Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I see. Still wondering if they're going to have a different character be Batwoman in the TV show.
    I think if Ryan is popular she should be in the comics. Mary Hamilton would also be a good addition to the cast as the team's doctor but I don't know how they'd fit her into continuity

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    I think if Ryan is popular she should be in the comics.
    As Batwoman? Or as a character with her own mantle and support cast?

Because at the moment she's setup to use Kate's family, and even her Batsuit. The various Batgirls all have a distinctly different look to their Batsuits, largely involving color scheme.

Replacing Kate as Batwoman in the comics means either killing her just to make room for Ryan, disabling her just to make room for Ryan, or giving her a new mantle just to make room for Ryan. See how that ultimately worked out with Barbara Gordon and Barry Allen - because they eventually got their mantles back, with Kate it would be the same. Ryan would have to get her own mantle eventually anyway, so better to just start with one.

Compare to other relative newbies Duke Thomas and Harper Row:
    -Own unique mantle and suit
    -Own support cast
    -Own niche in the Bat-Family: Duke has powers and works by daylight, Harper knows electrical engineering
    -Not a direct replacement of any existing character: which means they didn't come at the expense of an existing fanbase

Mary Hamilton would also be a good addition to the cast as the team's doctor but I don't know how they'd fit her into continuity
    Mary Hamilton is a reinterpretation of Bette Kane, they can't co-exist unless one is rebooted into the other. They could both be from different Earths, but that would require an ongoing of that other Earth.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When and where is Mary Hamilton? The Batwoman TV series?

I randomly remember... Young Justice Bette is older than Dick... but not by much she assured him

What's the age difference in the comic, if they have any? The impression I got in the Silver Age she's the same age

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    When and where is Mary Hamilton? The Batwoman TV series?
    TV series, Kate's step-sister and Catherine Hamilton's daughter (the tv version).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post

Because at the moment she's setup to use Kate's family, and even her Batsuit. The various Batgirls all have a distinctly different look to their Batsuits, largely involving color scheme.

Replacing Kate as Batwoman in the comics means either killing her just to make room for Ryan, disabling her just to make room for Ryan, or giving her a new mantle just to make room for Ryan. See how that ultimately worked out with Barbara Gordon and Barry Allen - because they eventually got their mantles back, with Kate it would be the same. Ryan would have to get her own mantle eventually anyway, so better to just start with one.

-Own support cast
    -Own niche in the Bat-Family: Duke has powers and works by daylight, Harper knows electrical engineering
    -Not a direct replacement of any existing character: which means they didn't come at the expense of an existing fanbase

Mary Hamilton is a reinterpretation of Bette Kane, they can't co-exist unless one is rebooted into the other. They could both be from different Earths, but that would require an ongoing of that other Earth.
    Ryan should be a separate hero. They could fit Mary in as a Hamilton relative. We know very little about Catherine Hamilton's family so you could slot Mary in there.

How I would fix Bette's backstory - make her Kate and Beth's little sister. Done. Still works with Kate's overprotectiveness, and Bette's always looking up to Kate. One of the side-effects would probably be an added level of brooding about also having a dead mother, but as is Bette doesn't seem like she has any parents at all, so.

[Edit] And I realise that creates other problems, but would still be clearer in a few ways.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 09-22-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Incredible Member

How I would fix Bette's backstory - make her Kate and Beth's little sister. Done. Still works with Kate's overprotectiveness, and Bette's always looking up to Kate. One of the side-effects would probably be an added level of brooding about also having a dead mother, but as is Bette doesn't seem like she has any parents at all, so.

[Edit] And I realise that creates other problems, but would still be clearer in a few ways.
    No I don't want Bette to be Kate's little sister. I always saw Bette as the outsider of the Kane family which is why she latched so hard onto Kathy. Personally I'd just reveal that Bette's parents are super neglectful

No I don't want Bette to be Kate's little sister. I always saw Bette as the outsider of the Kane family which is why she latched so hard onto Kathy. Personally I'd just reveal that Bette's parents are super neglectful
    Extremely neglectful, since they weren't even shown to turn-up in Gotham to visit her in hospital back when she was comatose, in Batwoman's first solo series.

Incredible Member

Extremely neglectful, since they weren't even shown to turn-up in Gotham to visit her in hospital back when she was comatose, in Batwoman's first solo series.
    Personally my head canon is that she was an accidental pregnancy between her father and his girlfriend. They didn't particularly want her so they let her nanny raise her. When she was old enough they sent her to spend the summers with Kane relatives in Gotham where Bette became extremely fond of Kathy who doted on her and treated her like a daughter. Side note, I have a head canon that when Kathy faked her death she left everything to Bette including her Batcave

Her mother did show up off-panel to discuss harvesting Bette's organs once they took her off life-support, though.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Her mother did show up off-panel to discuss harvesting Bette's organs once they took her off life-support, though.
    i do not remember this.

i do not remember this.
    Issue #11.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Somehow that makes it feel worse.

Incredible Member

Somehow that makes it feel worse.
    yeah bette's parents are probably super neglectful which is why she doesn't talk about them.

Astonishing Member

-Own support cast

The mantle doesn't always return to the first person. I mean, Barbara wasn't the first Batgirl, the first Batgirl was technically Betty (although she was Bat-Girl).

You know, I wouldn't use Duke and Harper as an example to introduce succesful characters. I mean, I really understand fans of other characters are happy that they don't interfere with their favorite, but I don't think many writers have so much interest on these characters (especially Harper).

In any case, they would be proof that the lack of a recognizable mantle means writers won't have so much interest on them.