline as a possible "Iron Man 4" or something...and they will probably never use it .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember when Gillen said he planned for the storyline as a possible "Iron Man 4" or something...and they will probably never use it .
    Damnnn was he serious?

In agreement here. Don’t know why this idea was even entertained. Amanda has been pretty much wallpaper in Iron Man’s books. I won’t even start with his so called father.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Damnnn was he serious?
    I really really hope not. That would have been a frigging catastrophe.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

classic case of "if it isn't broken, don't fix it." in 4 decades of life i never questioned Tony's parentage or thought that there was a potential story there with him being illegitimate. it's one of the least interesting stories that you could tell while delving into his childhood. how about the alcoholism and Tony "becoming" Howard? i think i might have been more ok with this if the reveal had been that Maria wasn't his biological mother. he would have, at least, kept the connection to Howard and the Stark name. but it's just goofy to replace both parents; especially with two equally generic new characters. Anthony Armstrong < Tony Stark
    Very much in agreement here. I could understand the adoption angle being Howard was still Tony's biological father and he had Tony with Amanda. It could be looked at that that's why he was so hard on Tony because he had him with another woman that wan't Maria and why Maria loved Tony so much because he was a gift to her and knew that she would have to love him twice as much. Again now Howard is not Tony's biological father, but he just happens to adopt a son who looks exactly like him and has the same talent of inventing weapons?! Come on. It should still be Howard and Maria as he biological parents. There was nothing wrong with it. As you stated well. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 01-27-2020 at 01:01 AM.

It's being pushed back. Check out the synopsis for Avengers #31. It's about time!
    https://www.newsarama.com/48776-aven...week-each.html

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    It's being pushed back. Check out the synopsis for Avengers #31. It's about time!
    https://www.newsarama.com/48776-aven...week-each.html
    I'm confused about somethin. Is the Tony that is in the past the same we're seeing in Tony Stark: Iron Man / Iron Man 2020 ? It makes a big difference in my opinion. We could also consider that Avengers is happening after Dan Slott's Iron Man, but for that we would need to wait until the ending, to see if we get some kind of real Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Very much in agreement here. I could understand the adoption angle being Howard was still Tony's biological father and he had Tony with Amanda. It could be looked at that that's why he was so hard on Tony because he had him with another woman that wan't Maria and why Maria loved Tony so much because he was a gift to her and knew that she would have to love him twice as much. Again now Howard is not Tony's biological father, but he just happens to adopt a son who looks exactly like him and has the same talent of inventing weapons?! Come on. It should still be Howard and Maria as he biological parents. There was nothing wrong with it. As you stated well. If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.
    Pretty much. I rather this whole retcon is retconned back to Howard and Maria being his bio parents. Figure **** out with Arno, Make him Morgan son like in the original event. If Marvel wants to explore Tony’s parent. We got the Carbonell, we know nothing of Maria’s family. Writers could explore that. No one asked for Amanda and whoever the father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Guthwulf View Post
    I'm confused about somethin. Is the Tony that is in the past the same we're seeing in Tony Stark: Iron Man / Iron Man 2020 ? It makes a big difference in my opinion. We could also consider that Avengers is happening after Dan Slott's Iron Man, but for that we would need to wait until the ending, to see if we get some kind of real Tony
    The continuity is fucked. I haven’t been following the avengers but seems like a mess when it comes to continuity.