Page 161 of 219 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 3272

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Haha Commander X would have been terrible. Glad for once that Liefeld got his way

Actually I like Walter Simonson's art fine. I have more issues with the later JRJR's art (very blocky).
    We can at least agree that JRJR is worse than Walter.

I've never been a big fan of JRJR - but his 80's run on X-Men was at least tolerable. I feel his artwork became more like Sal Buscemas later on (who is one of my least favorite artists ever).

Astonishing Member

I started the Man of Steel HC from John Byrne. Good times...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Almost finished with the 3rd X-Men: Road to Onslaught collection.

While there are a handful of good issues throughout these 3 volumes, it really has been a chore to get through.

My stopping point in X-Men had always been AOA. I decided to keep going with my latest read through...and yeah, not really impressed.
    In the 90's I absorbed both X-Men and Uncanny X-Men titles like crazy but only to realize later that the 90's X-Men era was mostly junk that I simply gave them away to my LCS and never looked back and not even buying those Tpb's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    After AoA, it goes downhill for the rest of the X-Men 90's. Steep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    In the 90's I absorbed both X-Men and Uncanny X-Men titles like crazy but only to realize later that the 90's X-Men era was mostly junk that I simply gave them away to my LCS and never looked back and not even buying those Tpb's.
    Well I finished the 3rd volume...yeah, overall not so great.

While the stories themselves may not be that exciting, I loved the art by Kubert & Hitch. But man...I really do not like Madureira.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    While the stories themselves may not be that exciting, I loved the art by Kubert & Hitch. But man...I really do not like Madureira.
    Then you're not going to like to hear this, but... the rest of the decade will be nothing but Madueira and others immitating his style.

Then you're not going to like to hear this, but... the rest of the decade will be nothing but Madueira and others immitating his style.
    Figured as much from flipping through the next series of trades

However, I am taking a break and jumping into the second Absolute Swamp Thing...need a bit of a palate cleanser ha!

Incredible Member

Zero Tolerance was horrible. I can forgive the tired "group of humans build new generation of sentinels to kill mutants" trope simply because it has always been a big part of the X-Men mythos. But the execution of this specific iteration... horrible.

I mean, we have a group which sole purpose is to exterminate all mutants - and they manage to capture (most of them a bit too easily) a string of the very most prominent mutants in the world... only to keep them all captive until they manage to escape. Bastion himself had promise, but ultimately fell short and amounted to nothing.

And none of the new mutants coming out of this era were interesting enough to stick around in a meaningful way: Marrow, Cecilia Reyes, Maggot (worst mutant of the entire decade), Joseph (interesting idea, but horrible payoff)...
    Heroes get captured and then escape. Isn't that like what happens in every story ever? Were you thinking Bastion would hold public executions? The ending in X-men 69 was anti-climactic, I agree. But then 70 comes along with everyone returning to the mansion at the same time and Scotty's swallowed a bomb, that was great character work. And yeah Maggot didn't stick around, but you gonna tell me you didn't like UXM 346 with Marrow or the Christmas issue in 341 or the fight with Wolverine in X-men 72?

I think Joseph's ending was about as well aa could've been expected given that he wasn't Magneto. "Hardest lesson to learn, kid. Sometimes the bad guys win". Yeah it wasn't Morrison or Whedon but that's definitely not "bad" writing. Alas..

Incredible Member

MAD was great! Who imitated him? Roger Cruz? How's it different from people imitating Lee or Liefeld?
    Last edited by newparisian; 03-04-2021 at 12:42 PM.

I'm gonna start with Firefly: Legacy deluxe edition.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Heroes get captured and then escape. Isn't that like what happens in every story ever? Were you thinking Bastion would hold public executions? The ending in X-men 69 was anti-climactic, I agree. But then 70 comes along with everyone returning to the mansion at the same time and Scotty's swallowed a bomb, that was great character work. And yeah Maggot didn't stick around, but you gonna tell me you didn't like UXM 346 with Marrow or the Christmas issue in 341 or the fight with Wolverine in X-men 72?

