Page 38 of 344 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I prefer Diana to be the only one who really has powers though I tend to view the average Amazon would be around comic book "peak human"/Captain American-levels.
    Diana being the only superpowered amazon with the amazons being essentially humans with superior conditioning is how I always interpreted the status quo. I hate the idea of all amazons being as powerful as WW; let's hope they never go there.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I like the amazons to have the strength of 10 men but WW obviously being superior due to her blessings by the gods.

I think Amazons should all have varying power levels. While none should be close to Diana's level apart from maybe an adult Donna, Nubia and Artemis, Diana's mother, her sisters and Philippus should at least be close to that level. They should be the comic version of mid-tier while Diana is a high-tier. As for the other Amazons, they should all have the "strength of 10 men" or slightly above. The weakest Amazons (non-combatants) should be peak human like DC street levelers.

BANNED

Has there been a reason stated for why Artemis is so much stronger than almost all the other amazons? Or at least she seems to be...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Standish View Post
    Has there been a reason stated for why Artemis is so much stronger than almost all the other amazons? Or at least she seems to be...
    Not since her come back in Rebirth. I think. Lobdell is really the only writer to have used her in significantly since Rebirth, barring a team up two parter with Diana in the main book under Orlando. I think.

I know Hippolyta has built in reasons for her strength but she also used the girdle which amplified her strength.

In fact, I think Artemis was also granted some magical objects that boosted her strength when she became WW in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Not since her come back in Rebirth. I think. Lobdell is really the only writer to have used her in significantly since Rebirth, barring a team up two parter with Diana in the main book under Orlando. I think.

I know Hippolyta has built in reasons for her strength but she also used the girdle which amplified her strength.

In fact, I think Artemis was also granted some magical objects that boosted her strength when she became WW in the 90s.
    gauntlet of atlas.jpg

There was also a spell that gave Artemis half of Diana's power whenever they were in close proximity which allowed her to win the contest. Despite reboots I like to think the spell still in effect. The missing second gauntlet is one of the main Post-Crisis mysteries, it disappeared with no explanation. Neither the gauntlets nor the Sandals of Hermes have been mentioned in years, as far as I've seen though they were both worthy additions that featured in several stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post

Orlando used her twice in his first run I think. Artemis was an integral part of the Aztek story as well as the Bana Migdall war.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I still think the quote stands up from the villain. What makes Diana special if anyone on Themyscria can be as powerful as Diana?
    How she uses her powers and what she does with them. This isn't as complicated or harmful as you're making it sound. Diana was able to stand out in the Golden Age when all the Amazons had powers like hers.

If it is about the tournament that Diana wins, why not go the William Messner Loebs route and magically have Diana be the same as the others just for the tournament?
    That was specifically done by Hippolyta so Diana would lose.

And yes I realize that Superman isn't the only person that survived Krypton, but when another 100,000 show up, that was when I gave up on him. If there were only 2 or 3 left, fine, but 100,000?!? Come on now! It sounds like the writers couldn't think of any good storylines, so they came up with the New Krypton crap.
    You do realize that New Krypton wasn't even a permanent status quo, right? By the end of the arc all Kryptonians except for Clark, Kara, Chris and Karen were dead.

And the funny thing is that I recall people actually hating that ending anyway so it seems like you're kind of in the minority on that one.

The idea that a character becomes less important or special because others can do what they can ignores the plethora of other reasons people follow characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The thing is, I've come to realize that the best thing about Diana is that she is totally privileged, which means that she has to challenge herself far beyond the standards of the other amazons.

And that's what she preaches to the world, be your best self, go beyond your own limits. So Diana doesn't have to be a normal woman that earned everything she has, she has to be a blessed being that made the best out of the amazing gifts she was given.

That's why I want to see the amazons use catapults to throw huge boulders at Diana for her to catch and throw at targets in the distance, and have her be chased by those giant sharks while juggling. Or more serious stuff, as long as her training equipment is specifically designed to challenge her superhuman powers.
    Diana is privileged because she's a princess not because of her powers. Without her powers, she'd still be more privileged than the other Amazons or anyone else who isn't a monarch.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-18-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How she uses her powers and what she does with them. This isn't as complicated or harmful as you're making it sound. Diana was able to stand out in the Golden Age when all the Amazons had powers like hers.

That was specifically done by Hippolyta so Diana would lose.

You do realize that New Krypton wasn't even a permanent status quo, right? By the end of the arc all Kryptonians except for Clark, Kara, Chris and Karen were dead.

And the funny thing is that I recall people actually hating that ending anyway so it seems like you're kind of in the minority on that one.

The idea that a character becomes less important or special because others can do what they can ignores the plethora of other reasons people follow characters.
    We will have to agree to disagree then

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana is privileged because she's a princess not because of her powers. Without her powers, she'd still be more privileged than the other Amazons or anyone else who isn't a monarch.
    She is privileged in both ways, and I think it's a great aspect of the character.

Prime 1 Studio and Blitzway Statue of Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Prime 1 Studio and Blitzway Statue of Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman

It's an awesome piece of artwork, but isn't it selling for $1200 or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It's an awesome piece of artwork, but isn't it selling for $1200 or something like that?
    A cool $1,429.99 with a non-refundable deposit of 200+ bucks.