Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should the "Uncanny Avengers" idea be given another shot?

So the Uncanny Avengers book was marketed as X-Men and Avengers on a single team working together. The execution of that idea was... debatable. But is that idea of a fused X-Men/Avengers team still viable? How would you execute it?

I think it should be tried again. It was for a great cause and shouldn’t be given up on after one try.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Duggan's volume really showed the title can flourish. Remender's seemed more like an editorial mandate because of AvX.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Yes and no. I like the idea of an X-team that has non-mutants on the roster. But there's really no need for an Uncanny Avengers. There's nothing stopping any of the Avengers teams from having mutants, or being comprised entirely of mutants.

Extraordinary Member

It would need to be a true joint venture of the two teams, like Charles Xavier and Tony Stark bankrolling it together and Scott Summers and Janet Van Dyne as co-leaders. The big conceptual problem with the original team is it was just an Avengers team with some extra mutants on it, that's all. It operated out of the Avengers mansion, was edited out of the Avengers office, had nothing to do with the X-Men except for involving some leftover stories from "Uncanny X-Force." The reason for doing a book like this should be that the X-Men and the Avengers are working together and you can't say definitively which is the star of the book.

It would need to bring back the idea that Remender raised and then dropped that this type of team is partly a PR venture: the X-Men would be in it to get a better reputation for mutants after the way they've been acting, and the Avengers would be in it to overcome their terrible image among mutants. In other words, both teams need a group like this to rehabilitate their images.

Behind the scenes it would need to be either jointly controlled by the Avengers and X-Men editors or, more realistically, have an editor who isn't involved with either office.
    Last edited by gurkle; 09-28-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Yes and no. I like the idea of an X-team that has non-mutants on the roster. But there's really no need for an Uncanny Avengers. There's nothing stopping any of the Avengers teams from having mutants, or being comprised entirely of mutants.
    I second this.

How would you even justify it now? A Krakoan outreach program involving The Avengers? The X-Men don't really care much about PR right now.

Yeah, right now it would probably have to be mutants who are NOT allied to Krakoa. Off the top of my head, that'd be Justice, Firestar (both of whom stuck with the New Warriors), Dust (who's currently a Champion), Shatterstar (on Mojoworld as seen in X-Factor), Namorita (another New Warrior) and her cousin Namor (who couldn't pledge allegiance to Krakoa because he's the King of Atlantis). Unfortunately, all of the previous Avenger X-Men are loyal to Krakoa except for Sabertooth, who's being held prisoner, and the aforementioned Firestar.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How would you even justify it now? A Krakoan outreach program involving The Avengers? The X-Men don't really care much about PR right now.
    That's pretty much my thought on it. Krakoa changes things, and in no small way. Maybe the concept in reverse? PR for humanity Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I think right now probably would be a poor time to try something like this. But depending on how things work out in the end, the end of Hickmans run might actually be an ideal time to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I think right now probably would be a poor time to try something like this. But depending on how things work out in the end, the end of Hickmans run might actually be an ideal time to try it.
    ^^^Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, right now it would probably have to be mutants who are NOT allied to Krakoa. Off the top of my head, that'd be Justice, Firestar (both of whom stuck with the New Warriors), Dust (who's currently a Champion), Shatterstar (on Mojoworld as seen in X-Factor), Namorita (another New Warrior) and her cousin Namor (who couldn't pledge allegiance to Krakoa because he's the King of Atlantis). Unfortunately, all of the previous Avenger X-Men are loyal to Krakoa except for Sabertooth, who's being held prisoner, and the aforementioned Firestar.
    I think they should and that's how they should approach it. Have a few mutants who may not agree with the Krakoa ideology and would want to see a mutant/human group working together.

We know that sooner or later that there will be dome mutants who will be turned off by living on Krakoa.

Astonishing Member

The Avengers and X-Men are both in very different places from where they were when the original UA came out.

In 2012/13 The Avengers were the A-List golden boys, a veritable army under Hickman and a vast network of affiliates with the resources to match, while the X-Men were shattered and decimated and prone to constant strife.

The Avengers now are a shadow of their former self and a fraction of their power, on the outs with the US government and with Tony/Carol/Steve’s various screw ups having alienated them from the rest of the superhuman community. The X-Men however are now the dominant and most numerous team, at the helm of a superpower and having established (for their narrative) that the other superhumans are, at best, willing accomplices to the horrors inflicted on mutantdom and at worse the prototypes of the novissma that will destroy everything

UA coming back would be a good way to remind everyone its a shared universe; but you would need A) a writer of sufficient clout to make it the flagship book of marvel, B) you’d need a joint effort by both offices so that the X-Offices don’t play their usual game, C) accept that it is effectively submitting the rest of Marvel to the X-books
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 09-29-2020 at 12:43 AM.

All I care about is having an Avengers book with Wanda and Jan so, yes

Fantastic Member

Hickman writing it would be good, but I think with the Marcel landscape there’d obviously be aliens on it as every other week the Earth is getting invaded by aliens or having their conflicts settled on Earth: Asgardians and other Realms, Kree/Skrull, Cotati, Brood, Symbiotes I feel everyone is like we’re tired of these damn aliens as well as mutants. With the Eternals back, maybe one of them on there also a Inhuman if they come back. But it’d be cool to see Monet and Sunspot on the team
    Last edited by HipHopAvenger; 09-29-2020 at 08:27 AM.