Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

I'm ready for a different take on the Clint/Kate dynamic.

bring on Linda Cardellini. yes, indeed.

Mighty Member

It's kinda sad that the MCU made Clint a joke. I was talking about the character with a friend of mine saying he should dive into the comics and read more Hawkeye. He looked at me and was like "PFFT, he sucks". On another note, did Stan Lee ever talk about the creation of Clint and what he intended for his character arc? I hope it's not "well, DC had an archer character, so I thought Marvel should have one too". kind of story.

I think, the problem wih Clint in the MCU was that MCU Iron Man plenty of the character space Clint uses or used in the comics. I mean the quipping jerkass with a heart of gold and friend of his friends part. And then, the acrobatics were to Natasha which is fair I guess. So... he didn't have much space to hold in the end as far as dynamics go. And he didn't have a meaningful relationship with Steve either. Well, at least not at the start of the Avengers series of movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I think, the problem wih Clint in the MCU was that MCU Iron Man plenty of the character space Clint uses or used in the comics. I mean the quipping jerkass with a heart of gold and friend of his friends part. And then, the acrobatics were to Natasha which is fair I guess. So... he didn't have much space to hold in the end as far as dynamics go. And he didn't have a meaningful relationship with Steve either. Well, at least not at the start of the Avengers series of movies.
    I have the same problem with how they handled MCU Spider-Man's personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have the same problem with how they handled MCU Spider-Man's personality.
    I feel like with Spiderman they just wanted to make something different to the Raimi/Amazing Spiderman Movies whereas with Clint they wanted to go with Ultimate Hawkeye just less brutal and assholy, not realizing that brutal ******* is basically the ground Ultimate Hawkeye was built on.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Spectacular Member Ruby Quartz Diamond's Avatar

Of all the comic portrayals of Clint, the MCU went with the Ultimate version lol

They should've gone with Busiek's Clint. So many missed opportunities with Clint Barton. If only they had developed Clint with the same degree that they did with Natasha. (We could've gotten a great camaraderie between Steve, Clint, Nat, Sam and Bucky in the MCU.) By the time they gave him even a small degree of depth in Endgame, it was long overdue. Hopefully the tv series would explore of Ronin!Clint during the five-year snap. I speculate that Clint also helped with orphanages, homeless shelters and the underprivileged, and Kate Bishop was maybe one of the orphans who noticed him and looked up to him. She then practised archery and honed her skills before she went to search for him and finally found him which is in the Hawkeye TV series.

And I don't get how people watch the MCU movies and still think Clint is a "loser". Because the movies had never depicted him as such. There are so many examples where Clint showed his competence and that he was a force to be reckoned with and that he was more of an asset rather a liability to the team. He can definitely hold his own in his fights. Yes, I find him severely underdeveloped and underutilised in the movies but what I like most about his movie characterization is that Clint is fully aware of his own strengths and limitations and does within his ability to try to one-up his opponents no matter how outclassed he was by his opponents. It was never about winning, it's more of self-preservation and buying time for his teammates to complete their shared goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Quartz Diamond View Post
    Of all the comic portrayals of Clint, the MCU went with the Ultimate version lol

They should've gone with Busiek's Clint. So many missed opportunities with Clint Barton. If only they had developed Clint with the same degree that they did with Natasha. (We could've gotten a great camaraderie between Steve, Clint, Nat, Sam and Bucky in the MCU.) By the time they gave him even a small degree of depth in Endgame, it was long overdue. Hopefully the tv series would explore of Ronin!Clint during the five-year snap. I speculate that Clint also helped with orphanages, homeless shelters and the underprivileged, and Kate Bishop was maybe one of the orphans who noticed him and looked up to him. She then practised archery and honed her skills before she went to search for him and finally found him which is in the Hawkeye TV series.

