Page 505 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 540545549550150250350450550650750850951555560510051505 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 75153

Lost on the frontline: 922 US healthcare worker deaths are under investigation by the Guardian and KHN. Did they have to die?

As of 11 August, our journalists have profiled 167 health workers and included them in our database. Read their stories below.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Not trying to bash Biden by any means so please don't take this as an attack. But I have been wondering this last week what it says about him as a candidate that there is more focus on his VP choice and that his VP seems like she will play a bigger role in the campaign the he will. I mean for what seems like forever the news is not talking about his policies it plans. But his VP choice and what the VP will do.
    I hope Biden does the right thing and chooses a candidate based on actual qualifications and not gender/race. (Although in this day and age, I highly doubt it)

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...onday/2320365/

“That is reparations,” Atkins said. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.”

“I don’t care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy’s or a Nike store, because that makes sure that person eats,” said Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer, according to NBC Chicago. “That makes sure that person has clothes.”

Racism ties for the second thing in the world that gets me angry, but this is seriously twisted and not right. Looters aren't going to rent U-Haul Trucks and ram cars into a Tesla dealership to 'survive'

It's one extreme left vs extreme right. I consider myself in the middle and really hoping I'm not an endangered species.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 08-11-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Why Is China Coming After Americans Like Me in the U.S.?

WASHINGTON — On Thursday, July 30, I fell asleep watching reruns of “Law and Order.” The next morning, I woke up a fugitive.

Chinese state television said that the Hong Kong authorities had issued arrest warrants for six activists who promote democracy for that supposedly semi-autonomous region.

I was one of the six. The charges? “Inciting secession” and “colluding with foreign powers” — part of the National Security Law imposed on July 1 by the Chinese Communist Party. Both crimes are punishable by up to life in prison.

It doesn’t matter that I’ve been an American citizen for 25 years — having left Hong Kong in 1990 to live in the United States.
    I had violated Article 38 of the new law, which states: “This Law shall apply to offenses under this Law committed against the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region from outside the Region by a person who is not a permanent resident of the Region.”

In other words, every provision of this law — which was concocted in Beijing and enacted without the Hong Kong legislature — applies to everyone outside of Hong Kong. Nobody is beyond the law’s reach, not me in the United States, and certainly not the estimated 85,000 Americans living and working in Hong Kong itself.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I hope Biden does the right thing and chooses a candidate based on actual qualifications and not gender/race. (Although in this day and age, I highly doubt it)

“That is reparations,” Atkins said. “Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance.”

“I don’t care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy’s or a Nike store, because that makes sure that person eats,” said Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer, according to NBC Chicago. “That makes sure that person has clothes.”

Racism ties for the second thing in the world that gets me angry, but this is seriously twisted and not right. Looters aren't going to rent U-Haul Trucks and ram cars into a Tesla dealership to 'survive'

It's one extreme left vs extreme right. I consider myself in the middle and really hoping I'm not an endangered species.
    Despite what you think that is happening. The issue has been if you are not a certain demographic-you are automatically unqualified. Resume be DANGED.

You are not picking the best person if you exclude folks. We have had women get named VP candidates before so its not a new thing.

Also not every black person agrees with the antics of BLM and ESPECIALLY that group that feels entitled to loot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I said it to someone who was surprised when Trump said to inject yourself with disenfectant, "Who would think that a guy who claims windmills cause cancer and that we should be getting back to putting asbestos in buildings would be so ignorant about medicine?"
    I like what Hillary said. Something along the lines of "don't take medical advice from a man who looked directly at an eclipse".

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post

All the top choices are very qualified, so that is a non issue.

I would also not take what one person associated with BLM says as a stance for the whole cause.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Okay it’s down to Harris and Rice

OH WBE-EEEeeeeeeeeeee...

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/12...405215233?s=21

Referring to Hitler with the honorific “Führer.” Saying a visit to Hitler’s vacation home where he planned out unspeakable atrocities as a “bucket list” moment...as if it’s a visit to the Grand Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Okay it’s down to Harris and Rice
    If it is down to either Rice or Harris, the one Biden chooses may reflect on his initial priorities, or at least where he sees his own weaknesses are and needs someone to balance him out. Harris - dealing with issues at home, policing, economy, health and welfare, domestic terrorism, etc.; Rice - Dealing with issues abroad, Putin, China, relations with historical allies, etc.

1/ #KanyeConJob UPDATE

The attorneys for @kanyewest
    filed his response to the two challenges filed against him at the end of last week.

