Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Kate Kane: Batwoman Appreciation 2021

New year, new thread, if slightly late.

Some relevant links to start off:

Her Wikipedia entry, which I've recently been helping update and expand.

Her DC Database page, another place I've contributed to extensively.

And her entries on ComicVine and TV Tropes, which, you guessed it, I've also had a hand in maintaining. TV Tropes also has a character page that provides lots of good insight into Kate and her corner of the DCU.

I'd also ordinarily link to her current Respect Thread here, but I'm due to update it within the next week or so, so I'll save it for later.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Here's one of my pieces, showing what Kate's firstie year portrait might've looked like:

kate_kane_s_west_point_firstie_portrait_by_tbwmn_ddd9t1n.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

J.H. Williams III's original design sheet:

DesignSheet.jpg

One of my favorite things about this suit is that you can see a good amount of how it would be engineered. The one detail that shows up across artists that always gets me is the two clasps on the side forearm of her gauntlets:

Clasps.jpg

It's a small detail, but stuff like that really helps sell that the suit is an actual thing that someone has to wear.
    Last edited by Caivu; 01-04-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Happy New Year to Kate Kane .

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post

DesignSheet.jpg

One of my favorite things about this suit is that you can see a good amount of how it would be engineered. The one detail that shows up across artists that always gets me is the two clasps on the side forearm of her gauntlets:

Clasps.jpg

It's a small detail, but stuff like that really helps sell that the suit is an actual thing that someone has to wear.
    I can't really read the design notes, do you have a bigger one?

Bluebird

DesignSheet.jpg

Clasps.jpg

The gauntlet clasps actually help make her look more "militaristic", compared to the other Bat-Heroes. And, I guess, it works, given Kate's military background.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I can't really read the design notes, do you have a bigger one?
    Yikes, didn't realize it didn't resize properly.

Try this:

Yikes, didn't realize it didn't resize properly.

Try this:

Thank you! ...and saved.
    This is the original design but the notes are comparing it to something else that came before. Kathy's costume?

This is the original design but the notes are comparing it to something else that came before. Kathy's costume?
    Her 52 uniform, with the high heels, her actual hair, and the mask with no ear covers.

Her 52 uniform, with the high heels, her actual hair, and the mask with no ear covers.
    Its all in the details...

Alex Ross' original (intended as a Barbara Gordon identity)

One panel today in Death Metal #7. Apparently she also got killed and Blackest Night'd during the final battle (based on implications in dialogue), but wasn't seen then.

Bluebird

One panel today in Death Metal #7. Apparently she also got killed and Blackest Night'd during the final battle (based on implications in dialogue), but wasn't seen then.
    I'm guessing that's the case for the other Gotham characters who weren't seen in the final fight (we only saw Bane, Nightwing, Spoiler, Batgirl, Robin, and Batman, IIRC.)

One panel today in Death Metal #7. Apparently she also got killed
    Death #2 for Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Its all in the details...

Alex Ross' original (intended as a Barbara Gordon identity)

Ah that's right. Williams wasn't the first one.

Incredible Member

happy belated new year's kate!
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3