View Poll Results: Who is your favourite 616 Marvel LGBT character?

Voters
891. You may not vote on this poll
  • ANOLE [Victor Borkowski]

30 3.37%
  • BLING! [Roxanne ‘Roxy’ Washington]

12 1.35%
  • CULLEN BLOODSTONE

21 2.36%
  • DAKEN AKIHIRO

47 5.27%
  • HULKLING [Theodore ‘Teddy’ Altman]

49 5.50%
  • KARMA [Xi’an Coy Mahn]

49 5.50%
  • KAROLINA DEAN

47 5.27%
  • LOKI LAUFEYSON, God of Mischief

78 8.75%
  • MOONDRAGON [Heather Douglas]

46 5.16%
  • MYSTIQUE [Raven Darkholme]

134 15.04%
  • NORTHSTAR [Jean-Paul Beaubier]

69 7.74%
  • PRODIGY [David Alleyne]

26 2.92%
  • RICTOR [Julio Esteban Ricter]

47 5.27%
  • SHATTERSTAR [Gaveedra-7]

51 5.72%
  • WICCAN [William ‘Billy’ Kaplan], the Demiurge

185 20.76%
Page 1018 of 1132 FirstFirst ... 185189189681008101410151016101710181019102010211022102810681118 ... LastLast
Results 15,256 to 15,270 of 16972
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Whitley had hinted in an early issue that she was something other than straight, but exactly what was never confirmed. The subject was never addressed directly on-panel; just hinted at once or twice.
    Makes sense if you followed her character.

If if were any of the Champions, it would be her.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    My controversial opinion is that I don't feel like Tommy and Billy being close, let alone having a proper sibling dynamic, has been at all earned in the comics.
    It's part of the problem with a lack of a proper YA ongoing.
    Apparently Teddy and Tommy both lived with the Kaplans after the end of Volume 1? They never really explored that dynamic with the 3 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

I still think that Viv could have been ace as well before she tried kissing Riri
    Its similar to when America Chavez said that she didn't enjoy kissing boys, that does not necessarily mean that they like girls instead.

But I understand why having an android be a sexual can perpetuate harmful stereotypes.

My controversial opinion is that I don't feel like Tommy and Billy being close, let alone having a proper sibling dynamic, has been at all earned in the comics.
    I agree with this statement I think they love eachother but haven't really had time to connect. I mean with volume 1 they were just starting to get to know eachother, Crusade sent Billy into a depression, Volume 2 Tommy was out of play majority but Billy does hug him out of joy, but it still feels like he kind of forgot about him with everything that was going on. New Avengers no real mention of their dynamic except that they communicate and do in fact claim one another as brothers. Then slide into Deathshead Tini Howard made it seem like they were beefing or at least arguing and now at present we have no idea where they stand. Though Anthony Olivera did say he thinks Tommy and Teddy might share mutual resentment towards Billy and that he planned to address that in the Emperor Hulking oneshot, so maybe that will give a definitive update on where they stand. I will say I do think they love eachother, but their definitely not as close as the fandom would like them to be. Honestly Tommy might be closer to Teddy more than Billy.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I mean, it shouldn't be controversial because it's the simple truth, LOL. Billy's whole family dynamic needs to be more fleshed out. We barely see the Kaplans (he mentioned having two brothers once upon a time and that was never ever brought up again), his relationship with his spiritual family only exists when writers want to make a point, and they rarely do that, so... For someone with so much family, he never really gets to interact with them in a real, family way. I really hope we get a Wiccan solo book one day, or at least a Wiccan & Hulkling one. It's probably his best shot at having his personal/family life really explored.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 06-08-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I mean, it shouldn't be controversial because it's the simple truth, LOL. Billy's whole family dynamic needs to be more fleshed out. We barely see the Kaplans (he mentioned having two brothers once upon a time and that was never brought up ever again), his relationship with his spiritual family only exists when writers want to make a point, and they rarely do that, so... For someone with so much family, he never really gets to interact with them in a real, family way. I really hope we get a Wiccan solo book one day, or at least a Wiccan & Hulkling one. It's probably his best shot at having his personal/family life really explored.
    Or Wanda is supposed to have a big roll in the Doom mini with Chthon, Cheung posted some art looks like Wanda and Tommy are there, maybe Billy will join and it will give them some much needed bonding time.

