Page 51 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Mixed feelings about this taking place in Smallville. Really wanted this to be in Metropolis instead, the constant focus on Smallville has really started to grate on me. It’s a boring place that you’d never expect Superman to come from, that’s the whole point, at least that’s the Post Crisis point of it. I hope they eventually go back to Metropolis. Got a laugh about him being a Batman nerd, that’s an amusing twist.
    I can't help but wonder if a lack of focus on Metropolis is to not draw comparisons to National City on Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't help but wonder if a lack of focus on Metropolis is to not draw comparisons to National City on Supergirl.
    You’re probably correct. Setting it in a small town does help differentiate it from the other Arrowverse shows which tend to be focused on cities, which is why I have mixed feelings. Starting off in Smallville will help this stand out, but I still want to get back to Metropolis eventually.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Given Jordan Kent's first character description for the casting call described him as having an "inherent darkness" and being not very social, it's no wonder that Elsass being a Batman fan would gravitate towards that. The casting director likely ended up picking him for Jon because they saw something in his performance, look, or both that got across what they were looking for from Jon.

And if I had to guess, I'd assume they picked Smallville both to distinguish it from Supergirl, and to cash in on the strength of past Superman shows. In relatively, this show is almost a spiritual successor to Lois & Clark and Smallville, and they certainly know it, hence the setting and the title of the show.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-24-2020 at 11:00 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Wait, Wasn't jordan playing jon? How can him liking batman help with that? I mean, jon likes damian.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Wait, Wasn't jordan playing jon? How can him liking batman help with that? I mean, jon likes damian.
    Yes, Jordon Elsass is playing Jon Kent. I don't quite follow your question about it helping or not. It was simply a fact that he related when the interviewer asked him about his favorite superheroes and such like. Batman is his favorite DC superhero, although his actual favorite character (in terms of being the one he would like to play) is the Joker, largely because he admires both Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix. He originally submitted an audition tape for Jordan, but then later submitted another for Jon (he didn't say why, presumably his agent or a producer suggested it).

Evidently they did see something they really liked in him. He says that he was called to Burbank to do a live reading, and talks about how strange that was since it is very austere. Basically you go into a large theater, the assembled group from the show and network asks you to read some lines, then they thank you and show you the door. He had just completed his reading and was sitting in the cafeteria with his mother when his phone rang and it was his agent saying they were offering him the part. So whatever it was they liked, they must have really liked.

Incidentally, Alex Garfin, who got the part of Jordan, is also said to really fit the casting. He has recently been praised for a performance he did on stage in New York where he played a teenager suspected of having something to do with a young girl's disappearance. The reviewer for New York Magazine said that the play wasn't very good, but Garfin gave an unsettling portrayal of a stressed, lonely teenager whose story was earnest but ultimately so slippery that you began to suspect him of being a master manipulator.

You’re probably correct. Setting it in a small town does help differentiate it from the other Arrowverse shows which tend to be focused on cities, which is why I have mixed feelings. Starting off in Smallville will help this stand out, but I still want to get back to Metropolis eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And if I had to guess, I'd assume they picked Smallville both to distinguish it from Supergirl, and to cash in on the strength of past Superman shows. In relatively, this show is almost a spiritual successor to Lois & Clark and Smallville, and they certainly know it, hence the setting and the title of the show.
    I think there are likely elements of all this in there. The Arrowverse shows all kind of have had different niches. I can see them trying to distinguish it from Supergirl initially and call back to Smallville in a sense. I also think it gives them an added element of "relevance" to current events as a hook, given they seem to be leaning into themes touching on the decline of rural American cities, agriculture, and predatory big business moving in. I would not be surprised if they move it to Metropolis in a few years once Supergirl runs its course.

In hindsight, the Kent Farm and "Somebody Saaaaaave me" from Elseworlds was foreshadowing.

Well, that plus Hoechlin and Welling shared a scene for, like, five seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think there are likely elements of all this in there. The Arrowverse shows all kind of have had different niches. I can see them trying to distinguish it from Supergirl initially and call back to Smallville in a sense. I also think it gives them an added element of "relevance" to current events as a hook, given they seem to be leaning into themes touching on the decline of rural American cities, agriculture, and predatory big business moving in. I would not be surprised if they move it to Metropolis in a few years once Supergirl runs its course.
    If that’s the plan I can dig it. Setting it in a more American Alien-esque Smallville where the town is struggling and dying could make for some great storytelling. How’s Clark feel about what’s happening? His wife and sons are definitely not going to share his nostalgia for the place, so how will they interact with the place?

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Yes, Jordon Elsass is playing Jon Kent. I don't quite follow your question about it helping or not. It was simply a fact that he related when the interviewer asked him about his favorite superheroes and such like. Batman is his favorite DC superhero, although his actual favorite character (in terms of being the one he would like to play) is the Joker, largely because he admires both Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix. He originally submitted an audition tape for Jordan, but then later submitted another for Jon (he didn't say why, presumably his agent or a producer suggested it).

