Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Very short teaser for season 5 that only hints a teeny tiny bit at things to come. But still, it's always nice to see.

What are you guys most looking forward to next season? Me:
    - Everything with the Todoroki family.
    - Shigaraki's flashback. How much will they be able to show?
    - In general just everything with My Villain Academia.
    - Both Izuku and Bakugo's matches in the Joint Training arc. Izuku's because of all the crazy things that happen in, and Bakugo's because I hope that they just burn through it with some awesome animation and his theme song blaring during it all.
    I'm looking forward to the Joint Training arc, seeing more of Class 1-A and 1-B and Shinso should be good.

Very short teaser for season 5 that only hints a teeny tiny bit at things to come. But still, it's always nice to see.

What are you guys most looking forward to next season? Me:
    - Everything with the Todoroki family.
    - Shigaraki's flashback. How much will they be able to show?
    - In general just everything with My Villain Academia.
    - Both Izuku and Bakugo's matches in the Joint Training arc. Izuku's because of all the crazy things that happen in, and Bakugo's because I hope that they just burn through it with some awesome animation and his theme song blaring during it all.
    If my prediction of the timing is correct, they should be able to get through all of the Joint Training, My Villain Academia, and the Endeavor Agency in this season, so if that's the case, it would really nice to see the first and last episodes of the season bookended with the Todoroki family drama, have a nice overall symmetry to the narrative.

I'm so excited to see Black Whip visualized, especially since that is now my absolute favourite Quirk, but also cause they do such an amazing job with the OFA electric sparks, that throwing in the black tendrils has the potential to be so incredibly cool looking.

And of course, everything in My Villain Academia will be great. They've shown to be really good at pacing, and now I think they'll be able to handle the best way of distributing their resources across the season. I'm also curious to see how just far they can get away with in the flashbacks, I think because it is mostly bloodless they'll probably be fine. Toga's "big attack" is probably the most blood in the arc.

Also, as a dub watcher, I'm very interested to see who they are going to cast for the next new characters, the first successor of One For All (who I believe hasn't spoken yet), Daigoro Banjo, Re-Destro, Skeptic, Curious, Geten, Trumpet, the Shimuras, Burnin, and Ending. Also getting to hear 1B class speak alot more, since they already have a pretty decent list of actors assigned to each of them. And based on his appearance in Heroes Rising, I liked how the Doctor's voice was handled so want to hear more of that (even though in the back of my head I wish they got Mike Pollock for it lol)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    If my prediction of the timing is correct, they should be able to get through all of the Joint Training, My Villain Academia, and the Endeavor Agency in this season, so if that's the case, it would really nice to see the first and last episodes of the season bookended with the Todoroki family drama, have a nice overall symmetry to the narrative.

I'm so excited to see Black Whip visualized, especially since that is now my absolute favourite Quirk, but also cause they do such an amazing job with the OFA electric sparks, that throwing in the black tendrils has the potential to be so incredibly cool looking.

And of course, everything in My Villain Academia will be great. They've shown to be really good at pacing, and now I think they'll be able to handle the best way of distributing their resources across the season. I'm also curious to see how just far they can get away with in the flashbacks, I think because it is mostly bloodless they'll probably be fine. Toga's "big attack" is probably the most blood in the arc.

Also, as a dub watcher, I'm very interested to see who they are going to cast for the next new characters, the first successor of One For All (who I believe hasn't spoken yet), Daigoro Banjo, Re-Destro, Skeptic, Curious, Geten, Trumpet, the Shimuras, Burnin, and Ending. Also getting to hear 1B class speak alot more, since they already have a pretty decent list of actors assigned to each of them. And based on his appearance in Heroes Rising, I liked how the Doctor's voice was handled so want to hear more of that (even though in the back of my head I wish they got Mike Pollock for it lol)
    That would actually be really cool. Assuming we don't get a recap episode and that they jump right into the aftermath of Endeavor's fight with Hood, we'll get the introduction of the main Todoroki family conflict and then they end on Endeavor's solution to that conflict he's created. That would be really freaking clever. Although, I do hope that the final epilogue bit is Deku mentioning the day the the heroes disappeared. Just to have all the anime only viewers freaking out. That'd be fun.

Toga's big move is definitely not the big batch of blood in the arc. When tiny Tenko activate Decay for the first time there's a lot of blood on screen, especially for the mother. Though that can probaby be censored into bloodless decaying effect and still be quite horrifying.

There are a lot of new voices this season. It'll be fun to see them all and what they sound like. I think that Daigoro Banjo is the one I'm most excited for in that regard. I want him to have a loud booming voice.

