Page 1 of 110 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Default Quicksilver: Pietro Maximoff Appreciation 2021

Welcome to the 2021 Appreciation thread for Pietro Maximoff/Quicksilver. Here, we hold fast against the Axis heresy and await the return of the Son of M to mutantkind.

A suggested reading list

X-Men #4 (1964) - His first appearance as a member of his father’s brotherhood alongside his twin Wanda, the Scarlet Witch. Their familial relationship with Magneto was not known at this time. They leave by issue 11, after Magneto is abducted by the Stranger and deciding to reject the X-Men’s invitation to join.

Avengers #16 (1965) - The story of the twins joining the Avengers after the original team leaves. They return to Magneto’s side in issue #47 when Magneto tricks Pietro into believing human security at the UN shoot Wanda in the head, grazing her temple. Magneto was actually controlling the security guard’s guns, so as to convince the twins to return after escaping the Stranger. They rejoin the Avengers after this was revealed.

Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #131 (1973) - After being attacked and injured by Sentinels, Pietro is found by the Inhuman princess Crystal and nursed back to health in Attilan. By issue #150, they were getting married. Luna is born #240.

Vision and the Scarlet Witch (1983) - Crystal begins having an affair with the human real estate agent that sold Wanda and Vision their house in New Jersey, Magneto reveals his parentage of the twins and their longest standing origin, and everyone has a very awkward Thanksgiving. Pietro had learned Crystal cheated on him with Wanda’s real estate agent because Crystal sleep talked about it while sick from Earth’s pollution. This had been discovered by Wanda’s friend Holly in issue seven, and to my grim amusement, is more sad for Wanda and not at all for Pietro. Crystal’s explanation for the affair is that Pietro isn’t paying enough attention to her due to working long hours to prove himself worthy to her royal family, and would divorce him if only there wouldn’t be a scandal over it. Pietro leaves Crystal (going on to assaulting random strangers while raving about it) and Wanda condemns him for leaving Crystal.

Steve Englehart hated Pietro so much he assumed that depicting Crystal and Wanda like this would make them sympathetic and reasonable. While this thankfully didn’t hurt Wanda’s image, Crystal would have adultery becoming one of her most recognizable character traits from then on.

Avengers Annual #15/West Coast Annual #1 by Steve Englehart - The Avengers are being framed for treason against the American government, and they soon suspect that it’s one of their own that has betrayed them. They narrow it down to Pym and Pietro, and surprise, it’s Pietro. He rants that he has been betrayed by everyone for supporting Wanda and Vision’s relationship and for Wanda siding with Crystal having an affair. He leads a team of Zodiac-themed synethezoids against them on behalf of America’s government. It takes Vision lshowing Pietro a hologram of newborns Tommy and Billy (before they were re-absorbed as baby hands by Master Pandemonium) to snap him out of it and run away.

Fantastic Four #304-305 by Steve Englehart - Johnny Storm and Alicia Storm née Masters (who is actually Lyja the Skrull in disguise at this time!?) are visiting with the Fantastic Four when Quicksilver kidnaps Alicia. He blames Johnny for not fighting harder to get Crystal back, and thus dooming him to marrying Crystal instead while Johnny gets to be married to Alicia/Lyja. To get back at Johnny for this, Pietro planned to leave Alicia in the middle of the South Bronx to be exposed to the elements. The Fantastic Four comes to rescue Alicia, and Pietro is defeated. The FF place Pietro in the same holding area that holds. Kristoff, an orphan boy that Doctor Doom adopted and placed a copy of his consciousness in. Crystal comes to see Quicksilver to tell him how’s he no longer loves him because she believes the long hours he spent working with the Royal family to earn a place among them meant he was a bad person and husband. This provokes Pietro into assaulting Crystal. After telling him that she’s going to live her life no matter their marriage status, she hires a nanny to watch Luna on the moon and joins the Fantastic Four.