It is a treasure trove of jaw-dropping arguments.

Long thread coming ...
    Twitter Link

How Stephen Miller Turned the Department of Homeland Security Into a Political Weapon

In March of 2016, Donald J. Trump’s campaign for the Republican presidential nomination was in trouble. His poll numbers were collapsing, and he was repeatedly the subject of jokes on major TV networks and elsewhere for his attacks on women, Muslims, and Mexicans. Fox News criticized his “extreme, sick obsession” with Megyn Kelly. “The bottom is dropping out for Donald Trump,” read one article on NBC News. Even immigration hard-liners weren’t sure about the reality-TV star. They knew his promised border wall was a costly, impractical symbol; for decades, border barriers had underwhelmed in their ability to decrease immigration.

Stephen Miller had a plan, though. Trump’s lanky 30-year-old senior policy adviser and speechwriter had connections in the Border Patrol and ICE unions from his time derailing a bipartisan immigration reform bill as communications director for then–Alabama Senator (soon-to-be Attorney General) Jeff Sessions. Miller reached out to the Border Patrol union’s president, Brandon Judd. It was the first in a long chain of decisions that would help transform the Department of Homeland Security—with its mandate to defend against everything from terrorism to pandemics—into a tool for pushing Trump’s political agenda, focused on strangling legal immigration and social justice causes.

When Trump became president, Miller went to work. It should be no surprise, then, that less than four years later the Department of Homeland Security is openly defying a US Supreme Court decision to maintain Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), an Obama-era deportation protection program for people brought to this country as children. The DHS has also been cracking down on anti-racist protesters at demonstrations in Democratic-run cities that began after George Floyd was murdered. The department has become a partisan weapon largely detached from its mission of protecting homeland security.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    If it is down to either Rice or Harris, the one Biden chooses may reflect on his initial priorities, or at least where he sees his own weaknesses are and needs someone to balance him out. Harris - dealing with issues at home, policing, economy, health and welfare, domestic terrorism, etc.; Rice - Dealing with issues abroad, Putin, China, relations with historical allies, etc.
    A pity there isn't a candidate who combines the best of Harris and Rice. While both are eminently worthy of being Biden's running mate, my choice would be Harris, mainly because the numerous and glaring issues here at home need to take priority before we go about repairing our badly tattered reputation abroad which should be handled by whoever replaces Pompous Pompeo as Secretary of State.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I've read the thread and felt the need to take a shower after I finished. West and his Republican handlers (or rather, puppet masters) are pulling a first class scam to fool blacks into wasting their votes on CONye. Disgusting!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

In July, She The People, which advocates for women of color, outlined concerns about Biden's outreach to women of color, particularly in battleground states.
    "Failing to select a Black woman in 2020 means you will lose the election," the letter continued. "We don't want to choose between the lesser of two evils and we don't want to vote for the devil we know versus the devil we don't because we are tired of voting for devils – period."
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Someone is bringing up that folks are tired of voting for the lousy options?

Way to be incredibly late to the party, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Where does Strider say Biden is a lousy choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Where have I said that is the person in question?

The piece seems pretty pretty clear about who is saying what.
    To be fair.

The majority of the article was about a petition that, I'm assuming She The People may have advocated for, and participated in, but did not create.
    The quote was probably collected to paint the picture of frustration that led to the petition.

The words expressed by She The People concerning evils and devils probably doesn't represent the entire voting bloc of black voters.
    I merely included it because it was of interest to me.

The reason it's of interest is because it depicts an outspoken section of the DNC base that is essentially threatening to "take their ball and go home" if they're not represented.
    Something Progressives are often hated, lambasted, and ridiculed for wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I've said this before and I'll keep on saying it: retaking the Senate is every bit as important as the White House, because Biden winning the presidency will be meaningless if McConnell is still around to be a human roadblock. There has to be a clean sweep of the GOP scum in the Senate if this country is to recover.
    But WPP, isn't the GOP destroying American Democracy and the Democrats not doing everything progressives want the same thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Progressives! Pfft! Spare me! The only progressives I care about are Flo and Jamie, and they have lots more sense than those yahoos.
    Case in point.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post

Case in point.
    Are you not getting the sarcasm here?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Are you not getting the sarcasm here?
    No, I'm not.

Two major reasons why:
    • Liberal hatred for Progressives isn't even thinly-veiled anymore. It's out in the open
    • Sarcasm can be difficult to identify through text.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)