Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

spoilers:
    As the fight between Midoriya and Lady Nagant continues, she explains more of her history with the Public Safety Commission. She was an assassin who secretly took out villains and corrupt Heroes, all while still under the guise of the Public Hero. She couldn't handle the stress of all her dirty deeds, while keeping up the facade, seeing their society as nothing but a sham. When she questioned her beliefs to the former President, he threatened her, resulting in her killing him.

As it turns out this is why she was incarcerated, and her killing a fellow Hero was just a cover-up by the Commission. In response, Midoriya proclaims that he understands how the world is more gray than black-and-white, thinking about Shigaraki's words, and that's why he needs to lend his helping hand, while Nagant seemingly aims her rifle at Overhaul, who Midoriya finally discovers.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Nagant's story just keeps getting more and more interesting and I'm loving it. The page with the kids and her hallucinating her bloody arm is genuinely chilling. She's effectively a soldier forced to also play the role of a "Hero", and you can easily understand how much that stress that erode someone's mental health. I like that her guilt comes from a combination of not believing she's worthy of a "Hero" due to how much she's killed, but also primarily how this all stems from the secrets having to be kept. That by doing this they aren't solving anything, just preserving the status quo, and just constantly taking care of any other bad apples that crop up rather than preventing them from appearing anyway. And then adding in the revelation she didn't kill a fellow Hero, just the Commission President (technically in self-defence), just makes it all the more compelling, plus painting a picture in how insecure HPSC is in making sure nothing goes "wrong".

It's also really nice to see Midoriya's response, recognizing the issues swept under the rug, which is why they need to help out and try better, rather than simply running away. It's also kinda hard to tell, but if her intention is to shoot Overhaul to catch Midoriya off guard, it'll be incredibly ironic considering it's exactly what Overhaul did to Eri while fighting Mirio.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    spoilers:

This is going to sound weird but it feels like the PSC is trying to be like the World Government from One Piece yet can't pull it off.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I've also seen people reference Shinobu from Yu Yu Hakusho as being similar situation to her too. There's also a little bit of "Minority Report"-esque in there, stopping the villains even if they just have the idea of doing something. How Nagant turned out also helps paint a clearer picture of Hawks too, that he's probably someone trained to be the same way, but has been desperately doing whatever he can to avoid being that assassin, while still working within their framework.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Inversed; 05-30-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Considering the game already has 3 Deku's (and knowing how people feel about how many Gokus there are in FighterZ), having a 4th Deku be DLC would kinda feel cheap, even if Blackwhip Deku would be super cool to play. I'd rather that be free or save for a 3rd game. Nine would be really great to play as (just make him a slight re-skin of AFO), but I can see how the boat may have passed for that.

I would say they really got their groove back these past 3 episodes. The 2nd part of Todoroki and Iida's team has some gorgeous animation, and the Bakugo team fight was paced perfectly. I'm so used to imagining Blackwhip as being all black it caught me slightly off guard to see the green tint (even though that's how it looks on the Volume 22 box), but it was still so satisfying and so cool to see just how explosive and dangerous it is.
    IIRC it was mainly western audiences that had an issue with there being so many Gokus in FighterZ while the japanese players welcomed them all more positively. Free DLC might work, I think Shoot style Deku was free for the first game. But I don't think they'll wait for the third game. Blackwhip is going to be Deku's new hotness this season, so I can see them wanting to capitalize on it this year. And yeah, the chances of the movies villains is pretty low, even if Nine, Wolfram and Chimera would all be cool me thinks.

It's so rare that black energy is just all black in anime (I'm thinking mainly of Ichigo's Getsuga Tensho from Bleach) so I expected a tint, green was a bit of a surprise choice but it works really well. I had forgotten how much I love this first apperance of Blackwhip and how it looks almost eldritch in its presentation. It really highlights how far Izuku has come with controlling it in the manga.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Nagant's story just keeps getting more and more interesting and I'm loving it. The page with the kids and her hallucinating her bloody arm is genuinely chilling. She's effectively a soldier forced to also play the role of a "Hero", and you can easily understand how much that stress that erode someone's mental health. I like that her guilt comes from a combination of not believing she's worthy of a "Hero" due to how much she's killed, but also primarily how this all stems from the secrets having to be kept. That by doing this they aren't solving anything, just preserving the status quo, and just constantly taking care of any other bad apples that crop up rather than preventing them from appearing anyway. And then adding in the revelation she didn't kill a fellow Hero, just the Commission President (technically in self-defence), just makes it all the more compelling, plus painting a picture in how insecure HPSC is in making sure nothing goes "wrong".