And I don't get how people watch the MCU movies and still think Clint is a "loser". Because the movies had never depicted him as such. There are so many examples where Clint showed his competence and that he was a force to be reckoned with and that he was more of an asset rather a liability to the team. He can definitely hold his own in his fights. Yes, I find him severely underdeveloped and underutilised in the movies but what I like most about his movie characterization is that Clint is fully aware of his own strengths and limitations and does within his ability to try to one-up his opponents no matter how outclassed he was by his opponents. It was never about winning, it's more of self-preservation and buying time for his teammates to complete their shared goals.
    I get it to an extent.
    He arguably got less cool stuff to do in 2012's Avengers than anyone else and Age of Ultron kind of hammered the point home that he's the "weakest" Avenger. And when you compare Renners physique to those of the other fighting non-nerd avengers who are all so impossibly ripped that it's almost comical at times that might reinforce that sentiment.

He's also been much less athletic in the Movies until Civil War came around that even addressed that in part.
    It's no coincidence that the whole "Hawkeye is a loser" thing has died down a bit since then considering he got to fight 'TChalla and Iron Man who fight above his weight class.
    On daughter of one of the Russo's is a huge Hawkeye fan so I kinda feel like that made them portray him as more of a heavy weight than previous installments of the MCU did.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 10-28-2020 at 07:18 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

I'm kind of surprised they hyped up the Ronin stuff only for him to only wear the suit for, like, 5 minutes of actual screentime. But it wouldn't have really made sense for him to still be going like that for the rest of the movie.

I'm kind of surprised they hyped up the Ronin stuff only for him to only wear the suit for, like, 5 minutes of actual screentime. But it wouldn't have really made sense for him to still be going like that for the rest of the movie.
    I thought that was a sensible way to use it though.
    Mostly because most of the hyping up had been done by fans rather than the studio to begin with.

@something else:

Since we had the whole #winterhawk conversation earlier I thought I might as well share something Rosenberg tweeted just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenberg after posting a Bucky gif to answer the question who he ships Clint with
    It's not even true for many reasons but mostly A) I like Clint fucking up all his relationships more than I like him being with someone. B) I can't technically "ship" anyone because I actually write Clint sometimes.

I just wanted you all to know I see you out there and I appreciate it. And if you want to think about the best avenger cuddling up with the greasiest avenger, I'm all for it.
    Pretty wholesome I'd say.

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I thought that was a sensible way to use it though.
    Mostly because most of the hyping up had been done by fans rather than the studio to begin with.
    Yeah, it just seemed like a waste of a cool suit though.

Although they're supposedly introducing Echo in the show so maybe she'll use it.

@something else:

Since we had the whole #winterhawk conversation earlier I thought I might as well share something Rosenberg tweeted just now.

Pretty wholesome I'd say.
    I think I've had my fill of Clint messing stuff up to be honest.

(Is Bucky that greasy? He seems pretty clean cut).

Although they're supposedly introducing Echo in the show so maybe she'll use it.

He is, when he doesn't cut* his hair and wears actual clothing.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 10-28-2020 at 12:38 PM. Reason: I don't know why, I keep messing negatives.

I'll take one iconic scene with the suit over a full movie off a trenchoat again.
    And hey it might very well mean well get some flashbacks in the Hawkeye show.

As for Bucky: since longer hair gets in the way and he's a very practical oriented guy I could totally see him oiling his mane like a wrestler would.

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I'll take one iconic scene with the suit over a full movie off a trenchoat again.
    And hey it might very well mean well get some flashbacks in the Hawkeye show.
    The trench coat looked better than a t-shirt in my opinion. Better that than those shades.
    As for Bucky: since longer hair gets in the way and he's a very practical oriented guy I could totally see him oiling his mane like a wrestler would.
    I forgot about Bucky having long hair because of movie synergy.

The trench coat looked better than a t-shirt in my opinion. Better that than those shades.

I forgot about Bucky having long hair because of movie synergy.
    The trenchcoat kinda felt like the outfit was only halfway done and they just didn't bother to finish it imo.

As it was it looked like he was the most protected against the rain if nothing else.

But like, give the coat some goggles, a hood and some additional belts and whistles and it would be an alright steam-punk inspired costume.

My Twitter