Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Can we end this LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG ARC before Halloween get here please.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The codename doesn't make sense and is super problematic, and the costume just frankly doesn't hold up visually compared to her old looks in terms of a dynamic and memorable visual.
    Well, I'm sure Orphan made sense when Cass was first reintroduced, because New 52 Shiva was also a teenager and therefore unrelated to her. Am I right in thinking that they just said her parents were dead, thus, she was an orphan? Now though, classic Shiva is back as is their relationship. The moment that happened, Cass needed a new name. Frankly, she should've been rebranded in Detective Comics Rebirth.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    Can we end this LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG ARC before Halloween get here please.
    I hope so, but I have doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, I'm sure Orphan made sense when Cass was first reintroduced, because New 52 Shiva was also a teenager and therefore unrelated to her. Am I right in thinking that they just said her parents were dead, thus, she was an orphan? Now though, classic Shiva is back as is their relationship. The moment that happened, Cass needed a new name. Frankly, she should've been rebranded in Detective Comics Rebirth.
    Particularly after finding out she used to be Batgirl...

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I really like the latest issue, I feel like this is ramping up to some important changes for Black Lightning, and I'm all for it!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I've read the first 7 issues and don't feel the book. It reads almost like it wishes it were an X-Men title. Is that intentionally done by Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I've read the first 7 issues and don't feel the book. It reads almost like it wishes it were an X-Men title. Is that intentionally done by Hill?
    I don't think it's intentional, Hill had just happened to also be writing an X-book when this title first dropped. I haven't read it but i remember hearing that this was the superior Hill book of the two. admittedly, I've never gotten an X-men vibe from this book tho and I'm not seeing the parallel, mind elaborating?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-30-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I don't think it's intentional, Hill had just happened to also be writing an X-book while he when this title first dropped. I haven't read it but i remember hearing that this was the superior Hill book of the two. admittedly, I've never gotten an X-men vibe from this book tho and I'm not seeing the parallel, mind elaborating?
    There's a Cable moment/cliffhanger early on but done as a joke I guess? Black Lightning kinda feels like field leader Logan/Storm watching his teenage army... I didn't know about Hill and X-Men but it fits. Not a fan of the art, maybe I'm too old for that. My opinion is if you connect Outsiders to Batman you need more crime genre/horror genre/espionage elements. Superheroics and Sci Fi won't do. If you liked Tynion's TEC you probably end up liking Outsiders. I've tried them both and move on for budget reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    There's a Cable moment/cliffhanger early on but done as a joke I guess? Black Lightning kinda feels like field leader Logan/Storm watching his teenage army... I didn't know about Hill and X-Men but it fits. Not a fan of the art, maybe I'm too old for that. My opinion is if you connect Outsiders to Batman you need more crime genre/horror genre/espionage elements. Superheroics and Sci Fi won't do. If you liked Tynion's TEC you probably end up liking Outsiders. I've tried them both and move on for budget reasons.
    I think both are team books in the same spirit of the X-Men (albeit admittedly in Tynion's case with 'Tec).

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I don't think it's intentional, Hill had just happened to also be writing an X-book when this title first dropped. I haven't read it but i remember hearing that this was the superior Hill book of the two. admittedly, I've never gotten an X-men vibe from this book tho and I'm not seeing the parallel, mind elaborating?
    Yeah, he was writing Fallen Angels. Which was poor, with a complete ignorance of X-23's history (her sister Gabby who was established in All-New Wolverine wasn't even mentioned, which is out of character for Laura) while Cable was written in a way that contradicts how Hickman was using him.

Batman and the Outsiders is a much better book, and looks like it's about to do some course correction on Cassandra Cain.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think both are team books in the same spirit of the X-Men (albeit admittedly in Tynion's case with 'Tec).
    Wildstorm: Michael Cray made me pick up Outsiders. Really liked Hill's Cray but that doesn't belong in this thread

Bump with an article on the current roster : https://www.cbr.com/batman-new-outsiders-dangerous/

Ultimate Member

While I've always liked the concept, I've always found myself disappointed with the execution.

This series especially, as it feels like to me we barely have any new or meaningful interactions among the cast. Rather, Duke and Cass stay in their corner, and Katana and BL stay in theirs

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Hill has mentioned that his next plan for the book (should it survive) does involve stuff for Duke, which I know will please some posters here, especially lemonpeace. Hope it's dope and his fans respond well. Hell, I hope Hill can make me one. I buy this book for Jefferson, Tatsu and Dexter Soy's art. Everything else is a bonus.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Hill has mentioned that his next plan for the book (should it survive) does involve stuff for Duke, which I know will please some posters here, especially lemonpeace. Hope it's dope and his fans respond well. Hell, I hope Hill can make me one. I buy this book for Jefferson, Tatsu and Dexter Soy's art. Everything else is a bonus.
    My problem isn't that Duke hasn't done stuff.

It's that he's only interacting with the same people (Cass, Bats and now Shiva) over and over. It feels like the new Outsiders are walled off from the old ones, for whatever reason.