It's also really nice to see Midoriya's response, recognizing the issues swept under the rug, which is why they need to help out and try better, rather than simply running away. It's also kinda hard to tell, but if her intention is to shoot Overhaul to catch Midoriya off guard, it'll be incredibly ironic considering it's exactly what Overhaul did to Eri while fighting Mirio.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The page where we see a young Nagant get recruited is heart breaking because you can just imagine her being lured in by promises of becoming a proper superhero while the PSC agents were already planning to turn her into a weapon. Superpowered government assassins is a regular thing in fiction, but it's rarer to see them being made to pretend like their heroes, and for that discrepency to take such a realistic toll on their psyche. She really isn't evil, just pushed into a corner until she snapped, like a lot of the LoV members. I hope she sticks around after this fight, I want to see her interact with other characters, especially Stain. Nagant and Stain would be an interesting mix.

Between Nagant and Hawks I'm wondering how many more such agents the HPSC has and if they'll become more of a major issue for Deku down the line.

From her inner dialogue and the way she's pointing her rifle arm it certainly seems like she's going to use Chisaki as a distraction. Deku certainly won't ignore that, but I hope he at least realises that what she's going for.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I've also seen people reference Shinobu from Yu Yu Hakusho as being similar situation to her too. There's also a little bit of "Minority Report"-esque in there, stopping the villains even if they just have the idea of doing something. How Nagant turned out also helps paint a clearer picture of Hawks too, that he's probably someone trained to be the same way, but has been desperately doing whatever he can to avoid being that assassin, while still working within their framework.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    My first thought was to compare to how children with powers are used by the various evil scientists in the series A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun, either as experiments or as living weapons. Hopefully something more satisfying can be done about the HPSC than the scientists in Academy City. Which is to say that anything is done with them.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    My first thought was to compare to how children with powers are used by the various evil scientists in the series A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun, either as experiments or as living weapons. Hopefully something more satisfying can be done about the HPSC than the scientists in Academy City. Which is to say that anything is done with them.
    end of spoilers

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

I miss happy Nora.

I miss happy Nora.
    Same. Classic and Chibi!Nora are great. Here's hoping for more madness in the new Chibi Season.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

spoilers:
    Great we are getting Lady Nagant's backstory and it looks like Overhaul is definitely just the load.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    Great we are getting Lady Nagant's backstory and it looks like Overhaul is definitely just the load.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm surprised AfO didn't steal his powers. Why not?
    end of spoilers

IIRC it was mainly western audiences that had an issue with there being so many Gokus in FighterZ while the japanese players welcomed them all more positively. Free DLC might work, I think Shoot style Deku was free for the first game. But I don't think they'll wait for the third game. Blackwhip is going to be Deku's new hotness this season, so I can see them wanting to capitalize on it this year. And yeah, the chances of the movies villains is pretty low, even if Nine, Wolfram and Chimera would all be cool me thinks..
    I could very easily see the new "stealth" costumes from World Heroes Mission being included in the new pack as well (they did also just add the formal outfits from Two Heroes), so if Deku ends up using Blackwhip alot in the movie, that could potentially be extra synergy for wanting to add him in.

spoilers:
    The page where we see a young Nagant get recruited is heart breaking because you can just imagine her being lured in by promises of becoming a proper superhero while the PSC agents were already planning to turn her into a weapon. Superpowered government assassins is a regular thing in fiction, but it's rarer to see them being made to pretend like their heroes, and for that discrepency to take such a realistic toll on their psyche. She really isn't evil, just pushed into a corner until she snapped, like a lot of the LoV members. I hope she sticks around after this fight, I want to see her interact with other characters, especially Stain. Nagant and Stain would be an interesting mix.

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's especially interesting because the person Nagant was forced into becoming is what Stain chose to be, a vigilante who killed villains and corrupt heroes, so, depending on if she has any "revelations" after this fight with Midoriya, would she resent him for willingly being that kind of person, or most likely approving of him fighting back and taking things into his own hand. Stain's eventual re-appearance is going to be incredibly fascinating because it'll foinally get to paint a picture if he truly believes in his conviction, or if he has his own ulterior motives.

Let's just hope Doctor Garaki doesn't have any Clones lying around somewhere. The Nomu as basically zombies are fine enough, I don't know if MHA can handle clones on top of all this.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm surprised AfO didn't steal his powers. Why not?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The assumption is that Overhaul is a pretty tough Quirk to figure out how to use correctly, which is why AFO didn't take it, since we know he takes ones that are easy to control.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Inversed; 06-01-2021 at 03:25 PM.

spoilers:
    Lady Nagant points her Rifle arm at Overhaul, blasting him with the intention of catching Midoriya off guard in his hesitation to save him. However, Midoriya uses the power of Fa Jin, in conjunction with One For All 45%, to develop a "Faux 100%" becoming fast enough to knock Overhaul out of the way. He then proceeds to realign himself and use the last bit of Fa Jin to execute a "Faux 100% Smash" and defeat Nagant.

