Page 48 of 145 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I don't like politics in my comics but if DC wrote a story on the current social injustices with John leading the way, how do you think it would go? Would it be a solo story or as a team with the JLA or Corps? Maybe together with Hal or Guy? Just wondering how you guys would tackle the story.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I don't like politics in my comics but if DC wrote a story on the current social injustices with John leading the way, how do you think it would go? Would it be a solo story or as a team with the JLA or Corps? Maybe together with Hal or Guy? Just wondering how you guys would tackle the story.
    He shouldn't be chaperoned by white counterparts or moralize to them.

Make it allegorical and set it off of Earth, with John's past experiences shown as informing his decisions. That could be his time in America or the Middle East or wherever else he served.

Wizard Magazine was pushing for a John Stewart book back in 2003, before Rebirth:

Wizard's Ultimate Justice League - ORIGINAL 2003 ARTICLE & CONCEPT ART
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-20-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    John is ex-military, everyone knows this, but too few people remember he left because of dissatisfaction with the establishment; he should be well aware of systematic issues. If John were to go a story tackling the issues facing America right now I feel he should be addressing them straight up, no allegory no anecdotes. To that end, even if DC had the balls to tackle them, that kind of story would require a writer with the passion and the talent to do so competently, authentically, and compellingly (which i don't think they have) and a better than servicable artist (which I don't think they'll tap).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    John is ex-military, everyone knows this, but too few people remember he left because of dissatisfaction with the establishment; he should be well aware of systematic issues. If John were to go a story tackling the issues facing America right now I feel he should be addressing them straight up, no allegory no anecdotes. To that end, even if DC had the balls to tackle them, that kind of story would require a writer with the passion and the talent to do so competently, authentically, and compellingly (which i don't think they have) and a better than servicable artist (which I don't think they'll tap).
    They kind of already hit on the subject in John’s first appearance but I would love to see DC tackle this story in one or more issues of the JLA. I think it would be great and it would garner a lot of attention by the comic book media. Maybe even national media.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I wonder how someone like John, a man who grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, would deal with the recent police violence and how would he reconcile that with his role as Green Lantern? That's a story I'd like to see.

I remember there being a Star Sapphire when Robert Vendetti was writing who mentioned how while the Green Lanterns were fighting with the other colors her planet kept getting attacked so her people and her became bandits to protect themselves. That character had some potential despite the writing.

I agree with the message, but I'm deeply offended and hurt by this, because I feel DC is only doing this for publicity. They're practically using them like they really care for them to get into POC pockets, which I think it's pathetic and somewhat racist. Only ONE character out of that roster has a solo title. It's sad. If DC really cared THAT much for black characters, then more characters would have solo titles. I'm sorry, but I can't really take DC seriously here. They are a disgrace and they give zero shits about John Stewart fans enough to warrant him a solo title. The Geoff Johns era proved that John can never succeed like he did in the cartoons, because a white character is above him. Tom King is also for BLM, but yet he killed off a black character like John Stewart to make the white character (Hal Jordan) look good. I guess that black character's life didn't matter that much to him in that story. I'm really hurt. My day is ruined by this

I apologize for the rant.

BANNED

Happy Juneteenth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I agree with the message, but I'm deeply offended and hurt by this, because I feel DC is only doing this for publicity. They're practically using them like they really care for them to get into POC pockets, which I think it's pathetic and somewhat racist. Only ONE character out of that roster has a solo title. It's sad. If DC really cared THAT much for black characters, then more characters would have solo titles. I'm sorry, but I can't really take DC seriously here. They are a disgrace and they give zero shits about John Stewart fans enough to warrant him a solo title. The Geoff Johns era proved that John can never succeed like he did in the cartoons, because a white character is above him. Tom King is also for BLM, but yet he killed off a black character like John Stewart to make the white character (Hal Jordan) look good. I guess that black character's life didn't matter that much to him in that story. I'm really hurt. My day is ruined by this []

No, you're right, and that one solo title is a limited series, right? What's also funny is that--as their most popular black character--John should be centered, but they're suddenly pushing the Milestone characters, who haven't been published in books for years or decades due to some legal or business reason. DC has more authority over and easier access to John than the Milestone characters or Black Lightning, and Cyborg was never going to be a workable paragon since he's disfigured and redundant to Batman, but it'd be the end of the world if John was treated like the Clark, Bruce, or Diana. Why is Nubia, a hardly known or developed character, there instead of Vixen, their most iconic Black woman? Why is broken Cyborg there instead of the empowering Mr. Terrific? Unlike Marvel, DC, given how it has treated its black characters and audience through its story telling and editing, has no justifiable right to put out an image like that. They can list as many characters as they want-- Doesn't matter since they're all treated second--or even third--class. Embarrassing and shameful.

Funny-- A bunch of racist shows are getting cancelled, racist actors and cast members are getting fired, racist execs being put on leave... Statements from the NFL... A Black Bachelor... And DC continues to pander to white supremacy through the images it pushes and doesn't push in its publishing, refusing to normalize, humanize, and add dimension to Black characters the way it does Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman.

I heard one of the reasons DC brought back the undies for Superman and Batman is that it allows them to re-publish old stories for the Wal-Mart market, which has a more diverse reach. If DC's not going to be relevant in the ways that matter, then I'm fine with them shutting down new stories catered to the direct market.

Sell giant size books with covers like this over old stories featuring the pictured characters, cut publishing costs, and call it a day.

Archie digests already does that, and most of the company money comes in from licensing anyway--no need to create new stories when most outside adaptations like the DCAU are doing a better job anyway.

Given its platform, DC is more than quietly complicit-- It's actively a part of the problem.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-19-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I agree with the message, but I'm deeply offended and hurt by this, because I feel DC is only doing this for publicity. They're practically using them like they really care for them to get into POC pockets, which I think it's pathetic and somewhat racist. Only ONE character out of that roster has a solo title. It's sad. If DC really cared THAT much for black characters, then more characters would have solo titles. I'm sorry, but I can't really take DC seriously here. They are a disgrace and they give zero shits about John Stewart fans enough to warrant him a solo title. The Geoff Johns era proved that John can never succeed like he did in the cartoons, because a white character is above him. Tom King is also for BLM, but yet he killed off a black character like John Stewart to make the white character (Hal Jordan) look good. I guess that black character's life didn't matter that much to him in that story. I'm really hurt. My day is ruined by this

No need to apologize. DC is full of @#$% when it comes to this stuff because they only talk about these characters when the need arrives. I like how people in the comments are dragging them.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    This is awesome! I'm going to use this as my wallpaper.

No, you're right. They should be giving minority characters more solo books. But baby steps. I like that they did this. It means they are aware and now hopefully, they'll do something about it. I could be wrong, but I don't think Marvel did anything like this?

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Happy Juneteenth

Happy Juneteenth everyone!

Now that I think about it more, DC should have had Superman, WW and Batman kneeling with them as a show of solidarity. It would have meant more. Unity is the ultimate goal we are looking for, so they should have put their big three in there as well.

BANNED

You wanted to be invited to the cookout-- This is the cookout.

If you're not actively anti-racist and anti-white supremacy, you're a part of the problem.

BANNED

Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-20-2020 at 12:30 PM.