Page 67 of 93 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1389

There are a number of big changes that took place among DC’s flagship franchises that were seemingly done to lead up to 5G. I’m wondering if a lot of stuff will be rebooted after Death Metal.

Superman reveals his identity to the world which apparently would have lead to a Smallville becoming a massive tourist attraction in the future and Jon creating his own Fortress there.

Alfred is killed which promotes Lucius Fox to be Batman’s right hand man. Lucius’ “promotion” could have definitely opened the door for his son Luke to take up the Bat mantle.

Wonder Woman having her origin changed which has her arriving around WWII and becoming the first superhero.

Diana’s situation is going to stick but I’m curious to see if Alfred’s death and Superman revealing his secret identity are retconned.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    There are a number of big changes that took place among DC’s flagship franchises that were seemingly done to lead up to 5G. I’m wondering if a lot of stuff will be rebooted after Death Metal.

Superman reveals his identity to the world which apparently would have lead to a Smallville becoming a massive tourist attraction in the future and Jon creating his own Fortress there.

Alfred is killed which promotes Lucius Fox to be Batman’s right hand man. Lucius’ “promotion” could have definitely opened the door for his son Luke to take up the Bat mantle.

Wonder Woman having her origin changed which has her arriving around WWII and becoming the first superhero.

Diana’s situation is going to stick but I’m curious to see if Alfred’s death and Superman revealing his secret identity are retconned.
    I have no doubt that Alfred and Superman's secret ID will be back at some point, but, for the foreseeable future, the creators are going to be playing with that status quo until it stops producing interesting stories, then they'll time shenanigans it away again, just like Doomsday Clock explained.

I think Diana being a Golden Ager again is gonna stick for a very long time to come though thanks to how popular and well received both Linda Carter and Gal Gadot's versions have been. We'll probably see a modern day origin for Wonder Woman in a decade or so, but not anytime soon, particularly after Rucka already did it.

Honestly, pop cultural osmosis aside, I don't think people are too worked up about Wonder Woman's origin being set in WWII. I don't think that's somehow going to deliver a stronger origin or point of reference for the character then Year One did, and that was set in the modern day.

And linking it to the JSA just feels kind of gimmicky to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly, pop cultural osmosis aside, I don't think people are too worked up about Wonder Woman's origin being set in WWII. I don't think that's somehow going to deliver a stronger origin or point of reference for the character then Year One did, and that was set in the modern day.

And linking it to the JSA just feels kind of gimmicky to me.
    The big caveat is, I don’t see Snyder being a better WW writer than Rucka. If he’s the one who is actually going to handle Diana’s WWII adventures, I really hope he brings his A-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The big caveat is, I don’t see Snyder being a better WW writer than Rucka. If he’s the one who is actually going to handle Diana’s WWII adventures, I really hope he brings his A-game.
    I think it's just going to be too tied to the JSA to really standout for Diana otherwise.

I'm pretty sure Diana being a Golden Ager wasn't done for her sake, but for the JSA's.

Being the first superhero hasn't really made much of a difference for Superman these last few years; it's changed neither his sales nor his status nor his characterization, and it's not gonna help Diana any either (especially since she *isn't* the first hero; even Dick Grayson has been around longer). But her involvement with the JSA will likely help them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I always thought the Wonder Woman thing was because in the Golden Age she was with the JSA in its early days and in the 70’s on Earth 2, so I imagine outside of making Hippolyta WW2 Wonder Woman again that since Diana is immortal they would add Wonder Woman back to the JSA for posterity sake. I’m sure they would have done the same to Superman and Batman but unfortunately neither of them have immortality like she does so it wouldn’t work for those characters without some serious retconning and aging.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm pretty sure Diana being a Golden Ager wasn't done for her sake, but for the JSA's.

Being the first superhero hasn't really made much of a difference for Superman these last few years; it's changed neither his sales nor his status nor his characterization, and it's not gonna help Diana any either (especially since she *isn't* the first hero; even Dick Grayson has been around longer). But her involvement with the JSA will likely help them.
    I think if anyone should be made a core center of the JSA, it's Stargirl, but that's just me.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Immortality being part of who Wonder Woman is works fine for me.

Wonder Woman is important today, but I want her first encounter with Steve Trevor, Ace Pilot, to happen during a World War against the God of War.

Morrison's Wonder Woman is set in the modern age, too. And doing an interesting job of it.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    No for both of those, Wally failed thanks to Batman who laughs.
    I don't know why I find this concept really funny. Like Ted Kord dead because no one trusted him and Babs crippled by The Joker should be funny for Batman Who Laughs but he keeps the New 52 anyway just to troll Wally because that's funnier

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Alfred can easily be returned, and, in principle, the 94th issue to some extent could even hint at this possibility. Lucius left his position, someone, obviously, will take her later. But on the other hand, it could be Tim or Barbara.
    Regarding Superman, they can generally retcon retcon entire run or most of it, and Death Metal allows them to do it easy. And they have their reasons, many people don't like it, most fans don't enjoy Bendis’s decisions, sales are not like awesome ones (but there is a need to have accurate data) and main direction was 5G, which is out of equasion right now. Marvel, as I remember, had such a thing that they later had to undo everything Bendis did, so there would be nothing new. Especially if DC will want a fresh start.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Immortality being part of who Wonder Woman is works fine for me.
    I like the idea that Diana was immortal on Themyscira but chose to give some of it up in order to come to Man's World when she was the equivalent of 18 so there's a coming of age element to the origin.
    Wonder Woman is important today, but I want her first encounter with Steve Trevor, Ace Pilot, to happen during a World War against the God of War.
    I think Steve Trevor should very much be the reason Diana comes to Man's World, and Ares in the background, but Year One proves you don't need it to involve a proper World War.

Now she's apparently had to come back to Man's World on two separate occasions and the writers have to figure out how Steve and her supporting cast/villains fit in.

I like the idea that Diana was immortal on Themyscira but chose to give some of it up in order to come to Man's World when she was the equivalent of 18 so there's a coming of age element to the origin.
    Too young for me. I want her a peer of Batman and Superman, so early-to-mid 20s when she debuts (which should be shortly after them). She shouldn't be coming of age when they are already indisputably men. I enjoyed that element of Diana in the movie, don't get me wrong, but I would want a Diana who is to that degree still a child/naive in the actual comics. There are plenty of other heroes much more suited the coming of age stories. The ones that didn't start as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Too young for me. I want her a peer of Batman and Superman, so early-to-mid 20s when she debuts (which should be shortly after them). She shouldn't be coming of age when they are already indisputably men. I enjoyed that element of Diana in the movie, don't get me wrong, but I would want a Diana who is to that degree still a child/naive in the actual comics. There are plenty of other heroes much more suited the coming of age stories. The ones that didn't start as adults.
    There didn't seem to be much difference when the Trinity actually met in Ruck's depiction of their first meeting, so with how she is nebulously age-wise I don't think it's much of an issue beyond the fact that she debuts after they do.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    That Teen Titans picture was bugging me ("When did the Titans fight Grodd, and why is Grodd so prominent in a Titans picture?"), until I realized that it's probably supposed to be Beast Boy, and the colorist goofed.
    LOL I had the same thought about Grodd.
    Funny you caught it and the editor didn't.