As she starts to fall, amazed at how quickly and easily Midoriya acted, he grabs ahold of her, recognizing that she's not truly on AFO's side, and that he knows she has the heart of a Hero. But, just as she's about to call him the real deal, she suddenly self-destructs, as AFO had planned for the potential for her failure. Before she falls, Hawks arrives to try and save her.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Lots of little cool stuff here. We get a bit clearer example of how Fa Jin works, including what we believed, that it allows him to execute a temporary version of 100% OFA, and just has so many implications of what could possibly happen if it gets stronger (what the hell does Fa Jin + 100% OFA look like!?) I also like the moment where he gets to outline how difficult juggling 6 Quirks at the same time really is mentally. Overhaul continues to be fairly interesting, showing no real interest in Midoriya, just his Boss, seeing how this could pay off.

And once again, everything with Nagant continues to be excellent. Her seeing how incredible Midoriya is doing things with no hesitation, the symbolism of his bloody hand grabbing ahold of hers, the one she initially retracted from others, her finally starting to see the light again, and the legitimately devastating tragedy of AFO's last trick and his damn 5 dimensional chess. I don't think she's dead/gonna die, but it feels like she may end up out of commission for a while, which would be a shame but hopefully they'll find some way to get her to stick around.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I doubt Nagant is going to die, she'll probably get medical attention, get better and return for some badass moment down the line to help Deku.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:

Let's just hope Doctor Garaki doesn't have any Clones lying around somewhere. The Nomu as basically zombies are fine enough, I don't know if MHA can handle clones on top of all this.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    You know, with Toga and Twice's quirks and enough blood at his disposal I wouldn't be surprised if the good old doctor could figure out a way to make clones. He probably didn't at this point since he was preoccupied with his pet project. But it's a possibility with his capabilities and resources.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Lots of little cool stuff here. We get a bit clearer example of how Fa Jin works, including what we believed, that it allows him to execute a temporary version of 100% OFA, and just has so many implications of what could possibly happen if it gets stronger (what the hell does Fa Jin + 100% OFA look like!?) I also like the moment where he gets to outline how difficult juggling 6 Quirks at the same time really is mentally. Overhaul continues to be fairly interesting, showing no real interest in Midoriya, just his Boss, seeing how this could pay off.

And once again, everything with Nagant continues to be excellent. Her seeing how incredible Midoriya is doing things with no hesitation, the symbolism of his bloody hand grabbing ahold of hers, the one she initially retracted from others, her finally starting to see the light again, and the legitimately devastating tragedy of AFO's last trick and his damn 5 dimensional chess. I don't think she's dead/gonna die, but it feels like she may end up out of commission for a while, which would be a shame but hopefully they'll find some way to get her to stick around.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm assuming that both the strain and raw power are less than that of the real 100% OFA, since that would draw back on the risk/reward a bit too much. Even if it is still using two quirks at once. Though, the future possibilities are certainly enticing. One of the main reasons I'd like to see a timeskip is to see Deku with all seven quirks fully mastered just once at a logical point in the series. The scene where Deku simplifies his actions is a good way of showing how he's still learning and thinking about his various quirks.

I'm thinking that Overhaul is going to be very disappointed after this fight. Unless somebody unexpected picks him up I don't see how this doesn't end with him sent back to jail.

The character work Horikoshi has done with Nagant during this fairly short and intense fight has been astounding. She just such a fascinating and complex character whose story has opened up new avenues to look at hero society and its darker sides. She's been a brilliant foil for Deku at this point and if there's anybody I would like to see a spin-off series for it's her. I too doubt that she's dead but I really hope she can recover and return at some point and that her story isn't over now.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    You know, with Toga and Twice's quirks and enough blood at his disposal I wouldn't be surprised if the good old doctor could figure out a way to make clones. He probably didn't at this point since he was preoccupied with his pet project. But it's a possibility with his capabilities and resources.

I'm assuming that both the strain and raw power are less than that of the real 100% OFA, since that would draw back on the risk/reward a bit too much. Even if it is still using two quirks at once. Though, the future possibilities are certainly enticing. One of the main reasons I'd like to see a timeskip is to see Deku with all seven quirks fully mastered just once at a logical point in the series. The scene where Deku simplifies his actions is a good way of showing how he's still learning and thinking about his various quirks.

I'm thinking that Overhaul is going to be very disappointed after this fight. Unless somebody unexpected picks him up I don't see how this doesn't end with him sent back to jail.

The character work Horikoshi has done with Nagant during this fairly short and intense fight has been astounding. She just such a fascinating and complex character whose story has opened up new avenues to look at hero society and its darker sides. She's been a brilliant foil for Deku at this point and if there's anybody I would like to see a spin-off series for it's her. I too doubt that she's dead but I really hope she can recover and return at some point and that her story isn't over now.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    There's definitively still so much about the Doctor's process, specifically how he was able to extract and replicate Quirk factors, that we don't know about and I'd love if they went more in-depth at some point, because it's all just so fascinating to think about.

