Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Peeps, I'd much rather discuss the movie we got than the box office or whatever mistakes WB has done with marketing the movie or whatever movie WB didn't happen to make.

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that this movie took a female gaze to a male villain, but I listened to the podcast Panel to Panel from On Comics Ground, and they had an even greater observation: Roman and Zsasz are the id and ego of toxic masculinity. I think the thing that Roman has no redeeming qualities at all is part of the way he is set up here, because there are no redeeming qualities to toxic masculinity when viewed from the female gaze: it's fundamentally empty.

And it's even made into text. Jurnee Smollett-Bell shows an outstanding voice in singing "It's a Man's World" (seriously, take a listen at your favourite streaming service), but the soundtrack version is different from the movie version. The soundtrack version omits the outro, but the movie includes pieces of it while focusing on Roman:

Lost in the wilderness
    He's lost in the bitterness
    He's lost in in the loneliness
    He's lost
    And I think that's a key element of the movie. Roman is lost in part because he cannot see women as other than props or interchangable things that should give him adulation. And Jurnee Smollett-Bell takes that song and Black Canary's pent-up aggression and throws it as an accusation into his face, without him noticing.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    In between Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman actually sounds pretty good to me.

However, I don't think they're going after the Wonder Woman crowd who got a film they could take seriously.

It seems BoP-HQ fits more in line with the Deadpool and Venom audiences who just want a fun romp that pushes the boundaries of good taste and violence in film, and it seems they're getting it.

With over 200 critics reviews in, BoP-HQ is Certified Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes with a critics' RT score of 83% and an audience RT score of 87%.

This is a good weekend for DC. They'll have the number 1 film in the world AND they'll get the first Best Actor Oscar for a CBM.

I liked Captain Marvel a lot more than Wonder Woman (Which I found to be an average film).......Birds of Prey was far worse than both. Honestly, as disjointed of a film Suicide Squad was, I actually thought Suicide Squad was better.

As for the Venom/Deadpool comparisons, I like the Deadpool films but didn't care for Venom. I thought Venom was better than BoP.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Didn't Aquaman make 1 billion? No way is he more popular than Harley Quinn.
    Its called story telling, and acting.

Believe it or not, some movie goers can appreciate that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    Felt kinda bad for Gail Simone because her name showed up in the block of names as opposed to getting her own 'paragraph' line like Paul Dini and Bruce Timm did.
    She might be the writer that most people associate with Birds of Prey but she has neither created the team nor any of the characters used, she actually only became writer of the book about 7 years after the first appearance of the team.
    Paul Dini and Bruce Timm on the other hand are the creators of Harley Quinn (and Rene Montoya).
    Last edited by Aahz; 02-09-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I would count the old man who sold out Harley. Yea he betrayed her but they blew up his place. He needed relocation.
    Agreed. Also the guy who saved Helena and his two male relatives who trained her.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I decided to look up showings for the week for my city....

Today- there were zero showings for the morning and afternoon. Night showing only.
    Cinepolis is showing Birds of Prey ONLY. 1917 & Bad Boys will not show unit after 10 PM BOTH with ONE showing. The only thing going on is a Dallas Stars game next door.
    Cinepolis is showing Birds of Prey 15 times times a day between now and Thursday. No other movie has more than 4 a day.

Sunday-All day showings with a few Spanish language ones.

This is going to be the same all week. UNTIL Friday.

Only 2 places will be showing it. The Dallas one will be downtown. The other is in Mesquite. This is a red flag for me. A DC movie doing this doesn't seem right.
    I saw it at Look Cinema at Preston/Belt Line on Saturday. There were plenty of available showings. I'd assume Cinemark has various available showtimes, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Is it worth watching for Huntress and Black Mask? No spoilers, please
    I honestly don't know that much about what Black Mask is like in the comics, but I thought McGregor did a really good job in the film. He's very sleazy.

As for Huntress, not a ton of screen time, but I adore her, she's amazing and hilarious in that ultra-straight-man Batman kind of way. She was probably my favorite character, personally.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I honestly don't know that much about what Black Mask is like in the comics, but I thought McGregor did a really good job in the film. He's very sleazy.

As for Huntress, not a ton of screen time, but I adore her, she's amazing and hilarious in that ultra-straight-man Batman kind of way. She was probably my favorite character, personally.

Black Mask was definitely a different take (I'd say the same about Victor Zsasz).....Not necessarily in a negative way.

I thought Huntress was one of the only positive aspects of the film, albeit not enough to make Huntress fans like or dislike the movie based on her, alone, as she doesn't have that much screen-time........The positive aspect was the proper portrayal of her back-story onscreen. That said, I don't think the casting was spot-on as she doesn't really look the part.

1. Man of Steel
    2. Dark Knight
    3. Batman Begins
    4. Birds of Prey
    5. Wonder Woman

That’s pretty much my ranking of every DC movie I’ve seen. I thought this was a solid movie and really fun. I don’t have the investment in the characters that some do though so I’m going in pretty open minded.

Incredible Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadlin...202853998/amp/

Opening at 81 million worldwide. With an 84 million budget its not bad but it didn't meet expectations. The film has to make roughly 170 million (not accounting for china) to break even which is very doable. I would expect them to make that next weekend.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-09-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Agreed. Also the guy who saved Helena and his two male relatives who trained her.