X-Factor Annual # 2 (1986) by Jo Duffy - Young Franklin Richards has a dream about Quicksilver, and the mental influences Maximus placed him under.

West Coast Avengers (1986) - Steve Englehart’s long crusade to turn Quicksilver into a full out villain continues in #33-36, while flat out ignoring the previous stories not written by him. The story begins with the sudden reappearance of Maria Pym (Hank’s first wife and mother of Nadia Pym/Van Dyne), and literally ends with him being unable to run due to Maria creating a device to inhibit his powers, and thus allow him to be defeated by the Avengers. But it is later resolved in Fantastic Four Annual #21 by Edward Norton with the explanation given that the device also broke Maximus’ hold on Pietro once again.

X-Factor # 71 - 94 (1991) - Quicksilver joins the government-sponsored X-team, and issue 87 is the famous Peter David story that explains how Pietro experiences reality through the lens of his powers.

X-Men: Fatal Attractions (1993), X-Factor #92/X-Men #25 - Quicksilver is approached by Magneto’s Acolytes and offered leadership of their group as well as accepting his place as the ‘Magnusson’, Magneto’s heir. It’s what QS was called by the Acolytes before Marvel came up with the Son of M title. Quicksilver refuses, and in fact takes part in the X-Men operation to take Magneto down after he unleashes an electromagnetic attack on the earth after the UN tries to keep Magneto from coming back down from Asteroid M.

Avengers/X-Men: Blood Ties (1993) - A direct sequel to Fatal Attraction. Fabian Cortez doesn’t know about Magneto’s fate at the hands of Charles Xavier, and fearing for his life because of the treacherous bastard he is, kidnaps Luna as a shield against Magneto’s rage. Quicksilver and Crystal lead a team of Avengers and X-Mem to retrieve her in Cortez’s hideout on Genosha, while Exodus’ arrival further complicates matters. This and the previous story was part of Marvel celebrating both franchises’ 30th anniversary, and fittingly Pietro was seen as the tie between them.

Quicksilver (1997) - His first solo, which covered his marriage to Crystal degrading further, his first hint that his powers are actually time manipulation in meeting his future self Nestor, and being followed by the High Evolutionary and his animal men, his father’s Acolytes, and his own personal issues.

Magneto Rex (1999) - How Pietro was convinced by Magneto into staying in Genosha as a cabinet minister on his father’s government.

House of M (2005) - The infamous storyline following Disassembled which resulted in M-Day. This is where the idea of Magneto ruling with his family, the eponymous House of M, comes from. It also did terrible damage to the twins’s standing in comics as heroes, which are still felt today.

Son of M (2006) - The messy follow up that established terrigen as harmful to mutants, Pietro developing time travel abilities, forcing Luna to undergo terrigenesis after all, and starting a war all in the name of restoring mutantkind.

X-Factor: The Quick and the Dead (2008) - Peter David followed up with Pietro’s story from Son of M, which ultimately resulted in Pietro coming down from terrigen, coming to his senses, and regaining his original power set.

Avengers Academy (2010) - Quicksilver is an instructor at Hank Pym’s School for Wayward Youth as part of his rehabilitation and rejoining the Avengers.

X-Factor (2014) - Peter David has Pietro join X-Factor where he confessed to everything he did from Son of M and X-Factor at a press conference, and reconnected with Polaris and Luna.

Uncanny Avengers (2015) - Where the retcon that claims Magneto isn’t the Maximoff twin’s father because copyright reasons comes from. Ignore it. Just skip straight to the Gerry Duggan issues.

Quicksilver: No Surrender (2018) : A mini series following Avengers: No Surrender. In which Pietro gets stuck outside time by running too fast, gets a pet turtle he calls Mister Dibbles, and fights some kind of time duplicates of himself.

Empyre: Avengers (2020): Pietro briefly shows up and punches out a bunch of Skrull and Kree that were threatening to break the alliance. That’s it.

