Page 38 of 162 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    But he's mentally unstable to the point where he's not thinking straight and is weaving in and out of scenarios. He's having a psychotic breakdown so his reality is warped. He's someone who trusts his senses and his senses weren't reliable at that time
    That’s where it loses me, though. As soon as he finds out it’s the Kingpin behind everything why does the decent continue? He knows what’s going on and why. If things had just continued to get worse and worse without anything indicating anyone or anything then Matt losing his mind would maybe have had more credence.

Why do you say his senses weren’t reliable? Because he envisioned beating the Kingpin while he was still in the room? His sense were reliable enough to take out the thieves on the train.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 06-01-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
    - George Orwell

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”
    - Voltair

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    That’s where it loses me, though. As soon as he finds out it’s the Kingpin behind everything why does the decent continue? He knows what’s going on and why. If things had just continued to get worse and worse without anything indicating anyone or anything then Matt losing his mind would maybe have had more credence.

Why do you say his senses weren’t reliable? Because he envisioned beating the Kingpin while he was still in the room? His sense were reliable enough to take out the thieves on the train.
    Matt only reacted to the thugs on the train when they directly threatened him. He didn't do anything when they were attacking others.

If you're paranoid that everyone is out to get you then everyone is out to get you. He knows that the Kingpin is behind it but he thinks that everyone works for the Kingpin. He thinks Foggy betrayed him with Gloria one minute and the next he thinks he's talking to Foggy about killing the Kingpin and believes that Foggy thinks it's okay.

Just because he knows the Kingpin is behind everything that doesn't make his mental illness all better.

For the last few decades, Matt has been dealing with the duality of his nature. Someone who believes in justice but constantly takes the law into his own hands. He's had a difficult time reconciling that and it's been a theme for a long time. He had another breakdown during Ann Nocenti's final arc where he believed that he was his dad jack Murdock.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Oof. That art for the second arc was such a departure from Checchetto’s. Really rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Matt only reacted to the thugs on the train when they directly threatened him. He didn't do anything when they were attacking others.

If you're paranoid that everyone is out to get you then everyone is out to get you. He knows that the Kingpin is behind it but he thinks that everyone works for the Kingpin. He thinks Foggy betrayed him with Gloria one minute and the next he thinks he's talking to Foggy about killing the Kingpin and believes that Foggy thinks it's okay.

Just because he knows the Kingpin is behind everything that doesn't make his mental illness all better.

For the last few decades, Matt has been dealing with the duality of his nature. Someone who believes in justice but constantly takes the law into his own hands. He's had a difficult time reconciling that and it's been a theme for a long time. He had another breakdown during Ann Nocenti's final arc where he believed that he was his dad jack Murdock.
    It doesn’t fit the character for me. Born Again feels like a story that could have been told with anyone. Daredevil just happens to be the eponymous character. It’s an awesome story before Captain America gets involved too heavily but not an awesome Daredevil story for me. Too much of Matt’s actions here feel foreign to the character I know who’s characterization can apparently differ among some here adding or subtracting our enjoyment of certain stories. More to the point, even during Miller’s initial run he went through some stuff but nothing that I think would add up to drive him this far into this kind of utter insanity. But, again, I’m the one questioning one of the most celebrated stories in comic book history so take from that what you will.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 06-04-2021 at 02:25 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Oof. That art for the second arc was such a departure from Checchetto’s. Really rough.
    It was. I didn’t think it was so bad though.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

It was. I didn’t think it was so bad though.
    It wasn’t horrible, just not what I expected after that gorgeous smorgasbord that was issues 1-4.

Daredevil 600 sketch by Ken Haeser

- George Orwell

- Voltair

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Daredevil by Aaron Lopresti:

Sketches by Marco Checchetto:

Daredevil by Peter@My_Back_Hurts:

Daredevil commission by Dan Schkade:

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Sketches by Marco Checchetto:

I wish this run had come up with a new villain. I think Checchetto would create a pretty awesome design if Elektra’s DDs outfit is any indication of his creativity.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

I want a revamped Mr. Fear and Scarecrow by Checchetto.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I want a revamped Mr. Fear and Scarecrow by Checchetto.
    Mr. Fear would make for a welcome return. He hasn’t been in DD for quite some time but there was a Mr. Fear hired by Mayor Fisk during a KiB tie in series. Not sure if that was Larry Cranston or someone else. Mr. Fears absence from DD has been so conspicuous I’m wondering if there’s some kind of editorial mandate behind it.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

I wish this run had come up with a new villain. I think Checchetto would create a pretty awesome design if Elektra’s DDs outfit is any indication of his creativity.
    I suppose the Libris crime family are the only new villains that Zdarsky has created and even then that's not really a new memorable adversary for Daredevil.