Page 26 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    People, I don't know how many ways I can say it:

Studios don't get 100% of the box office take

If you want to argue that the break even point is higher or lower, great!! If you want to argue that the percentage of the take is higher or lower or that there's a different domestic/international split, fantastic!! If you think they skimped on marketing due to concerns about the ultimate performance, I'll probably agree with you.

But dear Lord, please stop saying that a box office gross equivalent to the production budget means they're in the black. It doesn't.
    Has anyone said that?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Has anyone said that?
    Yes actually. A few pages back someone did said since it made it's budget on the global box office it meant the movie was in the black.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

2. Given that Mr. H is a known hate-grifter
    1) Can you explain what a 'hate-grifter' is?
    I presume it means he talks BS?
    Can you give any examples of where he has lied or been biased against something?
    99% of Everything I have ever heard him say has been on point.

and both of the people you mentioned unironically use "SJW" as a pejorative... yeah, those are hardly good sources for unbiased info.
    You can substitute 'SJW' for 'progressive' or 'woke' or 'feminist' or 'leftist' if you like.
    They're all the same crowd...
    Are you claiming 'SJW's' do not exist?
    Many comic pros have claimed the word online and said they themselves are SJW's.
    I feel like for some people, there is an effort to try and legitimise the term when their ideology is under attack.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    1) Can you explain what a 'hate-grifter' is?
    I presume it means he talks BS?
    In terms of this discussion, it's YouTubers who hate-watch things and give hyperboilc rants about them for money. And yes, they are dishonest, because they have to make things look as bad as possible. I've seen enough to know that flat-out lying about what they watch is not at all unusual for these sorts of folks.

You can substitute 'SJW' for 'progressive' or 'woke' or 'feminist' or 'leftist' if you like.
    And? They'd still be using it as an insult, as if any sort of minority taking a lead role in media, or the act of supporting that, is a bad thing.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Fantastic Member

In terms of this discussion, it's YouTubers who hate-watch things and give hyperboilc rants about them for money. And yes, they are dishonest, because they have to make things look as bad as possible. I've seen enough to know that flat-out lying about what they watch is not at all unusual for these sorts of folks.

And? They'd still be using it as an insult, as if any sort of minority taking a lead role in media, or the act of supporting that, is a bad thing.

As time goes on I find myself far more understanding of Kissinger's take on the Iran/Iraq War.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If Warner Bros ain't happy with what's the movie is earning them those outlets wouldn't be wrong. Superman Returns made big money in it's day and they still deemed it a failure.
    The budget of Superman Returns was 270 million.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    The budget of Superman Returns was 270 million.
    If anything Superman has for quite a while been a more consistent flop/box office poison magnet than Harley by the standards thrown around here.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

So then NO.
    You cannot give ANY specific examples of HOW exactly he is a hate-grifter.
    I rest my case.

No that's not how YoungRippa (a black man himself) or Mr H use the term, nor anyone else who uses it from a place of opposition.
    It refers to a disdain of identity politics over facts, and (in this context) studios not adapting comicbook properties authentically.
    Last edited by Dangerous; 02-15-2020 at 08:03 PM.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    People, I don't know how many ways I can say it:

Studios don't get 100% of the box office take

There will always be ones who think the break even point is what the movie costs, no matter how many times you tell them otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    So then NO.
    You cannot give ANY specific examples of HOW exactly he is a hate-grifter.
    I rest my case.
    He makes ranty videos about things he hate-watches in order to make money. That's how.

It refers to a disdain of identity politics over facts, and (in this context) studios not adapting comicbook properties authentically.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's only a coincidence that all their usual bugbears just so happen to be things that prominently feature women, or POC, or LGBT people, etc.
    Last edited by Caivu; 02-15-2020 at 10:53 PM.

A lot of female centric movies have been flopping recently. its not only Birds of Prey.

Terminator Dark Fate
    Charlie's Angels
    The Rhythm Section
    Birds of Prey

If Mulan, Black Widow and Wonder Woman 2 joins this list. The feminist movement will be in big trouble.
    Last edited by Valentis; 02-16-2020 at 03:41 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    A lot of female centric movies have been flopping recently. its not only Birds of Prey.

Terminator Dark Fate
    Charlie's Angels
    The Rhythm Section
    Birds of Prey

If Mulan, Black Widow and Wonder Woman 2 joins this list. The feminist movement will be in big trouble.
    I am concerned about that because it's very unfortunate.
    I can understand Charlie's Angels flopping but Terminator Dark Fate was supposed to be a good film as well as BoP. I can't speak for Rhythm Section as I'm not familiar with the film.

Mulan will flop. It had a chance with China but with the coronavirus I think it's a done deal. The Marvel brand will help BW do modest numbers I think. I haven't met anyone super excited to see it from the trailers though. Wonder Woman is the only guarantee hit I see right now.

Terminator Dark Fate
    Charlie's Angels
    The Rhythm Section
    Birds of Prey

I think the feminist movement has bigger problems than a few movies flopping.

Terminator Dark Fate
    Charlie's Angels
    The Rhythm Section
    Birds of Prey

I dont think you can blame the underperformance of BoP on its female centric nature.

The R rating has denied a large part of the target audience access to it.

In my country its rated MA+ which is the restriction under R. It means under 15s can only see it with a supervising adult. The theartre I went to would have easily been 35% 15 to 18 year old girls. 25% same age boys and15- 20% families with younger kids with one or more adult.

I dont think that is the exact breakdown of the demographic for the movie, as the theatre I went to is the cheapest one around (adult tickets are $9.50 vs $19, kids are $5.50 vs $10.50 and student are $7. 50 vs $12 at other cinemas) so the numbers of students and young families are always a little higher there as they can more afford it at that cinema. Still its telling that so many who wouldn't get into it where its R rated wanted to see it opening weekend.

I think Warner just assumed since R did so well for Joker why not. The problem with that thinking is while the R rating limits its nornal target audience the BoP simply didnt have the material that attracts those hard core R rated fans to make up for the shortfall, while Joker, old man logan and Deadpool did.

Its almost like they went out of their way to get an R rating to be edgey that it didnt deserve. I mean there wasnt a lot of blood (nothing they couldnt have done without and not suffered) and the violence wasnt that much more than any PG rated superhero movie. It was all really for the case of a little language and not much more.

Shame because the film wasnt bad. It shoudl have been hitting close to breaking even by now, but as its only at 160m internationally the studio likely has just gotten close to production costs and still not covered marketing. Since as of next week their cut out of the box office starts to drop they'll end up relying on DVD/streaming/blue ray and syndication to make a profit. I know there are still some markets it hasnt had a shot (Hong kong and India are only just starting back up after corona virus, but they each only added 10m to the 1.1b of Aquaman's box office so would have only added 1 or 2m to this figure

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I am concerned about that because it's very unfortunate.
    I can understand Charlie's Angels flopping but Terminator Dark Fate was supposed to be a good film as well as BoP. I can't speak for Rhythm Section as I'm not familiar with the film.

Mulan will flop. It had a chance with China but with the coronavirus I think it's a done deal. The Marvel brand will help BW do modest numbers I think. I haven't met anyone super excited to see it from the trailers though. Wonder Woman is the only guarantee hit I see right now.
    Dark Fate deserve to flop. It killed off the character the entire franchise resolves around to replace with another character who brings nothing new to the table. The plot is a copy and paste of T2. Terminator needs to be put to bed if anyone can't think up of anything for it that hasn't already been done in the first two movies.