Page 50 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That may be true, but ... well. That's not exactly a flattering portrait of Captain Marvel. I mean, she has such little regard / respect for Doctor Strange and his abilities, that she thinks she can suddenly become a magician with a costume change and a few lessons? I wonder if she thinks all she needs is scrubs, a scalpel and some lessons from Strange to become a surgeon? Not to mention her getting mad and looking for someone else to 'help' her. But then again, I'm not a Captain Marvel fan, so maybe this is an accurate portrayal.
    Yeah, I agree. It's not known how long it lasted in years or months but Stephen spent a good deal of time with the Ancient One as an apprentice. After his college accident Doom was directed by the Aged Genghis to another secret sect of monks and spent years there. eventually taking it over.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    The two new omnibus are both for Doctor Strange! One is Aaron's run, but the other is Sorcerer Supreme volume 3! And Marvel must be reading this thread, because the two covers they picked for it are these!
    Omg I totally forgot I posted those here!

Does this mean I have to buy two copies now...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    - Wait so Nightmare controlled Eternity, the destruction of Earth was a dream but also not really a dream? So when Eternity dreams it all manifests. Regardless if he's awake or not, some planets are screwed lol.

- Wiat what, did the Ancient One fuse with Eternity? Does this mean he's one of the most powerful entities now?
    Eto, I posted a little while back that there were some issues between the end of the 1968 run and the start of 1974 that you really should read. The Marvel Premier run of Dr. Strange, to be precise. In Marvel Premier # 10 (September 1973), the Ancient One becomes "one with the Universe"-- he becomes "everything." As such, this issue shows he is also one with Eternity.

It was a big concept and later writers proved that they didn't really get it. But that is life in a comic universe.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    Eto, I posted a little while back that there were some issues between the end of the 1968 run and the start of 1974 that you really should read. The Marvel Premier run of Dr. Strange, to be precise. In Marvel Premier # 10 (September 1973), the Ancient One becomes "one with the Universe"-- he becomes "everything." As such, this issue shows he is also one with Eternity.

It was a big concept and later writers proved that they didn't really get it. But that is life in a comic universe.
    Aah I see, thanks Tulku!
    I don't know if I'll read them soon(-ish) but I'll make a note of it for later.

I quite like this simple, three panel sequence that shows Strange dimension hopping from Earth to the Dark Dimension. This is from a story called "Who's That Knocking on My Door?" in Darkhawk Annual #3, 1994, written by Ben Schwartz, with art by Mark Tenney (pencils), Fred Fredericks (ink), Victoria Erskine (colorist). This is a short (10 page) story that shows that you don't always need multiple issues to tell a good tale. NASA scientists create a cyberspace dimension that accidentally breaches the Dark Dimension. Strange works with Darkhawk to seal the breach before Dormammu discovers what happened and realizes that he can use the breach to seize control of the NASA cyberspace computers and transform them into dimensional gateways. Strange is snarky (he insults some minor demons by calling them trifles and blotches) and Dormammu is uncharacteristically, but splendidly, sassy. I've posted a snip of him LOLing at Strange after Strange comments that humans are superior to the Mindless Ones because humans learn and grow.

Live Faust, Die Jung.

I like the clever use of the panels and the dimensions, it makes it feel like there's some motion.
    Also lol that burn from Dormammu. xd

Been reading Dr. Strange issues 16-20 (1974 run)
    only one question:
    Is this the issue where they nerfed Strange? Will he be less powerful/resourceful from this point on?
    Anyways, good to see the Eternity-Ancient One once again, shame he's taken away Strange's title, but then again that's what Strange wanted. No longer the sorcerer supreme, but he's still a master of the mystic arts. This begs the question, what's the difference between those two terms? I mean Stephen says he's no longer a God yeah fine but isn't he still friggin'powerful then?