Chapter officially came out today, releasing slightly earlier this week, which is great, because damn was I not expecting where this ended up going.

spoilers:
    Midoryia puts the rest of the heroes back on the ground while using Float and Black Whip to keep Shigaraki up in the sky, allowing him unable to use Decay. Bakugo cries out for Midoryia to get out of there due to being in danger with Aizawa taken out, but he stays vigilant ready to fight. Bakugo then thinks back to sometime within the past 2 months before the war.

Sero, Uraraka, and Tsuyu join in Midoryia, Bakugo, and All Might's training exercises, wanting Sero and Tsuyu's tips on how to capture opponents more easily, and Uraraka's advice on how to remain airborne (in order to best control Float). While he's training, Bakugo has a conversation with All Might about how they'll have to deal with the aftermath once Midoryia's multiple quirks become more well known and obvious. Bakugo then points out that notes regarding the 4th OFA successor (the scarred man), including supposedly his quirk, was scribbled out in the notebook, and that there is something regarding it and OFA that All Might is hiding from them. Bakugo then admits how he bullied Midoryia over the weaknesses he felt about himself, with All Might pointing out helping him out now is part of his atonement, likening him to Endeavor.

Back on the battlefield, Bakugo and Endeavor charge to chase after him while Midoryia continues to pound everything he's got on Shigaraki, ending things by blasting one last powerful punch to the gut in order to end things "Whatever the consequences..."
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Okay got alot to unpack here. Firstly, YES Midoryia DID get advice from Sero and Uraraka (and Tsuyu too) on how to use his new quirks! I wasn't sure if this was something they were ever gonna show, so that's a very nice and welcome surprise. And it does mean Uraraka did have some connection to Float unlocking anyway lol (though I assume it hasn't been unlocked at this point and he's just practicing for the future).

Next, Bakugo reacting like an actual person again and expressing regret WHAAAAAAAAA!? Saying he trusts him, regretting how he acted toward him, going out of his way to help him in these situations as a way of making up to things. Even out on the battlefield he's genuinely showing his worry for his safety. It's just refreshing to see him lay down all of his thoughts like this without the needless screaming, the whole conversation between him and All Might in general was incredibly engaging and thought felt. Hoping if this development keeps up we can have him be much more consistently acting this way, kind of a dick, but not a complete a-hole.

And lastly, something is up with the 4th successor, seemingly about his Quirk, and that's both really exciting and really scary. We already knew about the 2nd & 3rd users being this weird mystery, but now you have All Might purposefully withholding information, and I honestly don't know what the answer could be. Going off his "Those who seek power aren't just villains" line earlier, and wanting to protect Midoryia and Bakugo, it makes me feel like the quirk might be something deadly or something that invites temptation in some way. I've also seem some people predict it may be something transformative in some way, based on the scarred man's appearance. At this point, as was teased earlier in the story, there might be some greater connection between All For One and One For All than we even initially realized.

Oh, and Afro Midoryia was not something I expected to EVER see.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Inversed; 09-18-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Okay got alot to unpack here. Firstly, YES Midoryia DID get advice from Sero and Uraraka (and Tsuyu too) on how to use his new quirks! I wasn't sure if this was something they were ever gonna show, so that's a very nice and welcome surprise. And it does mean Uraraka did have some connection to Float unlocking anyway lol (though I assume it hasn't been unlocked at this point and he's just practicing for the future).

Next, Bakugo reacting like an actual person again and expressing regret WHAAAAAAAAA!? Saying he trusts him, regretting how he acted toward him, going out of his way to help him in these situations as a way of making up to things. Even out on the battlefield he's genuinely showing his worry for his safety. It's just refreshing to see him lay down all of his thoughts like this without the needless screaming, the whole conversation between him and All Might in general was incredibly engaging and thought felt. Hoping if this development keeps up we can have him be much more consistently acting this way, kind of a dick, but not a complete a-hole.

And lastly, something is up with the 4th successor, seemingly about his Quirk, and that's both really exciting and really scary. We already knew about the 2nd & 3rd users being this weird mystery, but now you have All Might purposefully withholding information, and I honestly don't know what the answer could be. Going off his "Those who seek power aren't just villains" line earlier, and wanting to protect Midoryia and Bakugo, it makes me feel like the quirk might be something deadly or something that invites temptation in some way. I've also seem some people predict it may be something transformative in some way, based on the scarred man's appearance. At this point, as was teased earlier in the story, there might be some greater connection between All For One and One For All than we even initially realized.

