Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I wish Keanu Reeve's was 20 yrs younger, he'd have made a great Simon!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I wish Keanu Reeve's was 20 yrs younger, he'd have made a great Simon!
    Agreed. Keanu is always my first choice to play any one of my favorite characters from Marvel Comics:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

And the best for last...

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Mighty Member

Actually want to know what are these exactly ?

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I don't think he has the physique for the role, otherwise, I think he'd be fine. He'd probably be appearing in civilian clothes, and may not even had Wonder Man powers, in which case, his regular physique would be fine.
    Ha! The physique was the first thing I thought about. Though I'm sure Nathan would hit the gym big time.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Actually want to know what are these exactly ?
    They're the Wonder Man trading cards pulled from the 1991, 1992, and 1993 Marvel Universe sets produced by Impel/Skybox.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]OMG! One of my all-time favorite members of the Avengers! Hopefully, Simon gets to strut his stuff in the new year!

The majority won't agree, but I LOVE Simon's original costume
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I love Simon's original costume just fine. It's the Al Milgrom Christmas tree abomination that I can't stand (even when magnificently drawn by the legendary Jose Luiz Garcia Lopez).

Another shot, and it's painted counterpart:

Also one of my favorite looks for the character. Have to say I'm not too fond of the current one, either, with those wierd thigh bands and arm bands.

As much as I love the Simon/Wanda/Vision triangle and all of the drama that came with it, I'd like to see future writers move on. It's been milked, and I don't think there's much left to be said.

It's also something that in the mind of many readers, holds Simon back. Vizh and Wanda have been used to great effect without Simon in the mix, but I feel like a lot of readers still immediately associate Simon with the love triangle/soap opera and it's a turn off for them.

I know it's highly unlikely that we'll get a Wonder Man series again in my lifetime, but I wish a writer liked him enough to include him on a team book as more than a temporary plot device. It seems like no one has any interest in actually developing him. The pacifist thing was interesting for about 5 mins, but Remender saddled him with that and then left him there. Ewing and Zub gave him a little attention, but nothing worth writing home about.
    Also sick and tired of the love triangle. I prefer they foccus on other traits of Simon's life, such as his big time actor career (though I much prefered him as a stunt man), or the second Chances Foundation. I mean, an actor that actually does more than just talk big out of his ass about things he has no idea about would be an amazing character.

I'm a huge fan of Fillion, having liked almost everything he's done over the years (Two Guys a Girl and a Pizza Placve, Buffy, Firefly, Castle and now the Rookie), but I do think he's getting a bit too old for his big super-hero break. 10 years ago, he'd be perfect, though.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 01-22-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Mighty Member

They're the Wonder Man trading cards pulled from the 1991, 1992, and 1993 Marvel Universe sets produced by Impel/Skybox.
    I wonder if Marvel still continue producing these trading cards or not ?

Extraordinary Member

I miss the belt rockets.

I wonder if Marvel still continue producing these trading cards or not ?
    There have been more recent sets released, but they seem to be hard to find and very expensive. Like, $12 for a pack of 3-4 cards expensive.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I miss the belt rockets.
    They were kind of coool, but I actually don't. I miss the vast power set Wondy exhibited at the end of his solo series, when he finally accepted that his body was pure immortal energy, whose limits were only the ones he himself imposed to it. On top of his huge strength and invulnerability, he could fly under his own power, fire ionic eye-beams, change size, and even shapechange a little bit. He became more a Marvel Martian Manhunter than a Marvel Superman. Then, right after this, they decided to kill him and all was mostly forgotten. A waste, IMHO.

Peace

^ ^ ^

Don't remind me! Such a wasted opportunity.

And as much as I love Busiek for resurrecting him, he kinda latched onto the energy powers and ditched the wide array of other powers that had been established in the solo series...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    They were kind of coool, but I actually don't. I miss the vast power set Wondy exhibited at the end of his solo series, when he finally accepted that his body was pure immortal energy, whose limits were only the ones he himself imposed to it. On top of his huge strength and invulnerability, he could fly under his own power, fire ionic eye-beams, change size, and even shapechange a little bit. He became more a Marvel Martian Manhunter than a Marvel Superman. Then, right after this, they decided to kill him and all was mostly forgotten. A waste, IMHO.
    I was actually relieved that they dropped most of the extra power sets after the series. Simon never needed all those extra abilities, and sometimes giving a character too many powers can work out against them since writers may find them harder to use. Him keeping the ability to fly under his own power was good (although I did like the belt rockets as something rather unique to Simon), and every now and then we still see him project bursts of ionic energy. But the size changing and shape shifting (or time jumping, self-replication, magnetic powers, etc, if he started having ALL of the abilities the Crazy Eight manifested) would just clutter up his power set too much. He already hits as hard as Thor's hammer--he doesn't need all the extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I was actually relieved that they dropped most of the extra power sets after the series. Simon never needed all those extra abilities, and sometimes giving a character too many powers can work out against them since writers may find them harder to use. Him keeping the ability to fly under his own power was good (although I did like the belt rockets as something rather unique to Simon), and every now and then we still see him project bursts of ionic energy. But the size changing and shape shifting (or time jumping, self-replication, magnetic powers, etc, if he started having ALL of the abilities the Crazy Eight manifested) would just clutter up his power set too much. He already hits as hard as Thor's hammer--he doesn't need all the extras.
    I can see your point, still, I think it made him more unique than just another second rate bruiser for whenever Thor was not avaliable. It made him more versatile (of course, for when a competent writer gets hold of him. Most folks nowadays write Thor as a muscle bound moron who can occasionally call down lightning, and is mostly used for punching bag to boost the threat level of a foe or even of his own "next best thing hero" allies). More than the jet belts, I miss good writing.

Peace