I think Joseph's ending was about as well aa could've been expected given that he wasn't Magneto. "Hardest lesson to learn, kid. Sometimes the bad guys win". Yeah it wasn't Morrison or Whedon but that's definitely not "bad" writing. Alas..
    That whole "Cyclops has a bomb inside him" plotline was one of the worst things about the entire storyline. If Bastion wanted to bomb them all, why did he not simply kill them while he had them captured and sedated - instead of f-ing operating on them??

I have no particular issue with Marrow, I actually think she was the most interesting of the new introductions in this time period (which, granted, doesn't say a whole lot). They could have done more with her, she had an interesting enough premise.

I liked Joseph more back when I actually believed him to be a de-aged Magneto with amnesia. But if you insist on going the way they did with him, they should have involved Mr. Sinister instead of that irrelevant woman whose name I've already forgotten...

MAD was great! Who initiated him? Roger Cruz? How's it different from people imitating Lee or Liefeld?
    Oh nothing is wrong with immitating/borrowing from other artists. I'm just pointing out that if you dislike a particular artist, you probably won't enjoy a long run consisting of him and a bunch of look-alikes.

Regarding Joe Cruz, I actually liked his version of Madueira's style better than Madueira's - but preferred Cruz when he did a Jim Lee immitation.

Incredible Member

That whole "Cyclops has a bomb inside him" plotline was one of the worst things about the entire storyline. If Bastion wanted to bomb them all, why did he not simply kill them while he had them captured and sedated - instead of f-ing operating on them??

I have no particular issue with Marrow, I actually think she was the most interesting of the new introductions in this time period (which, granted, doesn't say a whole lot). They could have done more with her, she had an interesting enough premise.

I liked Joseph more back when I actually believed him to be a de-aged Magneto with amnesia. But if you insist on going the way they did with him, they should have involved Mr. Sinister instead of that irrelevant woman whose name I've already forgotten...
    Re: bomb... Well that's like saying why do bad guys tie down James Bond with a laser inching closer to him, rather than just killing him? It's a genre trope. That's my excuse anyway.

You saying you didn't like UXM 346? Man, that is a stone classic. Also like the only decent portrayal of JJJ outside of some Bendis USM and Slott issues.

Re: bomb... Well that's like saying why do bad guys tie down James Bond with a laser inching closer to him, rather than just killing him? It's a genre trope. That's my excuse anyway.

You saying you didn't like UXM 346? Man, that is a stone classic. Also like the only decent portrayal of JJJ outside of some Bendis USM and Slott issues.
    I did not particularly enjoy UXM 346, no. In my opinion, it was neither better nor worse than the other issues from Zero Tolerance. Sorry.

Funny you should mention Bond villains, because that's exactly what Bastion felt like to me when reading. And the fact that it's a genre trope doesn't excuse its' use. Quite frankly, I feel that sort of stuff is an insult to the intelligence of the readers. I can forgive it in comics from the 60s/70s and partially 80s, because the time was different. But in the late 90's, I simply feel it's fair to expect more.

Just finished the world of Black Hammer vol 2 and I did enjoy it but I have to ask does anyone like Matt Kindts art?

Incredible Member

I did not particularly enjoy UXM 346, no. In my opinion, it was neither better nor worse than the other issues from Zero Tolerance. Sorry.

Funny you should mention Bond villains, because that's exactly what Bastion felt like to me when reading. And the fact that it's a genre trope doesn't excuse its' use. Quite frankly, I feel that sort of stuff is an insult to the intelligence of the readers. I can forgive it in comics from the 60s/70s and partially 80s, because the time was different. But in the late 90's, I simply feel it's fair to expect more.
    Alright I hear ya. What mid-late 90s superhero comics do you think were going above and beyond? Morrison's JLA for sure.

Incredible Member

Heroes in Crisis

Second time I've read this and my opinion remains the same. Like Identity Crisis, there is a lot of very well done character work here, of the heroes with feet of clay variety... Just wrapped in a very shitty mystery. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Definitely not gonna burn my copy in protest or anything.