Oh, and Afro Midoryia was not something I expected to EVER see.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

It's not quite what I was hoping for in terms of Deku training with Uraraka, but it's a start and I will take it. Sero and Tsuyu helping out also make sense and I do love it when the class just help out like this. I wonder if by the end of it all, Deku will be asking tips from every member of the class for all his quirks. And the three guest instructors call out Bakugo for being a jerk, which is always fun.

Speaking of. This is a good start for Bakugo's atonement. Just seeing his bullying acknowledged and that he regrets it but can't quite bring it up with Deku himself is very good progression. As is helping Deku out as best he can while still keeping his distance because he just doesn't understand certain parts of him. This is all great introspection on Bakugo's end and it has the story acknowledge the situation without resolving it and leaving room for development. Very good writing. All Might seems to have learned from his relationship with Endeavor as well, and is doing a good job of applying what he learned from that here. This nice rather quiet teacher student moment was a good little pause in the chaotic action we've seen for several months now.

I do like that Horikoshi is setting up a potential future story arc in that there's more to the previous holders than what me might've initially thought. We've been told that most of them were chosen in desperate times right before the death of the previous holder. So it might not always have been a typical hero who inherited the power. Number 4 might've been an anti-hero with grander schemes of his own. And who knows what his quirk could've been. My first guess would be that it's something that's only used to kill/hurt/maim other people and now it's been beefed up by One For All. So All Might is making sure he's got everything right in figuring out how to deal with this quirk. I'm also impressed by All Might's information gathering skills, I thought for sure that they'd have to rely on the vestiges for information, but he's done his home work.

I'd also like to bring up how Deku is performing right now. He's using Float's basic mechanic of staying airborn while keeping mobile with Black Whip and just unleashing hell with his smashes. That alone is a nasty combo that would've messed up most characters in the story by now. Lifting 8 to 9 people with Black Whip is pushing it at this point but just doing it for a second or two is a great clutch move to have, and though he's messing himself up with 100% smashes he's been firing off several in this battle. All the while he's still calmly analyzing the situation and going at it logically. This kid is a goddamn beast!

And I've long had a sneaking suspicion that Horikoshi just likes to mess around with Deku's hair but doesn't get a lot of chances to do so.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    A nice surprise to get it early and with a training flashback. The training stuff was really good, I love that fact that they are willingly to help Deku; though hopefully Uraraka and Deku get some training time alone. The Bakugo stuff was really good and finally Bakugo's redemption can really begin. As for the mystery with number 4; I'm a bit iffy on; given we are pretty much at the final battle; is now really the time to introduce another mystery? Still I love how Deku is doing in this fight; though I wish Shoto would do more; he just arrived and is being sent off again.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    It's not quite what I was hoping for in terms of Deku training with Uraraka, but it's a start and I will take it. Sero and Tsuyu helping out also make sense and I do love it when the class just help out like this. I wonder if by the end of it all, Deku will be asking tips from every member of the class for all his quirks. And the three guest instructors call out Bakugo for being a jerk, which is always fun.

Speaking of. This is a good start for Bakugo's atonement. Just seeing his bullying acknowledged and that he regrets it but can't quite bring it up with Deku himself is very good progression. As is helping Deku out as best he can while still keeping his distance because he just doesn't understand certain parts of him. This is all great introspection on Bakugo's end and it has the story acknowledge the situation without resolving it and leaving room for development. Very good writing. All Might seems to have learned from his relationship with Endeavor as well, and is doing a good job of applying what he learned from that here. This nice rather quiet teacher student moment was a good little pause in the chaotic action we've seen for several months now.

I do like that Horikoshi is setting up a potential future story arc in that there's more to the previous holders than what me might've initially thought. We've been told that most of them were chosen in desperate times right before the death of the previous holder. So it might not always have been a typical hero who inherited the power. Number 4 might've been an anti-hero with grander schemes of his own. And who knows what his quirk could've been. My first guess would be that it's something that's only used to kill/hurt/maim other people and now it's been beefed up by One For All. So All Might is making sure he's got everything right in figuring out how to deal with this quirk. I'm also impressed by All Might's information gathering skills, I thought for sure that they'd have to rely on the vestiges for information, but he's done his home work.

I'd also like to bring up how Deku is performing right now. He's using Float's basic mechanic of staying airborn while keeping mobile with Black Whip and just unleashing hell with his smashes. That alone is a nasty combo that would've messed up most characters in the story by now. Lifting 8 to 9 people with Black Whip is pushing it at this point but just doing it for a second or two is a great clutch move to have, and though he's messing himself up with 100% smashes he's been firing off several in this battle. All the while he's still calmly analyzing the situation and going at it logically. This kid is a goddamn beast!