As we go into the new year, let’s hope Pietro is given a better showing.
    Last edited by teapartyofthedead; 07-25-2021 at 01:26 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Happy New year 2021 for Pietro

"To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Happy New Year to Quicksilver and his fans .

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Happy New year 2021 for Pietro

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy New Year to Quicksilver and his fans .
    Happy New Years, everyone!

I Hope 2021 is a good year for Pietro!

art by ??? in 1983

I have now come to the belief that Evan Peters will be Quicksilver in WandaVision. With ten days before the show starts, and no ATJ showing up, I think the Fox version of the character will be the one in WandaVision.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I have now come to the belief that Evan Peters will be Quicksilver in WandaVision. With ten days before the show starts, and no ATJ showing up, I think the Fox version of the character will be the one in WandaVision.
    That’s what I’m afraid of. It would be a damn shame if that’s how it goes. I can only hope it is just a cameo, or some way to give his mutant connections to ATJ, who is just being kept hidden the way the last big cameo was on the Mandalorian finale.

If not, I’m going to be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    That’s what I’m afraid of. It would be a damn shame if that’s how it goes. I can only hope it is just a cameo, or some way to give his mutant connections to ATJ, who is just being kept hidden the way the last big cameo was on the Mandalorian finale.

If not, I’m going to be very disappointed.
    I'm torn about this. A part of me thinks that if Peters is Quicksilver, they will give the CHARACTER the respect he deserves. I think Marvel Studios knows that the Fox version is the more popular though not more accurate one. For some reason, the MCU really wants people to forget about ATJ's take on the superhero. I believe Pietro will be given a decent-sized cameo in WandaVision too. So that's a win in my books. It sucks very much for ATJ though. If Peters is indeed Quicksilver, I have HUGE doubts that they would bring ATJ back. I don't think Disney wants to confuse audiences with two Quicksilvers in the same show. I could be wrong about that though.

So I remember back when Quicksilver was a mutant and then became depowered after M day. He then breathed in the terrigen (spelling?) mists and then got his power back 10 fold. He was now faster than he ever was.

So didn't he stop being a mutant at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I'm torn about this. A part of me thinks that if Peters is Quicksilver, they will give the CHARACTER the respect he deserves. I think Marvel Studios knows that the Fox version is the more popular though not more accurate one. For some reason, the MCU really wants people to forget about ATJ's take on the superhero. I believe Pietro will be given a decent-sized cameo in WandaVision too. So that's a win in my books. It sucks very much for ATJ though. If Peters is indeed Quicksilver, I have HUGE doubts that they would bring ATJ back. I don't think Disney wants to confuse audiences with two Quicksilvers in the same show. I could be wrong about that though.
    It feels disrespectful to both Quicksilver the character and ATJ the actor to give the role to Evan Peters. If they are indeed changing Pietro’s MCU origin to his longest-standing one in the 616 comics of being the son of Holocaust survivors, then someone like ATJ or Bálint Jaskó should play him. If they’re not, he should have been played by Bálint Jaskó from the start. At no point should he have been played by Evan Peters, no matter his talent.

Honestly, if Disney thinks audiences can keep track of Loki, Nebula, and Gamora’s fates in Infinity Saga and Endgame, then they can be expected to understand the idea of two Quicksilvers becoming one Quicksilver in a Steven Universe like fusion, that leaves ATJ or Bálint Jaskó standing.
    Last edited by teapartyofthedead; 01-05-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    So I remember back when Quicksilver was a mutant and then became depowered after M day. He then breathed in the terrigen (spelling?) mists and then got his power back 10 fold. He was now faster than he ever was.