I saw it at Look Cinema at Preston/Belt Line on Saturday. There were plenty of available showings. I'd assume Cinemark has various available showtimes, as well.
    Bing nor Google listed any morning/afternoon showings for a lot of theaters.

Also so far it looks like the film will be showing at one or two theaters after President's Day-which I still find odd for a DC movie no matter WHO it is about.

Didn't Aquaman make 1 billion? No way is he more popular than Harley Quinn.
    One thing I have learned is NEVER underestimate a character's popularity. I have met a LOT of Aquaman fans-who don't read comics.

Cass's OGN is a best seller on Amazon right now and she was edited out of books for a time.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Bing nor Google listed any morning/afternoon showings for a lot of theaters.

Also so far it looks like the film will be showing at one or two theaters after President's Day-which I still find odd for a DC movie no matter WHO it is about.

I didn't bother looking at other theaters, but I just went to lookcinemas.com and checked out BoP showings for tomorrow.....On a Monday (Which, logically, would have less showings than Saturday/Sunday), there are 2 showings around noon at this theater, and 9 showings after 3pm. That's one theater in Dallas.

At the top of the box office is WB's Birds of Prey, finishing with an estimated $33.25 million from 4,236 theaters (fourth widest ever for an R-rated release), falling well short of industry expectations as well as the studio's anticipated $45 million start. Things looked good heading into the weekend with the film receiving a strong critical response -- 81% on RottenTomatoes and 60 on Metacritic -- which was then followed by an "B+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences and an 83% audience score on RottenTomatoes. However, it appears there just wasn't enough audience to push this one as high as most expected, though word of mouth may be able to keep it alive over the coming weeks if it proves to be more than just a niche film.

Warner Bros.
    Opening weekend crowds for Birds of Prey were 51% female with 65% of the audience coming in aged 25 or older. The film scored best with younger audiences, of which gave the film an "A-" CinemaScore, which suggests the R-rating may have been a major reason the film struggled to take flight, especially considering its predecessor, Suicide Squad, was a PG-13 feature and debuted with $133 million. It will be interesting to see what WB does with next year's The Suicide Squad, which is currently expected to be R-rated. Will that now change?

Internationally, Birds of Prey debuted in 78 markets with an estimated $48 million. Leading the way was Mexico with an estimated $4.6 million launch followed by Russia ($4m), UK ($3.9m), Brazil ($2.8m), France ($2.7m), Australia ($2.7m), Indonesia ($2.4m), Korea ($1.9m), Germany ($1.8m), Taiwan ($1.5m), Italy ($1.4m) and Spain ($1.38m). Japan will be the final market to open on March 20.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/articl...?ref_=bo_hm_hp

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I watched it yesterday. It was entertaining, but more like "Harley Quinn, Guest Starring Birds of Prey", and while I'm fine with Harley too much is definitely not my cup of tea.

I did like Ewan McGregor's portrayal of Black Mask, however. It was pretty entertaining.

So my ranking of DCEU films:

1) Shazam
    2) Wonder Woman
    3) Aquaman
    4) Man of Steel
    5) Birds of Prey
    6) Batman v Superman
    7) Justice League
    8) Suicide Squad

Just got back. I think there were 10 people in the theater with me.

Okay, since I've been dogging this movie for a year now, here are my honest thoughts of Birds of Prey and the Subtitle from Hell:

It was actually pretty good.

All of the performances were solid, the action setpieces were fun. Ewan McGreggor killed it as Black Mask, and Mary Elizabeth Winestead, while criminally underused, was an excellent Huntress.

I don't like color-blind casting. I think it's lazy shorthand for writers who don't want to be bothered with creating new characters, and instead want to switch up a character that has been around for decades. That being said, I thought Jurnee Smollet-Bell was a great Black Canary, and I wouldn't mind seeing her in the role again.

I thought Rosie Perez was too old to play Montoya, but for where they took her character in the movie, she ended up being perfect.

And of course, Margot Robbie killed it as Harley.

My sole complaint now about the movie- Cassandra Cain. This is nothing against the actress. I thought she did a good job with what she was given and gave an enjoyable performance. But I'm a fan of Cassandra Cain. I have been since she was introduced. Cassandra Cain is a near-mute martial arts master who was raised from birth to be an assassin, and to speak the language of violence instead of talking, and who rebelled and became a hero. And this was NOT Cassandra Cain. She should have been called literally anything else, and it would have been fine. Instead, it just pissed me off.

All in all, I'd give it a solid B. It's going to tank, and that's the studio's fault. They obviously thought that this could be DC's answer to Deadpool, and so they made it an R-rated movie. It should have been PG-13, and it's going to loose a ton of business because it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    All in all, I'd give it a solid B. It's going to tank, and that's the studio's fault. They obviously thought that this could be DC's answer to Deadpool, and so they made it an R-rated movie. It should have been PG-13, and it's going to loose a ton of business because it isn't.
    Yeah, I don't think the BoP should be an R-rated property.

You should be promoting these heroines as hard as possible to young girls (even if it sounds like most of them aren't at their heroic best in this film).