And I've long had a sneaking suspicion that Horikoshi just likes to mess around with Deku's hair but doesn't get a lot of chances to do so.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I do feel like, especially once all the other quirks emerge, all of Class 1A will learn, and fitting in with the theme the series has been setting up, they'll all be much more open with assisting each other and putting their variety of skills and abilities together for the greater good. Also yea, that little panel of Uraraka and Tsuyu beating on Bakugo for blowing him up is adorable.

It is good to hear that, while he appears he's helping with the training just to keep up with him, he is sincerely doing it to help him out, to make up for all the **** he put him through, and also that All Might knows Midoryia doesn't see it that way, all he cares about is being treated well/wanting a friend.

In one of the previous chapters where we saw that page of the 4th, 5th, and 6th users passing the power along, I've seen people comment that he appears more remorseful or upset compared to the other two, so it's possible he either did something he regretted, or has such a dangerous power he couldn't control thanks to OFA's boost that he was begging someone to take it. I feel like if there is a OFA user that's more on the anti-hero side, it might be the 2nd and 3rd, considering even OFA itself doesn't want to show Midoryia who they are yet. I am all for it being some dangerous or "villainous" quirk because then it allows Midoryia to grapple with how he can best use it in heroic situations (he'll have something else to bond with Shinso too lol)

On re-reads, it does look like he's been giving his arms, or at least one of them, a great beating, constantly pushing at 100%, even with using Black Whip as a brace. So in keeping with this whole arc where everyone is getting crippled beyond belief, I wouldn't be surprised if Midoryia's arm reaches the same fate too.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    A nice surprise to get it early and with a training flashback. The training stuff was really good, I love that fact that they are willingly to help Deku; though hopefully Uraraka and Deku get some training time alone. The Bakugo stuff was really good and finally Bakugo's redemption can really begin. As for the mystery with number 4; I'm a bit iffy on; given we are pretty much at the final battle; is now really the time to introduce another mystery? Still I love how Deku is doing in this fight; though I wish Shoto would do more; he just arrived and is being sent off again.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    To be fair, even though this feels like the climax, we're only really like halfway through the story, there's still 2 more school years to go through at the very least, and lots of other plot threads that need to be addressed here and there, so there's more to look forward to and be prepared for even once the battles done, which at this point seems to me is either Shigaraki getting locked up or hiding away somehow.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    To be fair, even though this feels like the climax, we're only really like halfway through the story, there's still 2 more school years to go through at the very least, and lots of other plot threads that need to be addressed here and there, so there's more to look forward to and be prepared for even once the battles done, which at this point seems to me is either Shigaraki getting locked up or hiding away somehow.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    To be fair, it seems hard to see how the story can continue for another two school years, given this does feel as the final battle, with the successors of All For One and One For All going at it. While it could be possible that Tomura might be get away and i it may run the risk of the storyline getting repetitive. If he is locked up, when that's it, he has been beaten.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    I do feel like, especially once all the other quirks emerge, all of Class 1A will learn, and fitting in with the theme the series has been setting up, they'll all be much more open with assisting each other and putting their variety of skills and abilities together for the greater good. Also yea, that little panel of Uraraka and Tsuyu beating on Bakugo for blowing him up is adorable.

It is good to hear that, while he appears he's helping with the training just to keep up with him, he is sincerely doing it to help him out, to make up for all the **** he put him through, and also that All Might knows Midoryia doesn't see it that way, all he cares about is being treated well/wanting a friend.

In one of the previous chapters where we saw that page of the 4th, 5th, and 6th users passing the power along, I've seen people comment that he appears more remorseful or upset compared to the other two, so it's possible he either did something he regretted, or has such a dangerous power he couldn't control thanks to OFA's boost that he was begging someone to take it. I feel like if there is a OFA user that's more on the anti-hero side, it might be the 2nd and 3rd, considering even OFA itself doesn't want to show Midoryia who they are yet. I am all for it being some dangerous or "villainous" quirk because then it allows Midoryia to grapple with how he can best use it in heroic situations (he'll have something else to bond with Shinso too lol)

On re-reads, it does look like he's been giving his arms, or at least one of them, a great beating, constantly pushing at 100%, even with using Black Whip as a brace. So in keeping with this whole arc where everyone is getting crippled beyond belief, I wouldn't be surprised if Midoryia's arm reaches the same fate too.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

A next step I want to see is combo moves from the students. They've helped each other and pulled off some solid double and triple acts in the past. But I want them to practice in some solid team manuvers together. Really hammer in that together they're more than the sum of their parts.

