Page 43 of 147 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm ready for a full arc with the classic Hulk again.
    Do you mean Classic Savage Hulk? Or something more in the vein of Green Scar/Gravage?

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    A lot of variants of the "green" Hulk have very minor personalty/visual differences so it would probably counterproductive to give them names/labels. It's still never been confirmed if the one from the very first issues (the Hulk that hated Humans, had cunning intellect, and only could appear if Bruce used a gamma machine on himself) was also Gravage Hulk or not. Also, does Nul count as a personality? Etc.
    Nul was in the Hammer, so no more than Venom counts as one I'd think.
    Last edited by H-E-D; 04-07-2020 at 11:52 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    With several other incarnations have gotten names or labels, I'm surprised that the one from #447 to the end of Peter's run doesn't really have any stable name, mainly just the fan label of "Grayvage Hulk".

I think PAD's intent was that it was basically still the merged Hulk, but with the Banner part missing (since it was in another universe and was becoming a long-haired savage Hulk)-and even when Banner returned, it seemed to remain the same except with the transformations. If I've read accurately, I think it was sort of a compromise PAD had to do-Marvel's editorial wanted the savage Hulk back (and PAD wanted it to go in a different direction), so he gave them a "sort of" savage incarnation.

Jenkins I think established that Casey's version that followed was, for the most part, the Professor again, due to his own retcons. Or something like that.

Perhaps this was an earlier form of Green Scar in a sense? Has some of the same basic attitude and intelligence.
    That’s always how I interpreted this hulk as well. Gravage or Bannerless Green Scar.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Claudio Castellini's art with the other outcome from Hulk vs Superman fight in Marvel vs. DC.

Kind of funny that in both versions of art they have basically the same dialogue.

Merged/Professor often came off as the most "Superman" of the Hulks, probably, especially with more of a heroic jawline and hair when drawn by Gary Frank. Kind of also fit with Professor, according to Jenkins, pretty much being Bruce's ideal version of himself and the Hulk...And of course Frank has done a good amount of Superman work in addition to Hulk.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-08-2020 at 09:00 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

Incredible Hulk #283
    “Follow the Leader!”

Cover Date: May 1983
    Sale Date: February 8th, 1983
    Writer: Bill Mantlo
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Joe Sinnott
    Letterer: Jim Novak
    Colorist: Bob Sharen
    Editor: Al Milgrom

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: The Avengers, Omnivac (robotic form), Jackdaw
    Villain: The Leader

Synopsis: The Avengers and the Hulk storm the Leader’s hidden orbital stronghold. They soon discover the Leader’s plans to travel back in time and bombard the Earth with gamma rays in order to create the human race as intellectual gamma beings. The Avengers are transported through time, leaving the Hulk and She-Hulk to rescue them.

Commentary:
    Straight-forward action issue. Banner’s insecurities as the Hulk seem to have disappeared, but they’ll creep up later on.

Loved these stories leading up to the crossroads. I feel like, in part, part of early Hulk stories was causing the reader to empathize with 'ole jade jaws. They certainly had that down pat in those days. Any good that ever happened to the poor guy was usually pretty short lived. Above, Banner had become the assertive personality in Hulk's body. Hulk was doing amazing things while in full control of his faculties and temper. The world had embraced Bruce as a hero and someone to be feared no longer.

And then....
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I have a soft spot for it, really. Also, I think it wasn't made in the right time, not when you had Spidey (2002) as the model of what comic book movies, for the most part, would/should be.
    Agree to disagree.

Enters the thoughtful man

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Enters the thoughtful man

I’m ready for this. Been waiting for years to see Leader get some big moments. Good to see “pencils down” hasn’t affected this book yet.

BANNED

I love how creepy Leader looks, also anyone notice how there are 3 small green doors he seems to be communicating through? Last time we saw 1 green door when he was talking through Rick i wonder if he has affected 2 other people.

Also as for pencils down, this is going to be one of the last books in Marvel to be affected by that if it ever does get affected, due to the popularity of the book as well as critical acclaim, Immortal Hulk is pretty much Marvels flagship at this point, so that's always re-assuring. The one thing that sucks is that we are likely not to get any books in April, hopefully things become better in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m ready for this. Been waiting for years to see Leader get some big moments. Good to see “pencils down” hasn’t affected this book yet.
    I'd trade every other comic being put on indefinite hold to save this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    I love how creepy Leader looks, also anyone notice how there are 3 small green doors he seems to be communicating through? Last time we saw 1 green door when he was talking through Rick i wonder if he has affected 2 other people.

Also as for pencils down, this is going to be one of the last books in Marvel to be affected by that if it ever does get affected, due to the popularity of the book as well as critical acclaim, Immortal Hulk is pretty much Marvels flagship at this point, so that's always re-assuring. The one thing that sucks is that we are likely not to get any books in April, hopefully things become better in May.
    Agreed on everything!

Kind of getting evil ET from that art.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post

Aside from Hickmans X-Men, I agee this is flagship. Superb book. Excited for when we get back into the story.

Ewing has said multiple times that the worst is yet to come. Bad, bad things are coming for Banner/Hulk. Really exciting!