Evidently they did see something they really liked in him. He says that he was called to Burbank to do a live reading, and talks about how strange that was since it is very austere. Basically you go into a large theater, the assembled group from the show and network asks you to read some lines, then they thank you and show you the door. He had just completed his reading and was sitting in the cafeteria with his mother when his phone rang and it was his agent saying they were offering him the part. So whatever it was they liked, they must have really liked.

Incidentally, Alex Garfin, who got the part of Jordan, is also said to really fit the casting. He has recently been praised for a performance he did on stage in New York where he played a teenager suspected of having something to do with a young girl's disappearance. The reviewer for New York Magazine said that the play wasn't very good, but Garfin gave an unsettling portrayal of a stressed, lonely teenager whose story was earnest but ultimately so slippery that you began to suspect him of being a master manipulator.
    I was asking how can liking batman help him play jon? Jon doesn't have inherent darkness. Sure, he can be a jerk but that's just it.
    If that’s the plan I can dig it. Setting it in a more American Alien-esque Smallville where the town is struggling and dying could make for some great storytelling. How’s Clark feel about what’s happening? His wife and sons are definitely not going to share his nostalgia for the place, so how will they interact with the place?
    I don't believe with the characterisation they are going for jon would mind being in Smallville. He seems like postcrisis byrne superman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-25-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I was asking how can liking batman help him play jon? Jon doesn't have inherent darkness. Sure, he can be a jerk but that's just it.

I don't believe with the characterisation they are going for jon would mind being in Smallville. He seems like postcrisis byrne superman.
    Comic Jon grew up in Hamilton, but TV Jon seems to have grown up in Metropolis. So he might not share comic Jon’s enthusiasm for small town life.

Growing up in a place doesn't mean he wouldn't be okay with another. He is gonna be a jock. He is said to be with aw! Shucks! Mentality. He doesn't have powers till he reaches an age. That's postcrisis guy to a t. Yeah! I believe jon would like smallville . Jordan won't be.

Kid jon didn't have enthusiasm for smalltown. Only his smalltown. Which was full of aliens, wierd cows and burning trees. He just likes mysteries, adventure and most importantly fun. Once, he realised he could get that in Metropolis. He didn't mind.Espiecially going to school with damian . But,still Hamilton had things that metropolis kinda didn't. So, i believe he would find it relatively boring. That's my guess. Since, that thread couldn't be pulled. He wound up in space.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-25-2020 at 12:57 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

For whatever it's worth, there's a scene in the leaked script that indicates that neither Jon nor the rest of the family likes their visits to Smallville very much. Jon and Lois share a moment where they gesture about their feeling on it. Though this is before Ma passes, mind you, but still.

Maybe also worth noting that Jon already has a girlfriend at his old school when we are introduced to him, and he was getting ready to make varsity, so I imagine it'll be annoying for him to uproot while life was going his way.

All in service to a very clear character arc that they're setting up.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-25-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

If you haven't read the leaked script, this is definitely the direction they seem to be going with Smallville. There's even a line in there about how Lana's husband has seen some pretty terrible things in Smallville as it deterioated that I read as a reference to some of the opioid crisis type scenarios. And the whole Edge plot seems to hinge on his coming in and buying up failing farms and land.

For whatever it's worth, there's a scene in the leaked script that indicates that neither Jon nor the rest of the family likes their visits to Smallville very much. Jon and Lois share a moment where they gesture about their feeling on it. Though this is before Ma passes, mind you, but still.

Maybe also worth noting that Jon already has a girlfriend at his old school when we are introduced to him, and he was getting ready to make varsity, so I imagine it'll be annoying for him to uproot while life was going his way.

All in service to a very clear character arc that they're setting up.
    It was like "Smallville, where a year can pass in a day" or something. Yeah, Jon is definitely not written as being enthused about spending time there.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They seem to be setting Edge up as the main villain here since Supergirl has Luthor. If that script is accurate, my guess is that the AU Luthor isn't going to be Cryer. I'm curious what other villains show up since Supergirl seems to be hogging all his.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    They seem to be setting Edge up as the main villain here since Supergirl has Luthor. If that script is accurate, my guess is that the AU Luthor isn't going to be Cryer. I'm curious what other villains show up since Supergirl seems to be hogging all his.
    The AU Luthor should’ve been Ultra-Humanite instead imo. He’s still got the intelligence to compete with Supes and the body hopping could provide an interesting dilemma, particularly if he targets one of Clark’s sons to take over. We still get that classic brains vs brawn Superman vs. Lex set up without using Lex. And who better to face Superman in his first season of a full blown Superman TV show than his actual first supervillain?