I've always thought that it felt weird that Izuku didn't harbour any animosity towards Bakugo at all after their childhood. So I do hope that when Bakugo eventually apologises for his **** behaviour that Izuku admits that at least some part of him did feel anger and hate for it all. But then he decided to just push past it because it wasn't part of who he wants to be as a person or a hero. We've seen some glimpses of this, but I would like a just clear cut "Yeah, part of me really hated you." kind of thing to just remind the audience that Izuku was affected by it.

There's also the theory that 2 and 3 are still alive and that's why their visages are still shadows compared to the rest. But All Might's spiritual form their contradicts that idea. Also, they'd probably be pretty darn old at this point.

Hmm, All Might's concerns start with 4, I wonder if he's been able to figure anything out about 2 and 3. I really want a detailed account of One For All's journey from the first holder's desperation through the murky unknowns of 2 to 4 and into the more gradually heroic efforts of the later holders.

It's a really good first round between them. Izuku pushing himself to bring Shigaraki down and wrecking his body while doing so, while Shigaraki's body is undercooked and he's still no entirely used to it. They're both super powerful, especially compared to their peers, but they have limitations that can be ironed out. Which is why...
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    To be fair, it seems hard to see how the story can continue for another two school years, given this does feel as the final battle, with the successors of All For One and One For All going at it. While it could be possible that Tomura might be get away and i it may run the risk of the storyline getting repetitive. If he is locked up, when that's it, he has been beaten.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I seriously doubt that this is the final battle. Especially between Deku and Shigaraki. This is just the first round. They can both get so much more powerful down the line. Deku by mastering all seven of his quirks and Shigaraki by stealing other quirks and letting his body get acclimated to itself after waking up too early.

Then we've got the mystery of One For All and the previous holders. The rest of the class needs some way better showings before the series ends. Dabi's whole mystery subplot is too intricate I feel to wrap up in just this fight. This fight will have a serious affect on how society views heroes that's well worth exploring. There are stories for quite some time still I think.

As for villains. There's always the chance of a new gang of bad guys showing up causing problems.
    end of spoilers

Currently reading Smash Vol 5. So far a fun read as always, shame it is the final volume

spoilers:

A next step I want to see is combo moves from the students. They've helped each other and pulled off some solid double and triple acts in the past. But I want them to practice in some solid team manuvers together. Really hammer in that together they're more than the sum of their parts.

I've always thought that it felt weird that Izuku didn't harbour any animosity towards Bakugo at all after their childhood. So I do hope that when Bakugo eventually apologises for his **** behaviour that Izuku admits that at least some part of him did feel anger and hate for it all. But then he decided to just push past it because it wasn't part of who he wants to be as a person or a hero. We've seen some glimpses of this, but I would like a just clear cut "Yeah, part of me really hated you." kind of thing to just remind the audience that Izuku was affected by it.

There's also the theory that 2 and 3 are still alive and that's why their visages are still shadows compared to the rest. But All Might's spiritual form their contradicts that idea. Also, they'd probably be pretty darn old at this point.

Hmm, All Might's concerns start with 4, I wonder if he's been able to figure anything out about 2 and 3. I really want a detailed account of One For All's journey from the first holder's desperation through the murky unknowns of 2 to 4 and into the more gradually heroic efforts of the later holders.

It's a really good first round between them. Izuku pushing himself to bring Shigaraki down and wrecking his body while doing so, while Shigaraki's body is undercooked and he's still no entirely used to it. They're both super powerful, especially compared to their peers, but they have limitations that can be ironed out. Which is why...
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Maybe that'll be the next big "School arc", learning combo moves and more intricate teamwork (though I guess also that's what Team-Up Missions is supposed to be about too). And speaking of combo moves, I did love seeing Midoryia and Bakugo do the Fast Ball Special in Heroes Rising. : P

I actually would say it is in character with Midoryia, who's always been naively optimistic and anxious to everyone, to not really hold a grudge against Bakugo, since like what he said during their fight after the License Exam, even through he hated some of the worst aspects of him insulting and looking down on people, he always admired his strength and outlook enough to look past it all.

