Page 25 of 135 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be fair, Marvel only seriously publishes solo books for three spider-characters (not counting Venom or when Peter gets double books). Most of them fade into the background or get shoved off to team books.

The best Wally could hope for is the Miles treatment.
    Miles Morales and Ghost-Spider (Gwen) expand the franchise by reaching demographics that Peter Parker doesn't.

With Jay, Barry and Wally you have three able-bodied neurotypical heterosexual white American men.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    When did Spidey get angsty?
    Amazing Fantasy #15.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Miles Morales and Ghost-Spider (Gwen) expand the franchise by reaching demographics that Peter Parker doesn't.

With Jay, Barry and Wally you have three able-bodied neurotypical heterosexual white American men.
    Which is why I will never understand why DC don’t want to use Wally’s supporting cast : Chuck, Piper, Linda, Jai, Irey, they’re all fantastic characters that show the diversity of our world.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Which is why I will never understand why DC don’t want to use Wally’s supporting cast : Chuck, Piper, Linda, Jai, Irey, they’re all fantastic characters that show the diversity of our world.
    DC doesn't use anyone's supporting cast effectively(unless its the Bat Family and even then, the 'effectiveness' of their use is extremely suspect)

Astonishing Member

Amazing Fantasy #15.
    Wally actually ushered in a vastly more diverse cast years before it was trendy to do. The next obvious step in the line, set up going back to the 90s, was a Korean American girl

Not to mention the first positively portrayed, out gay character

Marvel has published Spider-Man solo's that reach similar demographics to Peter, but Jay and Wally stories would be different from Barry stories since neither is actually Barry.

Astonishing Member

Where is Ben Reilly now?

It's off the mark to say that Wally West is analogous to Miles Morales. They were created for different reasons, with different goals.

Where is Ben Reilly now?

It's off the mark to say that Wally West is analogous to Miles Morales. They were created for different reasons, with different goals.
    That Ben Reilly book shot itself in the foot thanks to Clone Conspiracy.

I think it's off the mark to say there's nothing analogous between Wally and Miles. Both are legacy heroes, both became independent and made a mantle their own after the original died, both were depicted as contrasts to the hero they succeeded and had different lives/dynamics.

The one clear difference is that Miles was never a sidekick, although that hasn't stopped media from depicting him as basically Peter's sidekick. Miles in the PS4 Spider-Man game had more in common with Wally West then he did Miles from the comics.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Savitar_DC.jpg

Still one of the best comics ever.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That Ben Reilly book shot itself in the foot thanks to Clone Conspiracy.

I think it's off the mark to say there's nothing analogous between Wally and Miles. Both are legacy heroes, both became independent and made a mantle their own after the original died, both were depicted as contrasts to the hero they succeeded and had different lives/dynamics.

The one clear difference is that Miles was never a sidekick, although that hasn't stopped media from depicting him as basically Peter's sidekick. Miles in the PS4 Spider-Man game had more in common with Wally West then he did Miles from the comics.
    A large part of why Miles Morales was created was to add some ethnic and cultural diversity to Marvel's line. He resonated with people in ways Peter Parker couldn't, especially with Into the Spider-Verse. Miles broadens the audience in a way Wally West does not.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Again, as said above wally has diverse cast. They aren't used. And if giving the character a tan is such big deal. then sure, go for it. Just leave the hair and eyes as is. Problem solved done deal.

Astonishing Member

Miles Morales is a character who is informed by (but not wholly defined by) his cultural heritage. He is not a white character “with a tan”.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Is'nt iris supposed to be bi-racial? Anyways, i didn't mean to offend. I just meant change the background. Have some part of the west be from brazil, Japan or some other parts of the world. Just add it as another layer if this is important. Don't remove things that already is There.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

No, it isn't.

Sure, Miles has all the ethinical differences and great portrayal going for him, but his whole set-up and initial character arc is Wally West to a T. Im many ways, Wally is the storytelling archetype Miles was built on.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member

The conversation is straying from my original point:

Peter Parker, Miles Morales and Ghost-Spider are a more diverse cast than Jay, Barry and Wally. They expand the readership by speaking to different demographics. Marvel would have little use for a male version of Ghost-Spider or a white version of Miles.

Miles and Ghost-Spider are also both part of Marvel's YA line, along with Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Champions etc. Different demographic than stories about an adult Wally West.

A large part of why Miles Morales was created was to add some ethnic and cultural diversity to Marvel's line. He resonated with people in ways Peter Parker couldn't, especially with Into the Spider-Verse. Miles broadens the audience in a way Wally West does not.
    Wally resonated with a lot of people in a way Barry didn't or we wouldn't even be where we are right now.
    Peter Parker, Miles Morales and Ghost-Spider are a more diverse cast than Jay, Barry and Wally. They expand the readership by speaking to different demographics. Marvel would have little use for a male version of Ghost-Spider or a white version of Miles.
    Jay, Barry, and Wally can appeal to different audiences in my opinion, because all three are very different Flashes. There's not diversity in race involved, but a diversity in character, situation, and personality that I think is equally valid.
    Miles and Ghost-Spider are also both part of Marvel's YA line, along with Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Champions etc. Different demographic than stories about an adult Wally West.
    Wally wouldn't need to. That's what Bart and Wallace are for.