I like the clever use of the panels and the dimensions, it makes it feel like there's some motion.
    Also lol that burn from Dormammu. xd
    hehe, yeah, that was good.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

only one question:
    Is this the issue where they nerfed Strange? Will he be less powerful/resourceful from this point on?
    Anyways, good to see the Eternity-Ancient One once again, shame he's taken away Strange's title, but then again that's what Strange wanted. No longer the sorcerer supreme, but he's still a master of the mystic arts. This begs the question, what's the difference between those two terms? I mean Stephen says he's no longer a God yeah fine but isn't he still friggin'powerful then?
    Hi Eto.

I like your reviews. Thank you.

In answer to your question, yes, I think Dr Strange was still very powerful. I think he could do all the things he did before that, but just at a lesser power level. However, his knowledge still made him a master of the mystic arts. At least, that is my take, lol.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

only one question:
    This might be the first time, but his power levels will go up & down over the next 40+ years more often than the elevator at SDCC. He'll regain the mantle within the next year.

To answer your second question, Sorcerer Supreme is a title, "master of the mystic arts" is merely a descriptor. It's sort of like the difference between "UFC Heavyweight Champion" and "expert grappler".

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    This might be the first time, but his power levels will go up & down over the next 40+ years more often than the elevator at SDCC. He'll regain the mantle within the next year.

To answer your second question, Sorcerer Supreme is a title, "master of the mystic arts" is merely a descriptor. It's sort of like the difference between "UFC Heavyweight Champion" and "expert grappler".
    Yes, and there is only one Sorcerer Supreme for the dimension at any given time. That person is the designated mystical protector for the dimension. Anyone who studies sorcery long enough could become a Master of the Mystic Arts.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Keep your budget flexible Doctor Strange fans. More news below!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    One Omnibus reprint and a new Omnibus for January 2022:

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Remember that time back in WWII when Captain America, Bucky, Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos all ended up in the Dark Dimension after the Red Skull's goons kidnapped the Ancient One and Hamir and stole the Amulet of Agamotto? No? LOL. Well none of them remember it either because the Ancient One wiped the event from their memories after they all returned safely to Earth. This strange adventure took place in Captain America-Nick Fury: The Otherworld War, written by Peter Hogan in 2001. The heroes are assisted by Clea, in what seems like her first encounter with humans from Earth. I don't think she even realized that they were from Earth. She thinks of them only as lost strangers who need her help to get back home. Fun story. The heroes fight some Mindless Ones and some other creatures lurking around the Dark Dimension. Dormammu gets ticked off at the Red Skull and flings him out of the Dark Dimension back to Earth, while the Ancient One astral projects into the Dark Dimension to rescue the team (and his stolen Amulet). All's well in the end.

Last edited by Clea; 05-10-2021 at 07:57 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Remember that time back in WWII when Captain America, Bucky, Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos all ended up in the Dark Dimension after the Red Skull's goons kidnapped the Ancient One and Hamir and stole the Amulet of Agamotto? No? LOL. Well none of them remember it either because the Ancient One wiped the event from their memories after they all returned safely to Earth. This strange adventure took place in Captain America-Nick Fury: The Otherworld War, written by Peter Hogan in 2001. The heroes are assisted by Clea, in what seems like her first encounter with humans from Earth. I don't think she even realized that they were from Earth. She thinks of them only as lost strangers who need her help to get back home. Fun story. The heroes fight some Mindless Ones and some other creatures lurking around the Dark Dimension. Dormammu gets ticked off at the Red Skull and flings him out of the Dark Dimension back to Earth, while the Ancient One astral projects into the Dark Dimension to rescue the team (and his stolen Amulet). All's well in the end.

Wow! This is cool! I admit, I had never heard of this ... it's a OGN, isn't it? And the art by Leonardo Manco is nice. I've got to hunt this down.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Omg I totally forgot I posted those here!

Does this mean I have to buy two copies now...?
    LOL! Yes, you do. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Keep your budget flexible Doctor Strange fans. More news below!
    O_O

Geez, it's like they are going to put out a Doctor Strange movie or something.

I'm definitely going broke next year.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?