Unless there's going to be another kind of timeskip, it does feel like "in-universe" the story has just a few months left, which makes me curious what percentage of One For All he will be at by the final battle. I'm imagining 50-60% feels like it'd be the most natural, and then they'd throw in some "Eri-esque" plot device to allow him to temporarily fight at 100%. (I want a full spirit battle in the vestige world so they can all just go nuts)

My prediction is we're going to get something along the lines of him begging to see his Boss again, they reluctantly take him and he uses his Quirk (however it works) to wake him up, and then he surrenders himself. It might seem a bit too clean, but I think this might be the best way of giving Overhaul some kind of "redemption" by fixing one of his mistakes.
    end of spoilers

We got an official poster for World Heroes' Mission, alongside an official release date of August 6th, which knowing how the previous movies went probably means North American release will be sometime in October or November.

World_Heroes'_Mission_Key_Visual_2.jpg

Probably the biggest relief is seeing some of the other students up here, meaning they'll most likely be involved in some way, since so much of it looked like it was going to be exclusively "Big 3 of 1-A" focused. I do hope we at least get to see, even if its just very smaller glimpses, of the other students with their Work Study Heroes, rather than it just being Ryukyu, Fat Gum, & Hawks only present again.

Also first look at the movie original character, a dude named "Rody Soul", though still don't know who or what kind of guy he is, and also the still unnamed villain at the bottom, who I'm still hoping turns out to be Quirkless, since that would just make him so much more interesting overall.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    There's definitively still so much about the Doctor's process, specifically how he was able to extract and replicate Quirk factors, that we don't know about and I'd love if they went more in-depth at some point, because it's all just so fascinating to think about.

Unless there's going to be another kind of timeskip, it does feel like "in-universe" the story has just a few months left, which makes me curious what percentage of One For All he will be at by the final battle. I'm imagining 50-60% feels like it'd be the most natural, and then they'd throw in some "Eri-esque" plot device to allow him to temporarily fight at 100%. (I want a full spirit battle in the vestige world so they can all just go nuts)

My prediction is we're going to get something along the lines of him begging to see his Boss again, they reluctantly take him and he uses his Quirk (however it works) to wake him up, and then he surrenders himself. It might seem a bit too clean, but I think this might be the best way of giving Overhaul some kind of "redemption" by fixing one of his mistakes.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I would assume that the doctor and AFO figured out a way to move quirks around with the AFO quirk at some point. But yeah, there's a lot of overall "How?" questions regarding the process. If they ever get him talking about what he did to upgrade Shigaraki we might get some answers.

Yeah, it certainly feels like the in-universe time frame won't be that much longer for the story, even if it'll take a few years to tell it all. Though I'd still like a movie that skips to like the class' graduation or a bit beyond that so that we can see them all work as full graduated heroes. Especially Deku going all out.

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody does show up to steal Overhaul away. While his quirk is a bit too complicated for AFO and Shigaraki it could still be really valuable for their side.
    end of spoilers

We got an official poster for World Heroes' Mission, alongside an official release date of August 6th, which knowing how the previous movies went probably means North American release will be sometime in October or November.

World_Heroes'_Mission_Key_Visual_2.jpg

Probably the biggest relief is seeing some of the other students up here, meaning they'll most likely be involved in some way, since so much of it looked like it was going to be exclusively "Big 3 of 1-A" focused. I do hope we at least get to see, even if its just very smaller glimpses, of the other students with their Work Study Heroes, rather than it just being Ryukyu, Fat Gum, & Hawks only present again.

Also first look at the movie original character, a dude named "Rody Soul", though still don't know who or what kind of guy he is, and also the still unnamed villain at the bottom, who I'm still hoping turns out to be Quirkless, since that would just make him so much more interesting overall.
    I do wonder if it'll show in Sweden. The first one didn't but the second did when they needed some movies to fill out the spots during the pandemic. Here's hoping that they'll pick this one up as well.

It is really nice to see some of the other students as well. I wouldn't be too much on seeing more than what we're seeing in the poster since Tamaki and Nejire with movie budget animation will probably take up some of those scenes. I just hope that they're all allowed to just take down some thugs or accomplish side missions during the movie instead of like needing to be rescued or something.

We haven't had a quirkless villain so that would be a novel idea to explore.

In anime news they've apparently rearranged the showing of a few events so we'll get the christmas party before the main focus of the My Villain Academia arc begins. Between that and how the pacing has been for the Joint Training arc I wonder exactly where the season will end. Since I don't know if they'll be able to make it through MVA and the Todoroki family drama, which would be a great closure to the season, without rushing any of it. But they have surprised me before.