I do think that when All Might eventually bites the dust, that'll be the point when their relationship will probably take the final turn, since not only will the deaths hit them both emotionally GREATLY, but then they will no longer have him as the intermediately who, even unintentionally, kept some of Bakugo's worst instincts at bay, meaning that they'll both have to tackle these emotions on their own, which should lead to some growth of him actually speaking his feelings to Midoryia personally. (Especially since they're doing that "remorseful bully" trope where the actions are hurting the bully more than the victim is feeling currently)

I have seen several theories about one or more of the OFA successors being Nomus, but like you said, the silhouettes do contradict with All Might's burning vestige, so it must be something else. There is also the question of how long exactly the time period was being the first OFA/AFO's beginning to now, especially since it seems to imply most of the successors had very short lifespans with the Quirk. Wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them only ended up having it for like less than a year.

My prediction is that we'll probably get some big "OFA arc", kinda in the same vein as the story of the First Avatar from Legend of Korra, where it's just a bunch of flashbacks showing the lives of each user, finally getting to learn all the information in one fell swoop. I mean, supposedly All Might put down all the information about the 6th user (Nana's master), but Hori still hasn't told us who they are or what their quirk is, so must be a reason why.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I seriously doubt that this is the final battle. Especially between Deku and Shigaraki. This is just the first round. They can both get so much more powerful down the line. Deku by mastering all seven of his quirks and Shigaraki by stealing other quirks and letting his body get acclimated to itself after waking up too early.

Then we've got the mystery of One For All and the previous holders. The rest of the class needs some way better showings before the series ends. Dabi's whole mystery subplot is too intricate I feel to wrap up in just this fight. This fight will have a serious affect on how society views heroes that's well worth exploring. There are stories for quite some time still I think.

As for villains. There's always the chance of a new gang of bad guys showing up causing problems.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm really thinking that the next major story arc will be Dabi vs. the Hero Public Safety Commission, since like you said, there's alot of major questions going on with him, not to mention all the answers he knows about that could rock everything the wrong way. Plus I think it would be really interesting narrative wise to have the heroes come out of this big life-or-death battle as a win, and then have everything crumble down by simply having certain lies and secrets exposed to the world. How does everyone react to learning that (possibly) the #1 hero's son is a villain, or that the #2 hero (supposedly) killed a fellow hero.
    end of spoilers

Currently reading Smash Vol 5. So far a fun read as always, shame it is the final volume
    It's a really fun series, just seeing the absolute ridiculous of the interpretations of the characters. Kurogiri as the doting parental figure to Shigaraki is my favourite. The ending really caught me off guard greatly, particularly because they actually gave it a story ending and didn't just stop like most gag books.
    Last edited by Inversed; 09-22-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Maybe that'll be the next big "School arc", learning combo moves and more intricate teamwork (though I guess also that's what Team-Up Missions is supposed to be about too). And speaking of combo moves, I did love seeing Midoryia and Bakugo do the Fast Ball Special in Heroes Rising. : P

I actually would say it is in character with Midoryia, who's always been naively optimistic and anxious to everyone, to not really hold a grudge against Bakugo, since like what he said during their fight after the License Exam, even through he hated some of the worst aspects of him insulting and looking down on people, he always admired his strength and outlook enough to look past it all.

I do think that when All Might eventually bites the dust, that'll be the point when their relationship will probably take the final turn, since not only will the deaths hit them both emotionally GREATLY, but then they will no longer have him as the intermediately who, even unintentionally, kept some of Bakugo's worst instincts at bay, meaning that they'll both have to tackle these emotions on their own, which should lead to some growth of him actually speaking his feelings to Midoryia personally. (Especially since they're doing that "remorseful bully" trope where the actions are hurting the bully more than the victim is feeling currently)

I have seen several theories about one or more of the OFA successors being Nomus, but like you said, the silhouettes do contradict with All Might's burning vestige, so it must be something else. There is also the question of how long exactly the time period was being the first OFA/AFO's beginning to now, especially since it seems to imply most of the successors had very short lifespans with the Quirk. Wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them only ended up having it for like less than a year.

My prediction is that we'll probably get some big "OFA arc", kinda in the same vein as the story of the First Avatar from Legend of Korra, where it's just a bunch of flashbacks showing the lives of each user, finally getting to learn all the information in one fell swoop. I mean, supposedly All Might put down all the information about the 6th user (Nana's master), but Hori still hasn't told us who they are or what their quirk is, so must be a reason why.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

Team Up Missions feels more like the cast are supposed to get used to working with people they usually don't associate with (which is why it's a bit disappointing that Bakugo and Izuku have appeared so often together, give me Bakugo and Shindo from the school Ms Joke works for or something like that damnit!) rather than explicitly training to perfect combo moves. Bakugo tossing Izuku like a missile was really cool. And I got a kick out of how Ochako and Sero evolved their impromptu team up from the license exam into a controlled meteor rain. That was pretty sick.

