Page 30 of 110 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Yeah, Reed is present day, but Ben and Sue aren't (Sue has much longer hair currently, that looks more like her silver age style).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Issue 676, and the Venom crap is over, thank goodness. And we have what I consider a nice issue. It's all downtime and family happenings, which Slott is best at. We also see a lot of foreshadowing with each cast member finding something that will become important.

Ben and Reed deal a bit with their future scene of Ben trying to kill Reed. znow, if this is what's really going to happen, I'd guess it concerns Alicia or Jo and Nikki. Or it's a scene that gets worked around to set the scene but not really be what it's supposed to be (Ben possessed, etc.) It's a couple of old friends hanging out and maybe dealing with overwritten emotional concerns.

Val's going all science having sworn off boys foureva! Yeah, tight.

Bentley's sweet on Val in a way they were too young for pre-Secret Wars but Bentley's being Bentley. And his family says Hi. Continuity traffic need to schedule this and Power Pack.

Franklin's an a-hole teenager. I've gone through posts supporting this as an expected reaction, but to handle it, Sue takes Johnny's advice. Good for Johnny to finally show some growing up, but man, Slott really can't give Sue anything major to do except fuzz over kids and yell at Reed. Franklin gets outside support and something huge is building, or this will be a fairly quiet subplot.

And the Alicia/Nikki relationship continues to build.

Oh, and Jo-Venn evidently snores.

I liked the issue, although it's more evidence Slott's critics have a point about how he mishandles Sue.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Yeah, just two weeks ago Power Pack sent Wizard off to jail, and it was supposed to be a long sentence too. No way should he be free to try and capture Bentley right now. Even if he got off because the authorities found out about Agent Aether not being real and therefore the Powers being in breach of Kamala's Law, it's still too soon. Should've been a few months (in our time, a few weeks in universe) at least.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-29-2021 at 11:50 PM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I liked the issue, although it's more evidence Slott's critics have a point about how he mishandles Sue.
    I don’t agree that he mishandles Sue, however he should be using her more.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The challengers had a professor on their team. Wasn't he a scientist?
    I had to check and apparently the diver guy became the team's science guy.

"Cable was right!"

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    At the time the Fantastic Four was created, DC had four teams of four adventurers.

The Challs were four guys who didn't know each other before their plane went down and they all escaped death. Then they did a lot of scientific adventuring. Sure, I see similarities.

But...

Cave Carson's crew consisted of Cave, a scientist, his brawny buddy, Cave's girlfriend, and a young man
    Rip Hunter's Time Masters consisted of Rip, a scientist, his brawny buddy, Rip's girlfriend, and her little brother
    The Sea Devils consisted of Dane Dorrance, a scientist, his brawny buddy, Dane's girlfriend, and her little brother
    lol

Never heard of the Sea Devils tho.
    "Cable was right!"

They had a 35 issue run starting in 1961. I bet they gave them their own mag (they'd previously been in Showcase) to counter FF!
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Sea_Devils_Vol_1_1

I heard of Sea Devils and all those comics but may not read them all.
    I was around 8 in '64 when our cousins gave us a big old box of comics from some several years before/up to. All kinds, all companies.
    Classics Illustrated, and all kinds of sci fi ish related comics of the era. So I vaguely remember that I may have read some Challengers or the like.

I've really loved the art in the current lately. I'm not totally unlikely most plot stuff. But I tend to like the soap opera stuff, so sue me.

If the FF aren't fighting foes or traveling to some new BEYOND, than they are a bickering family, playing tricks on each other or otherwise, NOT STAYING in their lanes - or in Reed's case, only staying in his one lane.

I think people want to see something 'evolving' about them, but I like the plots mostly.

I haven't read the latest here, but I'm intrigued by the Skrull child and what she knows, etc.
    I like the idea of Johnny having to explain things to Sky, Lyja and possibly Crystal. I don't think Lyja needs to be a leper because of her grand deceit.
    Don't we really see so much worse from other characters who seem to get a better pass?

I'll never get tired of something different from Doom, and as far as I can tell, they have more and more and more about him all the time.

I remember Inferno, I wonder how similar Johnny's fate may be?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Slott is terrible at writing Sue, so her not being used that much is a blessing in disguise for me.

I wonder why Life Story changed Reed and Ben knowing each other since college. It's a pretty random change for it not to mean something in the long run. Sue being a scientist in Life Story doesn't surprise me as many tend to make her one because having the only woman be the least qualified isn't a good look. I wonder how the MCU will handle her.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I would love to see the Stealth Hawk return.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I would love to see the Stealth Hawk return.
    The trope about having broken cars in one's front yard becomes kind of weird with the Fantastic Four. Seriously there must be someplace where they stash all the vehicles they've created and/or picked up along the way.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Not necessarily. How many were destroyed when a HQ was blown up, or confiscated by SHIELD when it was believed Reed and Sue were dead after Secret Wars?

I finally caught up with the issue & I have to say the disinterest I have in Franklin's Melodrama cannot be underwhelmed like IDK if it's Slott's writing but whatever sympathy I'm suppose to have for my boy the False God I just don't like not at all. Also I like Jo more than Niki can we get some more of him please I find the tiny killer Kree that sounds like a chipmunk much more endearing. Susan she needs a hobby, Reed & Ben I'd like a little break from them I feel they get all the character shine, Johnny please drop the bird lady like we're bored u don't love her I'm not buying it drop her & actually get your **** together & grow up evolve stop hopping into the beds of women and calling that growth I'm tired, u offend me with your lack of change. Valeria IDC about either IDK how old she is I do like that her & her brother actually look like teenagers but still like whatever you a smart little girl ok next!

I say all that to say I really actually enjoyed this issue.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Susan she needs a hobby,
    Or socialize again with other superheroines when their time allows. Like with Jan whom she used to see often.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Or socialize again with other superheroines when their time allows. Like with Jan whom she used to see often.
    IDK who Jan is but sure why not get her a friend, what has she brought to the table other than being a mom, & a stalker like go take photography class or something get a life!