So didn't he stop being a mutant at that point?
    Pietro stopped being a mutant the way a lot of people stopped being a mutant after M-Day: his x gene was suppressed and left him powerless. He hoped to regain them by breathing in the Terrigen mists. When the Inhuman Royal family refused, he snuck into the chambers holding the mists, and binged for days on it to the point that Terrigen crystals were growing out of him. A not too subtle reference to meth addiction, I suppose. He even insisted Luna take it, to gain powers the way he did when he was under control of Maximus. He may have been under his control at this time as well.

90F992F1-6E9F-4B22-AA5A-89DA73A5C9EE.jpg

Instead, he gained time hopping powers, where he could meet his future selves or past selves, and even travel to the future. With the crystals, he could give mutants affected by the M-Day curse a version of their powers that would go horribly wrong. This was the first clue that the Terrigen mists were deadly to most mutants. But during X-Factor investigations, he got the **** slapped out him so hard by Richtor, the crystals came out!

0B6E87E2-9CBB-4CBB-B0CA-F676E8B84A1F.jpg

He also lost his time powers. But then he got his regular mutant speedster powers when he got thrown into jail for vagrancy, but still waned to be a hero anyway. No, really.

D827FDEC-4A48-4C92-B0E4-381D2CE0AF6B.jpg

Then Axis happened, and now he’s a test subject of experiments performed by the High Evolutionary. According to the Scarlet Witch solo, he’s actually the son of a witch that somehow developed speedster powers.

After WandaVision drops, who knows what he’ll be besides still not appearing in an ongoing book?

Ugh, and Axis happened when I was really enjoying his, ahem, run, in Peter David's corporate X-Factor, too.

Speaking of X-Factor, I loved it when the government team all had their uniforms, and Pietro kept his classic blue and white. Purposely jarring to separate him from the pack, showing the individual loose cannon that he is.

Additionally, this scene really spoke to me as a kid:

"I seem to always find myself in groups, but never OF them!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Ugh, and Axis happened when I was really enjoying his, ahem, run, in Peter David's corporate X-Factor, too.

Speaking of X-Factor, I loved it when the government team all had their uniforms, and Pietro kept his classic blue and white. Purposely jarring to separate him from the pack, showing the individual loose cannon that he is.

Additionally, this scene really spoke to me as a kid:

"I seem to always find myself in groups, but never OF them!"

That sense of isolation in the crowd is one of his strongest themes, and Peter David really made that shine through. Stan Lee creates Pietro, but Peter David breathed life into him. I wish writers remembered how much of Pietro is internal, and that his arrogant and icy demeanor is just a facade. After all, he later chooses to wear the team uniform until he leaves. Then wears the team uniform again in All New X-Factor. He really does want to belong, he just doesn’t think he does or could or even deserves to.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    It feels disrespectful to both Quicksilver the character and ATJ the actor to give the role to Evan Peters. If they are indeed changing Pietro’s MCU origin to his longest-standing one in the 616 comics of being the son of Holocaust survivors, then someone like ATJ or Bálint Jaskó should play him. If they’re not, he should have been played by Bálint Jaskó from the start. At no point should he have been played by Evan Peters, no matter his talent.

Honestly, if Disney thinks audiences can keep track of Loki, Nebula, and Gamora’s fates in Infinity Saga and Endgame, then they can be expected to understand the idea of two Quicksilvers becoming one Quicksilver in a Steven Universe like fusion, that leaves ATJ or Bálint Jaskó standing.
    I think Loki, Nebula, Gamora and Thanos were different versions of themselves from different timelines. I could be wrong about that because Endgame's time-travelling rules are pretty confusing. I don't think WandaVision will be about time travel. So I'm not sure how ATJ can fit in there. It's possible he can appear in flashbacks. I don't think that's a particularly satisfying way to bring him back. The reason why I think Peters will be Quicksilver again is because of his hair style. It kind of resembles his look from the Fox movies (I didn't see them myself, but I've seen his character in action on YouTube). I guess I have lower standards than you. Any Quicksilver in WandaVision is better than none at all in my opinion. Wanda needs her whole family to be with her in this series.