That is certainly a possiblity in regards to how Izuku sees the whole thing, and if I'm being honest it's probably more in character for him to thinks of it like that. But while one of my issues until with their relationship was that Bakugo hadn't admitted to being wrong for his **** behavior, my other main problem was that Izuku doesn't seem to have any animosity whatsoever for it all. Again, it's probably more in character and I do trust Horikoshi to handle it with the same satisfying grace he's done with the Todoroki family drama. But it's something I'm going to keep a close eye on.

I think All Might's death is quite far off though. So they may be able to go through quite a lot of character development before getting to that point. If/When he dies in a dramatic fashion it'll almost certainly start something within the two. But what that'll be will depend immensely on where they are at that point.

I just had a really dumb probably completely impossible thought that Shigaraki got his quirk from his family's connection to One For All. As in he inherited Decay from One For All. After all, we don't know what happens to kids whose parents have OFA. Maybe they can inherited one or more aspects of it, and even if it's dormant in one generation it might pop up in the next. And there's got to be some reason why the family quirk went from Float to Decay. Just a little crazy conspiracy type theory.

I would like an Avatar Wan style flashback. There's lots of potential goodness in that. Just seeing what kind of different people/heroes have used it would be sweet. I wonder if it'll be all in one go or more divided up. Because going through seven different journeys with OFA might be kind of a long story.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm really thinking that the next major story arc will be Dabi vs. the Hero Public Safety Commission, since like you said, there's alot of major questions going on with him, not to mention all the answers he knows about that could rock everything the wrong way. Plus I think it would be really interesting narrative wise to have the heroes come out of this big life-or-death battle as a win, and then have everything crumble down by simply having certain lies and secrets exposed to the world. How does everyone react to learning that (possibly) the #1 hero's son is a villain, or that the #2 hero (supposedly) killed a fellow hero.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

Not to mention that he could spill the beans on Endeavor's abuse. Which wouldn't just shake the trust in Endeavor has a hero and person, but probably put more pressure on the rest of the Todoroki family as they're hounded by the press. And if Shigaraki needs an extended break after this whole thing I can picture Dabi taking command of things. He and the doctor also seem like they can get along quite well.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:

Team Up Missions feels more like the cast are supposed to get used to working with people they usually don't associate with (which is why it's a bit disappointing that Bakugo and Izuku have appeared so often together, give me Bakugo and Shindo from the school Ms Joke works for or something like that damnit!) rather than explicitly training to perfect combo moves. Bakugo tossing Izuku like a missile was really cool. And I got a kick out of how Ochako and Sero evolved their impromptu team up from the license exam into a controlled meteor rain. That was pretty sick.

That is certainly a possiblity in regards to how Izuku sees the whole thing, and if I'm being honest it's probably more in character for him to thinks of it like that. But while one of my issues until with their relationship was that Bakugo hadn't admitted to being wrong for his **** behavior, my other main problem was that Izuku doesn't seem to have any animosity whatsoever for it all. Again, it's probably more in character and I do trust Horikoshi to handle it with the same satisfying grace he's done with the Todoroki family drama. But it's something I'm going to keep a close eye on.

I think All Might's death is quite far off though. So they may be able to go through quite a lot of character development before getting to that point. If/When he dies in a dramatic fashion it'll almost certainly start something within the two. But what that'll be will depend immensely on where they are at that point.

I just had a really dumb probably completely impossible thought that Shigaraki got his quirk from his family's connection to One For All. As in he inherited Decay from One For All. After all, we don't know what happens to kids whose parents have OFA. Maybe they can inherited one or more aspects of it, and even if it's dormant in one generation it might pop up in the next. And there's got to be some reason why the family quirk went from Float to Decay. Just a little crazy conspiracy type theory.

I would like an Avatar Wan style flashback. There's lots of potential goodness in that. Just seeing what kind of different people/heroes have used it would be sweet. I wonder if it'll be all in one go or more divided up. Because going through seven different journeys with OFA might be kind of a long story.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:

Not to mention that he could spill the beans on Endeavor's abuse. Which wouldn't just shake the trust in Endeavor has a hero and person, but probably put more pressure on the rest of the Todoroki family as they're hounded by the press. And if Shigaraki needs an extended break after this whole thing I can picture Dabi taking command of things. He and the doctor also seem like they can get along quite well.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I didn't think about it but that does make sense regarding Team-Up Missions mainly focusing on people who typically wouldn't work well together. Haven't read them yet but I know some of the other TUMs chapters involve Tokoyami with the 1B darkness guy, and another is Todoroki and Kaminari with Tornado and Potato dude from Shiketsu (I'm good at names lol). And then of course something like the Melissa and Mei chapter which is them directly competing.