Ultimate Member

Can't disagree.

Sooooo much about the twins needs to be better fleshed out. Marvel needs to just make some solid character choices, a direction and just go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    Having an entire team of LGBT heroes feels like pandering. What I want is a team that has a gay hero or 2 with straight members as well. It is always portrayed that we cant mingle or be friends with straight people. I feel like if there is a gay hero, they are always put with other gay heroes. Tommy and Kate being straight (rhyme!) is a good balance for the team.

I also hate that the media never portrays a gay man and a straight man being friends. All of my friends are cishet men and there aren't any problems between us. like wtf
    Forthcoming X-Factor book looks like it may do the trick.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Agreed. Their dynamic hasn't been properly given the attention and exploration I wish it would.

I'd very much enjoy a Tommy centered story -- not unlike the "day in the life" one we got from Gillen showcasing Tommy's work life -- but in this case, we'd get maybe series of vignettes addressing what else he does with his time.
    Where does he hang out?
    Who does he talk with?
    Is he on social media?
    Is he doing all kinds of undocumented hero-ing like stopping robberies, muggers, violence, but doing it so so fast that people don't know its him. Like he's on his way to meet for coffee and "OH HEY, bank robbers, I've got 3 seconds to spare" and then WOOSH back to his social life.
    I'd love it if it was revealed that he checks in (creeps) on his fellow Young Avengers --- zipping by and watching from a distance so as not to actually reveal he cares. I'd love to get inside his head and start to examine his emotional /mental health because he strikes me as the kind of guy whose speed is a metaphor for avoidance.

Ultimate Member

Tommy's thoughts on Teddy, specifically, interest me. Here's this guy who, due to his relationship with Billy, pretty much gets all the limited emotional oxygen-in-the-room from Billy, leaving not much left for Tommy, who *doesn't* have a loving family and two brothers at home, as a fall back. Obviously it would be churlish to blame him much for this, but it would be totally *human* to resent him a tiny bit (and maybe Billy as well, for lacking the emotional bandwidth to spend some energy maintaining a relationship with his 'brother' as well as his boyfriend).

Meanwhile, Tommy's got no one, while Billy seems to have an embarassment of riches going on in the family & friends department, by comparison. (And if his power affects him anything like Pietro's does him, he's got subjective forevers to obsess about stuff like this...)

Tommy strikes me as A) profoundly lonely, or B) having so distant an affect that he's mostly fine all by himself (perhaps even preferring it that way?).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

The situation with Riri and Viv was so awkwardly handled that I still wonder if there were plans to pursue it that got nixed by some higher up who didn't want Ironheart being queer.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The situation with Riri and Viv was so awkwardly handled that I still wonder if there were plans to pursue it that got nixed by some higher up who didn't want Ironheart being queer.
    I think there was a rumor a while back, or I think even Whitley might have said something, about plans to out a prominent young hero that Marvel put the kibosh on...it might have been either Riri or Nadia.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Very nice!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Call me cynical but I think they’re waiting on her rumored MCU Disney Plus show debut, and whatever happens there, whether she’s straight, ace, lesbian, or bi will then be reflected in the comics.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there was a rumor a while back, or I think even Whitley might have said something, about plans to out a prominent young hero that Marvel put the kibosh on...it might have been either Riri or Nadia.
    Yes, I remember that rumor, but it didn't come from Whitley and it wasn't clear if it was a Marvel character at all. I don't know if anyone ever found out who was it, or even if it was true. One thing Whitley said was that a publisher once told him he was only allowed to portray a gay relationship if it was ''implicit'', BUT he later clarified that publisher was NOT Marvel and that Marvel never told him anything like that while writing a gay couple.