I do think one issue they've had regarding the storytelling is they seemingly can't really decide how bad the bullying was. With Endeavor, they're very clear with the issue of what he did and how each of his victims are coping in their own way. Whereas with Bakugo, it seems like sometimes the bullying was just "typical childhood taunting and insults" where the two can't get along, which is why most fellow classmates and teachers don't really take it seriously, and then sometimes portrayed with the intent to actually hurt and wanting him to suffer for one reason or another. Also having Midoryia, who isn't really conflicted about his treatment, and moreso just waiting for the eventual moment where he'll learn to treat him like a person, versus the Todorokis who are all clearly conflicted about how to move forward which drives most of the drama, doesn't help in terms of how the two stories are handled.

I do agree that at this point, unless we take a sudden shift and Shigaraki makes a bee line for UA for some reason, All Might will survive into the 2nd school year.

Funny you mention that, because I've seen some people theorize that Decay was the 4th OFA successor's Quirk, which is the reason All Might scribbled it out. And while I don't care for the "All For One gave Tenko Decay" theory, I'd actually think this idea would redeem it. Since it makes sense AFO would try to steal the Quirks of the OFA successors, giving it to Tenko would be another ironic victory for him and his eyes, and it would create another parallel between him and Midoryia with both possessing this power. Plus, I think it would be extremely clever and powerful to see Midoryia struggle with now having this Quirk which all he knows is to cause death and destruction, and be able to turn it around and use it in heroic situations (think Aang learning fire bending).

That's what I'm incredibly curious to see, how would they handle writing the public finding out about Endeavor's history? Because I feel like this development could go a very different way from an Eastern perspective, versus a Western perspective. Especially bringing the family back in during their process of "moving on". I do think Dabi playing the victim might be at least the starting approach they can lean on to get it rolling.
    end of spoilers

Finished Smash Vol 5 and once again it was great. It's a shame it is over, hopefully we will see more of the Smash gang in the future

New chapter, one that I know ALOT will be talking about....

spoilers:
    We get a little flashback from right after the Muscular fight reminding Midoryia that if he keeps injuring his arms he may permanently lose the use of them, followed by him providing every explosive punch he has remaining in his body to wear Shigaraki down. The heroes back on the ground look in awe, but Bakugo knows he's gonna eventually run out of endurance against Shigaraki's regeneration. He grabs ahold of Endeavor and Todoroki, with the latter helping to cool his father down, and comes up with a plan to fly up to Shigaraki so Endeavor can use his final remaining power to end things.

Bakugo thinks back to the conversations with All Might about One For All, and the dangerous nature of the power, but also thinking about how the power created All Might, the hero he and Midoryia always looked up to, and allowed Midoryia to be this great hero he always talked about being. Bakugo throws Endeavor at Shigaraki, grabbing hold and unleashing a powerful Prominence Burn to finally destroy him for good.

But instead, the vestige of All For One returns, seemingly taking over his body, unleashing a series of black tendrils which stab right through Endeavor, and then head right for Midoryia, calling him "Little Brother"...until Bakugo blasts forward, pushing Midoryia out of the way and getting several stabs right through the side of his chest as he thinks how "his body just moved on his own..."
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Sooooooo damn. I knew when I saw this everybody was gonna be freaking out online and man I was right, now that's a shot to the gut to make people even more anxious. I think it's pretty safe to say he's not dead, and probably not gonna die soon...but that doesn't mean he's out of the clear for anything else bad happening, like getting seriously crippled or getting his quirk stolen.

I really loved everything with Bakugo in the chapter, we know he's a smart analytic and planner like Midoryia, but we never really get to see him take charge, so having him clearly state to everyone what's going down and directing Endeavor and Todoroki to accomplish the goal was nice to see. Then there's that reflection thinking back to all the good One For All has brought despite it being "cursed", and the callback to the first chapter with Bakugo rushing forward to save and take the hit for Midoryia, is really great stuff. Now if we thought he was feral before...

And then there's that AFO business, now I wonder if this is a similar instance to what OFA has done, taking over temporarily as a last resort for survival, or if AFO is now just in complete control of Shigaraki. Although I can't imagine he'd be more "aggressive" or "powerful" than Shigaraki's been this whole time, if anything he'd probably just have a better knowledge on the other types of quirks he has, which he hasn't really had the chance to use.
    end of spoilers